OH - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #34 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is a good assessment.

The substantial profit “glory days” of illegal marijuana growing when a low to mid-level wholesale producers of hi grade marijuana sold a rare product in a high demand market are gone. Sure, mid level illegal growers can profit, but with the drug far more readily available, operating costs, profit sharing, risk of arrest, harvest “shrinkage”, and bad harvests make the profits nominal.

My guess is that mega level wholesalers and those who control entire supply chains do well. But they operate with the higher risks of arrest and violence from aggressive competitors. Likewise, those selling say, ultra-high grade plants as a specialized “supplier to suppliers” or those with high income clientele who are not inclined to beat the ‘hood or the backwoods for a cheaper wholesaler may still do relatively well.

When applied to the victims, I think the totality of the above diminishes the possibility of a motive based solely on drug profits. Even factoring Appalachian relativity regarding what constitutes a large sum of money, there just was no real money with the victim’s marijuana operation. Rather, the victims were largely in it as you said: “for the love of the “game” “. It is highly unlikely that anybody would the think “the game” at the victim’s level was worth eight lives (Cartels aside).

There were many more things found that morning which are more Germaine to this than marijuana. A great deal of cash and other illegal items. The backhoes were seen excavating. And LE was discreet taking what they found. There are no pics of the marijuana plants being removed either.

There were many more things found that morning which are more Germaine to this than marijuana. A great deal of cash and other illegal items. The backhoes were seen excavating. And LE was discreet taking what they found. There are no pics of the marijuana plants being removed either.

I think the entirety of the victims’ criminal activity would read like the marijuana operation: “Profitable, but no real money”.

For example: apparently stolen cars / possible chop shop. They may have bought stolen cars from other source(s). Local or relatively local stolen car suppliers can be dangerous, but they are not exactly Russian mafia when it comes to over kill and coordination.

Rather, given the victims’ residences (double wides) their keeping ordinary day jobs, and lack of big truly blingy toys, other criminal “hobby businesses” were likely the same as the MJ grow- over all relatively profitable, but no real money.

Of course, one does not need to be making substantial profits to get murdered by “business rivals” of the angry and criminal kind. But these were not murders that would be associated with the victim’s level of criminal “game playing”. For example, I could see the following headlines:

- Shots fired at rural homes leave 1 dead, 2 wounded, -or- The body of ‘R’ was found in his car parked at C’s tavern. Witnesses reported rapid gun shots and a car accelerating, -or- Body of R’ discovered on a rural road. Police suspect “business meeting” gone bad.... .

I can’t see, however, somebody systematically targeting and killing all adults and grown children of the family simply due to the level of criminal activity of some members. Baring cartels or say, foreign mafia (US mafia, even in their “glory days” did not target family members), there needs to be another motive.

Where were backhoes seen digging and by whom were they seen?

I think the entirety of the victims’ criminal activity would read like the marijuana operation: “Profitable, but no real money”.

For example: apparently stolen cars / possible chop shop. They may have bought stolen cars from other source(s). Local or relatively local stolen car suppliers can be dangerous, but they are not exactly Russian mafia when it comes to over kill and coordination.

Rather, given the victims’ residences (double wides) their keeping ordinary day jobs, and lack of big truly blingy toys, other criminal “hobby businesses” were likely the same as the MJ grow- over all relatively profitable, but no real money.

Of course, one does not need to be making substantial profits to get murdered by “business rivals” of the angry and criminal kind. But these were not murders that would be associated with the victim’s level of criminal “game playing”. For example, I could see the following headlines:

- Shots fired at rural homes leave 1 dead, 2 wounded, -or- The body of ‘R’ was found in his car parked at C’s tavern. Witnesses reported rapid gun shots and a car accelerating, -or- Body of R’ discovered on a rural road. Police suspect “business meeting” gone bad.... .

I can’t see, however, somebody systematically targeting and killing all adults and grown children of the family simply due to the level of criminal activity of some members. Baring cartels or say, foreign mafia (US mafia, even in their “glory days” did not target family members), there needs to be another motive.

LE reported later that none of the vehicles were stolen. They were returned to family members.

Vehicles returning to relatives of 8 slain Rhoden family members

LE also stated that the family wasn't involved in cockfighting, either.

Where were backhoes seen digging and by whom were they seen?

I don't recall seeing that in MSM coverage. There were reports of LE digging on another property in the Peebles area a few weeks later, but there was no indication it was related to the Rhoden murders. Maybe that's how people still get it confused?

