Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait to see the info on Buckskin Girl's ethnic background!

Ditto, here! I keep checking on the Dna Doe Project Fb page to see if they have results in. I am a little confused about how it works, though..Besides finding ethnicity background, what else can they find out? Could they possibly find out what area of the country she or her ancestors came from?

I have a feeling that she could have quite a bit of Irish/Scottish ethnicity, perhaps German..but who knows..It will be interesting to find out.

Ditto, here! I keep checking on the Dna Doe Project Fb page to see if they have results in. I am a little confused about how it works, though..Besides finding ethnicity background, what else can they find out? Could they possibly find out what area of the country she or her ancestors came from?

I have a feeling that she could have quite a bit of Irish/Scottish ethnicity, perhaps German..but who knows..It will be interesting to find out.

It's gonna give her ethnicity and any relatives that are already in GEDmatch

For anyone that hasn't seen, Lyles DNA was uploaded yesterday. BG should be right behind him.

That's what I was thinking – especially if the maker could be identified. It's a very distinctive garment, even though both fringe and suede/buckskin were very popular fashion statements at the time, and comparatively few would have been hand-sewn with such recognizable detail. The maker may even have had a list of customers who ordered/purchased their handmade products, although the passage of 40-50 years makes it iffy that they'd still be in business or that such records would survive. But stranger things have happened, and this could be a very helpful lead.

They were popular back then, was probably multiple!e people making them. BG's is lined. I highly doubt they tracked who bought them. I used to make and sell small fringed leather bags, can't recall who I sold to

They were popular back then, was probably multiple!e people making them. BG's is lined. I highly doubt they tracked who bought them. I used to make and sell small fringed leather bags, can't recall who I sold to

I travelled the mountain west and the southwest with a few hippy types tho most of us did not call ourselves that. In the early 1970s. But everywhere there were shops that catered to so called hippies that sold handmade leather everything of excellent craftsmanship and quality. Leather craft was hugely popular and fringed was also very popular. So many people had leather jackets, vests, purses, hat's, you name it! It would be very hard to pinpoint where it came from unless the individual in possession of the item knows personally it's origin and history. The popularity of this type of clothing carried over for many years. You can still find shops like that in artisan type shops all over. There is a village (Yellow Springs OH) not too far from where she was found that was and still is well known for those types. They have a street fair every year still where all the local artisans bring their goods out into a blocked off area. It draws people from all around the area. It was also well known back in that day and you could have found that type of garment there as well as many places in the country.
I think the DNA results will be the most exciting news and best chance to identify her. Can't wait to see it!

Today's DNA Doe Project preliminary update on Buckskin Girl (in the comments):

"About Buckskin Girl - we just got this in from the bioinformatics team:

I've finished downloading [Buckskin Girl's] raw read data...should be ready by middle of next week. It seems more fragmented (shorter DNA fragments), but I guess that is to be expected since...it is an older sample from early 1980s. As long as it doesn't have high coverage variation...I think it will still be a pretty decent quality dataset.

After they give us the data, we will upload it to Gedmatch and be able to run diagostics on it. We will let you all know what we find out."

So basically, Buckskin Girl's DNA is not in as good condition as Lyle's but should still be fine. We will hopefully know her ethnic breakdown late next week :)

Today's DNA Doe Project preliminary update on Buckskin Girl (in the comments):

"About Buckskin Girl - we just got this in from the bioinformatics team:

I've finished downloading [Buckskin Girl's] raw read data...should be ready by middle of next week. It seems more fragmented (shorter DNA fragments), but I guess that is to be expected since...it is an older sample from early 1980s. As long as it doesn't have high coverage variation...I think it will still be a pretty decent quality dataset.

After they give us the data, we will upload it to Gedmatch and be able to run diagostics on it. We will let you all know what we find out."

So excited about the possibility that Buckskin and others might be identified through this dna initiative, thanks for everything!

So excited about the possibility that Buckskin and others might be identified through this dna initiative, thanks for everything!

To clarify, I am not in any way affiliated with DNA Doe Project, I'm just a huge advocate and post their updates (in case there is any misunderstanding). But I agree, they are amazing!

I travelled the mountain west and the southwest with a few hippy types tho most of us did not call ourselves that. In the early 1970s. But everywhere there were shops that catered to so called hippies that sold handmade leather everything of excellent craftsmanship and quality. Leather craft was hugely popular and fringed was also very popular. So many people had leather jackets, vests, purses, hat's, you name it! It would be very hard to pinpoint where it came from unless the individual in possession of the item knows personally it's origin and history. The popularity of this type of clothing carried over for many years. You can still find shops like that in artisan type shops all over. There is a village (Yellow Springs OH) not too far from where she was found that was and still is well known for those types. They have a street fair every year still where all the local artisans bring their goods out into a blocked off area. It draws people from all around the area. It was also well known back in that day and you could have found that type of garment there as well as many places in the country.
I think the DNA results will be the most exciting news and best chance to identify her. Can't wait to see it!

I posted pics from old bike runs a long time ago showing the hand made leather. The only person that will recognize her jacket is the person that put the purple lining in it.

Today from DNA Doe FB page (snipped):
-- finished downloading [Buckskin Girl's] raw read data should be ready by middle of next week. It seems more fragmented (shorter DNA fragments), but I guess that is to be expected since it is an older sample from early 1980s. As long as it doesn't have high coverage variation ... I think it will still be a pretty decent quality dataset.

What is high coverage variation? Any DNA experts want to weigh in? :)

I'm so excited about this and I just hope her DNA doesn't have high coverage variation!

A quick google search doesn’t fully answer but I guess high coverage would mean the DNA sequence matches more people and not unique to her?
I don’t really have just one thing to link.

I don’t think I’m explain it right.

Help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked DNA Doe Project what 'High coverage variation means' and this is their explanation, using another one of their cases as an example:

Chandler's DNA was from paraffin-embedded tissue (a biopsy kept at a local hospital.) This caused very uneven degradation of the DNA. Many of his chromosomes were missing entirely. The rest was in small groups with big gaps in between. Hence - a variation in the coverage, or distribution of the SNPs (locations) we needed. And that variation was high.

I asked DNA Doe Project what 'High coverage variation means' and this is their explanation, using another one of their cases as an example:

Chandler's DNA was from paraffin-embedded tissue (a biopsy kept at a local hospital.) This caused very uneven degradation of the DNA. Many of his chromosomes were missing entirely. The rest was in small groups with big gaps in between. Hence - a variation in the coverage, or distribution of the SNPs (locations) we needed. And that variation was high.

That's interesting. The soft tissue samples from the Isdal Woman found in 2016 had also been stored in paraffin blocks but degradation of the DNA was not, AFAIK, mentioned as an issue.

That's interesting. The soft tissue samples from the Isdal Woman found in 2016 had also been stored in paraffin blocks but degradation of the DNA was not, AFAIK, mentioned as an issue.

I wonder if the age of the remains might have had something to do with it? DNA Doe Project folks had mentioned the age BG's remains had something to do with the quality of the sample versus Lyle's (I'm paraphrasing here). Just to clarify, I'm not referring to the chronological ages of the person but when they were discovered.

I wonder if the age of the remains might have had something to do with it? DNA Doe Project folks had mentioned the age BG's remains had something to do with the quality of the sample versus Lyle's (I'm paraphrasing here). Just to clarify, I'm not referring to the chronological ages of the person but when they were discovered.

Yep, DDP has mentioned that age, condition of remains, location of remains, & how long after death they are found all affect how good the DNA sample will be. Lyle's DNA is probably going to be the best condition they'll see from almost any Doe.

Possible. The Isdal Woman case dates from late 1970, so older than the other cases we're talking about. Also her body had been burned and had been lying in the open for a day or two after her death, so the samples taken from her should in theory be the poorest quality of the three cases.

DNA Doe Project FB page:
"Update on Buckskin Girl!

We are hoping to get the actual data files to upload to GEDMatch sometime next week. Meanwhile, the lab has told us that Buckskin Girl’s mitochondrial haplogroup is H5g. One current theory is that haplogroup H5 may have formed (by a single mutation in one woman) around 11,500 years ago, perhaps in the Western Caucasus. H5g descended from H5 – i.e. an additional mutation many generations later defined this subgroup. This will not be too helpful in telling us who Buckskin Girl was, or where she came from. But it can be a useful clue when looking at her matches. If a match has a different haplogroup, the match and Buckskin Girl could not be related along their matrilineal lines.
Feel free to google mtdna H5g for more information. (For those of you who are interested in mtdna haplogroups we can provide additional downstream mutations for her.)
Overall her DNA quality is still looking hopeful. The lab has not detected any contamination (a problem that impacted a couple of our earlier cases.) When we get her files and upload them to GEDMatch we’ll know how much of her DNA we actually obtained."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor