Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I spoke about growing up in a cult on a podcast called Made Us if you have interest in the experience or the Way Ministry specifically.

Snipped by me

I would like to hear more about your experience, would you be ok with posting the episode number or date?

I am very sorry you grew up with those challenges, and that you had to separate from your family to get healthy. I admire your choice to find your own path, that takes a lot of bravery and strength!

Thank you for the kind words. It is episode 33 from July 4 2019. ‎Made Us: 033: Kelly DZ | Coercive Control And Life Within on Apple Podcasts
Oh my gosh, that was an EXCELLENT podcast! You shared your story so honestly yet without a hint of bitterness. I cannot wait for your Relatively Unscathed podcast, I searched for it but don't see it yet. I put a note in my calendar to check for it later this year.

Just in case anyone missed the initial post, Kelly was interviewed for the Made Us podcast about growing up in "The Way" cult. It really is worth listening to. (And superficially, you have a GREAT voice, soothing but not boring. Perfect for a podcast host!)

‎Made Us: 033: Kelly DZ | Coercive Control And Life Within on Apple Podcasts

I found an article from last February,, but I can't seem to share the link. As many of you probably already know, they have sent a rootless hair strand for processing. I am wondering if they have made any progress on this. Dr. Ed Green, paleogeneticist, is supposedly working on this.

Last edited:
I found an article from last February,, but I can't seem to share the link. As many of you probably already know, they have sent a rootless hair strand for processing. I am wondering if they have made any progress on this. Dr. Ed Green, paleogeneticist, is supposedly working on this.
New technology being used in ‘Buckskin Girl’ case - Miami Valley Today
Feb 2020 rbbm.
''The hair evidence from the Marcia King case has met standards for submission to Dr. Ed Green, a paleo-geneticist from the University of California’s company, and investigators are awaiting the results.

“We have always reviewed evidence as new technologies emerged. The latest technology, which allows the nuclear DNA profile to be obtained from a hair with no root, has only recently come about,” Duchak said. “Upon our learning of it, we immediately contacted Dr. Green, and he agreed to test our hair evidence.”

Duchak said some results already have been received, however, since it is an active investigation, he cannot share details.

“We already have some of the results, which are very promising,” Duchak said. “We would hope that any DNA profile obtained will be the killer, however it could also be from someone she had been in contact with. If it is not the killer, we may be able to gain more information from someone who had been in contact with her.”

New technology being used in ‘Buckskin Girl’ case - Miami Valley Today
Feb 2020 rbbm.
''The hair evidence from the Marcia King case has met standards for submission to Dr. Ed Green, a paleo-geneticist from the University of California’s company, and investigators are awaiting the results.

“We have always reviewed evidence as new technologies emerged. The latest technology, which allows the nuclear DNA profile to be obtained from a hair with no root, has only recently come about,” Duchak said. “Upon our learning of it, we immediately contacted Dr. Green, and he agreed to test our hair evidence.”

Duchak said some results already have been received, however, since it is an active investigation, he cannot share details.

“We already have some of the results, which are very promising,” Duchak said. “We would hope that any DNA profile obtained will be the killer, however it could also be from someone she had been in contact with. If it is not the killer, we may be able to gain more information from someone who had been in contact with her.”
Thank you!

I found another article about Dr. Ed Green, from the NY Times, entitled, "Why This Scientist Keeps Receiving Packages of Serial Killers' Hair" but I can't seem to link that either,lol. You have to subscribe to read the article.

This makes me wonder, if LE believes that Marcia's killer may have been a serial killer.

I found another article about Dr. Ed Green, from the NY Times, entitled, "Why This Scientist Keeps Receiving Packages of Serial Killers' Hair" but I can't seem to link that either,lol. You have to subscribe to read the article.

This makes me wonder, if LE believes that Marcia's killer may have been a serial killer.
Lengthy article..
Why This Scientist Keeps Receiving Packages of Serial Killers’ Hair (Published 2019)
''Those fortunate enough to have a head of hair generally leave 50 to 100 strands behind on any given day. Those hairs are hardy, capable of withstanding years or even centuries of rain, heat and wind.

The trouble for detectives, or anyone else seeking to figure out whom a strand of hair belonged to, is that unless it contains a root, which only a tiny percentage do, it’s about as helpful as a nearby rock.''

''Until now. Ed Green, a paleogeneticist at the University of California, Santa Cruz known in the scientific community for his work on the Neanderthal genome, has developed a technique that makes it possible to recover and sequence DNA from hair without the root.

And over the past 18 months, he has been quietly cooperating with several law enforcement agencies, using this method to extract genetic profiles from the hairs of killers and victims in long unsolved crimes.

“It was kind of written in stone that you can’t do it, and now he’s doing it,” said Deputy Pete Headley of the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department in California, who was involved in a case in New Hampshire that Dr. Green’s technique helped crack''.

“Criminals think of wearing gloves or wiping down blood,” he said, “but fewer think to shave their head.”

''Though he’s already begun directing some clients to Dr. Green, Mr. Loe, whose company often works with law enforcement, cautioned that as the technique becomes more widely known, it will create new possibilities for surveillance operatives. It would make real a sci-fi future in which evading detection requires carefully sweeping up hair from a room.''

Quote from article published in July 2020:

Buckskin Girl Marcia King's killer still at large after 1981 slaying

The sheriff’s office in recent months has submitted all hair samples – even ones without root bulbs, which used to be required – into the federal Combined DNA Index System, or CODIS.

"We were successful with the evidence processing and are working with the data," Chief Deputy Steve Lord told me in an email. "Since the process is new, there have been some technical issues, but we're working through them. Marcia's case remains active."

Simple answer is no but rather that they go to him as he, now well known Dr Ed Green is the one who invented this breakthrough technology of obtaining DNA from rootless hair. For those who are not aware he was also the one they called for in Allenstown/Bear Brook case and he has used this technology there as well to obtain DNA from rootless hair and identify 3 of four victims in the barrels as original DNA collected from the bodies was too degraded.

DNA detectives are using new tools to solve decades-old cold cases

The project's breakthrough case was known as “Buckskin Girl”, a woman found murdered in Miami County, Ohio in 1981. The team uploaded her DNA to GEDmatch in March 2018 and within four hours, they knew her identity. At a press conference, she was confirmed as Marcia King, a 21-year-old born in Little Rock, Arkansas.

I found two new photos of Marcia on Ancestry today. I can't figure out which one is Marcia, but it is a band photo. The other one of her was taken when she was around 9 years old probably. Here:
View attachment 280888
I remember reading a comment on a YT video on Marcia, following her identification.

The user said that when they were on school, Marcia played the flute and wasn’t very good at it, but that she always did her best.

Marcia was found 40 years ago, on April 1981, here is a retouched version of her photograph.

Hopefully her killer is identified and brought to justice, so her family can have closure on her case.

Attachments

• 77E2A591-C312-434C-8171-A8C8EC2C9516.jpeg
    77E2A591-C312-434C-8171-A8C8EC2C9516.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 44

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members