Hi Charliegizmo49, do you have a link that backs up your statements about a lot of cash, illegal items, excavation? TIA

LE reported later that none of the vehicles were stolen. They were returned to family members.

Thanks for the clarification.

So that leaves one confirmed criminal motive stemming from a mid level marijuana growing operation that while probably over all profitable, was clearly not "life changing" in regards to earnings.

Outside of the Cartels, nobody murders all adult members of a family- including those not involved in the criminal activity over that level of drug enterprise.

Rivals performing drive bys, beat downs, stabbings, point blank shootings or bush whackings on a male mj farm operator- sure. Murdering an entire family? Not a chance. There must be another motive.

Last edited:
High. I was waiting for everyone. can i come back to the facts im just making sure i have a few things down that are facts "only"
1: more than one killer?
2: "3" large grow ops found on day of killings "per LE" "meaning fully operational on day of killings"?
3: 3 locations the head of house at all 3 had regular full time jobs "GR DR KR"? Its been said cr lived with dr im just separating for clarity.
Jmo: several have said about amatuer pot growers that its not a reason to kill and the profits dont make it a viable reason to kill 8 people but Le said "3 major grow ops found" meaning Cr was a pro at this point if thats a fact but if Le says "3 major grow ops" thats not chump change we are talking 10s of thousands of dollars at harvest and if in rotation thats good money and that is a fact. sure 10s of thousands to some people is chump change but im saying for a fact its a motive to rob and to kill. see it this way all these lives had one thing in common thats fact they all knew about the grow thats a fact and thats a motive to kill everyone who knew as for pot prices a poster said it would have to be high grade ect well look at it this way not everyone can drive a Rolls Royce some drive pintos so pot even if its dirt will make money for the grower no they wont be the godfather but it helps with the bills and then able to funnel and fund other endevors like cars equipment land other drugs ect.
why?: jmo: a group like us was looking at them from the outside at the whole setup. DR 30g house downpayment big new garage the cars the autions helping friends and relatives you know cr had to be helping. people pay attention to all this thats a fact. we are now. so im sure this group did back then. People talk fact people add on to the story fact and alot of people knew fact so it only makes me think robbery.
Jmo: again a robbery cash dope ect 3 locations they were looking for the big score maybe they knew? its so brutal that the killers may have overkilled to get info idk? but 8 lives is so over the top meaning planned a big hit and big hits had to be taken all in. Jmo.
Jmo: it wasnt about a little girl like i posted before if LE had one shred to connect anything then that little girl would be in ohio from day one that is their job they would never neglect a childs safety and to LE that is one of the main reasons to be in LE.
Jmo: dope and money and ? By 3 maybe 4 not pros but organized and planned and devoted to each other also not kids they were either good size or gum grinders because dragging grown men around is not easy its possible for small people but not easy. but prove me wrong like i said before "im wrong almost everyday of my life so its ok" i really like reading all your post some are very interesting.
Thanks everybody.

I remember reading that a vet checked all the animals and they were in good health which would eliminate dog fighting and *advertiser censored* fighting as illegal activities.

However, they were raising them. Those birds wouldn't look to have been fought, because they likely hadn't made it to the ring yet. They were probably breeding stock. FR was pretty into breeding them. He didn't necessarily have to fight the *advertiser censored*, to be a part of the actual cockfighting. Folks raise birds all over around here. They don't fight them at their homes. They sell them, for a lot of money, to those who do, or take them to arenas themselves, to show off their breedlines. Most birds who go into the ring, don't come out alive. Also, there's a lot of other stuff besides fighting birds, that goes on in cockfighting. Some folks go to watch and gamble. Some go to make contacts and distribute drugs.

Not only is cockfighting barbaric, vicious, and cruel, but evidence is overwhelming that cockfighting is linked to other crimes and violence. Law enforcement officials have documented the strong connection between cockfighting, illegal gambling, and large-scale manufacturing and distribution of illegal drugs. In many cases, law-enforcement officials have uncovered evidence of cockfighting-birds, pits, and equipment-while pursuing drug investigations and raids. Drug dealers use connections made at cockfights for the distribution of drugs. Cockfighting involves multiple crimes.

Cockfighting: Who, Truly, are the Ruthless Aggressive Killers?

This one went down in 2014;
Cockfighting Pit That Operated For More Than 30 Years Destroyed; Men Who Owned the Property Sentenced

Thanks for the clarification.

So that leaves one confirmed criminal motive stemming from a mid level marijuana growing operation that while probably over all profitable, was clearly not "life changing" in regards to earnings.

