OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard work to live in poverty. It's been made out, since the mid 70s that there's "Welfare Queens" and Kings, just livin' it up. If one has never been poor, and never had to struggle to keep the lights on, chop wood for the winter, staple plastic to your windows before winter, and make sure that there's food on the table then it's hard to fathom that there may just not be time to camp out at LE's doorstep. You're worried about the living. I'd say they are in daily contact with LE but if another family member or members are murdered, whose going to take care of those children who are left? My thoughts would not so much be fear for myself but fear for who'd be left to raise my children, and fear they may murder children next time. They murdered a hardly 16 year old kid. Also, where is it written that they should trust LE to protect them? Appalachian Americans are the only people, and culture, left in America, that it's okay to poke fun at and openly mock and treat with disdain. I think that might be why there's no news media lined up to pick up this story...

The woman, in this article, was working 30 hours each week to get $100 per month in benefits. That breaks down to around $0.77¢ an hour if my cipherin' is correct. She still drove 10 minutes to a local creek, one way, to fill up water jugs b/c her water had been shut off. People who are poor, can't leave a $0.77 per hour job, and not do whatever else it takes to get by each month, to go out and planning marches, be it partly from fear, or just having to keep on living their lives, for their children, while hoping that a formerly corrupt LE system will bring justice. I can see where they'd lose hope, personally, as someone whose lived, and worked in the region my entire life. Life is very different when you are poor and the L's and the Ms are poor. There may be folks who are poorer but I don't think anyone can argue that they aren't poor.

I'm not trying to get on anyone's case, but life is just very different when you live in a rural region, stricken by generational poverty. The family is probably not really wanting to shed more light on what the deceased were doing for a living either. Especially if they're not sure where else it will lead. jmo

Rural Poor Face Unique Challenges

http://www.toledoblade.com/Economy/2012/05/20/Rural-poor-face-unique-challenges.html

Death Comes Sooner To Appalachia
http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/article169037857.html

BBM

I agree with this statement you made.

I know people who have struggled to rise above the poverty level in the area of the state where I live. We have the highest unemployment rate in our state. I know people who have gone to colleges and tech schools to learn how to do a job and been unable to find employment in our area nor the larger cities nearby. There are just not enough jobs in this portion of my state to provide employment to but a few of the graduates of these colleges and tech schools. Let's face it, there are not enough jobs in the service industries to accommodate everyone who wants a job. There are no more textile factories or sewing factories to provide jobs for people. All of that went overseas and to Mexico. There are many kind and fine people from my area who live in poverty. I taught school for 32 years and am quite aware of what people have to do to feed their children. They have to answer questions like "Do I feed my children rice and noodles all week and pay the electric bill, or do I feed my children better food and live in darkness for a while?" Poverty in this country exists in all 50 states. It will not get better until jobs are provided. Probably, this will not happen because many big companies do their hiring in foreign countries so they can pay less than they would if the hired American workers. You didn't get rich working in a sewing factory, but you could at least feed your children and pay the light bill. Until I have walked in the shoes of the Rhoden family, I will not speak negatively about any thing they do or don't do to further this investigation. Logic tells me that the surviving family members know lots about this investigation and probably shared what they know with LE. They don't have an obligation to tell us any thing or do what they do not feel comfortable doing.
RIP Chris Sr., Kenny, Dana, Gary, Frankie, Hannah Hazel, Hannah R, and Chris Jr

I know people who have struggled to rise above the poverty level in the area of the state where I live. We have the highest unemployment rate in our state. I know people who have gone to colleges and tech schools to learn how to do a job and been unable to find employment in our area nor the larger cities nearby. There are just not enough jobs in this portion of my state to provide employment to but a few of the graduates of these colleges and tech schools. Let's face it, there are not enough jobs in the service industries to accommodate everyone who wants a job. There are no more textile factories or sewing factories to provide jobs for people. All of that went overseas and to Mexico. There are many kind and fine people from my area who live in poverty. I taught school for 32 years and am quite aware of what people have to do to feed their children. They have to answer questions like "Do I feed my children rice and noodles all week and pay the electric bill, or do I feed my children better food and live in darkness for a while?" Poverty in this country exists in all 50 states. It will not get better until jobs are provided. Probably, this will not happen because many big companies do their hiring in foreign countries so they can pay less than they would if the hired American workers. You didn't get rich working in a sewing factory, but you could at least feed your children and pay the light bill. Until I have walked in the shoes of the Rhoden family, I will not speak negatively about any thing they do or don't do to further this investigation. Logic tells me that the surviving family members know lots about this investigation and probably shared what they know with LE. They don't have an obligation to tell us any thing or do what they do not feel comfortable doing.

Great comment. I agree with all you say.

I'd love to take up a collection and buy some billboards in Piketon and the state Capitol demanding they work to solve this terrible crime. We need some way of forcing public pressure to grow.

Samanthalawson69, Raisin and others on here have been working on this case for over a year, with very little information to go on. It is very frustrating to try and do. It has lead many posters (myself included) down many rabbit holes. Raisin is one of many very good researcher's on here. The questions she is bringing forth are what a lot of us think. We mean no disrespect to any of the family members at all. And this is a forum where we all share our theories and respect all points of view. If we didn't care about this family we wouldn't still be on this forum after all this time and effort. Thank You.

I'd love to take up a collection and buy some billboards in Piketon and the state Capitol demanding they work to solve this terrible crime. We need some way of forcing public pressure to grow.

I don't know if they are still up but there were two, located on Hwy 23, which is well traveled, back last year. I personally think that the reward money is just embarrassingly low. $11,365. That's just sad. Not even $1,500 per life. I don't know if a higher reward would help but it sure couldn't hurt.

Well said.

Samanthalawson69, Raisin and others on here have been working on this case for over a year, with very little information to go on. It is very frustrating to try and do. It has lead many posters (myself included) down many rabbit holes. Raisin is one of many very good researcher's on here. The questions she is bringing forth are what a lot of us think. We mean no disrespect to any of the family members at all. And this is a forum where we all share our theories and respect all points of view. If we didn't care about this family we wouldn't still be on this forum after all this time and effort. Thank You.

Thank you very much for your kind words amauet1. I could list a lot of names of people on here, yourself included, that have worked hard to get answers to this horrible crime.

I did not mean any disrespect to the families of the victims, but I also know that if the family members do not step forward to get this back into the news these eight victims will be and probably already have been, forgotten by the rest of the world. That will allow the BCI and PCSO to shove them to the back burner where their case will eventually end up in some dusty file cabinet in the storage room.

What I was trying to say, and I guess not very clearly, is it is now the families job to bring it back into the spotlight.

Whether family members of the victims step up and give news conferences has nothing to do with poverty in the region. I have no idea how we got off on that topic in the first place.

Most of those family members have admitted they have cell phones and if they don't have one they can borrow one from the person standing next to them. So it doesn't cost a thing to make that call to a news reporter. From then on it doesn't cost one red cent to open your mouth and talk. So I don't see how poverty plays any part in trying to bring public pressure to bear on LE to get this crime solved.

I don't know if they are still up but there were two, located on Hwy 23, which is well traveled, back last year. I personally think that the reward money is just embarrassingly low. $11,365. That's just sad. Not even $1,500 per life. I don't know if a higher reward would help but it sure couldn't hurt.

I was thinking of a billboard campaign more along the lines of this one:

[video=youtube;Jit3YhGx5pU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jit3YhGx5pU[/video]

A little more aggressive in it's messaging.

Thank you very much for your kind words amauet1. I could list a lot of names of people on here, yourself included, that have worked hard to get answers to this horrible crime.

I did not mean any disrespect to the families of the victims, but I also know that if the family members do not step forward to get this back into the news these eight victims will be and probably already have been, forgotten by the rest of the world. That will allow the BCI and PCSO to shove them to the back burner where their case will eventually end up in some dusty file cabinet in the storage room.

What I was trying to say, and I guess not very clearly, is it is now the families job to bring it back into the spotlight.

Whether family members of the victims step up and give news conferences has nothing to do with poverty in the region. I have no idea how we got off on that topic in the first place.

Most of those family members have admitted they have cell phones and if they don't have one they can borrow one from the person standing next to them. So it doesn't cost a thing to make that call to a news reporter. From then on it doesn't cost one red cent to open your mouth and talk. So I don't see how poverty plays any part in trying to bring public pressure to bear on LE to get this crime solved.

I understand where you're coming from, but this is an unusual case. I sincerely believe that the remaining family members (and there aren't many left, by design) have reason to believe they would be in danger if they push this too much. From the beginning, law enforcement worked to make sure they were not protected, were treated as suspicious outcasts. I also have the feeling other people in the area don't care if the case is solved, so they have no allies in the community.

