GUILTY OH - Richard, 84, & Gladis Russell, 85, Bellefontaine, 16 Feb 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Are there any creeks, lakes, or rivers nearby in the Valdosta area?

I do believe it would be a good idea to search around any kind of fields or woods within a few miles from Wal-Mart.

The Withlacoochee river runs just outside of Lowndes County and in fact, you have to cross it to enter the county on I-75.

There are many creeks, streams, lakes, ponds, etc. in Lowndes County. Lake Park, Georgia which is about 10 miles south of Valdosta has three large lakes. It is also located right off of I-75.

As for the Walmart that I was referencing, it is located on Norman Drive and is about 1/2 mile or less from the railroad track.

There are lots of woods in and around this area. The Florida line is less than 20 miles from Valdosta and there is nothing but woods pretty much all the way down from Tifton, Georgia until you get to Lake City, Florida. Most all of the areas where there are exits getting off/on the interstate in these areas are nothing but woods.

~jmo~

:(Apparently Richard was injured from a fall on the ice before this even happened. Poor thing couldn't have put up much of a fight.

ISSUES WITH JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL

Trail of Murder and Kidnapping?; Judge Trades Convictions for Cash
Aired February 21, 2011 - 19:00:00 ET

Joining me now, Mike and Susan Coder. Susan is the Russells` niece.

First of all, thank you for joining us. I know this has got to be so hard on your family. What is going through your mind and your heart right now as you watch this horror unfold, Susan?

SUSAN CODER, NIECE OF THE RUSSELLS: Well, Uncle Dick and Aunt Gladis are very much a part of our family. I mean, when we have get-togethers, they`re there, and it`s just they`re not now, and it`s very difficult. I mean, we just want them back. We -- you know, that`s all that matters to us. You know, we need them.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I can`t even imagine what these two people in their mid-80s might be going through. They need their medication. Do they not, Susan?

S. CODER: Yes, they do, very, very much.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: What would you say to Sam Littleton if he happens to be watching somewhere on the lam right now, holding these people you love so much as hostages, if that`s the case? What would you say to him?

S. CODER: Just that we want them back. We -- they`re part of our family. We need them.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Why on earth would he take them? I mean, what is -- what do they have to do with him, except that they sold him the house he was in?

S. CODER: That`s a very good question. We haven`t been able to figure that out. You know, there`s -- I suppose money, car, whatever, but we don`t really know.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: If you had one thing to say, if your grandparents -- I`m sorry, if your uncle and aunt were watching right now, what would you say to them to keep them strong?

S. CODER: Just, we want you back. We miss you. We need you. You know, hang in there. I don`t know. Just we want them back.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Neighbors were the first to alert police that something was very terribly wrong at the Russells` house. Listen to this.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I am worried about my neighbors. They`re an elderly couple. I walked around the house. A back door was open.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Hank Kies, you are a friend of the missing elderly couple. You spoke to them the morning they went missing. What did they say? Did they indicate that there was anything amiss?

HANK KIES, FRIEND OF THE RUSSELLS (via phone): Nothing was amiss when I talked to them. I called to ask if Dick would like to ride along to the Lions district cabinet meeting.

And she said his blood sugar was around 4 -- a little over 400 which is dangerous. And -- but she said, "You want to talk to him?" So I did. And we talked, and I asked him how`s come he was gimping around.

And he said, "Well, I had to go out and feed the cats." And he fell on the ice and injured his ankle, break still severe.
VELEZ-MITCHELL: Oh, my God. So this guy was injured even before.

KIES: And I`ve known them approximately 50 years, so...

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Oh, my God.

Here`s my big issue tonight. Now, was somebody sleeping with the enemy here? Tiffany Brown`s mother, the dead woman`s mother, was actually living with this guy, the suspect, Sam Littleton, even after Tiffany was found dead. Listen to this.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

DEBORAH NEELEY, TIFFANY BROWN`S MOTHER: Laid down beside me for five nights and knew it. God help him. God help him. They better catch him before we do.

more at link http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1102/21/ijvm.01.html

Meadows said the “dog took off after the guy. And the boy raised his hands up and the dog flew through the air to nail him — you can’t call him off when he’s in the air. The dog knocked him down and police immediately called the dog off.”

A special West Virginia State Police team using a male Dutch shepherd named Krotus spotted him.
:woohoo: Thank You Krotus!

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...-murder-suspect-1091443.html?cxtype=ynews_rss

Amen to that -- good job, Krotus!!! :clap::clap::clap:

another article - saying the perp confessed to killing the Russell's in their home.

The new information they received was heartbreaking.

Samuel Littleton, who cops say murdered 26 year old Tiffany Brown, has now confessed to killing the elderly couple inside their home.

http://www.abc6onyourside.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wsyx_vid_9495.shtml?wap=0
I am absolutely disgusted. This doesn't make a lot of sense though. He is saying he killed two people with no sign of a struggle, lifted their bodies, apparantly into the trunk, and drove 800 miles to get rid of them? Was he attempting to put them in the dumpster when the trooper came by? Regardless, there was absolutely no reason to kill them! UGH!

Gladis, Richard, and Tiffany, you will get justice. RIP.

UPDATE: Search continues for Ohio couple

VALDSOTA, GA (WALB) - The Lowndes County Sheriff's Office will continue its fourth day searching for a missing Ohio couple Sunday morning.

They've covered all eight exits in the county including side, and dirt roads in efforts to find the coup. Railroad police have also alerted incoming and outgoing trains to keep a look out for anything suspicious.

It just doesn't make sense to me that he would kill them all the way up in Ohio, and just get around to dumping their bodies in GA. Of course he has demonstrated he isn't that bright, so who knows? I would think after murdering them he would want to get rid of the bodies asap.
My husband grew up in nearby West Mansfield, although he doesn't know the family, we have been following this story intently. This is just so sad. :( Oh, and when he is tried and convicted for this, sending him to Lucasville is FINE with me.
RIP Dick and Gladis.

That is exactly what the Issac gang did. They murdered a man in Maryland to get his car. They stuffed his body in the trunk of the vehicle and kept traveling. When they dumped that car in another state they hid the car and left the man's body inside of the vehicle and then traveled on down to Donalsonville, Georgia where they murdered 6 members of the Alday family in cold blood and stoled one of their vehicle.

I am so glad that Littleton did not murder anymore people by thinking he should get rid of the Russells vehicle or there would have been more innocent lives lost, imo.

At least he was dumb enough to think the W. VA tag would work and didn't try to steal another vehicle from some other innocent people.

IMO

another article - saying the perp confessed to killing the Russell's in their home.

The new information they received was heartbreaking.

Samuel Littleton, who cops say murdered 26 year old Tiffany Brown, has now confessed to killing the elderly couple inside their home.

http://www.abc6onyourside.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wsyx_vid_9495.shtml?wap=0

Thanks Texas Mist.

That makes sense to me. He would kill them there. He would not take them with him alive. It would slow the down and he could easily be spotted with them. He had to know everyone was on the lookout for him and the Russells.

It was far easier to make his fast getaway then by putting the bodies in the vehicle and dumping their bodies where they possibly would never have been found. And I pray that is not the case but I just dont trust the words of a triple murderer.

I don't think LE had a clue at the time where Littleton was heading and it sure seems they didn't alert all states to be on the lookout for him either or the Russells.

Because it seems if the GSP had known he was wanted in connection with a murder in Ohio that could have then given them reason to chase or when he was stopped they could have seen that information on the computer.

IMO

Does anyone know if they have checked the car for decomposition?
Wouldn't that give a more accurate timeline as to what point of time the Russells were put into the trunk and how long they were in there?
Blow flies vs coffin flies?

It is beyond belief to me......that he not only killed them.....but drove their bodies..hundreds of miles away.....to hide them.....!!!!!

It seems to me.....he could have....after killing them....hidden their bodies...anywhere else....closer....plenty of woods, places...

Why the need to travel that far.....and risk being stopped..and the bodies discovered...????

Also, he could have just robbed them in their home.....(if robbery was committed)..and tied them up.....and let them live....and taken their car...anyway...WHY KILL THEM???

Also, perhaps this has been discussed already...sorry...Why the need to drive hundreds of miles away to deposit the couples bodies.....and LEAVE the girl's body...in the basement...in the house he was living in...LEAVE HER THERE FOR DAYS...???????

Seems to me he would have gotten rid of her body..immediately...and not KEPT IT there...with him...???

Any thoughts on this....is welcome...as I am soooooo baffled....

It is beyond belief to me......that he not only killed them.....but drove their bodies..hundreds of miles away.....to hide them.....!!!!!

It seems to me.....he could have....after killing them....hidden their bodies...anywhere else....closer....plenty of woods, places...

Why the need to travel that far.....and risk being stopped..and the bodies discovered...????

Also, he could have just robbed them in their home.....(if robbery was committed)..and tied them up.....and let them live....and taken their car...anyway...WHY KILL THEM???

Also, perhaps this has been discussed already...sorry...Why the need to drive hundreds of miles away to deposit the couples bodies.....and LEAVE the girl's body...in the basement...in the house he was living in...LEAVE HER THERE FOR DAYS...???????

Seems to me he would have gotten rid of her body..immediately...and not KEPT IT there...with him...???

Any thoughts on this....is welcome...as I am soooooo baffled....

Sounds like he preferred his victims close to him. I'm starting to wonder if he had killed before, to be quite honest.

For Tiffany I wonder if perhaps he wasn't able to get her body out. Maybe her mother was due back home before he could move her. Then she got reported missing too early and there were too many people around all the time.

For the Russell's I think he wanted to get as far away as possible before LE realized what vehicle he was driving. So killing them prevented them from reporting the theft of their vehicle. LE was initally looking for the truck he was driving, not the Russell's car. The farther away he was when the BOLO went out for him in their vehicle, the less chance that any LE would be looking for him where he was.

My question is why did he go to Florida before he circled back to Georgia?

Sounds like he preferred his victims close to him. I'm starting to wonder if he had killed before, to be quite honest.

thanks for your comment.....

YIKES!!! If that is the reason....(and it could very well be)....what kind of murderer...would want his victims..around him ...after taking their lives????

and you have a great point....He maybe has killed before....

in most cases....and I am just guessing...that after a murder...the murderer wants to separate himself from the act...by...getting rid of the body right away.....and try to resume his normal day to day life..to avoid suspicion..

to WANT to keep the dead...close to themselves...says something bizarre..

thanks for your comment...hoping the couple is found...
Terrible tragedy to this elderly couple...This could have been anyone's grandparents.....There was no need to take their lives....They were frail.

For Tiffany I wonder if perhaps he wasn't able to get her body out. Maybe her mother was due back home before he could move her. Then she got reported missing too early and there were too many people around all the time.

For the Russell's I think he wanted to get as far away as possible before LE realized what vehicle he was driving. So killing them prevented them from reporting the theft of their vehicle. LE was initally looking for the truck he was driving, not the Russell's car. The farther away he was when the BOLO went out for him in their vehicle, the less chance that any LE would be looking for him where he was.

My question is why did he go to Florida before he circled back to Georgia?
I also believe taking the Russells with him, it prevented them being found inside their home where they allegedly were killed, and therefore he tried to delay a missing persons report on them. However, I don't trust what he has told LE as far as where their bodies are located since the search area seems too vast unless he honestly doesn't remember where he put them. MOO

IMO....he knows where he put the Russels.....he is purposely being vague about the location....he does not want LE to discover the manner of their death....in the way that he killed them....

I don't believe that he stabbed them to death...altho some blood was reportedly found, (it could have been a lot more..but downplayed by LE)....
..IMO...there would have been a LARGE QUANTITY of it...from ...(sorry)...bleeding out..and would be too messy in transport...

altho he was on the run....he has a good idea where he stopped for each of them...just playing vague to the LE...IMO...

IMO....he knows where he put the Russels.....he is purposely being vague about the location....he does not want LE to discover the manner of their death....in the way that he killed them....

I don't believe that he stabbed them to death...altho some blood was reportedly found, (it could have been a lot more..but downplayed by LE)....
..IMO...there would have been a LARGE QUANTITY of it...from ...(sorry)...bleeding out..and would be too messy in transport...

altho he was on the run....he has a good idea where he stopped for each of them...just playing vague to the LE...IMO...

If he is familiar with the area he disposed of them, he should know where they are. As far as how he killed them, it wouldn't take much at their ages and physical size/condition; it could have been a single blow to the head, imo. I am curious, however, about blood found in the car and trunk and lack of detail as to what was or wasn't found inside their home. MOO

Limited resources, vast geography make quest to find Russells difficult
Written by Sue Pitts
Sunday, 27 February 2011
Fourth day of search uneventful

LOWNDES CO., Ga., — Lowndes County Sheriff’s Lt. Stryde Jones said as of Sunday afternoon there is nothing new to report in the ongoing search for the bodies of Richard and Gladis Russell.
more at link...

http://www.examiner.org/index.php?o...sells-difficult&catid=34:local-news&Itemid=55

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beanut
Back