OH OH - Ruth Baumgardner, 21, Delaware, 4 May 1937

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for the article. I liked seeing the pictures of the suspects. Pictures always make these cases seem to come to life for me.

I still can't believe all of us here on this site (especially the really experianced sleuthers) missed all of this during the early stages of the search.

I know right, and how many people have come through this thread? I can only attribute it to timing (the right articles not up). Makes you wonder how many of these cases can be solved (or at least jump forward significantly) just be waiting a few years for the right articles to be uploaded. Or, just waiting for someone to take the time to google it! So many cases hit dead ends after the first few posts *le sigh*

The 1940 census records will be available next year...That 72 year delay... It might give her family and brothers and sisters. Possibly there will be genealogy records somewhere. Those could show when and where she died.

I know right, and how many people have come through this thread? I can only attribute it to timing (the right articles not up). Makes you wonder how many of these cases can be solved (or at least jump forward significantly) just be waiting a few years for the right articles to be uploaded. Or, just waiting for someone to take the time to google it! So many cases hit dead ends after the first few posts *le sigh*

It's like fact-n-detail dropped by and gave us all the missing pieces we needed to move ahead with this case. I dont think he/she has been back since. Where did they go? We could really use resources like that.

I wish the Doe Network and Charley would add these new findings to their pages, if only as an idea or possible clue. This way if they were't comfortable posting them as facts people could come to their own conclusions about the case with all of the information provided.

Though it seems the numerous newspaper articles back up fact-n-detail's
conclusions.

Bud Moore was Harry B. Moore of Cleveland, OH.
He was 22 years old and attended Fenn College in Cleveland, Oh. Ruth and Bud met at her family's cottage in Vermilion, OH. They planned to get married in the summer after graduation.

Ruth's father's company manufactured funeral goods.
I found information that the Baumgardner family originated in Pittsburgh, Oh but I haven't confirmed that it was this family.

It would be nice to locate members of Bud's family to see if they know the whole story...................

Bud Moore was Harry B. Moore of Cleveland, OH.
He was 22 years old and attended Fenn College in Cleveland, Oh. Ruth and Bud met at her family's cottage in Vermilion, OH. They planned to get married in the summer after graduation.

Ruth's father's company manufactured funeral goods.
I found information that the Baumgardner family originated in Pittsburgh, Oh but I haven't confirmed that it was this family.

It would be nice to locate members of Bud's family to see if they know the whole story...................

I would love to hear from his family members if they do know something about this. I'm curious about whether Ruth and the suspects are still alive. It is possible, even though they would all be very old.

I'm sure Ruth's family kept quiet about all that had happened but Bud might have talked. Some of his family might know the truth. Fenn College was for engineering and is now a part of Cleveland College. I haven't been able to find an alumni page for either. Of course an email or a letter might help. I'd like to see his picture.

I'd also like to find out who he married and where they lived. Could be some leads there.

His name had to be "Moore". So common and this might be tough! Not impossible though............

1920 census record including Ruth and her sister

Emma E Baumgardner
United States Census, 1920

birth: 1888 —Ohio
residence: 1920 —, Cuyahoga, Ohio
spouse: Carl Baumgardner
children: Ora F Baumgardner, Ruth E Baumgardner

record title: United States Census, 1920
name: Emma E Baumgardner
residence: , Cuyahoga, Ohio
estimated birth year: 1888
birthplace: Ohio
relationship to head of household: Wife
race: White
marital status: Married
father's birthplace: Massachusetts
mother's birthplace: Ohio
digital folder number: 4383745
sheet number: 1

Looks like they took him on the Census in the town of Delaware Oh and his wife by county............

Carl Baumgardner

birth:
1892 —Ohio
residence:
1920 —, Delaware, Ohio

record title:
name:
Carl Baumgardner
residence:
, Delaware, Ohio
estimated birth year:
birthplace:
Ohio
race:
White
marital status:
Married
father's birthplace:
United States
mother's birthplace:
United States
digital folder number:
sheet number:

Ruth E Baumgardner

birth: 1916 —Ohio
parents: Carl Baumgardner, Emma E Baumgardner

name: Ruth E Baumgardner
estimated birth year: 1916
relationship to head of household: Daughter
marital status: Single
father's birthplace: Ohio

Ora F Baumgardner

birth: 1909 —Ohio
parents: Carl Baumgardner, Emma E Baumgardner

name: Ora F Baumgardner
estimated birth year: 1909
relationship to head of household: Daughter
marital status: Single
father's birthplace: Ohio

A girl in Boston claimed to be Ruth. The police called her sister Mrs Ora Hardwick and she said it could not be Ruth because the girl didn't have the dental work that Ruth had.

Her father went to Boston to see if that was Ruth.

The girl was said to be very familiar with the case and the police said Ruth's picture "tallied with Miss X in all respects"

This was around May 20, 1937. Here is the link.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...kMAAAAIBAJ&dq=ora baumgardner&pg=3152,6569463

I might be able to buy that she was Ruth if the dates were different. If Ruth was in a mental institution, it most likely wouldn't have been that soon after her disappearance. I think the highway patrol officer was killed in September of that year, and Ruth was reported to have been a witness to that murder.

This article states that the four were accused BY Ruth, which is interesting to me. It's the first time I've noticed that (even though I have looked at the article a few times). It's the title of the article. It's confusing though, because it states that she accused them, but that police were hoping to locate her later that day.

http://fultonhistory.com/newspaper ...ork NY Evening Post 1938 Grayscale - 0151.pdf

I might be able to buy that she was Ruth if the dates were different. If Ruth was in a mental institution, it most likely wouldn't have been that soon after her disappearance. I think the highway patrol officer was killed in September of that year, and Ruth was reported to have been a witness to that murder.

This article states that the four were accused BY Ruth, which is interesting to me. It's the first time I've noticed that (even though I have looked at the article a few times). It's the title of the article. It's confusing though, because it states that she accused them, but that police were hoping to locate her later that day.

http://fultonhistory.com/newspaper ...ork NY Evening Post 1938 Grayscale - 0151.pdf

Thanks for the article... It's still amazes me everything that is coming out of the woodwork!

Wow that picture included in the article doesn't even look like all of the photos of Ruth. This paticular picture looks like Ruth at about the age of 40 or possibly her mother? I wonder if that is really her?

I always have a hard time getting information from these old articles. Everything is so vague without ever including a conclusion to the story. I guess it's just a different kind of journalism than we are used to today.

Having said that, I still love looking through the other articles and advertisements in the the newspapers. It really allows you to connect to the times and the world these people lived in, I love history stuff like this.

Thanks for the article... It's still amazes me everything that is coming out of the woodwork!

Wow that picture included in the article doesn't even look like all of the photos of Ruth. This paticular picture looks like Ruth at about the age of 40 or possibly her mother? I wonder if that is really her?

I always have a hard time getting information from these old articles. Everything is so vague without ever including a conclusion to the story. I guess it's just a different kind of journalism than we are used to today.

Having said that, I still love looking through the other articles and advertisements in the the newspapers. It really allows you to connect to the times and the world these people lived in, I love history stuff like this.

I like the ads too. I loved the one for dresses that were on sale for 3 dollars. I know that 3 dollars then is probably equivalent to 50 dollars now, but it still caught my attention.

The writing of these articles is very odd. It's very unclear about how exactly she was found, and that title in particular is misleading. I don't know much about the history of journalistic standards, but even for that time, the article contradicts itself with the headline and the police statement. I think it's great that we're starting to get more access to these old articles. They definitely help provide a better picture of this case.

I completely agree with you about the picture. IMO, it doesn't look like Ruth at all.

I do believe the court records where the suspects talk about picking up Ruth and Ruth's location during the murder are probably very accurate, though.

I think the Sub-Title of the article is deceptive and they left out one detail in the article. Bernice was in the car when the officer was murdered. She was the witness and the link. She might have been the one to tell on them. Maybe she got caught doing something or just had a quilty conscience and told. I don't think it meant Ruth told.

I love the ads too. I saw a wedding dress on an old ad recently that looked like Kate's dress............

If you want another old case to look at I put one on for Thomas Sumerix, Ruth Guthrie, and Joseph Kulesza in Ohio 1963. Tommy and Ruth were murdered and both cases are still unsolved. I'm still trying to find out about Joseph. His body was never found..or at least I haven't found information that he was found.

I agree that wasn't Ruth. I should have noted that those were excerpts from the article. Sorry.........

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back