GUILTY OH - Sierah Joughin, 20, Fulton County, 19 July 2016 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly wish that it was shared that when oxygen is completely cut off, you lose consciousness in about 15-20 seconds.

it was, Jashrema. I’ll see if I can find it again.

from yesterday: The yellow gag that had blocked airways from her nose and mouth, depriving the brain of oxygen in a matter of minutes. https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...County-19-July-2016-9&p=14005511#post14005511

[FONT=&quot]Joughin’s cause of death, however, was determined to be “asphyxiation due to mechanical obstruction of the mouth,” Beisser said, adding the yellow object found in Joughin’s mouth (a dog toy), was roughly the same size as her oral cavity.“If you fill the oral cavity completely, you are essentially cutting off both ways of getting air,” Beisser said. https://www.crescent-news.com/news/...lowed notification email&utm_content=headline
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

hopefully, they went into more detail than what we get.

(A dog toy? :( First time I've seen that... )

Not just any old dog toy, but a rather large hard-rubber it appeard to me.
Pic from video at https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IwiprByufWQ
attachment.php

Attachments

• 22BE3024-D465-48A6-BC47-51475C0CE14F.jpg
    22BE3024-D465-48A6-BC47-51475C0CE14F.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 220
Update from today
https://www.crescent-news.com/crime...cle_d0fcbbcb-53f2-51ce-8e05-08cf4eb24784.html

The only witness was Robin Gardner, who described her attempted abduction in 1990, and the similarities to SJ’s abduction: [FONT=&amp]both in their twenties, both riding bikes alone, both handcuffed. The onky question from defense was whether Worley had remained at the scene (he had)[/FONT]

Sierah’s mom and boyfriend have been a constant presence during the trial.

The judge explained what jurors can expect as they get into deliberations: limits on reading materials, rooms will be checked, nominal contact with court staff — they can be pleasant, but no conversations.

[FONT=&amp]Gardner, 54, who requested not to be photographed during her testimony, was 26 and living in Whitehouse on July 4, 1990, preparing to go on an Independence Day picnic, she told jurors, when she decided to take a bike ride toward Oak Openings Preserve Metropark. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]"The corn was high, there was nobody around," Gardner said.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]She said she was about a mile from her home, on a country road, when she encountered Worley for the first time.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"I heard a car coming next to me, then that car hit me," Gardner said.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]At first, Gardner testified, Worley asked if she was okay, prompting her to let her guard down.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The next thing she registered, she said, was a blow to the head.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"He said, 'Get in the truck or I'm going to kill you,'" Gardner recalled.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Gardner said Worley forced her inside the vehicle, retrieved a pair of handcuffs from his glovebox, and placed them on one of her wrists.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"We fought and fought; he wanted to get both hands behind my back," Gardner said.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]She said she struggled and flailed as much as she could, hoping a passing motorist would see something was amiss.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]When Worley let go of her, Gardner said, she seized the opportunity to get out of his truck and flag down a passing motorcyclist.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"I said, 'Please help me, he's going to kill me,'" Gardner said. "(Worley) said 'Don't listen to her, she's crazy. Don't listen to anything she says.'"
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Unlike Joughin, Gardner would make it home, on the back of the passerby's motorcycle, albeit still wearing the handcuffs.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"I wanted them off right away," she said. "I was begging for them to get them off."
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]They were removed several hours later, she testified, at the hospital, with bolt cutters.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]When she arrived home, she said she was met by police and an ambulance, and was subsequently taken back to the scene on Obee Road, where Worley had remained.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]She told jurors she was hospitalized for three days following the incident, due to a skull fracture and concussion.[/FONT]

Update from today
https://www.crescent-news.com/crime...cle_d0fcbbcb-53f2-51ce-8e05-08cf4eb24784.html

The only witness was Robin Gardner, who described her attempted abduction in 1990, and the similarities to SJ’s abduction: [FONT=&quot]both in their twenties, both riding bikes alone, both handcuffed. The onky question from defense was whether Worley had remained at the scene (he had)[/FONT]

The judge explained what jurors can expect as they get into deliberations: limits oj reading materials, rooms will be checked, niminal contact with court staff — they can be okeasant, but no conversations.
O/T: I hope she has a good editor.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Update from today

The only witness was Robin Gardner, who described her attempted abduction in 1990, and the similarities to SJ’s abduction: [FONT=&]both in their twenties, both riding bikes alone, both handcuffed. The onky question from defense was whether Worley had remained at the scene (he had)[/FONT]

The judge explained what jurors can expect as they get into deliberations: limits on reading materials, rooms will be checked, nominal contact with court staff — they can be pleasant, but no conversations.

The poor girl :(

Thanks to everyone for the links....:blowkiss:

:cupcake:

http://m.wtol.com/toledonewsnow/db_347256/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=YJZjHuwY

"He kept dragging me to the truck and I kept screaming and begging to get away.He finally got me to the truck, opened the passenger side, pushed me in and opened the glove box and there were handcuffs inside," Robin told the jurors.

... "I showed
him the handcuffs and my bike in the ditch and the handcuffs still attached to wrist."

In trials, the state is not allowed to tell jurors if the defendant was involved or charged in other crimes, but they used this witness to show that the way Worley tried to abduct this woman back in 1990 fits the same design he used to kidnap Sierah.

..more at link

She said she "didn't get the report back", not that she didn't have it with her. Why she would testify in a capital murder case without the report is beyond me.

Wish Joypath, who is a WS medical examiner, was following this thread to answer. Perhaps a subtlety that we don't understand? She has been so helpful on other cases. But I don't think I have seen her on this case.

I think I’m comparing this to the Cherish Perrywinkle ME who was given autopsy photos before her testimony and asked to verify that she took those photos before proceeding. I recall it took several minutes for her to go through them. What I’ve read about this coroner’s testimony is very different in that regard.

It was very different. Typically we see the Coroner testifying to facts the State has presented and they bolster it with their findings. This...... I don't get.

So what proves that he killed Ce? Beyond a reasonable doubt? (Devil's advocate here)
What pieces put together prove murder?

So what proves that he killed Ce? Beyond a reasonable doubt? (Devil's advocate here)

The fact she is dead and she was brutally murdered. If u want to read back and not just Trial tweets there is much. If u go back there are some spreadsheets. I truly don't have the time right now. If I can find it I will post it for you.

The fact she is dead and she was brutally murdered. If u want to read back and not just Trial tweets there is much. If u go back there are some spreadsheets. I truly don't have the time right now. If I can find it I will post it for you.
DNA from both at each crime scene. Though for me, it was the weird pink colored underwear found on his property that had her DNA on it. No reason for it to be there.
Phone pings that lined up.
Helmet, that he admits was his, covered in her blood.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

If you have been following and know all the information, I would love to hear from you what gives you a reasonable Doubt even as a devil's advocate.

I'm sorry, I should have stated that I have been following the case since she disappeared and have read everything that has ever been shared and all videos posted. Sorry about that. I am also originally from the area and my dad is a large grain farmer, so the location is dear to my heart and so "close to home" for me.
What I'm asking is from the point of view of a juror --- what actually proves that JW was the one who killed her? Would his DNA on things at each of the 3 scenes be enough or is that only enough to prove he had been to all 3 scenes, but there is nothing to prove he was the one to murder her? Or is it that she was found in items that he had purchased -- is that what proves murder by him? I'm just trying to get what evidence actually proves the murder. For me the kidnapping is a definite proven. The abuse of a corpse -- what proves that HE is the one who abused the corpse. I don't mean to argue whatsoever, just wanting help trying to understand what evidence proves the various charges. Thanks in advance, if anyone has the time or is up for the discussion.
PS - I believe he did all of it. And I have no nice words for him. At all.

So it is my understanding that if he is found guilty then the defense team calls the expert witness so they can hope for a lesser sentence? JW never admitted guilt for the attempted abduction in 1990. Will he have his attorney tell a made up story that he was just out for a ride and that SJ was an acquaintance and would be at his house? I know he will not admit to doing anything. I wish someone would have come forward that knew him and said he told them about this. Saying lots of prayers. Sounds like now we wait until Friday.

I'm sorry, I should have stated that I have been following the case since she disappeared and have read everything that has ever been shared and all videos posted. Sorry about that. I am also originally from the area and my dad is a large grain farmer, so the location is dear to my heart and so "close to home" for me.
What I'm asking is from the point of view of a juror --- what actually proves that JW was the one who killed her? Would his DNA on things at each of the 3 scenes be enough or is that only enough to prove he had been to all 3 scenes, but there is nothing to prove he was the one to murder her? Or is it that she was found in items that he had purchased -- is that what proves murder by him? I'm just trying to get what evidence actually proves the murder. For me the kidnapping is a definite proven. The abuse of a corpse -- what proves that HE is the one who abused the corpse. I don't mean to argue whatsoever, just wanting help trying to understand what evidence proves the various charges. Thanks in advance, if anyone has the time or is up for the discussion.
PS - I believe he did all of it. And I have no nice words for him. At all.

They have no smoking gun murder weapon with DNA from him. The ONE piece of evidence at the burial site was a mixture of his and hers DNA on a piece of duct tape around her ankles, so thank God for that. Unfortunately, the coroner did not match up the bike helmut with her injury, nor did she say anything about the other injuries she sustained. It's all about the DNA left at the scene of the abduction and in the barn. I felt the defense was going to go with the "other guy did it" as there was unknown DNA everywhere but since their defense is only lasting one day, I don't know if they will or not.

They have no smoking gun murder weapon with DNA from him. The ONE piece of evidence at the burial site was a mixture of his and hers DNA on a piece of duct tape around her ankles, so thank God for that. Unfortunately, the coroner did not match up the bike helmut with her injury, nor did she say anything about the other injuries she sustained. It's all about the DNA left at the scene of the abduction and in the barn. I felt the defense was going to go with the "other guy did it" as there was unknown DNA everywhere but since their defense is only lasting one day, I don't know if they will or not.

Thanks for your thoughts and explanation, Jashrema. And, I want you to know my thoughts and prayers have been with you and your family throughout this past 2 years. It is horrific for those of us who didn't know Sierah, I can't image the pain and agony for those of you who are living this in person. My heart aches for you.

I appreciate you breaking it down that there doesn't seem to be a slam dunk or smoking gun on JW for the murder charge. There is a lot of things pointing in his direction, and they can nail him on other charges no doubt, but the murder charges I'm not sure on. I hope the jury just doesn't think too hard on it, honestly. There's no way he didn't do it; but there has to be evidence. I am frustrated that the prosecution left some holes in the testimony that allows for doubt or a chance that he didn't do it. I hope they find a way to tie it together and clearly prove that his DNA on the duct tape is a slam dunk. (BTW - was it the duct tape on her ankles that has both of their DNA, as I thought it was a piece of tape found at the site, but not necessarily on her. Because, obviously, if it was tape that wasn't bound to her, the defense could again say that he may have been there and that's why his DNA is on the tape, but he didn't use the tape to murder her.)

How much doubt is reasonable. I want this to be a sealed tight case against him. I can't stand waiting until next week to know for sure he won't ever get out. I want confidence that the prosecution has this tied up. GAHhhhhh!

There was a mixture on the tape that they found on her at burial site. That was the only place tho. No other positive DNA from him on her person, under her nails, on anything she was wearing, etc.

Having doubt is OK, but is it “reasonable” to connect the evidence (circumstantial and/or physical) to this defendant? In my opinion, there is little doubt, and as a juror I would vote to convict on what has been presented.

The blood, the bloody helmet, the tape and zip ties, the *advertiser censored* involving cruelty to young girls (SJ appeared younger than her actual age), socks found at barn were similar to what SJ had on when found, the disposable diapers (did it match what was found at barn? I don’t know), the tube top similar to what was at the barn— I believe?, similar rope in barn and with SJ. I imagine there is more circumstantial evidence that I am not remembering at the moment, but I do believe it is extensive and strongly indicates his guilt. And the scrapes/scratches on his body ... why there was nothing underneath her fignernails, I can’t say. It is possible they were made from the sharp corn fronds, she shoved him against something that cut him, etc. The only other person I could see with a possible connection to the barn and the crime scene would be the brother, and we have seen nothing that indicates his participation.

Defense has their work cut out to convince me differently.

I spoke with Robin tonight and she said THe Blade posted audio of her testimony. I cannot find it anywhere. Can anyone else? She said it was 'posted" at about 5:50 PM today.

IMO No. Somehow Sierah interrupted the fantasy. The sick fantasy he entertained, fed and planned for. I think she fought him Mach 90 when she could. Their was a sexual component by the evidence and the evidence of how she was dressed when found. She didn't pass on her own. She died by his own hand with the ball gag. I think she knew there was no way out and she fought to the bitter end as much as she could. He strikes me as the type of sick killer that the fantasy has to play his way or he is impotent and gets off on all the other components involved. In my mind she fought and fought hard. God Bless her.

I didn’t say she didn’t fight. In my opinion also she fought very hard and he wasn’t prepared for that kind of fight. Of course she didn’t pass on her own. This was all him. My point was her fight messed up his plan and that is why she wasn’t officially raped. Based on how she was dressed and what she endured it was a horrible sexual ordeal. IMO she died before his fantasy played out. I think she fought very hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member