Outside of the Cartels, nobody murders all adult members of a family- including those not involved in the criminal activity over that level of drug enterprise.

Rivals performing drive bys, beat downs, stabbings, point blank shootings or bush whackings on a male mj farm operator- sure. Murdering an entire family? Not a chance. There must be another motive.
High.
Jmo: this wasnt a little back yard grow and you cant do a driveby on a farm unless your a sniper with a 50cal and stabbings ect? this isnt the big city im just saying in the rural areas these killings can happen this way and over major pot grows this big im not saying your wrong but if we look at it from day one from the outside. fact is 3 different grows 3 different locations 3 different killing fields all connected by 2 things the people and the grows at each locations thats a fact. yes it is a lot of money 10s of thousands of dollars and thats just in the new garage alone being built not including past dope sales if any or car sales if done. cr had money he hustled thats not a bad thing he worked and bought cars grew dope ect people pay attention all people and bad people do to and they do bad things whats interesting in this case they may get away with this. They robbed and killed 8 people but to some they were just dope dealers thats not right. if you notice the reward its 11g thats such a shame 8 people killed and the reward is only 11g. to me this doesnt make sence but to others it does why havnt we seen the outrage on 60 minutes or cnn things dont connect but thats the daily news these days come and gone. Again im not saying your wrong but im just connecting the facts we all know. wish le would open up more but i think this group of killers is tight and le knows this and waiting out time but more outrage from the public or news media is needed but 11g tells alot from locals and le. Hope i didnt offend you i just think money and dope was involved how much we will never know.
Thanks.

High. I was waiting for everyone. can i come back to the facts im just making sure i have a few things down that are facts "only"
2: "3" large grow ops found on day of killings "per LE" "meaning fully operational on day of killings"?
3: 3 locations the head of house at all 3 had regular full time jobs "GR DR KR"? Its been said cr lived with dr im just separating for clarity.
Jmo: several have said about amatuer pot growers that its not a reason to kill and the profits dont make it a viable reason to kill 8 people but Le said "3 major grow ops found" meaning Cr was a pro at this point if thats a fact but if Le says "3 major grow ops" thats not chump change we are talking 10s of thousands of dollars at harvest and if in rotation thats good money and that is a fact. sure 10s of thousands to some people is chump change but im saying for a fact its a motive to rob and to kill. see it this way all these lives had one thing in common thats fact they all knew about the grow thats a fact and thats a motive to kill everyone who knew as for pot prices a poster said it would have to be high grade ect well look at it this way not everyone can drive a Rolls Royce some drive pintos so pot even if its dirt will make money for the grower no they wont be the godfather but it helps with the bills and then able to funnel and fund other endevors like cars equipment land other drugs ect.
why?: jmo: a group like us was looking at them from the outside at the whole setup. DR 30g house downpayment big new garage the cars the autions helping friends and relatives you know cr had to be helping. people pay attention to all this thats a fact. we are now. so im sure this group did back then. People talk fact people add on to the story fact and alot of people knew fact so it only makes me think robbery.
Jmo: again a robbery cash dope ect 3 locations they were looking for the big score maybe they knew? its so brutal that the killers may have overkilled to get info idk? but 8 lives is so over the top meaning planned a big hit and big hits had to be taken all in. Jmo.
Jmo: it wasnt about a little girl like i posted before if LE had one shred to connect anything then that little girl would be in ohio from day one that is their job they would never neglect a childs safety and to LE that is one of the main reasons to be in LE.
Jmo: dope and money and ? By 3 maybe 4 not pros but organized and planned and devoted to each other also not kids they were either good size or gum grinders because dragging grown men around is not easy its possible for small people but not easy. but prove me wrong like i said before "im wrong almost everyday of my life so its ok" i really like reading all your post some are very interesting.
Thanks everybody.

BBM

see it this way all these lives had one thing in common thats fact they all knew about the grow thats a fact and thats a motive to kill everyone who knew

So you are saying that the reason they killed the entire family is they wanted to kill everyone who knew about CR1 and KR growing pot? If that's the case they would have had to kill half the town since everyone buying from them would have known they were growing it. Also what about Kendra R who admitted she knew her dad KR "grew some pot" to sell to supplement his income? Why leave her alive if they were killing everyone who knew about the pot? What about BJM who cleaned both CR1 and KR's houses and in all probability knew about the grows since that product requires extensive care and has to be dried for a while before it is sold?

Also there seems to be a misconception about the Mexican cartels. While they might kill whole families, it would be the family members who are in the house at the time they attack their target, not going from house to house to kill all family members.

Also if it was a drug dispute then why kill DR and the kids? If it is a dispute over territory then killing CR1, GR and KR would have taken care of that since it is highly unlikely that DR, CR2 and HR would have carried on the grow op in the absence of CR1. Also there are better ways to get rid of competition than killing them. Like alerting LE or DEA there is a grow op there. Besides growing pot is not the big time drug operation that killing 8 people would warrant even if all of those 8 people were in one house at the time of the attack. Now killing them over a large amount of OXY pills I might see as making it worth someone's time to kill 8 people, but again only if all 8 people were in one house and robbery was the motive.

No whoever killed the R's intended to wipe out that branch of the family. That is the only reason they would have traveled to four houses to kill 8 people.

To me this is more like a spree killing with a lot of hatred involved. The "wiping out a den of snakes" mentality of the killers. And that doesn't happen because you want to get rid of the competition or to rob them of money or drugs. That only happens when you are emotionally involved with the victims and have a really deep hatred of them. Like a spurned ex boyfriend.

JMO

Thanks everybody.
May I ask what the significance to your posts beginning with “High” is? I’m concerned maybe I missed something along the way while staying caught up in the forum. If I did, I apologize.

Your fact #3 is incorrect. There were FOUR locations in which FOUR people worked full time.

CR1
FR
DR
KR

ALSO, IMO, police have zero ground to keep a little girl in Ohio. Suspicion isn’t enough. If there’s zero abuse and the child is well cared for, the child stays with her family. In order to remove a child there has to be concrete grounds, ie-abuse, indictments, arrests, concrete evidence, etc. If you’ll notice, the only children ever removed was the infant who was 100% orphaned and the newborn with an unknown father at that time.

Also, I’m curious what kind of dope you’re referring to? Are you referring to marijuana as “dope”? I just want to have a clear understanding because in this day and age, MJ isn’t typically referred to as dope anymore. Dope is drugs such as heroin, meth, etc.

BBM

see it this way all these lives had one thing in common thats fact they all knew about the grow thats a fact and thats a motive to kill everyone who knew

So you are saying that the reason they killed the entire family is they wanted to kill everyone who knew about CR1 and KR growing pot? If that's the case they would have had to kill half the town since everyone buying from them would have known they were growing it. Also what about Kendra R who admitted she knew her dad KR "grew some pot" to sell to supplement his income? Why leave her alive if they were killing everyone who knew about the pot? What about BJM who cleaned both CR1 and KR's houses and in all probability knew about the grows since that product requires extensive care and has to be dried for a while before it is sold?

Also there seems to be a misconception about the Mexican cartels. While they might kill whole families, it would be the family members who are in the house at the time they attack their target, not going from house to house to kill all family members.

Also if it was a drug dispute then why kill DR and the kids? If it is a dispute over territory then killing CR1, GR and KR would have taken care of that since it is highly unlikely that DR, CR2 and HR would have carried on the grow op in the absence of CR1. Also there are better ways to get rid of competition than killing them. Like alerting LE or DEA there is a grow op there. Besides growing pot is not the big time drug operation that killing 8 people would warrant even if all of those 8 people were in one house at the time of the attack. Now killing them over a large amount of OXY pills I might see as making it worth someone's time to kill 8 people, but again only if all 8 people were in one house and robbery was the motive.

No whoever killed the R's intended to wipe out that branch of the family. That is the only reason they would have traveled to four houses to kill 8 people.

To me this is more like a spree killing with a lot of hatred involved. The "wiping out a den of snakes" mentality of the killers. And that doesn't happen because you want to get rid of the competition or to rob them of money or drugs. That only happens when you are emotionally involved with the victims and have a really deep hatred of them. Like a spurned ex boyfriend.

JMO

BBM
I'm pretty much with you, up to this point. If someone had burst in on DR, HMR, and CR2, and killed them, then I could better see it being either JW or CG. I could see it being CH, if HMR had broken up with him. One home, one main target, the others were just additional targets for their anger. Most of those type situations, though, we find the murderer, dead, in his car, a few miles down the road, amongst the deceased, or they have a pretty quick lead on them. Like those eight folks murdered in TX. -He couldn't handle it when his wife filed for divorce, so he killed her, and seven of her friends, at a gathering, in her home. The going from home to home, speaks to something different, but, I could be wrong.

High.
Jmo: this wasnt a little back yard grow and you cant do a driveby on a farm unless your a sniper with a 50cal and stabbings ect? this isnt the big city im just saying in the rural areas these killings can happen this way and over major pot grows this big im not saying your wrong but if we look at it from day one from the outside. fact is 3 different grows 3 different locations 3 different killing fields all connected by 2 things the people and the grows at each locations thats a fact. yes it is a lot of money 10s of thousands of dollars and thats just in the new garage alone being built not including past dope sales if any or car sales if done. cr had money he hustled thats not a bad thing he worked and bought cars grew dope ect people pay attention all people and bad people do to and they do bad things whats interesting in this case they may get away with this. They robbed and killed 8 people but to some they were just dope dealers thats not right. if you notice the reward its 11g thats such a shame 8 people killed and the reward is only 11g. to me this doesnt make sence but to others it does why havnt we seen the outrage on 60 minutes or cnn things dont connect but thats the daily news these days come and gone. Again im not saying your wrong but im just connecting the facts we all know. wish le would open up more but i think this group of killers is tight and le knows this and waiting out time but more outrage from the public or news media is needed but 11g tells alot from locals and le. Hope i didnt offend you i just think money and dope was involved how much we will never know.
Thanks.

I think the previous poster was pointing out how the high cost of running the grow op somewhat diminished the profits made from medium size grow ops like those of KR and CR1. I'm sure they made a decent profit, but they were also spending a great deal on expensive lights, watering systems, fertilizer, paying people to maintain the plants, etc. I do agree it's a shame that more in the news media should be calling attention to these horrible murders. Yes, the reward is a pittance, not nearly what it should be to get any witnesses to share information.

JMO, so many family members were killed because the killers knew which ones could identify them as suspects and possibly seek their own revenge.

I'm also not sure about robbery as the main motive for killing everyone. It doesn't seem to fit with prior unsolved murders in the area, for example Candy Newsome and her daughter. If local criminals were targeting grow ops to rob them, we would expect to see similar robberies and murders at other area grow ops and at the homes of area drug dealers like Eury's and the W's. The Rhoden/Gilley murders stand out as a brutal spree killing in a county that, until recently, didn't see too many murders. The common thread with previous murders seemed to be people who used and sold drugs and who had recently been arrested and convicted for drug activity. JMO, it looked like killers were going after people they thought knew too much and might be at risk of sharing what they knew with LE.

I think the previous poster was pointing out how the high cost of running the grow op somewhat diminished the profits made from medium size grow ops like those of KR and CR1. I'm sure they made a decent profit, but they were also spending a great deal on expensive lights, watering systems, fertilizer, paying people to maintain the plants, etc. I do agree it's a shame that more in the news media should be calling attention to these horrible murders. Yes, the reward is a pittance, not nearly what it should be to get any witnesses to share information.

JMO, so many family members were killed because the killers knew which ones could identify them as suspects and possibly seek their own revenge.

I'm also not sure about robbery as the main motive for killing everyone. It doesn't seem to fit with prior unsolved murders in the area, for example Candy Newsome and her daughter. [BOLD] If local criminals were targeting grow ops to rob them, we would expect to see similar robberies and murders at other area grow ops and at the homes of area drug dealers like Eury's and the W's. [/BOLD] The Rhoden/Gilley murders stand out as a brutal spree killing in a county that, until recently, didn't see too many murders. The common thread with previous murders seemed to be people who used and sold drugs and who had recently been arrested and convicted for drug activity. JMO, it looked like killers were going after people they thought knew too much and might be at risk of sharing what they knew with LE.
Link to W's being drug dealers please.

Some people will kill over a red or blue shirt, a piece of chicken, or they just drive around until they see an opportunity to do it.

If that's the situation with the Pike County murders, why haven't there been murders with a similar MO in the area? That's the most puzzling aspect of this horrible crime.

Vehicles returning to relatives of 8 slain Rhoden family members

Not sure where you are getting that info? It has been reported many times that evidence of *advertiser censored* fighting was found at the farm

Cockfighting clues found on Ohio property of slain family: officials | Reuters

I think you have to look at the totality of the situation out there. Its not just one thing; its all the things added together. The *advertiser censored* fighting and grow operation alone tell a story. Then there is the car business. LM himself said this "I think they are going to get in trouble when they run all those VINs,'' he said. "They are going to find some of them ain't even Chris."

Why the Rhoden family had so many cars

It in no way excuses what was done to them. But you have to look at their lifestyle. This is not a lifestyle most of us can imagine living.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18