OH OH - Richard Beasley & Brogan Rafferty, 3 Craigslist killings, Noble County, 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some more interesting bits from the article posted above.

"While it appears that each victim was robbed, multiple police sources say the real motive behind the killings might simply be murder." Should this be moved to the serial killer section??

"Richard Beasley, 52, is being held in the Summit County Jail under a $1 million bond." "He had been on the lam for three months, jumping bond in August while awaiting trial on unrelated drug trafficking and prostitution charges."

"Beasley’s alleged accomplice — Brogan Rafferty, 16, a Stow-Munroe Falls High School junior — is being held in a juvenile detention facility in Zanesville. He is charged with complicity to attempted murder in the Nov. 6 shooting of Scott Davis"

"It appears Rafferty is speaking with investigators and placing blame on Beasley as detectives build their case." IMO Suggesting that information from Rafferty lead LE to the places where they found the bodies on Friday.

"After spending 15 years in prison over three different stints in the 1980s and 1990s, Beasley said he became a Christian and a minister of sorts." And..."He ran a halfway house in Akron"..."Police say the halfway house was a front for prostitution."

"He was jailed in Summit County from January through July on the prostitution and drug charges until Judge Tammy O’Brien lowered his $2,500 bond to $1,000."

My comment...Nice guy. :rolleyes:

According to the news source: "In early October, the Craigslist ad appeared for the first time." IMO I don't trust that report and suspect that there are more victims...

All quotes taken from here: http://www.ohio.com/news/prime-crai...lice-is-cooperating-with-authorities-1.247529
Which is also in the last two posts.

Didn't the victim who survived ID both suspects?

The assumption is that he did identify both the ex con and the teen. But only the teen has been charged in that case.

And the assumption is that one or both of the men were involved in the murders (maybe all three???) but so far no one has been charged in the murders.

http://www.ohio.com/news/prime-craigslist-suspect-proclaims-innocence-unhappy-alleged-teen-accomplice-is-cooperating-with-authorities-1.247529

In early October, the Craigslist ad appeared for the first time. An untold number of people responded. Some interviews were conducted at Chapel Hill Mall.

A lot more info at the link

According to a previous article Beasley allegedly told one of the men who were interviewed that they had over a hundred responses to the ad. But the article didn't say if he said how many they actually interviewed.

According to that article body number 3 wasn't even autopsied yet. But the article is definately tying it to these killers. The only way they could know that is if the kid talked.

The kid has told his parents that he didn't directly observe any shooting. But from the articles it sounds like the parents need to sit down for a long talk with the kid. He is after all the only one charged with attempted murder.

http://www.ohio.com/news/prime-craigslist-suspect-proclaims-innocence-unhappy-alleged-teen-accomplice-is-cooperating-with-authorities-1.247529

In early October, the Craigslist ad appeared for the first time. An untold number of people responded. Some interviews were conducted at Chapel Hill Mall.

A lot more info at the link

From Sharedspirit's link:
Rafferty’s parents, however, have said their son has talked to detectives. The teen also told his family that he did not directly witness any shooting. However, after one event — the Davis shooting — Beasley allegedly returned out of breath and “distraught” after meeting with the man. The divorced parents, Yvette and Michael Rafferty, said in previous interviews that they believe their son was threatened by Beasley, who mentored the teen for nearly 10 years through their church, The Chapel in Akron.
Threatened??? Don't have any sympathy for the teen. There were THREE murders!! And he was 'distraught' after Davis - well Davis is the one who got away! I guess he was 'distraught' because he was afraid of getting caught.

The picture of Beasley & the teen on that story was very disturbing. Beasley has a long history of serious crimes. It's hard to imagine him "mentoring" that young boy in any positive way at all! As parents, we have to be so careful about who we let "mentor" our children! It's horrific to imagine what kinds of crimes this teenager was exposed to at a very young age.

Brogan Rafferty is in a juvenile detention center, accused of helping Beasley execute his crimes. In a letter shown exclusively to ABC News, the teenager says that authorities are "more concerned with hanging me than helping me." He is charged with attempted murder and complicity to attempt murder.

This is from your link, Fran. This boy needs to realize that people have been murdered here. What kind of help is he expecting, I wonder?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501366_162-57327006/fla-craigslist-jobseeker-found-dead-in-ohio-grave/

He told police he had been walking in a wooded area with one of the men when he heard a gun *advertiser censored* and turned to see a firearm pointed at his head. He pushed it away and ran. He said multiple shots were fired and he was hit once. The man said he had met the others for breakfast and later rode with them in a vehicle, believing he was headed to the farm, until he was told a landslide had closed the road and entered the woods on foot.

From the man's story, I thought he was talking with one of them while the other tried to shoot him - could he have been with only one of the men? But he "rode with them" in a vehicle - I think the teen lied to his family when he told them he didn't directly witness the shootings. These murders were probably not his idea, but he is 100% guilty IMO.

From Sharedspirit's link:

Threatened??? Don't have any sympathy for the teen. There were THREE murders!! And he was 'distraught' after Davis - well Davis is the one who got away! I guess he was 'distraught' because he was afraid of getting caught.

I don't feel sympathy. But I do see how he could have been groomed for crimes like this. It makes me wonder just how much his parents really knew. My guess at this point is that they knew a lot more than they are saying about what their son was involved in. Do we know which parent he lived with?

I believe that even as children we either know the difference from right and wrong....or we don't. At 16, he knew what the consequences were and chose to be involved anyway.

The picture of Beasley & the teen on that story was very disturbing. Beasley has a long history of serious crimes. It's hard to imagine him "mentoring" that young boy in any positive way at all! As parents, we have to be so careful about who we let "mentor" our children! It's horrific to imagine what kinds of crimes this teenager was exposed to at a very young age.

They almost look like father and son in that pic don't they?

From the above link:
Brogan Rafferty is in a juvenile detention center, accused of helping Beasley execute his crimes. In a letter shown exclusively to ABC News, the teenager says that authorities are "more concerned with hanging me than helping me." He is charged with attempted murder and complicity to attempt murder. http://gma.yahoo.com/ohio-craigslist-killings-mother-says-teen-son-innocent-090641165.html

True teen type statement. At worst he may have participated in 3 murders and one attempted murder. At best he knew and didn't tell. Yet he thinks that people should be more concerned with "helping" him.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501366_162-57327006/fla-craigslist-jobseeker-found-dead-in-ohio-grave/

From the man's story, I thought he was talking with one of them while the other tried to shoot him - could he have been with only one of the men? But he "rode with them" in a vehicle - I think the teen lied to his family when he told them he didn't directly witness the shootings. These murders were probably not his idea, but he is 100% guilty IMO.

I agree. The victim talked even before the arrests. And from what he has said he was talking with one, and turned and could see the other holding a gun. Which means it sounds like the kid is lying when he says he wasn't present. If he is lying about this, what else was he lying about? It makes it harder to believe he was only doing it because he was threatened. If he was only doing it because he was threatened, then why isn't he spilling the truth now that Beasley is in another jail and he is safe.

They almost look like father and son in that pic don't they?

From the above link:

True teen type statement. At worst he may have participated in 3 murders and one attempted murder. At best he knew and didn't tell. Yet he thinks that people should be more concerned with "helping" him.

http://newyork.ibtimes.com/articles/257177/20111128/craigslist-killings-mother-says-teen-son-manipulated.htm

According to the teen's mother, Beasley has been like a mentor to the boy since he was 6 years old.

Also, this is very disturbing.

According to former special FBI agent, Brad Garrett, there could be a sexual component to the killing or a dynamic similar to the D.C sniper case where the 16-year-old was manipulated into randomly targeting people. " I can't buy that it was just robbery," he told ABC News.

http://newyork.ibtimes.com/articles/257177/20111128/craigslist-killings-mother-says-teen-son-manipulated.htm

According to the teen's mother, Beasley has been like a mentor to the boy since he was 6 years old.

Also, this is very disturbing.

According to former special FBI agent, Brad Garrett, there could be a sexual component to the killing or a dynamic similar to the D.C sniper case where the 16-year-old was manipulated into randomly targeting people. " I can't buy that it was just robbery," he told ABC News.

Very disturbing. It sounds like Beasley was arrested for the possession and prostitution charges several months ago and has been in hiding (from LE) for at least the last 3 months. IMO...I don't buy that it is just robbery as the motivator. This man is a serial killer and has managed to drag the teen into his fold, IMO. It has been reported that the teen had a tough life growing up. How could his parents let him get involved with this criminal at the age of 6?

I hesitate to believe anything the parents say. (IMO, IMO)

I also doubt the media reports that the first Craigslist ad was in October. If Beasley has been on the "lam" for more than 3 months and looking for an identity to steal, this killing spree could have started much earlier.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back