GUILTY OH - Sierah Joughin, 20, Fulton County, 19 July 2016 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What types of appeals can he make? Against the sentence of death? Against the guilty verdict?

What types of appeals can he make? Against the sentence of death? Against the guilty verdict?

He will have DP appellate Lawyers. They will look at all, anything from Trial to grant a stay from execution date and see if anything can be overturned and commuted to a life sentence.

I wonder how much weight the judge’s comments of him having had an excellent defense team will carry through the appeals

Good luck Monster. You will die in Prison (by a health issue or somebody shanks you) or by lethal injection. I could care less. Many of us here have followed the likes of him. Waste of oxygen and skin!

I wonder how much weight the judge’s comments of him having had an excellent defense team will carry through the appeals

No weight really. He had a Defense. He will have a new set of Lawyers for Appeals. All they will look at is if something at Trial can be overturned on a ruling the Judge made. He had a fair representation in Court. There will never be some new astounding evidence to clear him. He did it and the Jury spoke. Loud and clear.

Can someone please tell me why the judge was giving him other sentences with how many years he could get- he got the DP, so what was all that other stuff about?

Can someone please tell me why the judge was giving him other sentences with how many years he could get- he got the DP, so what was all that other stuff about?

Worley was charged and found guilty of 17/19 different charges, each of which has to be sentenced according to punishment under law. The punishment for the weapons charge alone, for instance, would never be death. This will never happen in Worley's case, but when a criminal is convicted of multiple charges if any specific charges are overturned on appeal the defendant would still face punishment for the other crimes of which he was convicted. In Worley's case if the death penalty charges were overturned he would still be facing substantial jail time. This happens in cases of LWOP as well. Why add 10 years for a weapons charge or abuse of a corpse to a life sentence? The prosecutor was covering all bases when he was charged to make sure Worley will never ever be out.

The judge said at the end...even if I thought there was a snowballs chance in hell you were innocent, you'd still be looking at life. That meant, with what he sentenced him for all the other crimes..to be served consecutively...would still keep him in prison for life.

Watched his statement again. Some things that stood out:

Almost sounds like a confession (talks about spraying down his barn, talks about how dna is lost when spraying down or burying a body, makes comment about how many days she was with the abductor, where she actually died)

Determined to defend not only against murder, but any negative thing against him (re-litigating the 1990’s case, low intelligence? “114 iq”, poor family life? “Family is great”, failed businesses? “Businesses were a success”

Sounded like he tried to blame his friend for stealing his helmet. (Made a very odd comment about how “conveniently” the helmet his friend gave him was the same one he lost the previous year.)

He reminds me of two people in my life: one is a very good friend, but a bit of a b.s.-er....just talks nonstop, much like Worley. Not intelligent, but never unable to ramble on. The other person is someone I never could trust. Always trying to tie commonalities with others about things he’s screwed up.

I don’t think he’s a serial killer anymore. Aren’t they proud of what they’ve done? He’s still denying it even after he’s been recommended the death sentence. On the other hand, he also made a comment that if “helmet print man”’s dna is ever found, he is certain there will be many more victims to appear, so I dunno?

The man talked for 45 minutes. 45 MINUTES. I once had to give a 15 Minute speech for a grad school course and thought I was going to puke.

Similarities between the two known abductions (if I was guilty would I stay at the crime scene? If I was guilty, would I leave my possessions at the crime scene?)

“Turd in the Field” reminds me of The Rolling Stones song “Turd on the Run”. Also applicable to him.

Still can’t figure out...WHY *didn’t* they test the feces?

According to BCI testimony, they didn't test the feces because you rarely get any DNA. At the most, superficial skin cells from the bowel/rectum. Waste itself, does NOT carry DNA. That was the explanation. I happen to think, IMO, they should have at least bagged it as evidence but they didn't even do that.

He has killed before. There's no doubt in my mind. 25 years ago, Robin Gardner would have become a missing woman. He doesn't take them to a second location to let them go and he was taking Robin to a second location. He didn't 'NOT' do it again for 25 years, no way, no how. He went on and on about how tough it is to dig a grave that deep, why it was dug that deep, etc. How he kidnapped her...he said the "other" guy "beat her down with the helmet."
"He subdued her in the field, restrained her so she couldn't escape" while he went and got a vehicle. One of the most chilling things he said was, "And people don't know where she died, I've heard people say she died right there in the field on 6 but I THINK, she died on 7. That means he is saying that he took her alive to 7, dug her grave, killed her OR he buried her while she was still alive. Those are the only 2 options for his "she died on 7"

I hope for peace for this whole family and extended family. I hope they never have to see or hear this monster's voice again. Thank goodness the trial is over.

I hope for peace for this whole family and extended family. I hope they never have to see or hear this monster's voice again. Thank goodness the trial is over.
There is a court date next month for SJs family to have possession of his estate. But it's more of JW hearing SJs name where ever he goes.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

He provided details about what really happened. I'm very interested in his remark that started with "The FIRST grave"...if there was a first, that means there was a second, third, etc.
It wasn't just us that walked out. All the jurors were in the gallery. They walked out too. Other spectators walked out also.

When he mentioned the other locations he should have taken her, the abandoned barns in the neighborhood (versus taking her back home and having evidence all over his property)....I think that was a "I should've done this" reflection....but, nonetheless, I think they could/should check out those abandoned barns for clues of other crimes.

I am insulted that he thinks the masses, myself included, are so stupid to believe that he ran into SOOOOOOOO much bad luck that night. His DNA just happened to be at all three crime scenes...and he tried to explain it all away as if everyone was born yesterday. If it was not real life, I could see it being the makings of some kind of comedy skit..... it is just so nonsensical that he was expecting everyone to believe his outlandish tall tales.

The frightening thing was that I could see how he could come off as semi-personable if you would have met him on the street two years ago.

I am glad that so many people walked out during his ramblings. I wish everyone could've walked out....but those employed there had no choice but to sit there peacefully. I honestly thought his strategy was going to be to ramble on and on for years on end to avoid receiving his fate.

EDIT TO ADD SIDENOTE: The OJ Simpson comparisons?!?! OMG...because anyone actually believes OJ was innocent???

Worley was charged and found guilty of 17/19 different charges, each of which has to be sentenced according to punishment under law. The punishment for the weapons charge alone, for instance, would never be death. This will never happen in Worley's case, but when a criminal is convicted of multiple charges if any specific charges are overturned on appeal the defendant would still face punishment for the other crimes of which he was convicted. In Worley's case if the death penalty charges were overturned he would still be facing substantial jail time. This happens in cases of LWOP as well. Why add 10 years for a weapons charge or abuse of a corpse to a life sentence? The prosecutor was covering all bases when he was charged to make sure Worley will never ever be out.

:tyou:

Just tuned in been a difficult past 2 weeks here on the home front.

Is there a link to watch the live feed from yesterday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MG89
Back