When you step back and take a look at it objectively, its pretty shocking. Eight innocent people were killed in their homes and no one wants to do anything about it. That's very, very wrong. I can't believe this is happening in what is supposed to be the greatest democracy in the wealthiest nation in the world. It's criminal, unethical and immoral.

ETA: JMO, it's also possible that LE has told remaining family members that if they push for resolution of the case, they will face prosecution and prison time for anything they might have done in the past. These people are so poor they can't afford attorneys to protect themselves. One of my long-held theories is that LE fought to limit any financial assistance to the families so they could not use those funds to hire legal help. They're pressuring them so they'll stay quiet, so the case will go away and nothing will be exposed about what's been going on down there.

Maybe we should try to help them find outside legal help. A pro bono victim's attorney from far, far outside the area.

With every reply I was trying so hard to get across what you so eloquently stated. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

It doesn't cost anything to make a call to a news reporter but have you noticed the light that the reporters have shown the family and the people of the region? The same reason that Jeff Ruby withdrew his $25k reward. We've all followed this from day one, we are the ones who have stuck with this case for 18 months now. Remember the articles I linked to on my other post? The AG has put a stain on this family without ever showing the first pot leaf, and people are avoiding them like the plague. Also, we do not know that this family hasn't tried calling reporters, and news agencies, do we? The interest, with the exception of a couple news agencies within the state, has not been kind to them, and/or has dried up. Why do you think that the media has not followed this open records request and the secrecy surrounding it? I think it's because of how the family was portrayed by the AG in the beginning. Poor, white trash, drug dealers, who raised game *advertiser censored* (fighting chickens) on the side. As you can see from my previous links, even the local support dried up after that. You don't think that the $25k reward, being publicly removed, was a death knoll to obtaining other contributors? I do. People were making fun of the family, online, the DAY of the murders, of their family members. If ya'll don't remember it, I do. Being poor doesn't preclude you from dialing a phone but it doesn't help you much if no one wants to touch your story, or if you're afraid for your family's lives.

I was thinking of a billboard campaign more along the lines of this one:

[video=youtube;Jit3YhGx5pU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jit3YhGx5pU[/video]

A little more aggressive in it's messaging.

That is a very good idea. It made me think of the case I spoke of earlier.

The girl, CM, had gone missing, and her parents had been very outspoken, then oddly enough, her father was shot and killed, while alone, on his own property, waiting for a family member so they could go hunting together. After the murder of the father, the family had put up signs, to try and gain support for, and to keep people's minds alerted about, the case.

However, the signs started going missing... Surveillance video, at one location, led to an arrest of the sign thief, who happens to be dating the only suspect in the case, CR's former bf. Very strange behavior, if you ask me. I wonder if signs such as the one in your video could rattle a suspect's brain? (Not saying the woman in my example killed CR or her father, however, her bf has been the only suspect.)

CR's Father Shot and Killed
http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/article116156688.html

Woman arrested for stealing signs
http://www.wdrb.com/story/36015975/...-rogers-is-allegedly-dating-ksps-only-suspect

That is a very good idea. It made me think of the case I spoke of earlier.

The girl, CM, had gone missing, and her parents had been very outspoken, then oddly enough, her father was shot and killed, while alone, on his own property, waiting for a family member so they could go hunting together. After the murder of the father, the family had put up signs, to try and gain support for, and to keep people's minds alerted about, the case.

However, the signs started going missing... Surveillance video, at one location, led to an arrest of the sign thief, who happens to be dating the only suspect in the case, CR's former bf. Very strange behavior, if you ask me. I wonder if signs such as the one in your video could rattle a suspect's brain? (Not saying the woman in my example killed CR or her father, however, her bf has been the only suspect.)

CR's Father Shot and Killed
http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/article116156688.html

Woman arrested for stealing signs
http://www.wdrb.com/story/36015975/...-rogers-is-allegedly-dating-ksps-only-suspect
It's a great idea and it just might work. I am new to this so forgive me if this sounds weird but, is it possible to set up a tip line that would be handled by an outside agent? People might be willing to step up if it's safer for them to do so.

