Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an observation from going through yearbooks from all of the I-75 and I-70 Counties in Ohio, the Indian theme was not all that uncommon throughout the state.

There are plenty of schools in Ohio that have Indian themes for their school name. Some schools call their teams Braves, Chiefs, Indians, Redskins, Warriors, and so forth.

Many years ago, Ohio was Indian Territory when settlers first arrived in Ohio.

The area where Buckskin Girl was found isn't far from the Miami River and that same area was once inhabited by a Native American tribe called the Miami. Areas in Western Ohio along the Miami River are called the Miami Valley.

http://www.native-languages.org/ohio.htm

Miami people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shawnee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pekowi

Category:Native American tribes in Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another note of interest. Greenville, Ohio isn't far from where Buckskin Girl was found. Greenville is where the Treaty of Greenville was signed that ended the war between Indians and settlers in Ohio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Greenville

Another possibility to consider is that Buckskin Girl could be a Native American from an Indian tribe or reservation who came from another state.

New website!
http://www.canadasmissing.ca/index-eng.htm
"The National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains (NCMPUR) of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) is Canada’s national centre that assists law enforcement, medical examiners and chief coroners with missing persons and unidentified remains investigations across the country. The NCMPUR incorporates the existing National Missing Children Operations (NMCO). Read more

Case Profiles

Current cases listed on this website represent a sampling of missing persons and unidentified remains investigations in Canada as submitted by the investigating police agency, coroners and medical examiners. The primary investigator, coroner or medical examiner determines which cases can be displayed on the website. "

Anybody see this girl..just added on Charley Project? After the re-do of CarlK's pics above...I'm floored at how much she looks like the recon. And her height is just about right, too.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/smith_laurie.html

There's been a pretty detailed discussion of the circumstances of Allison's case in the 1970's MBNF forum, and her then-boyfriend has joined in on the discussion.

AZ AZ - Laurie Allison Smith, 22, Tucson, 08-Feb-1977

Here's a more recent photo - her senior portrait from the 1972 Las Cruces High School yearbook. The 1972 book wasn't in classmates, so I called the school library and asked the librarian to scan it from the book and e-mail it to me.

3665e397-3ea6-4a42-9ee2-5c195c86cb17.jpg
8286026d-0111-44a0-a417-f17eb8c693f3.jpg

I am certain that she is not BG. She has a much stronger chin and jawline than BG, her complexion is not freckly, and her nose isn't as pointy. Also, her bf said that she had a butterfly tattoo on the back of her shoulder (he couldn't remember which shoulder).

Sadly, all indications point to her being murdered in Arizona, either by her landlord, or by drug purchasers.

I thought about Buckskin Girl the other day and her braids when I myself made my hair into braids (something I have taken up to prevent my daugther from pulling my hair all the time). I agree with previous posters that braids might not be her normal hairstyle and is perhaps indicative of her travelling/hitchhiking. I really got this sense that the person I saw in the mirror was not me but Buckskin Girl although I do not look much like her (stocky built and brownish hair is the only likeness really) and it was like she was sending me a message to all of us to keep trying to find her. She was the reason I found this forum at all, finding her profile on Doe made me google her and I found among others this tread which made me hooked to this forum.

She really feels like she could be identified, she has really distinct features and it is weird that they have not found her family. I keep thinking that she might be a foreigner, perhaps German, there is something about her built that make me think so but she could be from practically any country in northern or eastern Europe as well as the US and Canada and many other places. I just wish that LE one day will get to call her family and tell them that their relative is found but unfortunately dead.

Such observations might be taken into consideration. However, while some may wear costumes for school events or local activities, I tend to think chances are BG was attired as she usually dressed.

I would tend to agree. I would think that if BG was last seen at a Halloween party, Thanksgiving reenactment or the like, there would have been some noise like "girl dressed as Indian squaw" disappeared.

then again, since this was thirty plus years ago, if BG was 19 y.o., even if she was dressed like that for an event, the local cops could have told her parents that unless they had evidence of a crime, they were not going to waste their time with a MP report as she was an adult and free to go about her business.

Charley Project does have a woman listed who was last seen at a Halloween party wearing a Native American costume, though she went missing years after BG was found:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/safranski_veronica.html

Also, the photos Carl found for this MP were taken 14 years before she disappeared, but she did go missing shortly before BG was found and some of her statistics are close. I think the MP's chin is too strong to match BG's, any thoughts?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/ciaccio_anna.html

Also, the photos Carl found for this MP were taken 14 years before she disappeared, but she did go missing shortly before BG was found and some of her statistics are close. I think the MP's chin is too strong to match BG's, any thoughts?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/ciaccio_anna.html

I agree about the jawline, and IMO, you can't reconcile Anna's broad concave nose with BG's narrow pointy nose with the dorsal lump

Okay, let's throw something else to the wall and see if it sticks, lol.

