Found Alive OH - Rainn Peterson, 2, North Bloomfield, 2 Oct 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IIRC, numerous searchers had already been through the area close to where Rainn was found. The grass was high where she was laying and tracks showed others had been riding ATVs not far away. It seems possible that searchers could have tossed those items there.

The sheriff implied the cigarette butt had already been tested and now he is sending it back again. That implies no match was found in the first test. I wish him luck and hope he gets an answer soon, but I doubt anything suspicious happened.

I'm glad they are investigating thoroughly, but this feels a little out of the blue. I'm inherently suspicious so wondered if there was something more to it, but I really hoped this was one case that had been resolved that I could move on from. :(

I don't think this is out of the blue at all. JMO but I think LE and the grandparents suspected foul play all along, and I'm sure they have a firm suspect in mind too. Just a guess, but I bet they've had other trouble with this suspect in the past, or maybe someone had even threatened to do something like this.

Gee, who could stand to gain by making the grandparents look incapable of properly taking care of Rainn? :thinking:

The investigation into the toddler’s 48-hour disappearance in North Bloomfield this past October is ongoing. Several agencies are working on the case, including the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and the Trumbull County Sheriff’s Office.

http://wkbn.com/2016/02/05/trumbull-county-sheriff-has-persons-of-interest-in-rainn-peterson-case/

Investigators don’t yet know who the DNA comes from, but Altiere said he has a suspect in mind. “I have a person in mind [that] I think did it,” he said.

Altiere has said he believes someone took the girl and then brought her back.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/feb/...g-toddler-cas/?newswatch#sthash.lI4BVJuQ.dpuf

:pillowfight2:

Just kidding. There's still no evidence her family is involved... at least no evidence that has been released to us. :)

I should add that I personally don't think her grandparents were involved. I'm basing that off the fact that they still (after this new evidence came to light) have custody of Rainn and siblings, but, that may be a wrong assumption, and someone please correct me if so.

I've never felt the grandparents were involved, if anything they were heartbroken that she disappeared while in their care. Other family members/friends are a different story.

I've never felt the grandparents were involved, if anything they were heartbroken that she disappeared while in their care. Other family members/friends are a different story.

I agree. The GGPs had no motive to lure her out of their home. They already had temporary custody and needed to show they were doing a good job. The motive would be seen more clearly if someone was trying to show that the GGPs were not able to care for the children, imo.

Just guessing... LE may have collected DNA to send back to the lab with the cig/apple DNA. Sheriff Altiere has hinted all along that he had someone in mind. He can't say anything more without proof.

Custody will likely be the motive, but the only thing that really matters is that Rainn was found alive. Custody wouldn't mean a thing without that.

Rainn Peterson Case Archive.
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/crankycrankerson/library/Rainn Peterson -OH-?sort=6&page=1

There is a glitch "they are working on" which doesn't allow me to re-organize, so for the time being, the new articles are on the last page.

Just guessing... LE may have collected DNA to send back to the lab with the cig/apple DNA. Sheriff Altiere has hinted all along that he had someone in mind. He can't say anything more without proof.

Custody will likely be the motive, but the only thing that really matters is that Rainn was found alive. Custody wouldn't mean a thing without that.

Rainn Peterson Case Archive.
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/crankycrankerson/library/Rainn Peterson -OH-?sort=6&page=1

There is a glitch "they are working on" which doesn't allow me to re-organize, so for the time being, the new articles are on the last page.

bbm

I realize that this is most likely not what you meant, so please excuse me if I sound pedantic - I don't mean to. However I did want to point out that it does matter who took Rainn, and why. Whoever it was needs to know you can't just kidnap a child, even though they returned her alive, and they need to face the consequences.

Also, please reaffirm to me that every tiny bit of information that someone has, even though they're 'sure' it doesn't mean a thing, should be called in to police regardless, right? We see it all the time in cases we follow on here but it's somehow so different when you're facing it yourself. That's why I try not to be judgy of people who 'wish they had' but at the time felt it was inconsequential.

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/31...ins-open-in-rainn-peterson-missing-for-2-days

The Trumbull County Sheriff's Department has not closed the case on Rainn Peterson, the 2-year-old girl who disappeared from her great-grandparent’s home in October 2015.

Wow. Thanks, JanetElaine! From your link:

The Trumbull County Sheriff’s Department has not closed the case on Rainn Peterson, the 2-year-old girl who disappeared from her great-grandparent’s home in October 2015.
The Bureau of Criminal Investigations has completed its evidence testing, according to Trumbull County Sheriff detectives.

The sheriff’s department says they believe their investigation will be wrapping up soon.

I'm trying to put this together. The investigation isn't closed but the sheriff believes it will be soon. The evidence has been tested. I assume they mean the DNA on the apple and cigarette. From February 5:

On Friday, Altiere said evidence from the cigarette has helped the case. The cigarette is being sent back for additional testing and the apple is now being tested as well.

“In my own mind, I have someone of interest. I have someone who is very interesting,” Altiere said.

http://fox8.com/2016/02/05/trumbull-county-sheriff-shares-new-details-in-the-rainn-peterson-case/

Sounds like the evidence backs up the sheriff's suspicions. Hopefully we'll know soon...

P.S. O/T but I'm having the darnest time reading the new format. The font is hard on my eyes and everything looks grayed out. I feel like I'm in some sort of safe mode or something.

Wow, the sheriff is still working the case:

The investigation into how and why the toddler went missing from her North Bloomfield home remains open and a mystery. In an exclusive one-on-one interview with 21 News, Trumbull County Sheriff Thomas Altiere says he's now waiting on potential key evidence that could shed new light on the case.

"We're still waiting for some information on the cellphones that we confiscated," Altiere said. "We want it, because there's text messages there that we think, and it's just our opinion, that may have some information regarding the case."
The phones were taken from an undisclosed number of individuals during the weekend-long investigation. Altiere can't confirm who the phones belonged to, but does say some belonged to a person or persons of interest. He's narrowing in on an exchange of nearly 50 text messages during that weekend on cellphones that otherwise didn't text more than about once a month.
DNA tests on evidence found at the scene and on Rainn's clothes failed to find anything of substance for the investigation.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/33087190/trumbull-sheriff-waits-for-cellphone-clues-in-rainn-peterson-case

So the cigarette and apple yielded nothing helpful to the investigation.

<snipped>

Seems not. But why would they still not have been able to retrieve texts from almost a year ago?!

Hope this wasn't another Shannon Matthews attempt...

(UK, Shannon's mother arranged for a friend to hide her away for 3 weeks, while she cried for the cameras and desperately tried to raise funds. Pure scum.)

The investigation into how and why the toddler went missing from her North Bloomfield home remains open and a mystery. In an exclusive one-on-one interview with 21 News, Trumbull County Sheriff Thomas Altiere says he's now waiting on potential key evidence that could shed new light on the case.

"We're still waiting for some information on the cellphones that we confiscated," Altiere said. "We want it, because there's text messages there that we think, and it's just our opinion, that may have some information regarding the case."
The phones were taken from an undisclosed number of individuals during the weekend-long investigation. Altiere can't confirm who the phones belonged to, but does say some belonged to a person or persons of interest. He's narrowing in on an exchange of nearly 50 text messages during that weekend on cellphones that otherwise didn't text more than about once a month.
DNA tests on evidence found at the scene and on Rainn's clothes failed to find anything of substance for the investigation.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/33087190/trumbull-sheriff-waits-for-cellphone-clues-in-rainn-peterson-case

He's been waiting 2 months for Ohio BCI to look at text messages? Why didn't he submit that evidence months ago?

Ohio BCI is already understaffed and overwhelmed by several other investigaions: Rhoden family massacre, the serial killer in Ashland/Mansfield area, the Sierra Joughin murder and the possible serial killer who murdered her, the serial killer in the Chillicothe area, etc. There's a very long list of cases and criminal activity they're trying to investigate on a shoestring. Ohio's governor and General Assembly have been cutting budgets for these departments for the last 8 yrs or so.

If this sheriff wants answers, he should go to the FBI to have this testing done.

Very interesting to me that these people who rarely text message suddenly send 50 messages. However, it could be completely innocent too. So I guess we'll see.

Article from 30th Sept, Rainn is doing really well, but she did say something "out of the blue" recently

[Dora/Grandma] Peterson said that Rainn may have mentioned something about the incident just days ago. &#8220;It just came out of the blue &#8212; but I don&#8217;t know if it&#8217;s just a childhood imagination or what,&#8221; she said.

&#8220;We couldn&#8217;t understand how she could stay outside the whole time,&#8221; said Tim Schaffner of Trumbull County Children&#8217;s Services. &#8220;So that remains a puzzle and a mystery we hope someday will be solved.&#8221;

The police say this case will never be closed and they find out exactly what happened.

http://wytv.com/2016/09/30/former-north-bloomfield-kidnap-victim-rainn-peterson-doing-well/

I wonder what it was that Rainn said? Just curious...

She was only 2 at the time, seems unlikely she would remember any of it. She probably has heard people talk a lot about the incident since then, so it's more likely she repeated something she heard from others.

"911, where's your emergency?"

"Hey, I found baby Rainn and she's alive. This is her. Guaranteed 100 percent. You're OK sweetheart. I swear you're going to be OK," said a joyous man's voice to the 911 operator in Trumbull County, in Ohio in 2015.

"I saw a lot of adults cry in joy that day, so I think it was one of the best things in my law enforcement career, really," said Ernest Cook, the Chief Deputy Sheriff of Trumbull County when Rainn Peterson was found.

On that day in Ohio, it was a happy ending. A two-year-old who disappeared from her home on a cold rainy night, was found a few days later after wandering away from home. They found her just in time, before hypothermia took her life.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/la-fbi-agents-idea-is-saving-children-across-the-country/488953254

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back