Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been catching up on reading all of the posts during the past month on this thread.

It was thirty seven years ago today on April 24, 1981 that the body of an unidentified young woman was found on Greenlee Road in rural Miami County, Ohio.

Even though it took thirty seven long years, I’m so glad that Buckskin Girl has finally been identified and that she has got her name back.

We now know that Buckskin Girl was Marcia King.

It is my belief that with new improvements in DNA technology, more missing and unidentified victims will become identified in the future.

And it is my hope that whoever is responsible for the murder of Marcia King is brought to justice.

Kudos to all of the LE investigators whose dedication and determination over the years that led to the victim’s identification.

And kudos to CarlK for the composite drawings that closely resembled the victim, to Springrain for creating and maintaining a Facebook page for the victim, and to everyone on Websleuths for trying to help and for letting families know that all missing and unidentified persons are not forgotten.

Amen! So very thankful that Colleen and Margaret were able to figure out a way to use family tree databases to try to ID our beloved Does.

Bg's case came a long way over the years. My partner and I were the 1st to put her on social media. Back then she had been removed from NCMEC. It was us who helped kick her case into high gear with a member here contacting her LE. It was us to suggest pollen, Isotopes and using family tree DNA

Rest in peace Marcia

The ID of the Golden State Killer makes me very hopeful that Marcia's killer will be found and imprisoned. If they can find him after 40 years, I have hope that they can find the monster that ended Marcia's life too.

Amen! So very thankful that Colleen and Margaret were able to figure out a way to use family tree databases to try to ID our beloved Does.

Bg's case came a long way over the years. My partner and I were the 1st to put her on social media. Back then she had been removed from NCMEC. It was us who helped kick her case into high gear with a member here contacting her LE. It was us to suggest pollen, Isotopes and using family tree DNA

Rest in peace Marcia

I said all that because I would have liked to see WS get recognized at the presser; but unfortunately we did not. Great job to everyone here

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2...eryone-else/8SzyxDL4phVAa05FhxvmON/story.html
By S.I. Rosenbaum May 04, 2018
It was nearing 2 a.m. when they found her. Margaret Press could only gasp. “I have chills down my back,” she told her partner, Colleen Fitzpatrick.

By matching the DNA profile off a long-dead woman known only as Buckskin Girl against a public genetic data archive, the two had identified her as a woman who had gone missing 37 years before.
It was the first time the technique had been used. Only a few weeks later, police in California announced they’d independently used the same process to track down a man accused of being the serial rapist and murderer known as the Golden State Killer.

Neither the suspected Golden State Killer nor Buckskin Girl had a genetic profile in the archive used to identify them. But it didn’t matter — in both cases, someone in their family tree was in the archive, and that was enough to lead investigators to their target.

Rest in peace Marcia

Miracles don't happen on their own, for sure!

I'm still so overwhelmed and happy to see how much media attention Marcia has gotten. It keeps Marcia's memory alive and keeps people looking for her killer. It also informs people of Jane & John Does and the wonders DNA Doe Project!

RIP Marcia, forever & always :rose: :grouphug:

So do we know anything about who Marcia Lenore King was, other then she was born on June 9, 1959, in Little Rock, Arkansas. She disappeared maybe sometime in 1980, from from Little Rock and was found murdered on April 22, 1981 west of Troy, Miami County, Ohio?

Other then her name, DOB and location, it doesn't seem like we know anything more about her, then before she was identified. That is not much to go on.

This case reminds me of Boulder Jane Doe, Dorothy Gay Howard.

So do we know anything about who Marcia Lenore King was, other then she was born on June 9, 1959, in Little Rock, Arkansas. She disappeared maybe sometime in 1980, from from Little Rock and was found murdered on April 22, 1981 west of Troy, Miami County, Ohio?

Other then her name, DOB and location, it doesn't seem like we know anything more about her, then before she was identified. That is not much to go on.

This case reminds me of Boulder Jane Doe, Dorothy Gay Howard.

I believe she was actually born in Biloxi, Mississippi - her birth records were posted on here before the presser. She was from North Little Rock, Arkansas, yes, and went missing possibly in 1980.

The detectives announced at the presser that she was known to have been in/around Louisville, Kentucky and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania the last month of her life.

We do know very little about her; some info I believe her family has chosen not to share, and some info I believe her family just does not know.

I believe she was actually born in Biloxi, Mississippi - her birth records were posted on here before the presser. She was from North Little Rock, Arkansas, yes, and went missing possibly in 1980.

The detectives announced at the presser that she was known to have been in/around Louisville, Kentucky and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania the last month of her life.

We do know very little about her; some info I believe her family has chosen not to share, and some info I believe her family just does not know.

OK, thanks. I missed Biloxi, Mississippi. Do you by any chance know if there is a YouTube link for press conference? I'm looking for one, but so far haven't found it.

With ‘buckskin girl’s’ ID, investigation intensifies into unsolved homicide
https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/n...nto-unsolved-homicide/Fz5capsVOPZknmNAxuYDCP/

Detectives are again asking the public for information that could lead to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for her death.

Anyone with information is asked to call the sheriff's tip line at 937-440-3990 or leave tips at www.miamicountysheriff.org/contact-us-1.

King was laid to rest at Riverside Cemetery in Troy. There are no current plans to exhume her remains for reburial closer to her home in Arkansas.

Yes, I'm also not totally sure she was staying in LR around the time she went missing. I know around close to when she went missing she was staying with her dad's side of the family who I think were in KS right?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

There's been a slight update per the local news (I live in Troy). LE shared that she was in northern Shelby County very close to her time of death, so there is definitely some progress, at least in tracing her whereabouts.

This case has really has piqued my interest since I heard about the BG positive ID about a month ago. I grew up about 4 miles from where the body was found. I was 12 years old in 1981 but I vaguely remember the story from way back when. My older sister remembers it vividly and said all the local teen girls at the time were freaking out about the murder "down the street".

I decided to sign up for a websleuths account today because there is some information that I have discovered on the internet that seems to be confirmed by the Dayton Daily News report that just came out that stated Marcia King spent some time in northern Shelby County just prior to her murder.

There is a message board for former followers of The Way International in which a poster stated that Marcia had visited his/her home based Bible study in Pittsburgh just prior to her murder. The Way International is a Christian-based religious group that many consider a cult. It is based in New Knoxville, OH in Shelby County which is about 40 miles north from where her body was discovered.

The poster on the message board stated that Marcia King was with him/her in Pittsburgh for 2 weeks and then departed for New Knoxville. That may be the reason Marcia was in the area. The Way was much bigger back in the early 80s and had thousands of home-based "fellowships" throughout the country. Apparently, at that time(1981), The Way encouraged followers without a car to hitchhike to the group's various meetings throughout the country. The Way Intl. expanded during the Jesus Freak hippie movement of the late 60's attracting thousands of young people. I'm sure there were still some in the early 80's who resembled hippies. These were definitely alternative thinking Christians.

This case has really has piqued my interest since I heard about the BG positive ID about a month ago. I grew up about 4 miles from where the body was found. I was 12 years old in 1981 but I vaguely remember the story from way back when. My older sister remembers it vividly and said all the local teen girls at the time were freaking out about the murder "down the street".

I decided to sign up for a websleuths account today because there is some information that I have discovered on the internet that seems to be confirmed by the Dayton Daily News report that just came out that stated Marcia King spent some time in northern Shelby County just prior to her murder.

There is a message board for former followers of The Way International in which a poster stated that Marcia had visited his/her home based Bible study in Pittsburgh just prior to her murder. The Way International is a Christian-based religious group that many consider a cult. It is based in New Knoxville, OH in Shelby County which is about 40 miles north from where her body was discovered.

The poster on the message board stated that Marcia King was with him/her in Pittsburgh for 2 weeks and then departed for New Knoxville. That may be the reason Marcia was in the area. The Way was much bigger back in the early 80s and had thousands of home-based "fellowships" throughout the country. Apparently, at that time(1981), The Way encouraged followers without a car to hitchhike to the group's various meetings throughout the country. The Way Intl. expanded during the Jesus Freak hippie movement of the late 60's attracting thousands of young people. I'm sure there were still some in the early 80's who resembled hippies. These were definitely alternative thinking Christians.

It is possible, it would also coincide with some information stated in the very early stages of MK being identified.

:welcome: and thank you for joining

Interesting that someone is stating that they were with Marcia, curious if they recognized her as Buck Skin girl or just now put 2 and 2 together. What thread is this on?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member