OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, I agree with you. Hope is in short supply for solving.

BBM
It does seem as though Dewine should have known what they were if his wife did. They did everything they could to tarnish the victims IMO. Had they not did that the national media would have stayed on it longer I think. I am giving up hope for it ever being solved. I think it might go the way of the Burgette and Newsomes. At least until they vote Dewine and reader out of office.

More and more I'm leaning toward LE involvment, and this entire "investigation" has been a joke.

I too am a private person. I understand your view and I wouldn't want any of my medical records out there for public consumption.

But I think whoever killed them has killed at least two times before them and at least once after. It is important to find them before they kill again.

AG Dewine and Sheriff Reader suppressed any national interest in the Rhoden murders when they alleged drug ops and cockfighting. They made them unsympathetic victims and the national news media dropped them fairly quickly. I don't think shows like Nancy Grace, HLN or ID would take them up because of that. So in essence the only national attention this case is getting right now is in blogs like this.

By releasing the autopsies, it could generate publicity and give other LE with unsolved murders, not just in Pike county but in the state of Ohio and other states adjoining Ohio the opportunity to compare those autopsies with autopsies in other murders.

If for instance LE in West Virginia has an unsolved murder where the victims were killed while sleeping and their autopsies are similar say in method (i.e shot in the same area, with the same caliber weapon, same marks on the body ect) then LE in West Virginia can say wait a minute whoever killed the Rhodens killed our victim also. By tying the two murders together then they would know they are looking for a perp that has ties to both areas, thus narrowing the suspect pool.

Also if for instance the victims were all shot in some unusual area, like say the pelvis, and LE in some other area has victims that were shot likewise, it could be a signature that would tie those in together and generate more leads. Or someone in the public who knows the killers sees it and says "hey so-in-so was talking about shooting some dude in the pelvis just the other day" and then calls LE.

I think getting the information out there for other LE in other areas to see and maybe generate tips that could solve this is important because of the secrecy of this case. This secrecy needs to end so the public and LE in other areas of the nation can help solve this.

I am probably saying this very badly but I think getting information out in the public is very important now to generate more interest in this case. Otherwise I think it will go cold.

But with today's technology, they could send that out to LEDs nationwide, w/o releasing it to the general public. If it is released, so be it though.

With technology what it is today, I doubt that we have much privacy at all.

But with today's technology, they could send that out to LEDs nationwide, w/o releasing it to the general public. If it is released, so be it though.

Very true. They haven't done this. From all that's publicly available, they haven't reached out to any other states to help solve this case. Judging by the affadavits and depositions in the court cases, they aren't working with other LE, either. No mention of FBI or DEA, nothing. Just the PCSO and BCI. A tight little circle.

Below is an article about Parma, OH, a Cleveland area suburb, talking with outside investors about setting up facilities for MJ growing and production.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...w-medical-marijuana?google_editors_picks=true

Interesting that companies are coming from out of state, working with local politicians to capitalize on big profits associated with this new business. Ohio was in the process of legalizing MJ for medical use when Rhodens were massacred, with Ohio government passing the laws a mere 2 months later.

It's just a reminder of big money influences in this business when a state moves towards legalization. One would think, in an area known as one of the best MJ growing regions in the state, that the same kind of high stakes investment from outsiders are also at play.

Wouldn't there be a lot of pressure from politicians to make sure growers, processors and retailers in their areas have the most leverage with state government to get the rare permits for businesses in their area? Are they doing any background checks on the companies and investors from outside the state who are pushing for approval? Could it potentially set up rivalries with local growers in SE Ohio who have been doing this illegally for many years?

:thinking:

Interesting video at link. No one seems to know anything about this out of state investor or his company. He doesn't look like a typical businessman. Wondering if all the local politicians are being solicited with offers from these kinds of investors?

Link to another article today from Cleveland.com about the move to require legal MJ operations to be headquartered, run and staffed by Ohio residents. Sounds like a good idea.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde...ical_marijuana_entrepr.html#incart_river_home

As it stands now, the Ohio Department of Commerce plans to award up to 12 large grow licenses and 12 small grow licenses statewide, based on criteria including a company's business plan, security measures and industry experience.

Proof that the company is headquartered in Ohio, owned by Ohioans and plans to hire in-state workers factor into the review but are not required.

Residency requirements have been part of several other states' medical and recreational marijuana programs. For example, Colorado required licensees live in the state at least two years before applying for a license. Lawmakers there recently reduced the requirement to one year and allowed greater out-of-state investment.

Bringing this up because the growing competition to be part of the MJ legalization scheme in Ohio should definitely be a part of the Rhoden murders investigation. It's a lot of money at stake for the state and local communities. For instance, is there a concern among MJ investors that local growers will continue to grow illegally and flood the market with their product? Lots of scenarios to consider and I hope LE has been looking into it.

Below is an article about Parma, OH, a Cleveland area suburb, talking with outside investors about setting up facilities for MJ growing and production.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...w-medical-marijuana?google_editors_picks=true

Interesting that companies are coming from out of state, working with local politicians to capitalize on big profits associated with this new business. Ohio was in the process of legalizing MJ for medical use when Rhodens were massacred, with Ohio government passing the laws a mere 2 months later.

It's just a reminder of big money influences in this business when a state moves towards legalization. One would think, in an area known as one of the best MJ growing regions in the state, that the same kind of high stakes investment from outsiders are also at play.

Wouldn't there be a lot of pressure from politicians to make sure growers, processors and retailers in their areas have the most leverage with state government to get the rare permits for businesses in their area? Are they doing any background checks on the companies and investors from outside the state who are pushing for approval? Could it potentially set up rivalries with local growers in SE Ohio who have been doing this illegally for many years?

:thinking:

Interesting video at link. No one seems to know anything about this out of state investor or his company. He doesn't look like a typical businessman. Wondering if all the local politicians are being solicited with offers from these kinds of investors?

The original Marijuana bill that was voted down had potential growers paying $200,000 to be considered for a permit to grow. That left out a lot of people unless you were rich or had financial backing from someone brave. The current administration says they are going to crack down on marijuana casual use. It is still a federal offense in states that made it legal. There could be some interesting court battles between the states and federal government over this.

I never followed the marijuana issue closely at all, although here and there I read some. You are speaking of growers for commercial sale? I THOUGHT I read where the average person could have a few plants of their own, for personal use only and could only have a certain amount on hand. I am not sure if any medical documentation is required to do this.
My belief is some of the Rhoden family has just that...a few plants. It's a shame they were made to sound like huge growers or something early on, which turned people away.
They are the true victims here after all.
FWIW, my personal feeling on marijuana is that it grew here naturally. Not like all these other things folks get hooked on that's literally deadly when laced with fentanyl or whatever.

I know it's disheartening to all of us while things are quiet. It gets me too. Knowing who did something and proving it in court are WAY different, I can tell you yes, arrests will come. When, I don't know, but the case is quite active.I
I will say this needs prosecuted outside of Pike County and Junk needs to be no part of it.
I am quite anxious to hear the presser that better come out for the One year anniversary.

Sheriff Reader posted on Facebook a video where he reports the activities of the PCSD. This video is intended to the general public.

He speaks briefly about the case. What did you think of it?

I never followed the marijuana issue closely at all, although here and there I read some. You are speaking of growers for commercial sale? I THOUGHT I read where the average person could have a few plants of their own, for personal use only and could only have a certain amount on hand. I am not sure if any medical documentation is required to do this.
My belief is some of the Rhoden family has just that...a few plants. It's a shame they were made to sound like huge growers or something early on, which turned people away.
FWIW, my personal feeling on marijuana is that it grew here naturally. Not like all these other things folks get hooked on that's literally deadly when laced with fentanyl or whatever.

I know it's disheartening to all of us while things are quiet. It gets me too. Knowing who did something and proving it in court are WAY different, I can tell you yes, arrests will come. When, I don't know, but the case is quite active.I
I will say this needs prosecuted outside of Pike County and Junk needs to be no part of it.
I am quite anxious to hear the presser that better come out for the One year anniversary.

Ohio's new law will only allow a couple dozen commercial grow ops in the state. They'll only be given permits after review by a "board" of "experts". Personal cultivation of just a few plants for personal use or sale will still be illegal. Ohio government is in this for the tax money and to help wealthy businessmen.

https://www.facebook.com/pikecoso/?pnref=story

In addition to being public on his personal page - The video update is also posted to the official PCSD Facebook page so clearly Sheriff Reader means it for public distribution. It is linked above.

In addition to being public on his personal page - The video update is also posted to the official PCSD Facebook page so clearly Sheriff Reader means it for public distribution. It is linked above.

Thanks for the link!

I didn't hear much discussion of the case, didn't sound like there's anything new. He mentions they turned it over to BCI, which we already knew. They did that early on. From the affadavits & deposition from the Pike Co coroner, BCI was coordinating the investigation in the first hour or so after discovery of the bodies. On the way to the crime scenes, the coroner says he was diverted to talk to BCI who coordinated the coroners and others activities at the crime scenes.

Otherwise, Reader wants to build a new jail after their last one was condemned. He has more deputies on patrol to crack down on drugs and violent crime. They busted a narcotics dealer from Dayton, OH. They're encouraging people to seek their help in getting treatment for drug addiction. Sending officers to schools to talk about drugs, bullying and sexting. Mostly routine stuff for a rural sheriff's dept.

Anyone else pick up anything of note? I may have missed something.

Sheriff Reader posted on Facebook a video where he reports the activities of the PCSD. This video is intended to the general public.

He speaks briefly about the case. What did you think of it?

Well, it was nice hearing about improvements he has made. He really is doing quite well from a local standpoint with what he has, I have to give him that. It's like he's the first real sheriff we have had, available and trying to get things done. Certainly not an adequate Rhoden case update however.

What I took from it is the dept is facing a lot of challenges, the Rhoden case being just one of many.

What I took from it is the dept is facing a lot of challenges, the Rhoden case being just one of many.

Absolutely. These counties are often stretched very thin for revenue. The state has cut many of their budgets and enacted tax cuts that reduce their operating revenue. Many of the towns in these rural counties don't have their own police force and must rely on their county sheriff. Grew up in one and back in the 60's. If there was a problem you knew it would take the deputy at least half an hour to get there. He also mentioned the cold case task force to solve older murder cases. It was in the news a while back. He also mentioned they formed a task force with other counties in the area. Assume they're doing that for all criminal activity.

Yes, the upfront money was to be a commercial grower. No other growers would have been legal except those that paid $200,000 to be a grower. Not even one or two plants. The laws are changing constantly.
The way the Ohio law is heading, no smokable marijuana will be legal and it will be available by prescription only.

Thanks for the link!

I didn't hear much discussion of the case, didn't sound like there's anything new. He mentions they turned it over to BCI, which we already knew. They did that early on. From the affadavits & deposition from the Pike Co coroner, BCI was coordinating the investigation in the first hour or so after discovery of the bodies. On the way to the crime scenes, the coroner says he was diverted to talk to BCI who coordinated the coroners and others activities at the crime scenes.

Otherwise, Reader wants to build a new jail after their last one was condemned. He has more deputies on patrol to crack down on drugs and violent crime. They busted a narcotics dealer from Dayton, OH. They're encouraging people to seek their help in getting treatment for drug addiction. Sending officers to schools to talk about drugs, bullying and sexting. Mostly routine stuff for a rural sheriff's dept.

Anyone else pick up anything of note? I may have missed something.

Typical small town sheriff boasting up their department. Nothing against Reader. They do it here too. Let's give a FB chat, where no one can ask questions, tell the people what we do everyday and build it up...then let's all sign off and smile, and have some good "feels" about our reaching out to the community, afterward. I heard nothing but the usual small town b.s. that they put out when they have a gigantic problem w/no answers to give the community. So, they update them with all of the lovely things they've been doing. Brag on themselves a bit, send out a tough message to the dealers, beg the addicts to seek help, etc... Smoke and mirrors.

In other words, THE BCI is responsible for anything that happens or does not happen. Reader is just assisting them. He is likely being told what he can and can not do in the Rhoden case. DeWine is in control. I suppose the case will get solved closer to the time campaigning for Governor starts...

Absolutely. These counties are often stretched very thin for revenue. The state has cut many of their budgets and enacted tax cuts that reduce their operating revenue. Many of the towns in these rural counties don't have their own police force and must rely on their county sheriff. Grew up in one and back in the 60's. If there was a problem you knew it would take the deputy at least half an hour to get there. He also mentioned the cold case task force to solve older murder cases. It was in the news a while back. He also mentioned they formed a task force with other counties in the area. Assume they're doing that for all criminal activity.

A lot of them, w/new toys and new personnel, and task forces, (not saying this is the case in Pike County, OH) get those things from the gross abuse of Civil Forfeiture. J.s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove