OH OH - "The Red Shoe Mystery" - Lola Celli, 24, Grandview Heights, Feb 1946

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Going with my feeling that she knew her abductor, we would need to know more about the people around her (her friends, co-workers, neighbors, school friends, priest, etc.), which I don't think would be an easy task since so much time has passed. Maybe in the case file it would have a listing of everyone interviewed....As for the man on the motorcycle who said he thought he saw her arguing with a male in a car and a red shoe flew out the window of said car, do we know if the motorcycle was traveling along side the car, parked on the road watching the car, travelling behind the car, etc.? If the motorcycle was travelling along with the car, the witness could have easily been off on his description as to the spot where the shoe flew out the window. And if the shoe flew out the window into a bushy, grassy spot along the road, and they did not have the correct area, it would be plausible that the shoe was never found. Searching for a body in heavy underbrush is tricky - never mind one small shoe...
Just some thoughts,
Creole

A couple of years ago I had an opportunity to look at Lola's case file. From what I could tell, LE talked to everyone in the neighborhood, Lola's friends and acquaintances, literally hundreds of people.

I think Lola got into a car with someone she knew, someone who after her disappearance seemed completely above suspicion. I have no idea who that person might be. I located her high school yearbook, jotted down the names of males she went to school with, as well as male teachers, and searched those names to see if any of them had later been arrested for sexual assault, kidnapping, etc., to no avail.

As for the red shoe, I think that was nothing more than a coincidence.

As for the red shoe, I think that was nothing more than a coincidence.

It may be just a coincidence, but that Red Shoe has given this case a very memorable catch phrase title which helps it stand out from so many other mysterious disappearances.

It may be just a coincidence, but that Red Shoe has given this case a very memorable catch phrase title which helps it stand out from so many other mysterious disappearances.

You are absolutely right about that - coincidence or not, the Red Shoe Mystery has kept Lola's disappearance in the spotlight all these years later.

I don't believe that Lola disappeared as a result of a random abduction. I think that she was taken by someone that she knew VERY well. A relative, a friend of her brother's, a member of her church's clergy...Someone that she had NO DOUBT about that was driving by while she walked to the bus stop or was waiting there. I think that this individual probably counseled her family after Lola went missing and might still be in contact with them (if he's still alive). I think she was killed shortly after her abduction and is likely to have been buried/disposed of very close to her own home.

jmo

Not sure if this link was posted previously, but found it interesting...

http://www.vastogirardiefriends.it/VERSIONE INGLESE/Storie-Lola Celli 2.htm

Creole

I found the Italian version of the article here. I'm trying to find other mentions of her in Italian, as that may bring up something new but no luck so far.

I'm new to this case but Marylinilpa, did you ever find out who that witness was? Do you think there was anything suspicious about him? Also, I had an idea that I will try to research but help is always welcome. What if it was a co-worker? I found no mention of coworkers being investigated. I mean: a coworker obsessed with her could have found out through casual conversation where her parents lived and that she visited them on weekends. Then he/she made an effort to casually find her and offered her a ride. She accepts because it's someone she knows and trusts.

As to the fight with the red shoe, if she was with someone she knew she could have figured out that that person had no excuse to be in the area (in the case of a coworker, going all the way to Cleveland would require something like paperwork or family), is heading the wrong way or sounding threatening, so an altercation ensues. Perhaps even the red shoe was a way of leaving some kind of track because it's something so noticeable. The witness could have gotten the location wrong or someone (even kids playing on the street) could have taken it away.

I obviously meant Columbus, not Cleveland, sorry. The link that I forgot to link is here: http://www.vastogirardiefriends.it/Storie - Lola Celli.htm .

For a map of the rough distance between Logan County and Grandview Heights, click here.

And here's Logan County according to Google.

Going from GH to LC would take at least one hour nowadays (my source for this is Google Maps so I may be wrong!) and probably longer in the 40s. However, if people just thought she was late and took a couple of works to report her missing the abducter would have a lot of time to get away and probably lots of country roads to take.

I'm sorry if it's too early to make a new post but here goes.

I've been doing some (light, admittedly) research into this... and I have the following questions.

- Was Logan County ever searched?

- Does anyone know what Lola Celli taught and where? All I've found is that she taught home economy at West Mansfield High School but I don't know if this is accurate (keep reading, I'll explain).

I did some Googling on West Mansfield High School and from what I gather that's an old name for the current Mansfield High School, also the building was changed a few times. Can anyone with knowledge from the area confirm if they are the same school?

I looked up old yearbooks, which was tough because it took me a while to figure out what I said above. The ones I found are categorized under Mansfield High School, probably because that's its current name. I don't know how yearbooks work. Would Lola's disappearance be mentioned or would it be considered disrespectful to include that? I guess not because some yearbooks seem to have stuff in memory of deceased teachers but can anyone confirm. Also, when is a yearbook published? I have always thought it would be at the end of the school year but could it be earlier?

The 1946 yearbook does not mention Lola as a teacher or her disappearance and neither does the 1947 one. This makes me think I'm looking at the wrong school. If anyone knows when she started working there that would be helpful too because she's not in the 1945 yearbook but that could be her first year at the school.

I found the Italian version of the article here. I'm trying to find other mentions of her in Italian, as that may bring up something new but no luck so far.

I'm new to this case but Marylinilpa, did you ever find out who that witness was? Do you think there was anything suspicious about him? Also, I had an idea that I will try to research but help is always welcome. What if it was a co-worker? I found no mention of coworkers being investigated. I mean: a coworker obsessed with her could have found out through casual conversation where her parents lived and that she visited them on weekends. Then he/she made an effort to casually find her and offered her a ride. She accepts because it's someone she knows and trusts.

As to the fight with the red shoe, if she was with someone she knew she could have figured out that that person had no excuse to be in the area (in the case of a coworker, going all the way to Cleveland would require something like paperwork or family), is heading the wrong way or sounding threatening, so an altercation ensues. Perhaps even the red shoe was a way of leaving some kind of track because it's something so noticeable. The witness could have gotten the location wrong or someone (even kids playing on the street) could have taken it away.

I don't believe co-workers were questioned extensively, they were just asked general questions about Lola. She was a new teacher and wasn't all that well known to her colleagues.

The witness was questioned once, briefly, and then again in more depth. He apparently didn't recall anything more than what he initially told police. Believe it or not, there was very little info about him in the police files. I have his name written down somewhere, but my research files on Lola are boxed up in storage. Perhaps this weekend I can go by and rummage through them to see if I can locate his name.

I have mixed feelings about the red shoe. Maybe it was left behind on purpose by Lola, or maybe it had no connection at all to Lola. There is just not enough info to go on about that.

Lola was a deeply religious Catholic girl from a tight-knit family. She and her brother, though not the same age, were as close as twins by all accounts. I recall that Catholic churches throughout the area were visited to see if Lola had decided to become a nun.

From all accounts, she wasn't dating anyone, and I don't believe there was an angry ex-boyfriend in her past.

I think Lola accepted a ride from an old high-school friend, a neighbor she knew, a trusted authority figure (from school, church?), or a family friend. I definitely do not believe she would take a ride from a stranger, or from someone she didn't know well. Your idea of Lola accepting a ride from a co-worker is intriguing.

I have tried, and failed, to find out how Lola arrived in Columbus for her visit. She may have come by bus, or she might have gotten a ride from a co-worker. I spoke to her aging sister a couple of years ago, and she could not recall anything about that.

I have the name of the school Lola worked for, also in storage, so I'll look for that info too. Sorry I can't remember off the top of my head.

Thanks for your terrific questions!

I'm sorry if it's too early to make a new post but here goes.

I've been doing some (light, admittedly) research into this... and I have the following questions.

- Was Logan County ever searched?

- Does anyone know what Lola Celli taught and where? All I've found is that she taught home economy at West Mansfield High School but I don't know if this is accurate (keep reading, I'll explain).

I did some Googling on West Mansfield High School and from what I gather that's an old name for the current Mansfield High School, also the building was changed a few times. Can anyone with knowledge from the area confirm if they are the same school?

I looked up old yearbooks, which was tough because it took me a while to figure out what I said above. The ones I found are categorized under Mansfield High School, probably because that's its current name. I don't know how yearbooks work. Would Lola's disappearance be mentioned or would it be considered disrespectful to include that? I guess not because some yearbooks seem to have stuff in memory of deceased teachers but can anyone confirm. Also, when is a yearbook published? I have always thought it would be at the end of the school year but could it be earlier?

The 1946 yearbook does not mention Lola as a teacher or her disappearance and neither does the 1947 one. This makes me think I'm looking at the wrong school. If anyone knows when she started working there that would be helpful too because she's not in the 1945 yearbook but that could be her first year at the school.

I do have the information about her school, and I'll get it for you this weekend.

As for Logan County, I can't recall if any searches were conducted there. I know there were extensive searches of the Columbus area that went on for days. Let me see what I can find about that.

Please feel free to ask all the questions you have. If I don't know the answer off hand, I'll look for it this weekend.

First of all, thank you so much for your replies :) They're really helpful. If she hadn't worked there for long that would explain why she's not in the 1945 yearbook (if I'm looking at the right school at all).

It was reading that she wouldn't get into the car with someone she didn't know that made me think of co-workers. People who lived in the neighborhood, family friends, etc. seem plausible too, but IMO someone from Logan County would have an easier time taking her away without a trace. I've considered students too, maybe a disgruntled student or a student who was obsessed with her, but she doesn't sound like she'd get into a car with a student when people in those days were so strict about things like that.

If the school she taught at is confirmed I can start trying to look up records on her co-workers but I doubt there will be anything of interest. The most likely scenario IMO is that whoever took her (co-worker or not) was someone who put up a serious front in social situations, enough that she'd trust them.:twocents:

First of all, thank you so much for your replies :) They're really helpful. If she hadn't worked there for long that would explain why she's not in the 1945 yearbook (if I'm looking at the right school at all).

It was reading that she wouldn't get into the car with someone she didn't know that made me think of co-workers. People who lived in the neighborhood, family friends, etc. seem plausible too, but IMO someone from Logan County would have an easier time taking her away without a trace. I've considered students too, maybe a disgruntled student or a student who was obsessed with her, but she doesn't sound like she'd get into a car with a student when people in those days were so strict about things like that.

If the school she taught at is confirmed I can start trying to look up records on her co-workers but I doubt there will be anything of interest. The most likely scenario IMO is that whoever took her (co-worker or not) was someone who put up a serious front in social situations, enough that she'd trust them.:twocents:

Lola was just in her first year of teaching.

I'll look up the info about her school for your.

I have tried, and failed, to find out how Lola arrived in Columbus for her visit. She may have come by bus, or she might have gotten a ride from a co-worker. I spoke to her aging sister a couple of years ago, and she could not recall anything about that.

Another possibility is that she may come by train. Union Station was in existence in Downtown Columbus as it was a passenger train station back then.

I don't know if you've seen this or not, but it offers info about Lola's family, and includes a photo of the West Mansfield High School.

http://www.vastogirardiefriends.it/VERSIONE INGLESE/Storie-Lola Celli 2.htm

Thanks! :) I did, I actually even quoted an older post with that link and linked to the Italian version in case anyone was interested.

By the way, I just found Lola's senior yearbook! Not quite what I was looking for but I thought it was interested. I don't know if anyone else has seen it yet but if not I can post the pictures here if anyone is interested.

Thanks! :) I did, I actually even quoted an older post with that link and linked to the Italian version in case anyone was interested.

By the way, I just found Lola's senior yearbook! Not quite what I was looking for but I thought it was interested. I don't know if anyone else has seen it yet but if not I can post the pictures here if anyone is interested.

I've seen the yearbook but haven't ever posted anything from it. Please post the pictures, I'm sure everyone would be interested!

Sorry I didn't see that you had already posted that info about Lola. I need to read all the posts before I do anything!:blushing:

I got these from photohio. If anything is against the rules please let me know. There were only 3 yearbooks from this time available, 1941, 1940, 1938, and 1937. There does not seem to be any mention of her in 1938 but her brother Felix is in the scholarship picture that year.

From the 1941 yearbook, when Lola was a senior:

yearbook.jpg

That's her and her brother Felice (Felix).

From the 1940 yearbook:

yearbook5.png

She is the third from the left-hand side, I believe (next to the girl with the Tartan dress). It's taken from the "classes" section and the caption seems to be "costumers".

I think she's the fourth girl in the picture with the blue mark on the corner (mark mine), holding an arrow and next to the girl with the rackets.

This one was tricky because the caption wasn't very clear but if I am not mistaken, she's in the picture with the blue mark on the corner (bottom right), with the G on her shirt.

yearbook8.jpg

She was in the scholarship team, she is the one in the middle of the front row, with the white blouse.

I matched her with the pictures from a section in the back of the yearbooks where all-picture pages are captioned.

I have also uploaded some other pictures, mostly of pages that don't have photos but which talk about clubs and similar. The blue lines were drawn by me to make it easier to find the relevant info.

1941:

This seems to be taken from a joke page written in the style of a future newspaper.

Some results from the archery team that year.

A club she was in, I don't know what it is.

1937:

She was on the first semester honor roll.

Here's a link to a news article that appeared in the Weekly Moment In Time Column in the Grandview ThisWeek Newspaper in 2011. The article noted that it was the 65th anniversary of ther disappearance of Lola Celli.

http://www.ghmchs.org/thisweek/photo-listing15.htm#lola

The above article also has a link to a Grandview Heights Marble Cliff Historical Society newsletter that was published in October 2008. Page 2 of that newsletter has some details about the disappearance of Lola Celli.

Does anyone know if her parents' house is still standing?

Yes, her parent's house is still standing. I found a picture of the house that was taken a few years ago. The Celli Family doesn't own that house anymore.

Attachments

• Lola Celli Home.jpg
    Lola Celli Home.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 68

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members