GUILTY OH - Richard, 84, & Gladis Russell, 85, Bellefontaine, 16 Feb 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
FWIW, I don't believe the Russels were killed in thier house either, there was blood in thier car, surely there would have been blood in the house, at least some drops?

The question now isn't only where Littleton supposedly dumped the bodies. Relatives of the Russells also are questioning whether Littleton is telling the truth.

“There's nothing that they told us that says, 'yes, this is right,” said Mike Coder, nephew of the Russells. “So things (Littleton) has said must have led them there, but there's nothing definite there."

Friday afternoon, Bellefontaine Police met with the Russells’ family where they were told of the search efforts and that investigators believe the Russells were killed in their home. That information took Coder by surprise.

“In the house there was no sign of a struggle, there was nothing, it’s almost like (Dick and Gladis) just evaporated,” said Coder.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/feb...ching-bellefontaine-couple-georgia-ar-406748/

It just doesn't make sense to me that he would kill them all the way up in Ohio, and just get around to dumping their bodies in GA. Of course he has demonstrated he isn't that bright, so who knows? I would think after murdering them he would want to get rid of the bodies asap.
My husband grew up in nearby West Mansfield, although he doesn't know the family, we have been following this story intently. This is just so sad. :( Oh, and when he is tried and convicted for this, sending him to Lucasville is FINE with me.
RIP Dick and Gladis.

The Russells' family has been quoted as saying....."there have been a alot of people in the house at this point, and no one has spotted anything amiss. "

How will that play into gathering evidence now if the house was the crime scene? :waitasec:

I agree with most of you that they weren't killed in their own home. IMO

But there was something that just didn’t look right to Mercer County Sheriff Don Meadows, 64, a law enforcement veteran doing a second stint as county sheriff whose long career includes time as a state trooper and an investigator for the prosecutor’s office.

For starters, the car didn’t have a mandatory West Virginia annual auto safety inspection sticker. It also bore a dealer tag from St. Marys, Ohio. The license plate looked to be hastily fastened to the car — not entirely bolted on.

Much more at link....

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...-murder-suspect-1091443.html?cxtype=ynews_rss

Meadows said the “dog took off after the guy. And the boy raised his hands up and the dog flew through the air to nail him — you can’t call him off when he’s in the air. The dog knocked him down and police immediately called the dog off.”

A special West Virginia State Police team using a male Dutch shepherd named Krotus spotted him.
:woohoo: Thank You Krotus!

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...-murder-suspect-1091443.html?cxtype=ynews_rss

Commander Brian Childress of the Valdosta Police Department said authorities placed the Russells' car in Georgia after two minor incidents.

An officer attempted to stop a vehicle for a minor traffic violation at about 6 a.m. on Feb. 18. The driver, however, refused and the officer did not pursue, per department policy regarding minor traffic violations. Later, another officer took a report of a license plate stolen from a car in a Walmart parking lot near the site of the aborted traffic stop.

Valdosta has two Walmarts, one approx 1/4 mile from an I-75 exit. Look at this Google Earth map. Directly across the road from Wally World, where a license plate was stolen from a car parked in their parking lot, and not far from the aborted traffic stop, are ... 6 cotton fields.

Check out the maps.

Note Walmart off I-75 (top center of image), the I-75 exit and its proximity to Walmart, and the cotton fields on the west side of I-75.

ScreenHunter_01Feb261002.jpg

More, larger cotton fields are just down the road to the west of Walmart.

ScreenHunter_03Feb261017-2.jpg

Perhaps this is where SL left the Russells, close to his favorite store. Certainly worth a look by searchers. SL seems fascinated by Walmart.

So are you thinking SL stole license plates in WV at a cracker barrell and

snip "Meadows, working on several good tips that included sightings of Littleton by a resident near the Walmart, quickly learned the license plate had been reported stolen Saturday, Feb. 19, from a vehicle in the parking lot of a Cracker Barrell a half-mile away."

another at a Wal-mart in Valdosta?

snip "Commander Brian Childress of the Valdosta Police Department said authorities placed the Russells' car in Georgia after two minor incidents.

An officer attempted to stop a vehicle for a minor traffic violation at about 6 a.m. on Feb. 18. The driver, however, refused and the officer did not pursue, per department policy regarding minor traffic violations. Later, another officer took a report of a license plate stolen from a car in a Walmart parking lot near the site of the aborted traffic stop. "

Great map and thoughts truthsleuth!

So are you thinking SL stole license plates in WV at a cracker barrell and

snip "Meadows, working on several good tips that included sightings of Littleton by a resident near the Walmart, quickly learned the license plate had been reported stolen Saturday, Feb. 19, from a vehicle in the parking lot of a Cracker Barrell a half-mile away."another at a Wal-mart in Valdosta?

snip "Commander Brian Childress of the Valdosta Police Department said authorities placed the Russells' car in Georgia after two minor incidents.

An officer attempted to stop a vehicle for a minor traffic violation at about 6 a.m. on Feb. 18. The driver, however, refused and the officer did not pursue, per department policy regarding minor traffic violations. Later, another officer took a report of a license plate stolen from a car in a Walmart parking lot near the site of the aborted traffic stop. "

Oh my, I hope they were not still alive at this point, and hoping to be rescued by the police, who failed to follow the car...:(

The Walmart that is nearest to I-75 is on an access road that runs parallel to the interstate. There are a few areas of woods located on this road but it is a heavily traveled road connecting SR 84 to SR 94, otherwise known as Quitman highway and Moultrie highway. There is a Sam's Club that is directly next door to the Walmart to the north and a bank that is next door to the Walmart to the south. Colquitt Electrical Company sits catty-cornered across the street from the Walmart as does one of the cable providers. Next to the Sam's Club is a wooded field that probably spans the distance of about a block before you reach a mini-mall and the entrance to Lowndes High School which covers a major portion of the area.

Valdosta has two Walmarts, one approx 1/4 mile from an I-75 exit. Look at this Google Earth map. Directly across the road from Wally World, where a license plate was stolen from a car parked in their parking lot, and not far from the aborted traffic stop, are ... 6 cotton fields.

Check out the maps.

Note Walmart off I-75 (top center of image), the I-75 exit and its proximity to Walmart, and the cotton fields on the west side of I-75.

ScreenHunter_01Feb261002.jpg

More, larger cotton fields are just down the road to the west of Walmart.

ScreenHunter_03Feb261017-2.jpg

Perhaps this is where SL left the Russells, close to his favorite store. Certainly worth a look by searchers. SL seems fascinated by Walmart.

Is there a railroad crossing anywhere in the vicinity? (great map and great thinking!)

The Walmart that sits on the road parallel to I-75 is probably a good 1/2 mile from the closest railroad track. I know one train track ones from Quitman into Valdosta and would be on the other side of Hwy 84, located directly behind a Burger King, a Pizza Hut, many convenience stores, and motels. The other Walmart that is off Perimeter Road isn't close to any train tracks that I'm aware of. I shopped and lived in the area of the Walmart off of Hwy 84.

Former Valdosta resident here. If you have questions about locations, etc., I can probably help you with that. I lived there for 8 years.

Also, this is from the Valdosta newspaper yesterday's edition...

http://valdostadailytimes.com/local...authorities-search-for-missing-couples-bodies

Check comment from Mikemary945 (2nd one-1 hr ago)

The "garage" makes sense=no signs in house.

I thought for sure he would've smothered or strangled them which wouldn't take much at their age? But where did the blood come from..It supposedly wasn't a lot which kinda rules out stabbing or shooting..If this is close to the correct scenario it's possible they got 'cut' being put in the trunk (older ppl have very thin skin) & what was found in the front passager seat was 'transfer' by SL.. Just guessing here, of course.

eta..Samuel K. Littleton II, 37, who reportedly lived in the mother’s basement, became a suspect.

It's very frustrating this FALSE info is still being reported at this late date..I believe it's been confirmed by many family members that he "lived upstairs" with mom-g/f.

But there was something that just didn’t look right to Mercer County Sheriff Don Meadows, 64, a law enforcement veteran doing a second stint as county sheriff whose long career includes time as a state trooper and an investigator for the prosecutor’s office.

For starters, the car didn’t have a mandatory West Virginia annual auto safety inspection sticker. It also bore a dealer tag from St. Marys, Ohio. The license plate looked to be hastily fastened to the car — not entirely bolted on.

Much more at link....

Superior police work! Bravo! :)

Littleton apparently spent up to three days in the wooded hills of southern West Virginia. He reportedly attempted building a fire while wearing a hoodie sweatshirt in 20-degree temperatures, according to The Telegraph.

He really IS that dumb! Everything he did reeks of it. :loser:

Former Valdosta resident here. If you have questions about locations, etc., I can probably help you with that. I lived there for 8 years.

Are there any creeks, lakes, or rivers nearby in the Valdosta area?

I do believe it would be a good idea to search around any kind of fields or woods within a few miles from Wal-Mart.

Much more at link....

He sounds like a good sheriff. It takes a lot of observation skill to observe all those details, considering how many cars there must have been in that lot to look through. I loved this quote
“I love this job,” Meadows added. “I don’t stay in the office. I get out and work. I must have put in 76 hours this week.”

It sounds like the citizens were really involved in the capture too! Someone reporting that he might be hanging around in the area, the citizen who noticed his tag was stolen, the cell phone workers who reported that someone was camping in the woods. Very refreshing esp compared to some murders with witnesses who claim not to have seen or known anything.

The Walmart that is nearest to I-75 is on an access road that runs parallel to the interstate. There are a few areas of woods located on this road but it is a heavily traveled road connecting SR 84 to SR 94, otherwise known as Quitman highway and Moultrie highway. There is a Sam's Club that is directly next door to the Walmart to the north and a bank that is next door to the Walmart to the south. Colquitt Electrical Company sits catty-cornered across the street from the Walmart as does one of the cable providers. Next to the Sam's Club is a wooded field that probably spans the distance of about a block before you reach a mini-mall and the entrance to Lowndes High School which covers a major portion of the area.

Is there a railroad track near there?

Check comment from Mikemary945 (2nd one-1 hr ago)

The "garage" makes sense=no signs in house.

I thought for sure he would've smothered or strangled them which wouldn't take much at their age? But where did the blood come from..It supposedly wasn't a lot which kinda rules out stabbing or shooting..If this is close to the correct scenario it's possible they got 'cut' being put in the trunk (older ppl have very thin skin) & what was found in the front passager seat was 'transfer' by SL.. Just guessing here, of course.

eta..Samuel K. Littleton II, 37, who reportedly lived in the mother’s basement, became a suspect.

It's very frustrating this FALSE info is still being reported at this late date..I believe it's been confirmed by many family members that he "lived upstairs" with mom-g/f.

Killing them in the garage would explain why there wasn't any sign of struggle in the house and why the neighbors didn't hear anything.

It has puzzled me why blood was only found in the passenger seat and the trunk. Presumably if he had both Russell's in the car at least two seats would have been taken up. If he forced them to the car at knifepoint, then killed one in the passenger seat where was the other? Was that one forced to get in the trunk then killed? Maybe it is just me but it doesn't make sense. Were they even capable of climbing into the trunk?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
internationalsleuth
Back