OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#45

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, having followed and then stopped following this case, help me out. This was a string of murders over child custody, not drugs? Who was shot first, and were the shots not heard by anyone else in the adjacent homes? How were the perps caught/identified?
CRSR was more decomposed so it seems he was shot first. Yes over custody of the little girl, but an “undercurrent of drugs” as well.
It was not heard by neighbors as they used silencers.
They were caught in a bunch of lies and also found parts of the silencer on their property. It’s also believed blood from the victims was found in the excursion they sold in October 2016

Ok, having followed and then stopped following this case, help me out. This was a string of murders over child custody, not drugs? Who was shot first, and were the shots not heard by anyone else in the adjacent homes? How were the perps caught/identified?
There is a timeline on the first page that has links to everything known about the case by all the members. Lots of very good info.

I would have to go back and listen to AW's statement to Owen at FW's hearing last week, but I think she said the receipts are not "authentic." Very interesting indeed. JMO

Yes that's what she said:

"......Owen asked for the dismissal of the case saying his client had been charged with a crime that was not committed. “We want the court to take a fresh look,” Owen said. “It’s a matter of law.”

Canepa responded by saying the documentation that was given to the court showing when and how the bullet proof vests were purchased was not authentic. “We need to look at all four corners of the indictment,” Canepa said. She said there is much more to the case than Owen was putting before the court and asked Deering to over rule the motion..... "
Trial dates set for Newcomb, Wagner - Portsmouth Daily Times

Hi everyone. I taped it but haven't had the chance to watch it. The Oxygen show, was it any good?

Yes that's what she said:

"......Owen asked for the dismissal of the case saying his client had been charged with a crime that was not committed. “We want the court to take a fresh look,” Owen said. “It’s a matter of law.”

Canepa responded by saying the documentation that was given to the court showing when and how the bullet proof vests were purchased was not authentic. “We need to look at all four corners of the indictment,” Canepa said. She said there is much more to the case than Owen was putting before the court and asked Deering to over rule the motion..... "
Trial dates set for Newcomb, Wagner - Portsmouth Daily Times

Canepa was also turning over more evidence in discovery the other day, but one wonders how long this process will take in the future, considering AW and her attorney are leaking evidence to the news media. It could make the prosecution much more careful about what they release to the defendants, with good reason.

Newcomb Discovery

Why would they need to forge a declaration of guardianship for Sophia? Jake was her dad and shared custody. Plain and simple.

JMO, because they planned to kill Hanna Rhoden and didn't want an expensive legal battle to gain full custody. That's what ended up happening with Jake giving an interview, his Go Fund Me campaign to help with legal costs, etc. Apparently, they decided not to risk presenting the forged guardianship papers.

Great article/timeline:
Timeline: Eight members of Rhoden family killed in Pike County

A community in Pike County comes to grips with the murder of eight members of a single family all shot execution-style, most while they slept.

The Columbus Dispatch has been following the story since the bodies were first discovered in April 2016. Links to our complete coverage is below:

March 28, 2019: Judge allows grandmother charged in Rhoden family slayings to attend church
Jan. 24, 2019: Evidence lists reveal more details of Rhoden family murder case
Dec. 28, 2018: Subpoena provides more details in investigation into Pike County sheriff
Dec. 4, 2018: George 'Billy' Wagner III pleads not guilty to 22 charges
Nov. 29, 2018: Angela Wagner pleas not guilty to all 22 charges
Nov. 28, 2018: George Wagner IV pleads not guilty to eight counts of aggravated murder and more than a dozen other charges
Nov. 27, 2018: Edward 'Jake' Wagner pleads not guilty to 23 counts in Rhoden family homicides
Nov. 18, 2018: Exhaustive investigation leads to break in Rhoden case
Nov. 13, 2018: 4 people arrested in connection to murders
Sept. 19, 2018: Ohio Supreme Court allows newspapers to review Rhoden family preliminary autopsy reports
June 6, 2017: Authorities seek information about Wagner family regarding Pike County slayings
April 21, 2017: Rhoden family members plead for tips to solve massacre of 8
April 13, 2017: Pain still fresh for family of Pike County victims
Dec. 28, 2016: As Pike County sheriff is sworn in, he says Rhoden murders remain priority Oct. 22, 2016: Compensation is small comfort for surviving Rhoden family members
Sep. 29, 2016: Mike DeWine backs Pike County sheriff in murder investigation
Sept. 23, 2016: Attorney General releases heavily redacted Pike County autopsy reports
Sep 6, 2016: Unsolved Pike County slayings cancel Labor Day reunion for Rhoden family
Sep 2, 2016: Pike County judge closes hearings over custody of children who survived family's murder
Aug. 8, 2016: The Columbus Dispatch files a lawsuit against the Pike County coroner's office, saying it is improperly withholding final autopsy records.
Aug. 7, 2016: Regulars in annual fair event remember the Rhodens, for whom driving was a tradition
Aug. 4, 2016: Pike County sheriff: Rhoden children still in danger
July 26, 2016: Coroner, attorney general refuse to release final autopsies in Pike County killings July 21, 2016: Reward offered in Pike County killings
June 25, 2016: Rhoden family is tired of waiting in the dark
June 19, 2016: In midst of murder investigation, Pike County sheriff faces election June 14, 2016: Rhoden relatives vie for custody of child survivors of shooting
May 29, 2016: Five weeks in, Pike County waits and hopes for answers in 8 killings
May 27, 2016: Death certificates in Pike County killings reveal new details
May 13, 2016: Another week and still few answers in Pike County
May 12, 2016: Piketon homes where 8 were shot to death are moved to preserve crime scenes
May 11, 2016: Outside aid continues in search for suspects in Pike County slayings
May 5, 2016: Pike County rallies around 'heartbroken' sheriff
May 4, 2016: Pike County: Most media have gone home, but investigation continues
May 3, 2016: Family clings together as they lay 6 Pike County victims to rest
May 2, 2016: Six Pike County victims to be mourned on Tuesday
May 1, 2016: Pike County slayings put focus on Appalachia's challenges
Apr. 30, 2016: On a rainy day, friends, family bury Pike County shooting victim Hannah Gilley
Apr. 29, 2016: Children who survived Piketon tragedy will need support, guidance, officials say
Apr. 29, 2016: Pike County vigil honors eight slain family members
Apr. 27, 2016: 'A man can't bear it,' relative of Pike County victims says
Apr. 27, 2016: DeWine: Killing of 8 in Pike County is not a typical mass shooting
Apr. 26, 2016: Seven of eight Pike County victims shot multiple times, coroner says
Apr. 25, 2016: Investigation into Piketon murders a time-consuming, huge operation Apr. 25, 2016: Piketon residents keeping guns loaded in wake of 8 slayings
Apr. 24, 2016: Piketon homes where family died had pot-growing operations, officials say Apr. 23, 2016: When big tragedy hits small towns, first responders can pay heavy toll
Apr. 23, 2016: Town of Piketon comes together in tragedy that took eight of its own
Apr. 23, 2016: Eight Pike County victims identified as authorities search for clues
Apr. 22, 2016: Police interview more than 30 people in deaths of 8 Pike County family members

Nice!

JMO, because they planned to kill Hanna Rhoden and didn't want an expensive legal battle to gain full custody. That's what ended up happening with Jake giving an interview, his Go Fund Me campaign to help with legal costs, etc. Apparently, they decided not to risk presenting the forged guardianship papers.
So how did the prosecution get the forged papers?

So how did the prosecution get the forged papers?

We don't know, but my guesses are

• they were discovered during the first search, most likely as hard copies. Could have also found the docs on computer hard drives or in materials that were emailed or otherwise shared digitally.
  • Someone tried to file one of the forged docs

Just putting this out here again, to clarify that releasing secret GJ testimony with a motion to dismiss is a no-no

Prosecution 'shocked' by defense attorney in Rhoden murder case

In Canepa's motion for a gag order - something she verbally requested during Wagner's January pretrial and Owen bucked - she argued Owen came "very close" to violating a professional conduct rule when talking with the Cleveland Plain Dealer and Cincinnati news station WKRC earlier this month.

She also wrote of her suspicion Owen revealed grand jury testimony to a reporter prior to it becoming public when he filed the motion to dismiss. Grand jury proceedings are typically secretive. In court Thursday, Canepa told the court she was "shocked" the testimony had been attached to the filing.

I also wonder what AC is referring to when she says the receipts for the purchase of the BPV were not "authentic". Were they faked? Were they actually receipts for purchase of something else?

Just putting this out here again, to clarify that releasing secret GJ testimony with a motion to dismiss is a no-no

I also wonder what AC is referring to when she says the receipts for the purchase of the BPV were not "authentic". Were they faked? Were they actually receipts for purchase of something else?

The receipts are fake. If they were real the case could be dismissed. So now it will be up to the Jury to make the determination. If they decide the receipts are real and the vests were bought after the murders and Fred was only confused, not lying, she will be aquitted. But if the Jury believes she forged the receipts then she will be found guilty.

Just my opinion.....

The receipts are fake. If they were real the case could be dismissed. So now it will be up to the Jury to make the determination. If they decide the receipts are real and the vests were bought after the murders and Fred was only confused, not lying, she will be aquitted. But if the Jury believes she forged the receipts then she will be found guilty.

Just my opinion.....
Jmo I think Capena wants to verify the authenticity of the receipts. I didn’t hear her say fake. The state needs time to verify Jmo

Newcomb Discovery

Why would they need to forge a declaration of guardianship for Sophia? Jake was her dad and shared custody. Plain and simple.

I think HR had full legal custody. She allowed JW to have SW every other week and probably at other times.

The distinction is that JW did not have legal custody at all.

Unwed mothers have full legal custody of the child even when the father is named on the birth certificate (under Ohio law). He could have filed for shared custody but he didn't. jmo

I felt she indicated they have not authenticated them.

At 28:32 she says attaching them as an exhibit does not make them authenticated

At 31:55 we are talking about the vests, he is talking about the ceramic plates

At 31:13 attach unauthenticated stuff that they represent means one thing when we certainly dispute that

At 33:320 we do not stipulate to the authenticity of anything that he attached to his motion other than the grand jury transcript

I feel it's yet to be determined "officially" if they are authentic receipts. Just an interpretation on how I took it. JMO

My personal opinion is where are the ones printed before she testified at grand jury??

Just my opinion.....

Forgery again? Keep in mind, we're still not sure what the perjury pertains to, whether its about when the BPVs were purchased, which ones or how many were purchased or who purchased them.

We'll find out in July.

Reminder: Jake Wagner's pre-trial hearing is this week, on Thursday, April 4 1:30 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay