OH OH - Richard Beasley & Brogan Rafferty, 3 Craigslist killings, Noble County, 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/215725/45/Akron-Craigslist-suspects-planned-to-steal-identities

They think that they wanted to steal the identities of their victims, so they were looking for ones that answered their ad that were similar to them.
Also, that they didn't have close family so no one would come looking for them.
Bad plan. Great mentor.

According to the article posted above family called him a minister, talked about how he had changed his life, talked about how he counseled other drug users.

But this article gives a totally different picture of him. Promoting prostitution and drug trafficking were about to cause him hard time and caused him to go on the run. Big contrast in the two articles. Evidently family didn't know what he was really up to.

With this article and with the gag order, it makes me speculate that perhaps this guy may have been a major player in the drug market.

When I think of all it took to set this up, first the plan, then talking to these guys and getting all the info to see that they met the needs and talking them into closing up everything to come to Ohio. Doing the murders in a county separate from where they lived. Having a minor do the shooting (at least in the newest case where the guy is still alive). This guy is not a low level criminal. It took a lot of thought, planning, some charm and persistance to do this. And if the one guy hadn't gotten away they probably would have gotten away with it.

Because they were adults, and just missing most likely LE wouldn't have put a lot of effort into tracking where these guys went. After all it isn't illegal for an adult to pull up stakes, move to a new area and not keep in contact with his old life. So LE would have looked at these guys as moving on, not missing.

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-craigslist-ad-murder-suspect-dad-talks-kf-txt,0,2043590.story

Craigslist Ad Murder: Dad Says Teen Was Manipulated

STOW, Ohio— The father of a local teen charged in a southern Ohio murder scheme involving a Craigslist ad said his son was manipulated.

He also explains the relationship between his son and a man who is also behind bars.

Brogan Rafferty, 16, of Stow, is charged with attempted murder and complicity to attempted murder.

Richard Beasley, 52, of Akron, has not yet been charged in connection with the bizarre murder plot.

"I can't believe this has happened. It's like somebody just dropped a bomb on my life," said the teen's father, Michael Rafferty.

He said his son is known as a good kid.

"About how mild-mannered he was and how polite and how much of a gentleman," he said.

<<<<<<<<<<< full article and video at link >>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-craigslist-ad-murder-suspect-dad-talks-kf-txt,0,2043590.story

I can actually see the kid being manipulated to some extent. At his age I don't see him convincing an adult that killing other men for profit is the thing to do. But I can see an adult convincing him either through manipulation and/or threats.

But so far the kid is the one charged with attempted murder. I am assuming he is the one the guy saw with the gun. If he wants any leinancy in this, he better start talking.

I would of thought that after having a high profile case just recentlly in the news and it being called THE CRAIGSLIST KILLER people would stop responding to any add off of a site and not just that case i can recall quite a few people that have either awnsered or put up adds on craigslist and wound up murdered or missing..You would think people would learn by now but i guess not ..

I would of thought that after having a high profile case just recentlly in the news and it being called THE CRAIGSLIST KILLER people would stop responding to any add off of a site and not just that case i can recall quite a few people that have either awnsered or put up adds on craigslist and wound up murdered or missing..You would think people would learn by now but i guess not ..

It has gotten so almost everywhere and everything has a murder attached to it. Everything from the local grocery or convenience store to the PTA. So people have gotten kind of fatalistic about it. They either believe it won't happen in their area or that it just isn't their time. Or they feel they can 'read' people well enough that they can trust their own judgement of the person and the situation. But talking on the phone cuts down on a lot of clues to people's reliability.

This last guy did it right or at least as close to protecting himself as you ever can be in dealing with strangers. He met them in a public place and spent some time talking with them before leaving with them.

Besides if you gave up on everything because a murder was once attached to it, what would you do with yourself?

I was wondering how this teen got mixed up with this bad news guy. Preacher, huh.

