OH OH - Ruth Baumgardner, 21, Delaware, 4 May 1937

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
First of all, thanks to all of you who have e-mailed me regarding this new information about Ruth Baumgardner. I appreciate it.

I have done a great deal of research about Ruth, and never uncovered anything about her being found and placed in an asylum. However, I certainly can't say that isn't true.

The whole "white slavery" thing doesn't feel right to me. How did Ruth wind up in the hands of white slavers? She snuck out of her dorm room late at night most likely to meet up with someone she knew. Unless she had been seriously duped, it seems unlikely that she would have arranged to meet up with someone intending her harm.

We have speculated regarding a possible pregnancy, but nothing has ever actually been proven about that. It's just a likely scenario.

One thing I have learned from years of researching these old cases it that mistakes, misstatements and outright lies often make it into newspaper accounts and even official records. You have to take the totality of the information from all sources, weed out what you know to be completely inaccurate, and what you have left is as close to the truth as you can achieve.:banghead:

Again, while I doubt the whole white slavery, mental asylum scenario, it could be possible. I'd feel more comfortable if there was more than one official source of the information.

I look forward to reading any further info about this, because I'd love to put Ruth to rest in my mind!

Later I will type word for word part of the court testimony of the star witness in the Conn Murder case that tells how they took her. Yes she was meeting someone and yes she was doped.

The following is word for word from a section of the testimony given by the state's star witness, Charles Dryer, one of the defendants. The Harrison Prosecutor, Fed Orum, was asking the questions. This occurred on before noon on Wednesday September 19, 1938 in the Harrison County Court room Cadiz, Ohio during the Sereno trail. The 1st of the 3 trials. The defendants were Peter Sereno, Bernard Massulla, Booker Johnson, and Charles Dryer (also known as Ford)

"Q. After you have met these men as you testified to, what if anything did you do -- the four of you? A. We got in a car; we went towards Steubenville.
Q. When you got in the car was anything said by any other occupants as to where you were going? A. Not at the time until after we got to Steubenville.
Q. Did you come to Steubenville? A. Yes.
Q. Did you stop at Steubenville? A. Yes.
Q. Where did you stop in Steubenville? A. We stopped at a house on Wells Street.: the fellow that was supposed to run the hose was named "Steubenville Skip".
Q. That name "Steubenville Skip", is that a nick name? A. That is the name I have know him by -- I don't know.
Q. Did you stop at this place in Steubenville -- the car load of you? A. We stopped and Massulla and Book Johnson got out and went inside.
Q. Who remained in the car? A. Sereno and myself.
Q. How long did you sit there in the car, you and Sereno? A. We sat there approximately 15 minutes.
Q. What if anything then happened , after you sat there 15 minutes? A. After we had been there 15 minute Johnson and Massulla came out again.
Q. Then what did they do? A. They said we were going to Delaware, Ohio.
Q. Where did they say they were going? A. They said they were going to Delaware, Ohio.
Q. Who said this? A. Johnson and Massulla said that when they came out.
Q. Did they say why they were going to Delaware, Ohio? A. Massulla had an appointment with a girl there.
Q. Who told you that? A. He said so himself.
Q. Sir? A. He said so himself.
Q. How long did you remain at "Skip's" in Steubenville before leaving for another part of Ohio? A. About 15 minutes.
Q. Where did you go from Steubenville? A. We left Steubenville for Delaware.
Q. Taking what road if you know? A. So far as I know, Route 22 up to Zanesville. We turned off there.
Q. Prior to this trip you are speaking of, how many times had you been in Ohio, Charley, before that time? A. I had been in Ohio twice before that.
Q. To what place? A. Steubenville.
Q. Was you to "Steubenville Skips" those two times? A. No I have never been there before.
Q. Where did you go to Steubenville before this day? A. I went with a cousin of mine to visit a friend of his.
Q. How long prior to last spring or spring before last, was that you had been there? A. About a year.
Q. Is Steubenville as far west in Ohio as you had ever been before this time you speak of? A. Yes.
Q. Now Charley, did you arrive at Delaware on this trip? Did you go to Delaware? A. Yes
Q. Who told you it was Delaware? A. When we got to where we were at, Massulla said this was Delaware.
Q. After you arrived at Delaware or this place Massulla said was Delaware, what if anything happened then, Charlie-- what did you immediately after arriving at this town? A. When we arrived there we met the girl after we arrived there.
Q. How did you meet this girl? A. We was going along a street there--there is a girl standing about the middle of the block; Massulla said stop the car and he got out and went over and talked to the girl.
Q. about how long a time did he talk to this girl? A. Well, it was about two or three minutes.
Q. Then what if anything, happened next? A. He brought her over to the car and she saw the three of us in there-- the other three, and said she didn't want to go with him then.
Q. Then what reply was given to that? A. He said "You are going anyway".
Q. What did the girl say? A. She said she didn't want to go so he slapped her.
Q. Who did? A. Massulla slapped her. Held her arms and put her in the car.
Q. Did anyone else assist in putting her in the car? A. After the girl was in the car Johnson held her hands: she kicked me and I held her legs.
Q. What happened after that-- what seat was this girl in? A. In the rear seat.
Q. Who was in the rear seat with the girl? A. Myself, Massulla and Johnson.
Q. What kind of car were you driving on that trip? A. A Buick '35 or '35.
Q. What kind of body did it have? A. Sedan.
Q. Four door car? A. Yes, sir.
Q. Do you know who claimed to own this car? A. Johnson claimed to own it.
Q. After the girl was in the back seat of the car with as you say, Massulla, Johnson and yourself, what next happened? A. Well, she was struggling trying to get loose and Massulla took a hypo and gave her a shot in the arm with it.
Q. What do you mean by "hypo", Charles? What is a hypo? A. It is an instrument you administer shots to a person with.
Q. What kind of shots-- what kind of material? A. Narcotics. Or different intoxicants.
Q. What if any reaction did this shot have on this girl? A. It quieted her and she stopped struggling.
Q. Now, where was the car and where was the crowd when this hypo was administered? Did you do that while it was standing along the curb? A. The car was still standing there.
Q. Then did the car afterwards move out of there? A. Yes; Johnson got out-- she had a overnight bag with her; he got out put the bag in the car and got in the front seat.
Q. Whit whom? A. Sereno.
Q. Where did the car go to with this crowd? A. We went back towards Steubenville.
Q. Did you ever arrive at Steubenville on this trip? A. Yes, we went back to Steubenville.
Q. Did you stop at Steubenville on your way back? A. Yes, we did.
Q. Where did you stop? A. The same house were Johnson and Massulla stopped before we went to Delaware.
Q. Did anybody get out of the car at this place? A. Johnson and Massulla got out with the girl.
Q. What if anything did Jonson, Massulla and the girl do? A. The girl was taken into the house.
Q. Can you describe to the jury how she was taken into the house? A. There was one on each side of her that helped her out of the car and took her in the house that way.
Q. Did you make any observation of the condition of the girl when she was taken out of the car at Steubenville? A. She acted as if she was under the influence of a narcotic.
Q. How long did your crowd remain in Steubenville at that time? A. We were there about ten minutes.
Q. Did you get out of the car? A. I got out and started to take the overnight bag in and Johnson taken it from me and told me to stay there.
Q. Who did go into the house if anybody? A. Jonson and Massulla.
Q. Did anybody but Johnson and Massulla go into the house? A. And the girl.
Q. Who remained outside with you? A. Sereno.
Q. Was he still driving the car? A. Yes.
Q. How long was it before Johnson and Massulla returned to the car? A. About ten minutes.
Q. Then what if anything was done next by the four of you? A. When they came out we went back to Pittsburgh."

Thank you Marilynilpafor postingabout these new posible findings. I have been waiting to hear your opinion on all of this.

I tend to believe this scenario more and more after reading all of the recent posts.

Good find, BostonSu!! that article was great and really seemed to tie all of these ideas together.

And lastly thank you to fact-n-detail-finder for breathing new life into this case. I really think you are nost likely correct. I really would like to know how you came across all of this new informationn??

It really all makes me want to know more about Ruth's fate. I wonder if there is any way we can ever know where she ended up. I hope she was able to have a decent life.

I have been doing an in-depth study on the Murder of Patrolman Conn. He was the first Ohio Highway Patrolman shot and killed. The Patrol was only 4 years old at the time of the shooting. Patrolman Conn was only on the force about 2 years when he was killed. I have been trying to nail down every fact I come across on this. The 75 year anniversary is coming up September 27, 2012 and it is also tie with Freeport's, Ohio Bicentennial. I have seen the Court records, the Patrol investigation reports, Old Newspapers, and even talked with a person who heard the shoots fired that killed George Conn (He was 8yrs old at the time and lived on the farm along the road where George was killed).

@fact-n-detail-finder> thanks so much for sharing your research with us and taking the time to type out the testimony

@BostonSu> Great find on the article! Seems pretty convincing along with fact-n-detail-finder's research.

I hope that Ruth was able to put the incident behind her and have a happy life.

Just to add further confusion... Follow up articles seem to indicate she was NOT found as the police speculated she would be.

Jan, 22, 1938- coincides with arrest- Ruth's mother doubts story
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=chVBAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GqgMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6086,4673977&dq=ruth-baumgardner&hl=en

Sept. 1938- Ruth still not found, "confessor" claims he knows her whereabouts
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Ah1BAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UqgMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6670,825272&dq=ruth-baumgardner&hl=en

This article is dated 1941- still not found?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=E8pQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=kNAMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1615,3378501&dq=ruth-baumgardner&hl=en

August 16, 1941- still an open case
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=LiBKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zoUMAAAAIBAJ&pg=2684,8446&dq=ruth-baumgardner&hl=en

I read the article and it was very interesting. Good find, it does however raise a lot of questions as I don't think she would be the type of girl to run away with a bunch of criminals. Glad to see this case has been getting some attention and new things are being discovered.

I keep thinking, (much like kids today who meet someone online), she met & talked to someone a few times, and trusted him. She may have thought she was going with him to somewhere like Niagra Falls for an adventure, never guessing he was a predator.

Amy74:
Thanks for posting the follow up articles. They were a little confusing, but they make me wonder if the later ones were part of a cover up? If the family and the police department didn't want it to be known that she was found and the case just dropped, they could posted statements in newspaper articles to cover things up.

I'm sure things like that were done all the time in those days. People just didn't have access to facts like they do today. People usually just bought whatever story they read in the newspapers without question.

I'm sure there weren't as many conspiracy theorists as there are today.

This information should be sent to Charley Project and anyone else that features her. Does anyone want to do this? I've never before, and haven't been that close with the case either.

Fact-n-deal-finder:

Is there a way you can scan that transcript and any other identifying information for that transcript (book cover, title page, etc) if available? If no one else has, I am going to send that and the news articles to Doe Network & Charley Project and wherever else to have back-up on both theories. <modsnip>

I sent all of the files (transcripts of the book and PDFs of the news articles) and a summary of events to Doe Network. The below is the summary I sent, I had to send files in a separate email and kind of rehashed the story.

Oh, FactnDetail found the transcripts at the courthouse that Conn's murder trial took place.

Hello - I was given information regarding the Ruth Baumgardner case and offered to pass the information on. I have no relation to her or to Law Enforcement, just a regular citizen. I will send all documents to ***.

The rundown of what happened to Ruth is that she was kidnapped by a man she knew (how she knew him isn't known) and was drugged. Somehow these men were involved in "white slavery" and prostitution and were involved in the first murder of a Ohio State Patrol officer (the person that gave me this information is doing research on him - his name was George Conn) in which it is believed Ruth was a witness.

What happened after this is what the mystery is - news articles (which I will send) indicate that all of the above was true, however she was never located. According to Ernest Paul Webb, another Ohio State Patrolman that knew Conn, she was returned to her family and put into a mental institution. Her family and their Pinkerton Agency PI asked law enforcement to tell the press that she was never found BECAUSE they sent her to an institution. (Personally I think they did this because she was "prostituted" and women were frequently sent to institutions during that time for reasons outside of what we consider mental illness today, but I have no backup on that.)

Webb published a book and the person that gave me the information found transcripts with this information in the courthouse in which the Conn trial took place. Somewhere in Ohio, I don't have that information readily available but it could probably easily be found. Anyway, due to this I believe that Ruth was found alive. Please note that in the transcript pages I send, Ruth is not mentioned immediately but I believe the first few pages are important to understand what she was involved in. Please confirm you received this information, and if you have any questions please contact me.

I want to thank Fact for bringing all of us this information. It is much easier to do nothing. So THANK YOU Fact!

:tyou::yourock::jumping:

I'm excited to see movement in a cold case. My heart is in the Evelyn Hartley case but it makes me thrilled to know that this one might have been figured out. It truly was a team effort, not only to keep it on the front page of the forums, but I know some of the members here have been here for a long time hunting information, dedicating lots of their time to Ruth. All of your hard work paid off!

I will keep everyone updated if I hear anything back from Doe Network.

Now if only we could figure out something in Evelyn's case...

I never heard back from Charley Project and her page has not been updated. I provided PDF copies of all court documents and his transcript (basically, a "sloppy copy" of his book that was probably used for proofing as there are corrections on it and whatnot) as well as a summary. Is this normal? Do I need to do anything else? It has been a few weeks...

I never heard back from Charley Project and her page has not been updated. I provided PDF copies of all court documents and his transcript (basically, a "sloppy copy" of his book that was probably used for proofing as there are corrections on it and whatnot) as well as a summary. Is this normal? Do I need to do anything else? It has been a few weeks...

The person who runs Charley Project has had some health problems recently and sometimes there is a long period between updates. But she usually writes on her blog about what is going on with her health and when to expect updates. I notice she hasn't blogged anything since April 15, which was only 3 days ago. But I know she has also had some computer problems, which she has blogged about in the recent past. Between her health issues and her computer problems, she is pretty far behind on updates and correspondence. I would give it a little more time and then maybe submit the info to her again. Thanks for submitting the info to The Doe Network and Charley Project.

The person who runs Charley Project has had some health problems recently and sometimes there is a long period between updates. But she usually writes on her blog about what is going on with her health and when to expect updates. I notice she hasn't blogged anything since April 15, which was only 3 days ago. But I know she has also had some computer problems, which she has blogged about in the recent past. Between her health issues and her computer problems, she is pretty far behind on updates and correspondence. I would give it a little more time and then maybe submit the info to her again. Thanks for submitting the info to The Doe Network and Charley Project.

If I don't hear anything by June I'll send again.

If someone is reading this and it is June and I haven't updated, remind me lol!

:woohoo:Thank goodness! It looks like all the pieces are starting to fall into place. Ruth was probably pregnant and had put out feelers for finding an abortionist. This Massula character let it be known in certain places, among certain people, that he could obtain one for a girl in need. A college campus would be a perfect place to "put the word out". He probably made it sound very safe and respectable, as if he were the middleman for a doctor, nurse or midwife who did this sort of thing on the side. Naturally, when Ruth sees all these men in the car, she panics and wants out of the deal. She had no idea she would be taken to a house of prostitution, where madams often performed "scrapings" (underworld slang for abortions) on girls who worked in the house. Or on kidnapped victims of white slavery, who would soon be working in the house. They often controlled these girls with narcotics (like the hypo Ruth got in the car) to keep them quiet and to get them addicted so they would work tricks in order to get their next "fix". In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned "The Loss Place" in connection with Ruth's disappearance, wondering what it was. I think its safe to assume now that the Loss place was probably a brothel.

IF Ruth was found, by Pinkertons or police, she may have already been made into a "dope fiend" as they called them back in those days. She also quite possibly was half insane from the treatment she underwent as a victim of forced prostitution. This would explain her going into a mental institution. Certainly all of this is something her family would've wanted to keep quiet, even to this day. As for the 1941 articles on a sheriff re-opening the case, perhaps it was nothing more than self promotion to get some free publicity; perhaps an election for sheriff was coming up and he wanted to keep his job?

:woohoo:Thank goodness! It looks like all the pieces are starting to fall into place. Ruth was probably pregnant and had put out feelers for finding an abortionist. This Massula character let it be known in certain places, among certain people, that he could obtain one for a girl in need. A college campus would be a perfect place to "put the word out". He probably made it sound very safe and respectable, as if he were the middleman for a doctor, nurse or midwife who did this sort of thing on the side. Naturally, when Ruth sees all these men in the car, she panics and wants out of the deal. She had no idea she would be taken to a house of prostitution, where madams often performed "scrapings" (underworld slang for abortions) on girls who worked in the house. Or on kidnapped victims of white slavery, who would soon be working in the house. They often controlled these girls with narcotics (like the hypo Ruth got in the car) to keep them quiet and to get them addicted so they would work tricks in order to get their next "fix". In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned "The Loss Place" in connection with Ruth's disappearance, wondering what it was. I think its safe to assume now that the Loss place was probably a brothel.

That's such interesting information Stella! Thank you. Where did you find all of this?

Though it would be intrusive, I would love to know more about how the rest of her life turned out. I sure hope she was able pick up some of the pieces and have somewhat of a fulfilling life. I guess there is no way of knowing though.

Hi Momtolil, I hope everything turned out for Ruth okay myself; she has been my pet cause, so to speak. I've been looking into her case since late 2006; everything I've found has been over the internet. Just lots of digging and researching and swapping ideas with fellow Websleuthers. I'm anxiously waiting to see what everyone thinks!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaMaude
Back