Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.

I remember The Way International back in the 1970's, along with Sung Myung Moon's Unification church and Hare Krishnas. What I do know of the The Way is their teachings are unorthodox - and scrolling through Newspapers.com, found one article that mentions how its members would prey upon what would look like easy targets, ie, young unsuspecting individuals.

According to one in the Rapid City Journal, Rapid City, SD, back in 1980 the organization would solicit $200. (about $610.00 in 2018) from an individual for a Bible study course. And they usually went to college campuses.

Anyone know where Marcia King attended college if she did go?

Yes but some "hippies" were also "Jesus Freaks" and still dressed in the 60s and 70s style for years. Religious groups meshed with the hippie street scene in places like Boulder and the Haight. Hare Krishnas were everywhere back then too. I saw it all on the streets of Boulder in late 60s early 70s. Another example was the STP Family but they were far from religious but they still dress in that style today. Google them and I think there even is or was a Facebook page also or there was not long ago. It is also a choice that people continued to dress that way not just that they couldn't afford newer fashion. I think cults are more likely to dress alternative. Leather goods like that were pricey back in the day and they did not just appear on a regular basis in 2nd hand stores. Not to be negative toward anyone's post but in my opinion it is looking a lot like she was associated with this cult at time of her murder.

Yeah, but I don't think she was dressed like a hippy. It looks to me like she dressed fairly conservatively. She was wearing the jacket and a matching turtleneck sweater. Most hippies I remember didn't dress that nice. At least real hippies didn't. Also I know they call these hippy jackets now, but I'm not sure they really were. I remember a lot people wearing those type of jackets, who were definitely not hippies.

Anyway, you might be right. I have to think about it more.

I made an account on that website earlier today :)

I didn't realize the possibility of a Way Intl. connection was discussed in earlier posts on this thread but that appears to be the case if the poster on the message board for former members is telling the truth. There are a lot of disgruntled former members so I'm concerned about them making up stories to make the group look bad. However, the recent news update seems to confirm what the poster has stated.

I was involved in some activities sponsored by the Way back in the late 70's. The local Bible study group was just a bunch of young people trying to find our own truth, but there was quite a bit of pressure to get involved in regional activities. They'd say that if you weren't willing to hitch to Salt Lake City for a conference or give bigger offerings, you weren't really trusting Jesus to take care of you. And they weren't very pleased that I had a small kid, either. The others in the group were equally unhappy so we dissolved after a bit.I don't think any of us had any particular horror stories but I wouldn't defend them either.

I have talked a bit with a user on the forum (not the guy who says he knew Marcia) and I am learning some more information about The Way and how it would be around Marcia's time.

Why was she south of New Knoxville then? I'm wondering if she just met up with the wrong person while hitchhiking or if she was purposely driven south of there to be dumped.

Why was she south of New Knoxville then? I'm wondering if she just met up with the wrong person while hitchhiking or if she was purposely driven south of there to be dumped.

From what I've learned, The Way encouraged their followers to hitchhike if they didn't have cars, and there were different fellowships, and OP of that thread thinks she may have joined one in the Troy area.

From what I've learned, The Way encouraged their followers to hitchhike if they didn't have cars, and there were different fellowships, and OP of that thread thinks she may have joined one in the Troy area.

Yeah, they had this weird "If you truly have faith in Jesus no harm will ever come to you" sort of attitude. They quoted the part about the lion's den and the angels holding the lions' mouths shut a lot.

I have talked a bit with a user on the forum (not the guy who says he knew Marcia) and I am learning some more information about The Way and how it would be around Marcia's time.

Don't let them suck you in! We need you. 🙂

You guys are the best! I'm staying right here too! :)

Carbuff, did they ever mention New Knoxville, OH to you?

I do not believe Marcia attended college. We're still not sure where she went to high school.

I think Marcia may have gone to North Little Rock Northeast High School(not positive, though). I found a Fb alumni group in which they were discussing whether she went there, and someone said she did.

Can you share some of what he said?

Can you share some of what he said?

Most of it isn't necessarily relevant to Marcia, but here are some interesting points:

- The Way had about 30,000 members in 1981
- Members of The Way would be sent in "families" to different areas (possible that members went to Arkansas and met Marcia that way)
- Some members ran classes that people signed up for in different areas (different than the "families")
- Members were encouraged to hitchhike if they didn't have cars. Women were raped doing this
- Target members were college-aged folks
- People opened up their homes to members of The Way
- The Way was run on a very tight budget
- Victor Paul Wierville, founder of The Way, moved The Way Headquarters to a large plot of land in New Knoxville, OH in 1961. Members of the Greasespot Cafe had a thread about bad experiences/their knowledge of him

I think Marcia may have gone to North Little Rock Northeast High School(not positive, though). I found a Fb alumni group in which they were discussing whether she went there, and someone said she did.

Thanks! Can't find her in yearbooks but I may be looking at the wrong years.

If she went to school there, why would there be any doubt? She would have graduated in 1977. Wherever she went to school, her name should be in the school year books, and stuff. I'm surprised that no one has figured out for sure where she went to school.

If she went to school there, why would there be any doubt? She would have graduated in 1977. Wherever she went to school, her name should be in the school year books, and stuff. I'm surprised that no one has figured out for sure where she went to school.

I think the people on that page got confused. I couldn't find any mention of a Marcia King in that school, but I found a placeholder profile for a Marcia King on the other school in that city (North Little Rock High School, not North Little Rock Northeast High School).

I think the people on that page got confused. I couldn't find any mention of a Marcia King in that school, but I found a placeholder profile for a Marcia King on the other school in that city (North Little Rock High School, not North Little Rock Northeast High School).

Thanks, nice work.:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members