Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be.

Side note- I hope Marcia's family will do interviews when they feel the time is right. This case could help a lot of other cases get closed/ get much needed attention.

I would like that too. But not hopeful given remarks by LE that they would not comment on investigation due to publicity and notoriety of this case and family's request for privacy. Have been thinking since then we will hear almost nothing on progress in this case. Even if there is someone or media to constantly hound LE for updates I don't think they will give much other than vague, broad statements about where they are with this case. Hope that's wrong though.

Could be.

Side note- I hope Marcia's family will do interviews when they feel the time is right. This case could help a lot of other cases get closed/ get much needed attention.

I would like to hear from her family when the time is right, too, but after how they've been treated by the public at large, the chances are probably pretty low they will, and I wouldn't blame them. It appears the harassers have ruined it for the well-meaning rest of us.

Great video ..

County crimes that grabbed headlines over the years
Murder by banjo, Buckskin Girl among the crime cases

https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/n...dlines-over-the-years/5fJLyZxYrWwCzHMUfEme0I/
There's more than those mentioned. One of the major ones was 1973, Mother and 2 yr old son killed by clawhammer. The twin boys came home from preschool and found them. Mother was naked and tied up. Blood splattered through out the place.

Body of a guy was found on Alcony-Conover.

Woman chased down and killed by axe.

Yolanda DeBarge, found not too far from MS.

Early 1900s Mr. Nesbit chopped up his wife and left her to drain in the bathtub.

I guess Miami Co is one of those counties... Like I've heard, if you want to ditch a body. Come here

So many to list.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for that excellent article, so many bits of interest it was hard to pick one, but this part was exciting!
FUTURE CASES
The DNA Doe Project announced on its Facebook page in February that they were looking at Buck Skin Girl—but also four more. They are: the unknown identity of a man known as Joseph Newton Chandler III, who died by suicide in 2002 (an Office of the U.S. Marshal for the Northern District of Ohio case); the Belle in the Well case, an unidentified deceased woman found in 1981 in Lawrence County, Ohio; the Mill Creek Shed Man case in Snohomish Co., Wash.; and the death of a man known as Lyle Stevik, a man who hanged himself in Amanda Park, Wash., in 2001.
With such challenging samples, there is a mixed chance of success. Five active cases are under review currently. But several others were “non-starters,” especially because unidentified bones had been boiled to remove soft tissue for analysis. That had degraded the genetic material beyond recognition, even under the DNA Doe Project’s exacting methods.
The DNA Doe Project has been contacted by dozens of law enforcement agencies. Where the nonprofit heads next after its first big breakthrough is anybody’s guess—but Press and Fitzpatrick said they plan to continue the work on the toughest cases they can find.
“It has a life of its own already,” said Fitzpatrick. “There are so many missing people, and so many unidentified people. And surely some are in both categories—and nobody knows it.”
attachment.php

From left to right) Detective Steven Hickey, forensic genealogist Colleen Fitzpatrick and genealogist/researcher Margaret Press. (Photo: Courtesy of Margaret Press)

Attachments

• Fitzpatrick-Press-Hickey-Buck-Skin-King-Press-Conference.jpg
    Fitzpatrick-Press-Hickey-Buck-Skin-King-Press-Conference.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 260
This popped up in my FB On this day... They considered Prostitute killer in 2016. Also scrolling through original comments again, someone commented about the flowers on her grave. Steve Baker did interview with Bridenbaugh on anniversary and showed the grave after flowers had been placed, noone ever said who placed the flowers. I'm still trying to find that video because it is somewhere.

Thoughts on the flowers? Noone knows who was placing them, they seemed to be placed around anniversary of her death.
3552efceaca6b879f5eb464ef8ee4ebf.jpg
670f72e3c854f92aaf11d0854b8e86d9.jpg

Yes it's been stated by a woman who said she is the one who puts flowers there. It's not been too long ago maybe since we heard her DNA was going to be tested and uploaded. I think she may be connected to caretakers of the cemetery.
And that's a 2 year old article by Steve Baker. He is WHIO Northern Bureau correspondent.

Well said. I am thinking the communal living could of been an established commune type place, or simply a temporary house(s) being rented.

Good information about Yellow Springs hippie culture and Marcia was interested in alternative culture. I wonder if Troy ever had a noticeable hippie sub culture? When I was younger, Colorado Springs (a larger city) had a district of head shops, record stores, new age / hippie boutiques and probably a bar or two for pseudo bikers.

Anyways, close to the district was a neighborhood with a number of large, but deteriorating Victorian homes. Some, or many, of these homes were then sub rented by the room (and probably by the coach) to a good number of hippies, run away youth and drifters. Anybody know if Troy had a similar district?

Ive lived in the Dayton metro area all but a couple years of my life. Like Marcia I travelled around the country in my youth but not alone. Yellow Springs was not a hippie community per se as you think of Boulder Colorado and the Haight with their very visible street scenes. It is where Antioch Univ. was founded in the 1850s(and later became autonomous Antioch College). It has always been far left of mainstream U.S. society and most of the town as been associated with the school or small local artisan shops and other small village businesses.
For this reason it was also a target of McCarthyism as a hotbed of communists which it never was. It has always been "alternative" in just about every way you can think of and way before it was cool. How about the village passing anti discrimination law prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation in the 1970s. How many places did that!! Go to Wikipedia if you are interested in a basic view of Antioch college and Yellow Springs history.

