OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Proof to back up ANY claims made by LE would be a good start. They seem happy to let the public guess if they are doing things for a valid reason or if they are totally incompetent...

I truly believe this is the main reason they are being so hush-hush with this case -- not only because they have little evidence and no clue whose responsible but to hide their incompetence and avoid public criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHIO said tonight that Reader and DeWine will hold a press conference tomorrow about this case. No mention of what time.

Interesting. It sounds like they want to keep national news media out. It may not make a difference because the national news media will likely be camping out in Pike County next week covering this story and the lack of any progress. But, yeah, they want news media interest in this case to disappear.

ETA: News conference is scheduled for 10:45 am today. Link below says News10 will cover it live

http://www.10tv.com/article/officials-provide-update-rhoden-family-murder-investigation

I'm not a local. Is there a link someone could provide that would allow me to watch it live? TIA

[video=youtube;-g60m6EVNLs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g60m6EVNLs[/video]

Just checking in now. Not sure how long it's been going on.

Reader talking. Asking for people to help with more reward money. Feels empathy for families.

Reporter asking for help from FBI, etc. DeWine says FBI is helping. Early on. They reach out to FBI when they need help. Says DEA has been invovled, too.

DeWine says he agrees with Reader. Now encourages people to donate to reward fund.

Reader talking - says news media has been treating family bad. People need to help raise the reward fund.

I wish someone would ask if FBI and DEA are involved on a day to day or week to week basis

DeWine tells us this is a homicide investigation. Uh huh. If someone has info but has other criminal activity, "we'll be fair with people who come forward".

Do you think you've been misled? Reader: yes. Information may be part truth, not all truth. May give information up to point when they could incriminate themselves eg for possible drug activity. Even if they incriminate themselves, they're working with them. Not very specific.

Also some limit information in interviews because of fear of retaliation from others.

DeWine: No different than other similar investigations. People sometimes limit what they say for fear of recrimination, incrimination.

Murders done by someone who knew what they were doing

Can't hear reporters questions

Thank you for all the updates. My dang kids are out of school and I'm having difficulty following the live feed with kids.

Reader: Children are doing well, in foster care. Immediate family members do have visitation. That's going on, they communicate and visit. Family are able to see them.

Reader still feels like they are local to the area. Its obvious someone knew the area and family well. Wherever they are "some" had to be local.

DeWine: Not sure perps will watch this news conference. We're going to find you, etc. etc.

Reporter asking about nearby major drug bust just prior. What significance?

DeWine: No, can't say. Misunderstanding about how many locations had MJ. He now says 2. Doesn't want to talk about grow op. He says clearly a commercial operation

Chris R & Kenneth's residence had grow ops. Asst prosecutor named Angie gave the statement. She's working on this case. (They could have given more detail long before now)

Were they involved in other drugs? DeWine: Not going to answer that

DeWine we have clearer picture not enough to make arrest

Not going to get into a lot of details

Reporter asking question he won't answer

DeWine understands residents of Pike County frustration. He and Reader are deeply frustrated. Continue to guide and make resources available. Doing all in their power, not going to stop, etc etc. yadda yadda

We're not to the point of diminishing returns. Still running things down. Learned a lot, but there's a lot to learn

Not a cold case

What do you have in place to make sure witnesses are protected? Will shield them from public knowledge. No word will get out. (Sorry IMO that's not much)
Focus on homicide. People should come forward because it's a homicide regardless if they incriminate themselves or are at risk of recrimination.

Decisions made by LE every day.

Report: You're elected officials, if not solved, but at some point you won't get re-elected. Are you confident the pressure will remain on even after you leave? DeWine's term is limited but he thinks professionals on case will still keep investigating.

Anyone in custody? No comment

DeWine: Investigators are focused. Don't like knowing other crimes people have committed, that's not their focus.

How many people have been interviewed? DeWine won't say. He'll see if he can come up with it. Some have been interviewed multiple times.

DeWine: if he leaves for higher office, AG will still follow

End

Will wait til they post the full PC. I only heard a portion.

Didnt hear a lot of new information. Some things cleared up, things they could have cleared up months ago (how many grow ops?)

ETA: New info that I heard

1. There were only 2 grow ops - at Chris Sr and Kenneth R's homes. DeWine still calls them "commercial".

2. There is an assistant prosecutor from DeWine's office working on the investigation named Angela. Never heard of her before. Has anyone seen or heard of her working on the case? Does she go to Pike County? Has anyone seen her there personally investigating anything?

3. Family members are having regular visitation with the orphaned child survivors of the massacre. They communicate and have visitation.

Please feel free to add anything else you may have heard.

Reader: Children are doing well, in foster care. Immediate family members do have visitation. That's going on, they communicate and visit. Family are able to see them.

Reader still feels like they are local to the area. Its obvious someone knew the area and family well. Wherever they are "some" had to be local.

DeWine: Not sure perps will watch this news conference. We're going to find you, etc. etc.

Reporter asking about nearby major drug bust just prior. What significance?

DeWine: No, can't say. Misunderstanding about how many locations had MJ. He now says 2. Doesn't want to talk about grow op. He says clearly a commercial operation

Chris R & Kenneth's residence had grow ops. Asst prosecutor named Angie gave the statement. She's working on this case. (They could have given more detail long before now)

Were they involved in other drugs? DeWine: Not going to answer that

DeWine we have clearer picture not enough to make arrest

Not going to get into a lot of details

Reporter asking question he won't answer

DeWine understands residents of Pike County frustration. He and Reader are deeply frustrated. Continue to guide and make resources available. Doing all in their power, not going to stop, etc etc. yadda yadda

We're not to the point of diminishing returns. Still running things down. Learned a lot, but there's a lot to learn

Not a cold case

What do you have in place to make sure witnesses are protected? Will shield them from public knowledge. No word will get out. (Sorry IMO that's not much)
Focus on homicide. People should come forward because it's a homicide regardless if they incriminate themselves or are at risk of recrimination.

Decisions made by LE every day.

Report: You're elected officials, if not solved, but at some point you won't get re-elected. Are you confident the pressure will remain on even after you leave? DeWine's term is limited but he thinks professionals on case will still keep investigating.

Anyone in custody? No comment

DeWine: Investigators are focused. Don't like knowing other crimes people have committed, that's not their focus.

How many people have been interviewed? DeWine won't say. He'll see if he can come up with it. Some have been interviewed multiple times.

DeWine: if he leaves for higher office, AG will still follow

End

BBM

Interesting

In my opinion, Reader's emotions seem very genuine to me. He appears to be deeply impacted by these murders on a personal level. He expresses shock, sadness, outrage and seems to really care about his job and those he serves.

Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but, if they are truly not worried about persons incriminating themselves, and they are saying this on live t.v., they are obviously not making said "persons" comfortable with this fact when they've come in to talk to them. I mean, give them something in writing.

Reporter: Have you offered immunity...?
AG: It's not really a question of immunity. Ah, uh, I, uh, will not answer that. It's a question of what your focus is.

Well, then, I can tell you, that they are not going to talk to you Mr. Dewine. Just recently one of the former, highest powers, in our country has asked for immunity in exchange for being interviewed. If the person(s) you are interviewing have critical information that would aid in solving the murders of eight human beings, and locking away a very dangerous animal(s), then grant them immunity in exchange for their interview (Unless of course they played a role in the murders, or are the head of an Ohio drug cartel, but I seriously doubt that either of these examples are the case.)

Honestly, why not just say; We know nothing new to tell you, and we aren't going to tell you what we do know. G'bye.
(Unless I missed something. Maybe I'm being too critical and pessimistic today.)

And seriously, on a side note, if I couldn't figure out who had the grows, by now, then I'd be very disappointed in myself. I guess they just wanted to see if anyone would actually answer the question, but saying that there were two locations, and which homes the grows were at, does not clear up what kind of operations they alluded to being at said homes, and what the family said was there. Personally, I tend to believe the family.

On a side note, I really do get the feeling that Reader cares.

Well, Reader and DeWine read from the same script they have used all along. Absolutely nothing new and everything still has to be kept a secret.

BBM

Interesting

If you get a chance, pls go back and listen again to the press conference. The reporters question was long and I couldn't hear much of what he was asking. But I know he did ask about whether anyone was in custody. May have been more.

JMO, but having people in custody doesn't jive well with their asking people to provide more information who are holding back due to fear of recrimination/incrimination. I'm using the latter two terms as shorthand to describe reasons witnesses aren't giving all info because

Fear of recrimination: Someone would harm the witness if they gave out certain information. A serious consideration that should be better addressed by LE. DeWine stated the witnesses have nothing to fear re recrimination from perps because all information from interviews is kept confidential within LE. Okay, sure. Many people following this case suspect the Rhoden's were killed because they talked about someone to LE and that information was shared with their killers by someone within LE or the justice system.

Fear of incrimination: Witness feels they would get arrested, tried, etc. if they divulged information that would incriminate them in a different crime. In this case, Reader and DeWine indicate the big problem is people fearing a drug bust if they reveal more information.

In my opinion, Reader's emotions seem very genuine to me. He appears to be deeply impacted by these murders on a personal level. He expresses shock, sadness, outrage and seems to really care about his job and those he serves.

I think he cares, too. JMO, he may also feel frustrated in his attempts to bring justice. I just get a feeling he's really restricted in how he is allowed to investigate this case.

He did elaborate a little when he said he thought the killers were local. He added a brief qualifier that local people may know the killers who weren't necessarily local. I'll have to go back and listen to that again, but I'd really like to see a reporter ask him follow up questions about what he means by that statement.

Eight murders in four separate crime scenes. 30+ bullets fired. Unless there's an experienced serial killer living undetected in Pike County, it's difficult to believe there isn't enough evidence in all that to arrest and convict a local novice killer. For some reason, Reader is reluctant to admit that someone from outside the area may have been behind these killings, with local assistance. He finally hinted at that today, but I wonder why he's resisted saying so.

"Honestly, why not just say; We know nothing new to tell you, and we aren't going to tell you what we do know. G'bye."

Haha totally agree! They have no clue who did this. What a waste of time this press conference was!

Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but, if they are truly not worried about persons incriminating themselves, and they are saying this on live t.v., they are obviously not making said "persons" comfortable with this fact when they've come in to talk to them. I mean, give them something in writing.

Reporter: Have you offered immunity...?
AG: It's not really a question of immunity. Ah, uh, I, uh, will not answer that. It's a question of what your focus is.

Well, then, I can tell you, that they are not going to talk to you Mr. Dewine. Just recently one of the former, highest powers, in our country has asked for immunity in exchange for being interviewed. If the person(s) you are interviewing have critical information that would aid in solving the murders of eight human beings, and locking away a very dangerous animal(s), then grant them immunity in exchange for their interview (Unless of course they played a role in the murders, or are the head of an Ohio drug cartel, but I seriously doubt that either of these examples are the case.)

Honestly, why not just say; We know nothing new to tell you, and we aren't going to tell you what we do know. G'bye.
(Unless I missed something. Maybe I'm being too critical and pessimistic today.)

And seriously, on a side note, if I couldn't figure out who had the grows, by now, then I'd be very disappointed in myself. I guess they just wanted to see if anyone would actually answer the question, but saying that there were two locations, and which homes the grows were at, does not clear up what kind of operations they alluded to being at said homes, and what the family said was there. Personally, I tend to believe the family.

On a side note, I really do get the feeling that Reader cares.

BBM

+1000

Maybe it's a feature, not a bug.

Will wait til they post the full PC. I only heard a portion.

Didnt hear a lot of new information. Some things cleared up, things they could have cleared up months ago (how many grow ops?)

ETA: New info that I heard

1. There were only 2 grow ops - at Chris Sr and Kenneth R's homes. DeWine still calls them "commercial".

2. There is an assistant prosecutor from DeWine's office working on the investigation named Angela. Never heard of her before. Has anyone seen or heard of her working on the case? Does she go to Pike County? Has anyone seen her there personally investigating anything?

3. Family members are having regular visitation with the orphaned child survivors of the massacre. They communicate and have visitation.

Please feel free to add anything else you may have heard.

Angela assisted in this case in Jackson County and did an excellent job. http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/...hild-Kidnapping-and-Rape-Case--296870651.html

Thread for case http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Dunn-for-kidnap-rape-of-6yo-girl-Jackson-2013

I think he cares, too. JMO, he may also feel frustrated in his attempts to bring justice. I just get a feeling he's really restricted in how he is allowed to investigate this case.

He did elaborate a little when he said he thought the killers were local. He added a brief qualifier that local people may know the killers who weren't necessarily local. I'll have to go back and listen to that again, but I'd really like to see a reporter ask him follow up questions about what he means by that statement.

Eight murders in four separate crime scenes. 30+ bullets fired. Unless there's an experienced serial killer living undetected in Pike County, it's difficult to believe there isn't enough evidence in all that to arrest and convict a local novice killer. For some reason, Reader is reluctant to admit that someone from outside the area may have been behind these killings, with local assistance. He finally hinted at that today, but I wonder why he's resisted saying so.

Good question. This has been my theory all along (outside killers with a local helper). But who was the local person? Maybe Kenneth since he was last & had only one gun shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member