This thread has some interesting info in the attached links about other cases that are mostly not on our radar because the women have been identified. These were possible suspected victims of Goble some of them, however if he was 29 in 1995 he would have been quite young to have been involved with BG. So I'm more posting it to see the other cases some of which might be similar:

NC NC - Oh, tn long haul trucker 1995 conviction - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

There's also this thread, fwiw:

OH - "Dr. No" - Truck Stop Serial Killer - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

On a similar note, I found this memorial in the 1980 Lawrence North (Indianapolis) HS yearbook that I was searching through when looking for BG.

TaraMeredith-LawrenceNorthHS1980yearbook.jpg

They are referring to September 24, 1979. This was right along the I-70 corridor, and happened only a year and a half before BG was killed, and right in the same timeframe as the other murders. I wonder what the circumstances of that was, or whether they ever arrested the perp.

Vali Davis disappeared from Indianapolis on June 24, 1979, but she was never found.

Gibson, John T. / Arrested as suspect in murder of Terra Meredith. Indpls. News Sept. 25, 1979. p. 1, c. 5.

Found this, too. Looks like it is probably unrelated to BJD

Here's an update on my progress in my yearbook search.

I have searched nearly 1,200 yearbooks (1974-1981) for schools in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana in counties surrounding Interstate Highways 70, 74, and 75.

9ca35a87-fa01-46a9-aaf6-e0ea0a618170.jpg

I've come across about 5 or 10 interesting possibles, but so far, have either ruled them out by finding online records of their post-1981 existence, or decided probably not just based on small visual discrepancies.

Last night, in the 1974 Clinton High School yearbook (Clinton Indiana), I found a girl who, if not BG, sure as heck looks like BG. Her initials are SLL. Ironically, her middle and last name is that of a famous serial killer who was active nationwide in the 1970's and 1980's.

Here is her photo, side by side with the two postmortems of BG.

<modsnip>

Check out the curled lower lip, the bottom of their noses. They both have a dorsal lump on their noses, and the almost heart-shaped bulb of the nose.

SLL also has similarly inward sloping eyebrows, and an outward sloping brow-ridge that is more prominent than that of most females.

And She has something going on in the exact same place on her right cheek where BG has a small mole.

As for negatives, The cheekbones might be a little broader, and she might have a very slight cleft chin that is not as fleshy as BG's chin. Her hairline might not be as high. But these are very minor discrepancies. You can't really see her cheekbones very well in that photo, the fleshiness of her chin may have been affected by the 7-year difference between photo dates. And I suspect that the coroner may have trimmed back BG's hairline to expose the injuries to her forehead. And even if not, most of SLL's hairline is covered, so that is a difficult comparison

All things considered, she looks pretty close IMO - especially in comparison to BG's side-view postmortem photo.

Webrocket found in ancestry.com a woman with the same first and last name, and the same middle initial, with a Dec'55 DOB with addresses in Terre Haute and Goshen. The DOB would place her in the Class of 74 and Terre Haute is about 15 miles from Clinton. The records post-date 1981, so if this is the same SLL, she would not be BG. However, Ancestry returned about 350 hits on that First and Last name and Middle Initial, so it is not yet a conclusive rule-out.

Wow Carl, that looks like her. About the cleft in the chin, Buckskin Girl does seem to have cleft in the nose and if I remember correctly from school clefts are almost always in both the nose and the chin although it might be more prominent in one place. That is the case for me personally, I have a clearly cleft nose and a slight cleft in the chin. I posed a bit in front of the mirror and when my face was in the position of yearbook girl it showed a cleft and in autopsy photo position it did not which is interesting...

Carl, the resemblance is uncanny. If you need help researching her, feel free to let me know. I've got ancestry and newspaper archive accounts and I'm not afraid to use 'em!

I went ahead and contacted Lt. Steve Lord of the Miami County Sheriff's Office to tell him about SLL, and I e-mailed a side-by-side comparison to him.

We talked briefly for about 10 minutes, and he said that the tendency of many has been to connect this to the other highway murders that have occurred during that era. His own opinion is that this was possibly a domestic violence situation, as opposed to a hitchhiker or truck-stop prostitute situation. In most of those other cases, the body was left very close to the interstate highway. In this instance, she was left a few miles from I-75. Also, there was no evidence of sexual assault, as they typically find with those other cases, and she was clean and showed no evidence of having been on the road for an extended period of time.

He said that he believes if they can identify her, it will quickly lead them to a perp.

Another detail that I got was that her body was found on the east side of Greenlee Road about halfway up the block. There is a home in that location now that wasn't there at the time.

ETA: This is the approximate location - in the ditch shown here.

Greenlee Road, Miami County OH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member