This was in Cincinnati Ohio
(Reading comments on posts about MK...) Feb 1981
a551fe2db2636fe28812ea7b97bb56c2.jpg
9adedf2ccc25abfda66f0e6183cd5457.jpg

OT: From another recently ID'd case, but I thought it was interesting and possibly relevant to discussion here (JMO):

Medical Examiner Issues Reminder On Unidentified Cases And Missing Persons

A reminder today from the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office about what to do if you need to report someone missing or have reported someone missing over five years ago to make sure they are still in a national database.
<snip>
Mr. Bond was identified within several days of his discovery because he had been reported missing to law enforcement shortly after his disappearance and records that would help identify him were on file. If you have any information about this or any other case, please call the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office at (425) 438-6200. Please check our website for unidentified Snohomish County cases at www.snohomishcountywa.gov/unID

Call 911 if you need to report someone missing. If you have reported someone missing over 5 years ago and they are still missing, call the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office at (425) 388-3393 (then press “0”) with the person’s full name and date of birth to check that they are still entered as a missing person; older cases may have been inadvertently removed from the database. If you check with the Sheriff’s Office and they tell you that the person you are missing is not in the system, ask that they take a new missing person report.

https://myeverettnews.com/2018/04/16...ssing-persons/

IMO, most people are probably unaware that a missing person's report could be removed from databases after a certain number of years. I hope more "reminders" like this are issued in other parts of the country as well. I think so many more of these decades old UID cases could be solved. JMO.

Hi Alleykins....maybe they want to replace the headstone for now....and later move her. I think this will cost the necessary money (totally don't know what this will cost in the US) Maybe the family doesn't have this kind of money right now. Trying to think kind of positive.

Would it make much sense to move her? Her mother must be pretty elderly now and after almost 40 years her siblings may well be scattered across the US so in the medium to longterm who would tend the grave? It might be better to leave her where she is, with a new headstone, and let the local community continue to look after her grave.

Would it make much sense to move her? Her mother must be pretty elderly now and after almost 40 years her siblings may well be scattered across the US so in the medium to longterm who would tend the grave? It might be better to leave her where she is, with a new headstone, and let the local community continue to look after her grave.

I thought maybe where her full brother is but have no clue where that is. Always wondered if mother had more children in 2nd marriage but assumed not since didn't hear of any matches for that part of family.

I agree with it being more practical to leave her there... I’m not too comfortable with the thought of disturbing someone’s final resting place.
But that is just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with it being more practical to leave her there... I’m not too comfortable with the thought of disturbing someone’s final resting place.
But that is just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not sure what to think but lean towards agreeing with Alley, thought they would want her body home?? Wasn't this what we were all hoping for...to bring her home?

Im not sure what to think but lean towards agreeing with Alley, thought they would want her body home?? Wasn't this what we were all hoping for...to bring her home?

Im not sure how I would feel if I were in the shoes of the family.
I think I thought more about bringing her home in a metaphorical sense rather than a literal one. I wanted her to be identified, for her family to know, and for some sort of closure.

Im not sure how I would feel if I were in the shoes of the family.
I think I thought more about bringing her home in a metaphorical sense rather than a literal one. I wanted her to be identified, for her family to know, and for some sort of closure.

This, bringing her home is more of a metaphor for getting closure and knowing what happened. Knowing what happened is the closure. At this point, there is not much to move left to put it frankly. She's already been buried and has rested there for 36 years, moving her is expensive and they might want to keep here there. If that was my sister, I'd leave her grave to be with a new tombstone - as a reminder that even if a case is 36 years cold, it does not mean that hope is lost.

Considering how well known her case is and how well known her grave is, it might do good as a reminder. Even though what happened to Marcia was horrible, her case is a good reminder that there are people out there who care and who will do their upmost to do the right thing. Her case is an example of what society can do with the right resources and the right people getting involved.

I agree with Vi0l3tt3 about the difference between physically and metaphorically bringing someone home. In a sense it could be said that Troy is her home since she has been there and (in a way) part of that community for almost 40 years.

Her birth family can finally grieve for her. Her adopted family can continue to tend her grave. She has two families to remember her.

ETA - sorry, three families to remember her if we include Websleuthers.

I'm not sure if they know they can have Marcia exhumed then cremated to bring home to lay her to rest with her family if they have a central spot family is buried at. If she were my daughter I would want her remains. My dad was cremated then divided into 7 containers. They could also do this with Marcia, give 1/2 to family, rebury the other where she's always been.

I'm not sure if they know they can have Marcia exhumed then cremated to bring home to lay her to rest with her family if they have a central spot family is buried at. If she were my daughter I would want her remains. My dad was cremated then divided into 7 containers. They could also do this with Marcia, give 1/2 to family, rebury the other where she's always been.

Is dividing cremated remains common in the US? AFAIK it isn't in the UK. The only cases I've heard of here are a kind of Wisdom of Solomon thing where, eg, one or more ex-partners (usually ex-wives) of the deceased are at war with the present wife, or where there are siblings from different marriages who can't agree where the deceased should be buried.

I was just reacting on this post from Alleykins:

I meant to ask. I've read and heard at the press conference that the family is considering replacing the headstone with one with Marcia's name on it. Does that mean they don't plan on moving her remains to a family plot or cemetery closer to them? Is that anyone else's take on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member