Family evidently knew him for 20 years, knew he had had drug problems. But they allegedly thought he had turned over a new leaf. At least til the most recent drug and prostitution chares, then they allegedly told the teen that he couldn't hang out with the guy now. But the teen snuck out and hung with him anyway. Teens dad says the teen was threatened that if he didn't help him and his family would be punished.

I'm concerned that they want to charge this teen as an adult. It seems to me that he may have been "groomed" by Beasley for a long time. I hpoe the prosecutor looks into that aspect of the crimes commited by Beasley. JMO

I'm concerned that they want to charge this teen as an adult. It seems to me that he may have been "groomed" by Beasley for a long time. I hpoe the prosecutor looks into that aspect of the crimes commited by Beasley. JMO

I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but from what I have been seeing I am kinda guessing.

The man is not charged with any crime related to the attempted murder or murder. The boy is charged with the attempted murder. They said the guy who was shot looked back and saw a guy holding the gun. I am thinking that was the kid. Since there was a witness, that is why he was charged and the man wasn't. If the kid isn't talking, there is no way to charge the man as there may not be any evidence against him and the only evidence is against the kid, not the man. So that is part of why he might be tried as an adult. Second it is almost routine anymore that if a murder occurs and minors are involved, if they are over 16, they are gonna go down as adults. Adult crime, adult charges. Third they may be wanting to help the kid. But if he doesn't talk, he will have to take the full rap as there may not be much evidence that the man is involved in the murder or attempted murder.

The first victim was reported missing on Nov 7th. I'm local but never heard a word in the news about him being missing. Maybe if they would have done that, they would have caught them before someone else got shot. WV is horrible about putting missing people on the news.

Besides if you gave up on everything because a murder was once attached to it, what would you do with yourself?[/QUOTE]

Yes your right however It's a little different then it being one murder thier has been at least a handfull on the news alone .How many of the girls from the Long Island serial killer case were murdered after using craigslist like 5 or 6 and the very first one that i recall was a young kid that killed i think the baby sitter and they found her in the trunk of his car after he pretended they needed her so she came over and he killed her .Im pretty sure when asked why he did it his awnser was because he wanted to see what it felt like and then you have the actuall craigslist killer and i heard of one more after that not long ago and now this one .So there is a bit of a difference between not doing something because of a murder once being attatched to the site using an add of some sort to what is the real scenario which is people that have put up or awnsered to adds on craigslist have been murdered were not talking about one case were talking about a dozen and thats the high profile ones who knows what the real count is .

There could me more victims..

"FBI: Missing man may be linked to craigslist murder-robbery" (The Columbus Dispatch, November 22, 2011)

"A missing Canton area man may be connected to the craigslist murder-robbery plot in Noble County.

Timothy Kern, 47, was last seen early on Nov. 13 in the Plain Township area of Stark County. He told family members that he was meeting with a prospective employer, and has not been heard from since, which family said is unusual for him."

"What Kern told family members is similar to what two other men, one now dead, told others about a potential job in Ohio working on a cattle ranch."

Full article can be found here:
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/11/22/craigslist-murder-missing-man.html

There is another small article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/22/fake-craiglist-ad-killing_n_1108116.html
"Timothy Kern, was promised $300 a week, a trailer and a truck for the job near Caldwell in Noble County.

Jack Kern says his son was excited about the job because of the chance of bettering his life and helping his three sons."

There could me more victims..

"FBI: Missing man may be linked to craigslist murder-robbery" (The Columbus Dispatch, November 22, 2011)

"A missing Canton area man may be connected to the craigslist murder-robbery plot in Noble County.

Timothy Kern, 47, was last seen early on Nov. 13 in the Plain Township area of Stark County. He told family members that he was meeting with a prospective employer, and has not been heard from since, which family said is unusual for him."

"What Kern told family members is similar to what two other men, one now dead, told others about a potential job in Ohio working on a cattle ranch."

Full article can be found here:
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/11/22/craigslist-murder-missing-man.html

There is another small article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/22/fake-craiglist-ad-killing_n_1108116.html
"Timothy Kern, was promised $300 a week, a trailer and a truck for the job near Caldwell in Noble County.

Jack Kern says his son was excited about the job because of the chance of bettering his life and helping his three sons."

Oh goodness that one was a father.

I thought there was a good possibility that this one would develop into a serial. I think they will connect this one, and I just wonder how many others they will find.

OMG! Look at the timeline! The guy who was shot and escaped that happened on Nov. 6. This guy they think met with Beasley on Nov. 13. So after one guy getting away, they continued? IMO this guy won't be found where the other one was. This guy will have been buried somewhere else. But where is the question.

Timothy Kern was promised $300 a week, a trailer and a truck for the job near Caldwell, his father, Jack Kern, told The Associated Press on Tuesday. He said his son was excited about the job because of the chance of bettering his life.

In a Facebook post on Nov. 10, Tim Kern wrote: &#8220;Just got one of the strangest job offers. A good offer but strange. The job is to watch over 680 acres south of cambridge. Odd jobs and such but mainly just secure it. Trailer, utilities, salary. Drawbacks? No cell phone service, kids are up here, and i have to move this sunday.&#8221;
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news...an-stow-teen-are-suspects-in-slaying-1.246804

Columbus Dispatch and the other media has done a good job of "putting the faces" on the victims, giving more info than their names, ages and where they were from. This is esp noteworthy because they were not from Columbus, they were from other parts of the country.

For example one victim has never been ID'd by LE because the gag order was put into place before the offical announcement. His name was David Pauley and here is his story:

Family puts face on victim of craigslist plot

David Pauley packed a U-Haul trailer with all of his worldly possessions, including his beloved collection of model trains, and set out in his truck for a fresh start in Ohio.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/11/21/family-puts-face-on-victim-of-plot.html

Pauley reportedly met with the Craigslist ad lister on Oct. 23 (according to the email he sent to family saying he was meeting with the man the next day.)

What strikes me the most about these guys is that all three appeared to be making it, but struggling. Either unemployed or doing menial, low wage work. Yet all three were eager to do better. All three were seeking out better opportunities. They weren't looking for handouts, just better opportunities. So sad.

Norfolk man lured to Ohio for job, shot in head, family says
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/11/norfolk-man-lured-ohio-job-shot-head-family-says

Beasley was on line alot. I found he is BayWolf59 and he's on alot of those prison talk boards. One example:

http://www.prison-discussions.info/en/mq86vzr

Meanwhile he had a halfway house? Ya have to be mighty careful with that there. Indeed there are some that have rules, regulations and serve as they should. Then you get people who go opening their own house and taking everyone's social security disability check or if they work almost their complete weekly pay. Sounds like he was doing that plus running prostitutes out of there. I have no doubt there's unfortunately some missing addicts that lived out his house.

Columbus Dispatch and the other media has done a good job of "putting the faces" on the victims, giving more info than their names, ages and where they were from. This is esp noteworthy because they were not from Columbus, they were from other parts of the country.

For example one victim has never been ID'd by LE because the gag order was put into place before the offical announcement. His name was David Pauley and here is his story:

Family puts face on victim of craigslist plot

David Pauley packed a U-Haul trailer with all of his worldly possessions, including his beloved collection of model trains, and set out in his truck for a fresh start in Ohio.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/11/21/family-puts-face-on-victim-of-plot.html

Pauley reportedly met with the Craigslist ad lister on Oct. 23 (according to the email he sent to family saying he was meeting with the man the next day.)

What strikes me the most about these guys is that all three appeared to be making it, but struggling. Either unemployed or doing menial, low wage work. Yet all three were eager to do better. All three were seeking out better opportunities. They weren't looking for handouts, just better opportunities. So sad.
Norfolk man lured to Ohio for job, shot in head, family says
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/11/norfolk-man-lured-ohio-job-shot-head-family-says

BBM

Very sad for all the victims who were trying to improve their situations, and I feel so sorry for the children of Kern...

Wonder how many more victims they will find? The boy should really be telling the whole story to LE or he is going to end up taking all the blame and this predator will get by again....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back