It doesn't cost anything to make a call to a news reporter but have you noticed the light that the reporters have shown the family and the people of the region? The same reason that Jeff Ruby withdrew his $25k reward. We've all followed this from day one, we are the ones who have stuck with this case for 18 months now. Remember the articles I linked to on my other post? The AG has put a stain on this family without ever showing the first pot leaf, and people are avoiding them like the plague. Also, we do not know that this family hasn't tried calling reporters, and news agencies, do we? The interest, with the exception of a couple news agencies within the state, has not been kind to them, and/or has dried up. Why do you think that the media has not followed this open records request and the secrecy surrounding it? I think it's because of how the family was portrayed by the AG in the beginning. Poor, white trash, drug dealers, who raised game *advertiser censored* (fighting chickens) on the side. As you can see from my previous links, even the local support dried up after that. You don't think that the $25k reward, being publicly removed, was a death knoll to obtaining other contributors? I do. People were making fun of the family, online, the DAY of the murders, of their family members. If ya'll don't remember it, I do. Being poor doesn't preclude you from dialing a phone but it doesn't help you much if no one wants to touch your story, or if you're afraid for your family's lives.

Chris Graves of the Cinci Inquirer showed some real interest in the case for a while, but she's backed away. The recent editorial in the Columbus Dispatch seems to indicate they're still interested in seeing the case resolved:

http://www.dispatch.com/opinion/20170917/editorial-public-records-remain-off-limits

They Dayton Daily News also ran a recent article critical of the secrecy of the AG's office and victim's compensation program re the Rhoden and other cases.

But it doesn't appear anyone of them are sending reporters to Pike County anymore. No one is asking DeWine or BCI questions about the progress (or lack thereof) in the case. In Ohio, there's some unwritten rule that reporters from major news outlets can't ask tough questions of certain politicians when they're running for office. It's not a virtue, it's a lapse in ethics, MOO. I give them credit for pushing, for filing the lawsuits, which are still active. But they're not going to ask any hard questions for the next year. They'll probably only cover this case if DeWine brings something up on his own. Welcome to Ohio.

That's why this case needs attention from non-traditional media outside Ohio. I wonder if anyone could get a reporter from Rolling Stone interested? Let's research some good reporters who work for alt media or monthly publications to find candidates. It won't be easy and it could be a dangerous job for any reporter, but some may be up to the challenge.

No one is criticizing you for your life, it sounds like you've done a lot of good things.

Speaking for myself, though, I think we have to realize there are some places in the US where there is no democracy, where the system is so corrupt that it's extremely difficult to find justice. It's not just a question of having enough drive and monetary resources to fight, it's a matter of having enough power to fight people who have too much control over your life, your community, your access to the levers of power and justice.

I think the family can fight back, but they need help and protection from far outside this community. They need help from some very powerful people, again, probably from outside Ohio.

ETA: I'm thinking of a similar case like Karen Silkwood, who went to the New York Times for help and still ended up dead. It took investigative reporting from Rolling Stone, assistance from her labor union in a lawsuit that brought a lot of illegal activities and cover ups to bring light on why she was killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Silkwood

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/the-case-of-karen-silkwood-19770113

I really do think it's this serious, I hope I'm wrong.

I remember this very well. The road she was killed on was a long stretch of narrow highway. I have driven down that very same stretch of road myself. It was a dangerous highway to be driving at night. I am not saying that someone didn't run her off the road, but I am not saying they did either. One of the Kerr-McGee plants where nuclear waste was processed is about 30 miles from where I live. In the late 80's they were fined for illegally dumping toxic waste. There is a house about 4 miles outside the town I live in now where the yard has been dug up 3 times. Men in biohazard suits dig the yard down to about 6 feet deep and then replace it with all new dirt hauled in dump trucks. Every one who has lived in that house in the last 20 years has died of cancer. The house has been empty for years now but a couple of years ago the men in white suits were out there again, digging up the yard.

That Kerr-McGee and other oil companies dumped toxic waste around here is not in doubt. That there were corrupt officials in both Kerr-McGee and the government is without doubt. After all oil is king in Oklahoma.

But I do not think the Silkwood case and the R murders have any co-relation at all. Kerr-McGee was able to buy government officials. Congressmen who scrambled to do their bidding.

I cannot see any one with that kind of wealth in the R case. Yes i think there was a drug trafficking ring operating in Pike county and I think some of the R's and their extended families and friends were neck deep in it. My finger would be pointing at the W's and JM and AM right now. But a drug trafficking ring operating in that area is a long way from a huge corporation like Kerr-McGee. For one thing Kerr-McGee was operating legally and therefore could move among high ranking government officials openly. An illegal drug trafficking ring does not have that kind of access to high ranking state or federal officials.

So unless both Sheriff reader and Mike DeWine and the BCI are all part of that ring then the Silkwood scenario would not be feasible.

I think the reason this crime is fading into the background has more to do with the fact that LE announced at the beginning there was commercial pot grows found at the crime scene. I think as far as the community is concerned the R's got what was coming to them and good riddance to some drug dealers.

To bring it back into the spotlight and get results is going to take family members who knew and loved the victims to stand up and defend them and scream for justice for them.

But as RSD1200 said I don't think it is going to happen because the family is scared of what else might come out. Or scared of going to jail.

It's a great idea and it just might work. I am new to this so forgive me if this sounds weird but, is it possible to set up a tip line that would be handled by an outside agent? People might be willing to step up if it's safer for them to do so.

Crimestoppers has an anon tip line set up. I think that they should update it or at least move it back to their front page. I think the murders of eight people tops credit card theft... but that's just me.

http://southernohiocrimestoppers.org/

I remember this very well. The road she was killed on was a long stretch of narrow highway. I have driven down that very same stretch of road myself. It was a dangerous highway to be driving at night. I am not saying that someone didn't run her off the road, but I am not saying they did either. One of the Kerr-McGee plants where nuclear waste was processed is about 30 miles from where I live. In the late 80's they were fined for illegally dumping toxic waste. There is a house about 4 miles outside the town I live in now where the yard has been dug up 3 times. Men in biohazard suits dig the yard down to about 6 feet deep and then replace it with all new dirt hauled in dump trucks. Every one who has lived in that house in the last 20 years has died of cancer. The house has been empty for years now but a couple of years ago the men in white suits were out there again, digging up the yard.

That Kerr-McGee and other oil companies dumped toxic waste around here is not in doubt. That there were corrupt officials in both Kerr-McGee and the government is without doubt. After all oil is king in Oklahoma.

But I do not think the Silkwood case and the R murders have any co-relation at all. Kerr-McGee was able to buy government officials. Congressmen who scrambled to do their bidding.

I cannot see any one with that kind of wealth in the R case. Yes i think there was a drug trafficking ring operating in Pike county and I think some of the R's and their extended families and friends were neck deep in it. My finger would be pointing at the W's and JM and AM right now. But a drug trafficking ring operating in that area is a long way from a huge corporation like Kerr-McGee. For one thing Kerr-McGee was operating legally and therefore could move among high ranking government officials openly. An illegal drug trafficking ring does not have that kind of access to high ranking state or federal officials.

So unless both Sheriff reader and Mike DeWine and the BCI are all part of that ring then the Silkwood scenario would not be feasible.

I think the reason this crime is fading into the background has more to do with the fact that LE announced at the beginning there was commercial pot grows found at the crime scene. I think as far as the community is concerned the R's got what was coming to them and good riddance to some drug dealers.

To bring it back into the spotlight and get results is going to take family members who knew and loved the victims to stand up and defend them and scream for justice for them.

But as RSD1200 said I don't think it is going to happen because the family is scared of what else might come out. Or scared of going to jail.

My reference to Silkwood was a general one in the sense of the risks people can face when challenging entrenched, powerful people. People who can use their power to turn the news media, co-workers, employers,LE, government and communities against someone who is trying to find justice.

If investigating the Rhoden murders exposes a large group of people involved in drug dealing, etc. in southeast Ohio, there may be powerful and wealthy people who are involved. Business people, banks, judges, prosecutors, LE officers. Involvement of these groups have been part of past corruption scandals, in other areas of the country. Other political leaders not involved in crime may still feel the need to protect those who are, because of politics and adverse public opinion.

We don't know who might be involved in these activities or how their members might have played a role in the Rhoden murders. With the case obviously stalled, information locked away from the public and no news media coverage for a long time, it's time for a third party, from outside the state to take a new look at the case.

As for the families fearing anything else bad coming out, that seems unlikely. The surviving & deceased family members names and reputations have already been drug through the mud numerous times. It is possible, however, for someone to trump up some charges to legally punish some of them. And eviction. A foreclosure. Loss of a job. Impounding a vehicle. Revoking a license. They've already tried that with JM, going after him for removing a tracking device from his truck. But they may fear someone dangerous coming after them. The killers are still out there.

I've mentioned before that locals could consider calling the FBI tip line:

https://www.fbi.gov/tips

1-800-CALLFBI (225-5324) for the Major Case Contact Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics