OH - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #34 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the previous poster was pointing out how the high cost of running the grow op somewhat diminished the profits made from medium size grow ops like those of KR and CR1. I'm sure they made a decent profit, but they were also spending a great deal on expensive lights, watering systems, fertilizer, paying people to maintain the plants, etc. I do agree it's a shame that more in the news media should be calling attention to these horrible murders. Yes, the reward is a pittance, not nearly what it should be to get any witnesses to share information.

JMO, so many family members were killed because the killers knew which ones could identify them as suspects and possibly seek their own revenge.

I'm also not sure about robbery as the main motive for killing everyone. It doesn't seem to fit with prior unsolved murders in the area, for example Candy Newsome and her daughter. If local criminals were targeting grow ops to rob them, we would expect to see similar robberies and murders at other area grow ops and at the homes of area drug dealers like Eury's and the W's. The Rhoden/Gilley murders stand out as a brutal spree killing in a county that, until recently, didn't see too many murders. The common thread with previous murders seemed to be people who used and sold drugs and who had recently been arrested and convicted for drug activity. JMO, it looked like killers were going after people they thought knew too much and might be at risk of sharing what they knew with LE.
High: i agree but did you notice what all 3 murder scenes have in common all 3 can be connected with drugs? the ky couple were dealing drugs if im wrong correct me but thats how i understood it the newsomes a mother and daughter were involved in drugs correct me if im wrong but i believe i read pills and heroin what all 3 cases have in common are 1. none are solved 2. all delt with drugs ? 3. kids were unharmed i understand the newsome daughter was young but old enough to identify her killer(s) also didnt they have cameras missing also? very interesting all this is just jmo like before robbery and add in maybe not paying your bills ?. Other have commented well if its robbery then how come we havent heard of whole familys being robbed murdered all the time yes its true its extreme but it happens. drug dealers get robbed not murdered everyday (sometimes by other drug dealers) but cant report it. So they seek revenge if possible. jmo the Rs knew the killers and the killers knew going in they had to kill or the Rs were coming for them but the mother and daughter were no threat only to indentity so they killed them? and the ky couple the same its just plain overkill dont you all agree its the same rage in those killings also kids in the house not harmed a mother and daughter who pose no threat except they could identify the killer(s). jmo i always thought they were connected the same killing profile all unsolved sad But other posters are correct we never seen pics of the Rs grow opps the ones i remember were probably file photos of other scenes but i could be totaly wrong but i read le said several 100 plants that no chump change thats a business. But; Maybe the Rs were killed by hired misonaries over custody of land or a little girl and the ky couple killed over a family dispute and maybe one of the newsoms ticked off a old flame and they sought revenge. Thanks

High: i agree but did you notice what all 3 murder scenes have in common all 3 can be connected with drugs? the ky couple were dealing drugs if im wrong correct me but thats how i understood it the newsomes a mother and daughter were involved in drugs correct me if im wrong but i believe i read pills and heroin what all 3 cases have in common are 1. none are solved 2. all delt with drugs ? 3. kids were unharmed i understand the newsome daughter was young but old enough to identify her killer(s) also didnt they have cameras missing also? very interesting all this is just jmo like before robbery and add in maybe not paying your bills ?. Other have commented well if its robbery then how come we havent heard of whole familys being robbed murdered all the time yes its true its extreme but it happens. drug dealers get robbed not murdered everyday (sometimes by other drug dealers) but cant report it. So they seek revenge if possible. jmo the Rs knew the killers and the killers knew going in they had to kill or the Rs were coming for them but the mother and daughter were no threat only to indentity so they killed them? and the ky couple the same its just plain overkill dont you all agree its the same rage in those killings also kids in the house not harmed a mother and daughter who pose no threat except they could identify the killer(s). jmo i always thought they were connected the same killing profile all unsolved sad But other posters are correct we never seen pics of the Rs grow opps the ones i remember were probably file photos of other scenes but i could be totaly wrong but i read le said several 100 plants that no chump change thats a business. But; Maybe the Rs were killed by hired misonaries over custody of land or a little girl and the ky couple killed over a family dispute and maybe one of the newsoms ticked off a old flame and they sought revenge. Thanks

In the Eapmon murders there was a 12 year old girl in the house who was left alive IIRC. So in that case there was someone old enough to identify/describe the killers to LE left alive. Again the most glaring difference between the Eapmon, Newsome and R murders is the fact that in the E and N murders the killers did not go to multiple homes to kill extended family members.

JMO

An interesting read.

Question: If someone hired professionals to carry out the murders, might they have stipulated “Don’t hurt the dogs or children”

My reasons for thinking it was not a professional hit include the fact that some of the victims were shot so many times, especially those who were shot in the face. That seemed to me to indicate hatred of the individual.

I would have thought a professional would be detached from any hatred, not even knowing the victims, but hired to do a job.

Also, it seems that professionals would not have shot them so many times. It seems a professional hit would have been done with accurate shots, few shots needed, and an absense of hatred. In my opinion, anyway.

I still think there are locals who know more than they will say because of fear. My opinion only.

Honestly, if I was a family member I would get the heck out of Dodge and move my family somewhere far away.

I like your theory that someone may have stipulated that the hired guns not harm the children or the dogs. That makes more sense to me looking at it from that angle. It vastly expands the suspect pool to include people who didn't know the dogs but were instructed not to harm them.

If it was a hired hit, could they have intentionally shot enough times to make it seem like rage fueled killings?

I like your theory that someone may have stipulated that the hired guns not harm the children or the dogs. That makes more sense to me looking at it from that angle. It vastly expands the suspect pool to include people who didn't know the dogs but were instructed not to harm them.

If it was a hired hit, could they have intentionally shot enough times to make it seem like rage fueled killings?

That is a good point. I hadn’t thought of that.

I still believe that anyone, whether family, friends, or anyone else who might be aware of some information that could help this case could be afraid to talk to LE. After 8 people were slaughtered others might decide to not speak of what they know. My opinion only.

That is a good point. I hadn’t thought of that.

I still believe that anyone, whether family, friends, or anyone else who might be aware of some information that could help this case could be afraid to talk to LE. After 8 people were slaughtered others might decide to not speak of what they know. My opinion only.

It's very possible, JMO highly likely, that people who might know something are afraid to talk for fear they and their family might be the next victims. All the more reason for LE and other investigators to offer them some sort of protection.

It's very possible, JMO highly likely, that people who might know something are afraid to talk for fear they and their family might be the next victims. All the more reason for LE and other investigators to offer them some sort of protection.

I'd not do it for the offer of witness protection. What do you get out of witness protection? Someone to watch over you til the trial is over, and then you're on your own. Unless of course they put you into the Federal Witness Protection and who wants that? Everyone in your life is uprooted, your identity is stripped, and you are moved away from all you know and love, and if one happens to be having an affair, that person is moved, and I'm guessing if they have a family too, their family is moved as well. One leak, and you're done.

I'd not do it for the offer of witness protection. What do you get out of witness protection? Someone to watch over you til the trial is over, and then you're on your own. Unless of course they put you into the Federal Witness Protection and who wants that? Everyone in your life is uprooted, your identity is stripped, and you are moved away from all you know and love, and if one happens to be having an affair, that person is moved, and I'm guessing if they have a family too, their family is moved as well. One leak, and you're done.

Well, compared to living in fear every day of your life, it might be a better alternative for some. Either way, it should have been offered. Any potential witnesses should have been given the choice of getting some protection.

I also think there’s a difference between “hired killer” and “professional hit man”. In other words, just because someone’s hired to do a job, doesn’t mean they’re good at it. “Professional” can mean a lot of different things.

Well, compared to living in fear every day of your life, it might be a better alternative for some. Either way, it should have been offered. Any potential witnesses should have been given the choice of getting some protection.

If the person requests, and qualifies, for state, or federal protection and is deemed safe to move to another community, (about 95% in the program are criminals), and the witness and their family are cool with it, hey, that's their decision. Maybe the witness is already in jail, and will have to have protection there, and can't get left in gen pop. A life in solitary doesn't seem all that great to me either. However, at the end of the day, the witness has to request the protection, and provide the info that they are willing to testify to, in court. It's a big decision. Not one I'd lightly take. I have elderly relatives, children, grandchildren, at least one who could not be moved. No. I'd either testify on my own, or not.

9-21.000 - Witness Security

What Happens When You Enter the Witness Protection Program?

It really bums me out to check in here weekly and not see any updates. Hopefully that will change soon with the new AG. Does anyone know who the new AG will be? I haven't even looked yet. Perhaps it's someone with a more *open* way of doing things. I think about this family almost everyday.
Thank you all for caring and not letting them be forgotten.

His name is Dave Yost. Here is his website if anyone wants to see it.
Home - Dave Yost

Last edited:
This article was shared in another thread (latest mass shooting), by Labor DayRN. It's been one of my theories, that the murders were the result of a long simmering resentment, turned hatred, over a fairly long period of time. Time enough to fantasize a plan, until something set the fantasy into reality.

In almost all high-end mass killings, the perpetrator’s thinking evolves,” said Kevin Cameron, executive director of the Canadian Center for Threat Assessment and Trauma Response.

“They have a passing thought. They think about it more, they fantasize, they slowly build a justification. They prepare, and then when the right set of circumstances comes along, it unleashes the rage.”

This evolution proceeds rationally and logically, at least in the murderer’s mind. The unthinkable becomes thinkable, then inevitable.

Are Mass Murderers Insane? Usually Not, Researchers Say

It really bums me out to check in here weekly and not see any updates. Hopefully that will change soon with the new AG. Does anyone know who the new AG will be? I haven't even looked yet. Perhaps it's someone with a more *open* way of doing things. I think about this family almost everyday.
Thank you all for caring and not letting them be forgotten.

His name is Dave Yost. Here is his website if anyone wants to see it.
Home - Dave Yost

Ive always thought a good profiler could shed a lot of light on this case , being it was and is a particularly brutal and unusual murders .
Ive asked on this forum and another about profiling , only to get the same response ......familicide .
Imo familicide doesn’t really work well . Had it been one person it could be none other then a family member . Imo .

Several people imo doesn’t work for familicide . A off shoot of familicide does seem to work . Meaning , people personally and intimately involved with the family .

Or am i trying to fit a square peg in a round hole ?.

What does stick out in my personal view ( profiling ) is one fk up ideology these people must have .

Who says lets kill a entire family ? Then act on it ?

Answer ) someone who believes there doing the right thing ............IE , one fk up ideology. What that could be is anyone’s guess , but imo it has twisted and distorted religious overtones and beliefs . How else can more then one person justify planning and killing 8 people in 4 different locations , having the same thinking in mind ?

It’s not unheard of to have 2 people kill several other people , but their motive and reason are often seen rather soon , and most dont involve children , and entire family’s .

So in my thinking - weather I’m trying to fit a square peg in round hole or not , ideology of these people imo are key to profiling these people , and getting alittle closer to answers.

Who says lets kill a entire family ? Then act on it ?

Answer ) someone who believes there doing the right thing ............IE , one fk up ideology. What that could be is anyone’s guess , but imo it has twisted and distorted religious overtones and beliefs . How else can more then one person justify planning and killing 8 people in 4 different locations , having the same thinking in mind ?

I think you could well be right.

Though such a motivation would not have to be religious. Rather, it could be a secular motive where the attacker perceived that the family was acting as a single entity during a dispute, or was acting as a unified group when they took a position. Though times have changed, Appalachian families in the past would present themselves as unified group when taking actions or positions.

In short, some secular motives can create equally intense feelings as religious opposition. For example, child custody disputes, property disputes (can get very personal at times), perceived or actual sheltering of a third party etc. whom the attacker considered to be an enemy etc. I have no idea if any of these things played a part though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member