GUILTY OH - Steubenville Rape Case, 11 Aug 2012 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:woohoo:

I'm conflicted about that. My initial reaction is that I agree with you. However, it was a small percentage of kids from the team who were involved in this. I'm really bothered that very few of these kids (not all of them football players) stepped forward to say anything. I'd imagine that the vast majority of players knew about this, at least second hand. (The three kids who did step forward to testify for the prosecution had to be given immunity in order to testify.)

It seems like there was/is a culture of belief that going to the police would do very little for the victim and would cause massive blowback on the reporters. So I don't know what they should really have done. The judge in the town had or still has a kid on the team and she didn't recuse herself for two weeks and then it was only because some media had latched on to the case.

It seems, from reports, that this town is rife with corruption that spreads across, just about, the entire legal system. I'd like to think I would've reported it if I knew about it. Unfortunately, the town is run by corruption and repercussions of people who report crimes (of certain people) seems to be severe.

I don't know if the fairly innocent kids should be punished for the acts of the sick :censored:

Even without charges I think the entire coaching staff should be fired and a new set brought in, at the very least. JMO

IIRC, Anonymous made some fairly serious charges involving drug dealing, a judge who thumbed her nose at Ohio law about being involved with the school board and being a judge, an assistant coach who, may have been, paying the rape crew for the deeds and pictures, and illegal gambling run by the Sheriff.

Who knows what the grand jury is going to be presented with, but I see more coming out of this. Anonymous claimed that they gathered all of their evidence legally. If that's true and they turned it all over to the FBI then there could be some serious charges and some serious jail time involved.

As far as Anonymous making it harder on the victim I disagree. IIRC, Anonymous claimed that they had contacted the family and they were grateful for the publicity they had brought to the case. Is that actually true? I don't know. I do know that I've never seen any mention that the family wanted them to stop in any articles I've read. JMO

All of those things can be taught while playing football. The majority of coaches in high schools teach morals to their teams, IMO. It's the fanbase that needs to take a look at themselves too.

All is just my opinion.

I'm really hoping that both convicted kids serve out their terms until they are 21. I also hope they have to register as sex offenders.

Another set of videos on the case discussing future charges there are more after the initial vdeo; http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...s-in-steubenville-high-school-rape-trial?lite
ITA Steely. The woman you're talking about (Hanlon, I believe her name is) wasn't a judge - she was a prosecutor. She tried to talk the victim's parents out of filing charges - that was just before she recused herself. She was also the one on the school board - and that was questioned since she was also a prosecutor. She's also the mother of one of the "main group" of football players.

I plan on paying attention to this as it moves on. But, again, I say there are a whole bunch of adults in Steubenville today that attended church because their lil hearts are going pitty-patter over what's coming next!

JMHO

I personally feel that if not for Anonymous becoming involved this would have ended much differently. I hope they continue their involvement regarding the judge and the assistant coach's involvement.

About five years ago my daughter who was 17 and her boyfriend who was 23 got in an argument. Because he was angry, he sent myself and her stepfather nude photos of her and proceeded to forward them to all his friends. We called the police. Because she was underage he was charged with child *advertiser censored*. He still had the pictures on his cell phone when he was arrested. Now I'm not saying my daughter was blameless. Apparently she either took the photo's or allowed them to be taken. But he was wrong to use them as he did. We did the only thing we could to stop their distribution by calling the police. He was sentenced to five years probation. I asked the prosecutor not to have him reported as a sex offender because of the circumstances. There were no winners in this situation.

My point in sharing that story is: What kind of world do we live in now? I'm still horrified at having nude pictures of her sent to me. I can only imagine how this poor girls parents feel. You can't unring a bell.

I'm thankful Anonymous was there to keep this from being covered up.

I will say this-the judge made several comments about the pitfalls of social media. I think that is a double edged sword-if there hadnt been so much texting, tweeting and photo sharing, I dont know what JD would have known about her rape.

These kids should not be admonished for having been so open on social media, imo. These kids should have been admonished for conspiring to destroy evidence and witness tampering but most importantly for raping a peer.

Using social media to threaten the life of a rape victim is abuse of a computer, a Federal crime. And, it appears these additional crimes are coming from real Steubenville people. Rename the town Stupidville now!

I personally feel that if not for Anonymous becoming involved this would have ended much differently. I hope they continue their involvement regarding the judge and the assistant coach's involvement.

About five years ago my daughter who was 17 and her boyfriend who was 23 got in an argument. Because he was angry, he sent myself and her stepfather nude photos of her and proceeded to forward them to all his friends. We called the police. Because she was underage he was charged with child *advertiser censored*. He still had the pictures on his cell phone when he was arrested. Now I'm not saying my daughter was blameless. Apparently she either took the photo's or allowed them to be taken. But he was wrong to use them as he did. We did the only thing we could to stop their distribution by calling the police. He was sentenced to five years probation. I asked the prosecutor not to have him reported as a sex offender because of the circumstances. There were no winners in this situation.

My point in sharing that story is: What kind of world do we live in now? I'm still horrified at having nude pictures of her sent to me. I can only imagine how this poor girls parents feel. You can't unring a bell.

I'm thankful Anonymous was there to keep this from being covered up.

BBM

You are much more forgiving person than I would be, but that's a good thing.

BREAKING: Jane Doe #Steubenville Now Receiving Threats Via Social Media *Contact Info To Report*
<Mod Snip>

The link doesn't work, but I hope she's saving all of them so those kids can be arrested for making threats, if that's illegal. Could be a first amendment type thing.

Using social media to threaten the life of a rape victim is abuse of a computer, a Federal crime. And, it appears these additional crimes are coming from real Stubenville people. Rename the town Stupidville now!

Cool, I'd love to see them rounded up and charged!!! :woohoo:

That link about the threats works for me, and in fact leads directly to Jane Doe's personal private information. If you still can, wanttohelp, you should probably remove it.

STOP POSTING THE TWEETS - DON'T QUOTE THEM AND DON'T POST THEM.

We do NOT want the victim's personal information or name on our pages. WS protects those that are victims of sexual assault.

STOP POSTING THE TWEETS - DON'T QUOTE THEM AND DON'T POST THEM.

Salem

I am so very happy to hear this verdict and that this whole thing is now blown wide open. They tried to belittle her and her parents. They tried to sweep it under the rug. They tried to threaten her and harrass her and make her out to be a *advertiser censored*. But once the full evidence was released and shown to all, there are no more questions. Photos of her naked with them behind her, semen on her body, the tweets, the laughs, etc...and then the attempted cover up.

Thank God for social media and for the fact that all of what happened that night was documented and unable to be "her word vs. their word." It is in black and white for all to see. Any other cases would have been left with a result of the boys getting off, protected by powerful family and friends.

Now let's hit the prosecutor, who tried to talk the parents out of pressing charges. The coach who said he'd "take care of it." The assistant coach who supplied the kids alcohol at his house. Anyone in a position of mandatory reporting that didn't report! The kids who took part and laughed and cheered them on (i.e. The Accused with Jodie Foster.) The parents who told their kids not to get involved and to delete all of their messages and "evidence."

These boys have no remourse. They showed absolutely NO remourse the night of the crime, the day after, the weeks and months after and throughout the process. We had to listen to Ma'llik's interview about how she was "coming onto him." Yeah right, was that while she was passed out in the middle of the street or when she was puking all over herself? I'm sure that got you really hot Ma'llik!

I guarantee you that if these boys were found not guilty, they would have had a huge party and spent the rest of their high school days doing anything possible to get even with JD. They only cry for themselves now, because they threw away everything they had. I have NO PITY!!!

I am so very happy to hear this verdict and that this whole thing is now blown wide open. They tried to belittle her and her parents. They tried to sweep it under the rug. They tried to threaten her and harrass her and make her out to be a *advertiser censored*. But once the full evidence was released and shown to all, there are no more questions. Photos of her naked with them behind her, semen on her body, the tweets, the laughs, etc...and then the attempted cover up.

Thank God for social media and for the fact that all of what happened that night was documented and unable to be "her word vs. their word." It is in black and white for all to see. Any other cases would have been left with a result of the boys getting off, protected by powerful family and friends.

Now let's hit the prosecutor, who tried to talk the parents out of pressing charges. The coach who said he'd "take care of it." The assistant coach who supplied the kids alcohol at his house. Anyone in a position of mandatory reporting that didn't report! The kids who took part and laughed and cheered them on (i.e. The Accused with Jodie Foster.) The parents who told their kids not to get involved and to delete all of their messages and "evidence."

These boys have no remourse. They showed absolutely NO remourse the night of the crime, the day after, the weeks and months after and throughout the process. We had to listen to Ma'llik's interview about how she was "coming onto him." Yeah right, was that while she was passed out in the middle of the street or when she was puking all over herself? I'm sure that got you really hot Ma'llik!

I guarantee you that if these boys were found not guilty, they would have had a huge party and spent the rest of their high school days doing anything possible to get even with JD. They only cry for themselves now, because they threw away everything they had. I have NO PITY!!!

:goodpost:

I've just got to say, I'm still so torn on hearing this case.

I had a horrible experience - probably as many mothers of sons have had - with a girl who came to a party and drank herself nearly to death with alcohol she brought and a couple of my son's friends now have criminal records for minor in possession of alcohol (her alcohol, actually). She stripped herself naked and got in the hot tub and they rescued her from the hot tub, dressed her, and took her home to her mother. She had to be treated in the ER because she was so wasted. She herself feels awful about this - but she wasn't charged with anything. My own son, who hadn't had ANYTHING to drink and did nothing wrong whatsoever and helped this girl get home safely had to go to the ER and pay $500 (that's 5 hundred dollars) for a blood test that would show he had zero alcohol blood level. He was completely cleared, but a couple of the other boys who had a couple beers at the party where she nearly drank herself to death now have convictions.

It's not all black and white. I have the utmost respect and admiration for these boys in my experience who took care of this girl, in this local case, didn't touch her except to dress her and carry her home, but I am angry at a legal system that didn't charge her but charged the boys.

That's what I'm dealing with, when I read this story about this girl. I'm so grateful that my son and his friends were unbelievably respectful (really!) and I pine for the boys in this case who were less in control of themselves. Girls who have a long history of drinking to the point of blacking out are dangerous to their friends.

I've just got to say, I'm still so torn on hearing this case.

I had a horrible experience - probably as many mothers of sons have had - with a girl who came to a party and drank herself nearly to death with alcohol she brought and a couple of my son's friends now have criminal records for minor in possession of alcohol (her alcohol, actually). She stripped herself naked and got in the hot tub and they rescued her from the hot tub, dressed her, and took her home to her mother. She had to be treated in the ER because she was so wasted. She herself feels awful about this - but she wasn't charged with anything. My own son, who hadn't had ANYTHING to drink and did nothing wrong whatsoever and helped this girl get home safely had to go to the ER and pay $500 (that's 5 hundred dollars) for a blood test that would show he had zero alcohol blood level. He was completely cleared, but a couple of the other boys who had a couple beers at the party where she nearly drank herself to death now have convictions.

It's not all black and white. I have the utmost respect and admiration for these boys in my experience who took care of this girl, in this local case, didn't touch her except to dress her and carry her home, but I am angry at a legal system that didn't charge her but charged the boys.

That's what I'm dealing with, when I read this story about this girl. I'm so grateful that my son and his friends were unbelievably respectful (really!) and I pine for the boys in this case who were less in control of themselves. Girls who have a long history of drinking to the point of blacking out are dangerous to their friends.

It doesn't get any more black and white that this case imo. No one did a thing to help the girl, they were on record saying she was raped, laughing about it, dehumanizing her. Unbelievable cruelty. Some things are not black and white but I can't find any grey area here, especially considering the attitudes of the people involved.

Well, in my opinion, it does get more black and white than this case. Men who grab women off the street while they are jogging or walking dogs, and assault them while they scream and struggle are certainly, clearly, black and white. That's felony assault, and the men are felons.

This case IMHO is NOT black and white. If you only have knowledge of this young woman this one night, it could seem black and white. If you have knowledge of a general history, it might seem more grey.

Well, in my opinion, it does get more black and white than this case. Men who grab women off the street while they are jogging or walking dogs, and assault them while they scream and struggle are certainly, clearly, black and white. That's felony assault, and the men are felons.

This case IMHO is NOT black and white. If you only have knowledge of this young woman this one night, it could seem black and white. If you have knowledge of a general history, it might seem more grey.

What kind of history would justify what the guys did to her?

I think I should probably not continue to participate in this thread, because I don't want to be banned or censured here.

Good night.

She was too drunk to have consensual sex. Even a prostitute has the right to say no. Previous history or prior acts don't justify this happening. :twocents:

She was too drunk to have consensual sex. Even a prostitute has the right to say no. Previous history or prior acts don't justify this happening. :twocents:

And this is the bottom line. It doesn't matter if she had sex with the whole football team AS LONG AS SHE CONSENTED, KNOWINGLY. What matters is that these boys forced themselves upon her - without her knowledge or consent. That's rape.

Salem

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briankap
Back