GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah he does - he reminds me a little of the guy out west that was driving down the road with the body in the passenger seat and the cops pulled him over? i cant think of his name. he was an unemployed gourmet meat deliverer...

Bernard "Keith" Howell III

He actually went to school with my daughter prior to the move that effected him so.... by all accounts he was a normal well like kid until the move...

(he is also a suspect in another case) http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/a...h-port-townsend-ties-linked-to-grisly-slaying

I can see the resemblance but I believe Howell really has a mental illness not so sure about this guy, but it does sound like he was acting a bit odd.

Here's a picture of the suspect when he was arrested in 2001, alongside his current mugshot.

JMHO
fran

http://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/2010/nov/15/man-convicted-august-2000-arson-steamboat-heart-oh/

Man convicted in August 2000 arson in Steamboat is at heart of Ohio kidnapping, missing persons case

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article and photos at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Seems like an excessive response to covering up a burglary?
Given today's case makes you wonder if they missed the real crime?
Or if his intended crime didn't come to fruition. Doesn't seem like a reasonable cover up though.

Did someone in the nieghborhood bring forth this guy as a suspect and then LE looked and saw that they had made contact with him near the campus? And on that day, did LE just question him and move on?

Was known to got into the woods with a backpack and coming out with out it....frequented the gravel pit several times a week....ugh.

Okay I going crazy but when I read that...my first thought was the movie "Lovely Bones" that guy had a bunker and had it stock"not a true story" but maybe they should be looking underground for bunkers.

That's what it sounds like. IIRC, Stephanie was supposed to meet up with Tina to go look at rentals. So it seems she walked in on the abduction and/or assault(s) when she went to Tina's at the scheduled time. (Just thinking out loud here.) Or, possibly, she may have tried to called Tina, re their plans that day, and walked over when she couldn't reach her.

Or Matthew saw her walking and offered to give her a ride....

Or Matthew saw her walking and offered to give her a ride....

Maybe he told Stephanie he was a neighbor who knew the Maynards and would love to help. I bet he has a wide smile, given that mouth, and people are generally trusting of wide smiles.

I don't know if this is already posted, but here's an article saying he was released from the Colorado prison in January 2007 and paroled to Ohio.

fran

http://www.denverpost.com/frontpage/ci_16618467?source=rss

Ohio kidnapping suspect Matthew Hoffman was convicted of Steamboat Springs arson

Matthew J. Hoffman, 30, suspected in the abduction of teenager Sarah Maynard, was released from the Colorado Department of Corrections in January of 2007.

Hoffman was convicted in 2001 of arson, burglary, assault and motor vehicle theft in Routt County, according to Colorado Bureau of Investigation records.

He was released from Colorado prison and paroled to Ohio, said Katherine Sanguinetti, a corrections department spokeswoman. Hoffman completed his Colorado term last month.

"I'm comfortable that it's the same guy," said Capt. George Hartz of the Mount Vernon, Ohio, Police Department.

Read more: Ohio kidnapping suspect Matthew Hoffman was convicted of Steamboat Springs arson - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/frontpage/ci_16618467?source=rss#ixzz15O8X6yvL

I just have to say that many kids down here trap squirrels. And civilized adults hunt squirrels and various other poor creatures. My mom friends and I joke about how all of our kids (at some point) mistreat the family pets and "experiment" with them by taping cats ears back ("to test their balance) and other such stuff. I think kids can be cruel and have to be educated. I'm sure many sociopaths mistreat small animals, but I am also sure many kids who grow up to be normal adults do the same.

My father in law, who is a psychiatrist, is quite the animal killer himself...

I don't think trapping/hunting is necessarily a sign of conduct issues (not a psychologist myself). I think even mistreatment/general kid mischeif is considered benign - it's when the kid is attempting to inflict pain on the animal and when their actions are for the purpose of inflicting pain, wanting to see something die, etc. That's when you sort of get into the sociopath issue. I think it goes beyond mistreatement - or perhaps when the kid can't get the social norms of not torturing animals, that's when you worry.

That's what I wonder. He must have been so unafraid of getting caught, probably excited. My feeling is he surprised and incapacitated one of them quickly, controlling the rest by threats. I just can't fathom how he did it and was not seen.

He was very brazen - given Tina's truck was there Wed. evening when LE went by there - two times! - and was either in the house, or went back to get Tina's truck because it was gone when LE went back on Thursday afternoon.

Not to mention Tina's b/f was still staying there...we don't know how often because the reporting is not so clear on that...it just happened that Tina's bf didn't come home from work that day (he stayed elsewhere overnite).

That's taking lotsa chances!

I really wish for sure IF Stephanie's Jeep was found in her own garage or in Tina's.
With the conflicting media it's hard to tell.

Okay I going crazy but when I read that...my first thought was the movie "Lovely Bones" that guy had a bunker and had it stock"not a true story" but maybe they should be looking underground for bunkers.

There was a case just like this in California in the 80s (i think) where 2 guys built a big bunker and kept several women there until they were killed. Those guys were named Leonard Lake and Charles Ng.

in the AOL news article the neighbor mentions that MH would walk to the park often and collected leaves....I wonder if there is a collection of leaves in his home of the same type of tree......could a tree in the park hold clues?.....a place to revisit??....bring back souvenirs/leaves?.....maybe a burial ground?

just throwing stuff out there :)

Seems like an excessive response to covering up a burglary?
Given today's case makes you wonder if they missed the real crime?
Or if his intended crime didn't come to fruition. Doesn't seem like a reasonable cover up though.

Two things this guy has in common with serial killers is his penchant of cruelty to animals (as a neighbor stated) and setting fires.

Oh, and in an article yesterday, the one woman talking about him watching them from a tree, said he'd told someone he wanted to beat up or fight her son. Her son is 8 yo.

JMHO
fran

I don't know if this is already posted, but here's an article saying he was released from the Colorado prison in January 2007 and paroled to Ohio.

fran

http://www.denverpost.com/frontpage/ci_16618467?source=rss

Ohio kidnapping suspect Matthew Hoffman was convicted of Steamboat Springs arson

Matthew J. Hoffman, 30, suspected in the abduction of teenager Sarah Maynard, was released from the Colorado Department of Corrections in January of 2007.

Hoffman was convicted in 2001 of arson, burglary, assault and motor vehicle theft in Routt County, according to Colorado Bureau of Investigation records.

He was released from Colorado prison and paroled to Ohio, said Katherine Sanguinetti, a corrections department spokeswoman. Hoffman completed his Colorado term last month.

"I'm comfortable that it's the same guy," said Capt. George Hartz of the Mount Vernon, Ohio, Police Department.

Read more: Ohio kidnapping suspect Matthew Hoffman was convicted of Steamboat Springs arson - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/frontpage/ci_16618467?source=rss#ixzz15O8X6yvL
I also wonder what he was doing in Colorado... I have been doing some searching to see if he has a military background. He would have been 21ish in 2001

He was very brazen - given Tina's truck was there Wed. evening when LE went by there - two times! - and was either in the house, or went back to get Tina's truck because it was gone when LE went back on Thursday afternoon.

Not to mention Tina's b/f was still staying there...we don't know how often because the reporting is not so clear on that...it just happened that Tina's bf didn't come home from work that day (he stayed elsewhere overnite).

That's taking lotsa chances!

I've also wondered if the perp was a casual friend or drinking buddy of Tina's b/f and may have known of his plans to stay overnight elsewhere. He could have also used his acquaintance w/ b/f as a ruse to be allowed into the house.

There was a case just like this in California in the 80s (i think) where 2 guys built a big bunker and kept several women there until they were killed. Those guys were named Leonard Lake and Charles Ng.

The Lake guy committed suicide and the Ng guy, it took 20 years to have him extradicted from Canada, where he was located.

I remember that case from when I lived in Oregon in the 80's and I lived in OC when this guy was finally tried.

Horrible case!

JMHO
fran

in the AOL news article the neighbor mentions that MH would walk to the park often and collected leaves....I wonder if there is a collection of leaves in his home of the same type of tree......could a tree in the park hold clues?.....a place to revisit??....bring back souvenirs/leaves?.....maybe a burial ground?

just throwing stuff out there :)
t

I wish we had other neighbors and get their input...It has been suggested that DD may not be reliable...Would like verification.....The hole in the ceiling wierded me out....but we can't say for sure it's accurate.

I just have to say that many kids down here trap squirrels. And civilized adults hunt squirrels and various other poor creatures. My mom friends and I joke about how all of our kids (at some point) mistreat the family pets and "experiment" with them by taping cats ears back ("to test their balance) and other such stuff. I think kids can be cruel and have to be educated. I'm sure many sociopaths mistreat small animals, but I am also sure many kids who grow up to be normal adults do the same.

My father in law, who is a psychiatrist, is quite the animal killer himself...

I'm not even sure what to say to this :waitasec: My kids know better than to ever harm, hurt or harass an animal for entertainment.

http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/firs..._animal_cruelty_what_parents_should_know.html

If allowed to harm animals, children are more likely to be violent later in life. Animal cruelty, like any other violence, should never be attributed to a stage of development.

Cruelty is often associated with children who do poorly in school and have low self-esteem and few friends. Children who are cruel to animals are often characterized as bullies and may have a history of truancy, vandalism, and other antisocial behaviors.

http://www.hsus.org/acf/cruelty/publiced/cruelty_serial_killers.html
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/425882/the_link_between_animal_abuse_and_serial.html?cat=

The statistics are staggering and the link between animal abuse as children/teenagers and future violent tendencies (including murder) are very well documented.

Of the nine school shootings .... half had histories of animal cruelty.

...serial killers ...46 percent admitted to committing animal cruelty as adolescents

Future serial killers usually torture animals purely for their own enjoyment. Animal abuse is a recognized sign of a mental disorder. If a child hurts animals it should be a red flag and immediate action should be taken. While there are many factors that contribute to someone becoming a serial killer, the one constant they share is animal abuse.

Are there any other missing people or unsolved cases in Howard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966