OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it does, but then some differences on rural and then when you get into clan areas. They are very similar but in rural America it's a bit different when you are dealing with isolated clans. Many times with clans they feel it is their family and they have the right to dispense justice. Usually those people try and stay away from LE, I don't know if the Rhodens were like that or not.

Definitely. We were always a "handle it ourselves" family. Nobody would call the cops in a situation. Someone wants to beat up on their wife? The men would step in and there would be problems. Not that someone would necessarily be murdered over it, but you know what I mean. Growing up in these parts your consistently told to handle your own, your a snitch or a b*tch if you call the cops. Especially if these families are dealing with pot.

For example, a family member was pushed down the stairs by an ex husband. While she herself did not grow pot or have large amounts in her home, she was scared she would call the cops and they would search her house for whatever reason, find a tiny smoking device and $10 worth of weed and take her to jail. Especially because in these parts you hear stories of corruption more than good. You know that you are looked down on. It's scary. People in these parts fear LE isn't there to protect them, so they don't get involved. They fear being looked down on as someone that casually smokes pot into a big criminal when they may be a very hard worker that does it just to relax, they fear their word won't be taken over LE. They fear losing everything knowing they don't have the money for the legal fees.

Obviously, the Rhoden's had more than just $10 worth of pot, but that's the point. They strike me as the type to handle it themselves. Which could have been a reason nobody called 911. We have no idea if CRsr and GR heard the gunshots, or FR and HG, or whatever, but they may have been arming themselves to handle it, not call.

Or again, that hearing gun shots was normal, like it is here. I've heard a dozen more since I posted hearing some early this morning. No reason for me to call the police because it's normal.

I'm just going in circles and arguing with my own theories. I'm stumped.

Yes and could actually be cement. Usually you will see a worn area but they could have set up pads.

If the dogs spent most of their time chained, they could easily wear off the grass/weeds there. And it would make a circle because of the chain.

Any type of head wound is incredibly bloody. I've worked in Surgery for years and can tell you that the amount of blood that comes from any type of head wound or surgery looks and is far greater than the actual wound or surgery. Incredible amounts,,,,
This, especially when you are hit in the head or a larger caliber bullet or many be a hollow point.

I could see a 22 with little blood for a head shot with the right circumstances, but not when you get to larger caliber. Even a cut that isn't really bad in the scalp can bleed a LOT.

Welcome Libertasi :)

Good theory 

It is a good theory. Dana posted two flipagrams Oct/Nov 2015 of pics of her and Chris. I think it's an unusual thing to do after being divorced so long, even if you are on good terms. Made me wonder if they were seeing each other again or made an attempt to get back together.

I've followed websleuths for so many years that I know most of y'all by name :). I am a newbie to y'all though. Being near the whole Holly Bobo and baby Noah cases I found it frustrating how people misread country people and just run with it. It happens more with city people not understanding country way of life than vice versa it seems. IMO from
<snip>
cars. Turn around and sell cars for $5k a piece. That's a nice profit. Once a month. Make even more if you sell those cars across the border. See what I'm saying? Who's the new guys horning in on my auctions?
:welcome:

I also posted to the Holly Bobo thread. Glad you decided to join Websleuths. Every single one of us bring 'fresh eyes' to the discussion.

Thanks for bringing your own personal perspective to this thread.

Again!
:wagon:

He lived in a small camper. Blood and matter scatter, I suppose. I think BJM's call that it looked like they beat the hell out of them and the other blood all over comments lead us to think there was a fight. I wonder, since LE said most of them were in bed. The only odd thing is the two bodies together in CRsr.s place. It's possible that GR was sleeping in the living room and they got him first and moved the body. Or maybe they hustled them both in the back room to question them first. Is it possible the killers attempted to make KR's death look like a suicide?

Every time I read the "blood everywhere" quotes I think of the movie Step Brothers, when the bunk beds collapse.

Yep! That's how it always was growing up (hey! Found $300 in this old purse) it sounds RIDICULOUS to those who don't live it. Growing up country also meant growing up poor, while we would hoard the money we got and forgoed thinks like Internet, cable, expensive cell phones, we wouldn't take out loans. Cars were paid for with cash and weren't anything to write home about but got you to A and B. Sometimes the men would try to fix the cars up and sell them for more money. Selling random things from the house to pay the electric bill or buy groceries when we'd fall on hard times. Or selling things to buy something you need, like a new furnace because you don't have the ability to take our the loan for it. I don't find much about the Rhoden's abnormal, because I know how it is. I also know how easy it is to get into slinging pot and realizing the profit that can be made. For people that don't have money and find themselves in legal trouble etc, sometimes it seems like the only option to make a quick buck knowing they aren't qualified for positions. Once that money starts rolling in, it's hard to just stop. It's a crappy cycle to get sucked into, I'm so happy I was able to break free from it, (though I do still live in the country, but have dissociated ourselves from certain family members) but so many people can't. I never landed myself in legal troubles which I think helped me in the long run. Selling any type of drugs is a viscous cycle, you start seeing the money come in and you want more and more and more, it's only normal to want more for yourself or your family, to want to help your kids so they don't struggle their whole life like you did... You aren't thinking about the dangers you are facing, you're blinded by the money.

ETA: someone had mentioned country folk are usually land rich and cash poor, and that's exactly it. The land stays in the family, but the families still struggle, but they find a way to keep their land.
I said land rich and cash poor and your post is excellent!!!! Thanks!!

Just gonna go ahead and jump back in, here.

Just came across this quote:

Hmm. That certainly carries a different connotation than the assertion that this was a "sophisticated operation." Have they moved away from the cartel theory they were dancing around, and towards a more personal motive?

I really think he was drawing a distinction between this "mass murder" and other mass murders that have happened in recent years. This is not that type of mass murder is what I think he was saying. It's just murder. Regular murder(!). Of eight people for some specific reason that they will have to discover.

This, especially when you are hit in the head or a larger caliber bullet or many be a hollow point.

I could see a 22 with little blood for a head shot with the right circumstances, but not when you get to larger caliber. Even a cut that isn't really bad in the scalp can bleed a LOT.

Right. The potential for not so obvious proof of a gunshot single wound to the head would be like a 22 to the back of the head (if there's hair) - small caliber, and even more if close range, while I DO believe any head wound produces a lot of blood (I work in the ER..) it wouldn't necessarily be obvious it would be a GSW.. Single at that.. Unless it was a shot somewhere so obvious, i.e.- the forehead?

It is a good theory. Dana posted two flipagrams Oct/Nov 2015 of pics of her and Chris. I think it's an unusual thing to do after being divorced so long, even if you are on good terms. Made me wonder if they were seeing each other again or made an attempt to get back together.

I believe they were on and off.. Just happened to get the divorce, then end up back together and in a "complicated" relationship.. It happens.. JMO. Especially having kids and grandkids together.. Manley's and Rhoden's living nearby, it's possible they grew up together too and don't want to be on bad terms. It's not for everyone, but some make it work.

Hello Websleuthers. I have been a frequent guest to the site for months, but have recently registered and this is my first post. This case is particularly intriguing to me because I am a life-long resident in a very rural community in the panhandle woods of North Florida. I totally relate to the way that citizens in rural communities live, communicate, socialize, and also how law enforcement operates. I have made a few observations in the case that I hope are relevant:

When the Pike County Sheriff stated at one of the first press conferences that he had no dealings with the Rhoden family in a criminal nature, I felt as though he was not forthcoming in order to maintain the trust and positive communication lines he had going with the family. Had he stated otherwise, he would possibly have immediately alienated the family and shut-down any hope for cooperation and honest communication.

Families in rural communities can be extremely "clannish." While they may not appear close-knit at first glance...try to cross/challenge one of them and they will immediately come together in allegiance. They can condemn, argue, even fight among themselves, but an outsider to their family cannot do the same with individual members. I hate to use this saying, but I hear it all the time in my community...they are as "thick as thieves." So, if an illegal drug operation or cockfighting was going on, the family members may deny it to the hilt. We have another saying here..."DeNile is not just a river in Egypt."

I think all is quiet right now as far as dissemination of new information on the case out of respect for the family and community members while the funerals and memorial services are being held. After the final services are held on Tuesday for the remaining 6 victims, law enforcement/DA will probably begin to communicate with the press more, or even go forward with arrest(s). Attending the services will also give law enforcement an opportunity to listen and observe very closely. People talk (alot) at funerals and wakes. Who knows....the killer(s) may even be in attendance. You can bet that the Sheriff and several of his staff will be in attendance. It happens in my community with most funerals.

You're assuming the paper quoted him correctly. I'm assuming they embellished what he said. I don't think DS found a dead body and then counted money.

You're assuming the paper quoted him correctly. I'm assuming they embellished what he said. I don't think DS found a dead body and then counted money.

He may have just been generalizing the money like "oh there was like a thousand dollars scattered" - but DM took it as fact and reported as such. I don't think the family members doing these interviews have much time to articulate what they are saying. JMO.

I find myself going to bed thinking about this case and waking up thinking about it and the one thought that keeps repeatedly coming up for me is this; the person(s) who did this - likely motivated by revenge and/or envy - are NOT devoid of ALL empathy and compassion. I know that seems crazy to say considering the fact that they killed eight people; however, they did not kill the children, so they have some moral code, as bizzarre as that may be. A "normal" person would ask how is it caring for/about a child to kill the child's parent? And with the child in the home when the parent is being killed? I wonder if this person or persons, for some reason, convinced themselves that these children were somehow better off without their parents? Perhaps the key to finding the killer(s) is not so much in looking at those they killed, but who they allowed to live; the children. There was a rationale for letting the kids live. IMO, The killer(s) will not be able to simply go on with business or life as usual. They will exhibit signs of emotionally distress. Those close to them will notice these changes and be tempted to write it off as nothing. I hope they don't. JMO .

This is possible, but it is also projecting empathy onto the killer/s. Not killing the children could have had purely practical reasons as well, i.e. they weren't part of the operation or they would not be able to identify the killers or give useful information about them.

I don't see how we can discern the difference with what we have to go on.

That is a possibility, especially if it was a bad crime and the family stood by the criminal.

One thing that happens a lot.. Someone can commit a crime against a person and even if they go to prison, they feel the need for their own justice when the person gets out.

People have been killed out in the country also for having a fence line too far over their property line..
On that note Harry Harvey Howard was murdered November 26, 2011

This is possible, but it is also projecting empathy onto the killer/s. Not killing the children could have had purely practical reasons as well, i.e. they weren't part of the operation or they would not be able to identify the killers or give useful information about them.

I don't see how we can discern the difference with what we have to go on.

Exactly. Every theory that pops into my head, I know that there some confirmed piece of evidence that I'm missing to make it plausible. I think we are all just grasping at straws with "what if". It's definitely a terrible tragedy that no family deserved.

I have ruled out family being involved over land, money whatever. Children alive who would inherit.

I have ruled out cartel.

What I haven't ruled out

No leaks from LE at all
Jeff Ruby withdrawing reward money
People other than MR Manley not talking about anything of substance. I think everyone is scared of some one/someone's.

Who???

Maybe LE!!!

Why???

Don't know the answer!!

Another question

Why has no one been arrested in the Jan killing of the mom and dau?

Jmo and thought for today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ruled out family being involved over land, money whatever. Children alive who would inherit.

I have ruled out cartel.

What I haven't ruled out

No leaks from LE at all
Jeff Ruby withdrawing reward money
People other than MR Manley not talking about anything of substance. I think everyone is scared of some one/someone's.

Who???

Maybe LE!!!

Why???

Don't know the answer!!

Another question

Why has no one been arrested in the Jan killing of the mom and dau?

Jmo and thought for today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've definitely pondered LE involvement in one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo