GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recent FB post says per ch10 the dog was found with the bodies.

ETA: I've looked and I don't see it reported by ch10

“[Matthew Hoffman] purchased a one-year membership in November 2009,” said Body Basics owner Steve Mullins, adding Hoffman made regular visits to the gym through May 2010. Attendance records then show that his visits dropped off through the summer months before routine weekend visits started again in October.

“The only freaky thing is that he would always check in shortly before closing. He would be here maybe only 25 minutes,” said Mullins, in looking at the daily check-in and check-out records.

http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/10/11/19/victim-and-suspect-have-connections-to-local-gym

bbm

I wonder if she had any sixth sense about pressing charges or it was purely based on fear. Been there... scared to stay, scared to go...it's a very vulnerable place to be and hard to make decisions. She is probably in a pretty dark place now, but at least shes alive too.

As a survivor of a physically abusive relationship, pressing charges isn't something you want to consider until that person has been out of your life for a long, long time. At that moment, you just want the promise that, once you've decided to end the relationship, you will never have to see them or interact with them again. And you live in fear of that moment-- everything in your life is based on fear of that moment. People encourage you to press charges and all you can think about is, "They are crazy. They don't understand. He will kill me. I just want to disappear."

JMO

In looking for the dog post,

I have also noticed people asking to remember Stephanie’s children as well,
And we should, they have suffered a terrible loss as well.
Also in my prayers.

“[Matthew Hoffman] purchased a one-year membership in November 2009,” said Body Basics owner Steve Mullins, adding Hoffman made regular visits to the gym through May 2010. Attendance records then show that his visits dropped off through the summer months before routine weekend visits started again in October.

“The only freaky thing is that he would always check in shortly before closing. He would be here maybe only 25 minutes,” said Mullins, in looking at the daily check-in and check-out records.
http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/10/11/19/victim-and-suspect-have-connections-to-local-gym

Time to shower and see who's there???

He was stalking Stephanie? Don't cleaning crews usually work at the end of the day? Did he wait for her or look for chances to talk to her? Will we ever know?:banghead:

Of the many things discussed, one of my biggest questions, is HOW LE found out Sarah was in MH’s basement, and why or who told them it would only be her?? That has always bugged me.

Where did this tip come from?????

LE did not go there just to check!

They went with full SWAT. It had to of been a very reliable tip.
RSBM

My guess is that they analyzed the blood at Tina's house and they got a match for Tina, Stephanie and Kody but not Sarah. And that the receipt brought them to MH's house.

I do tend to agree, however strange and bizarre it sounds, with what someone had posted either here or FB as to the reasoning behind the bags of leaves, the hollow tree, etc. I think he kept having the power cut off because he couldn't pay the bills and being very knowledgable in nature & squirrels, etc, he thought the bags of leaves would make good insulation, much as squirrels and other wildlife do. After he killed Tina, Kody & Stephanie, he chose to hid their bodies in a hollowed out tree that he previously had discovered, while camping in the woods, just as squirrels hide their nuts for the winter, because he thought that they would likely never be discovered and he had developed somewhat of a "think like a squirrel" mentality and where do squirrels hide things? In trees.

I would not be surprised to hear that these are not his first victims nor would I be surprised to hear that he has some mental health issues.

All of this is MOO.

Ever hear of the expression "squirrel things away?" I am just dumbfouned by all the reports of his bizzare behavior...don't tell me his family and those around him had no clue. You don't get that way overnight. Wonder what his fellow inmates observed as well.

He was stalking Stephanie? Don't cleaning crews usually work at the end of the day? Did he wait for her or look for chances to talk to her? Will we ever know?:banghead:
when I read the article I didn't take it that way at all (stalking)... the owner said in further down in the article that the cleaning people came in later...

fwiw

I'll do my best to get ya caught up, ThoughtFox.

Tina's (ex)boyfriend says he had contact w/ Tina at 4:ish a.m. & 11ish a.m. on Wednesday (11/10/2010)...This is also a day that Tina & Stephanie are supposed to go looking for an apartment (the b/f & Tina are splitting up & the house is about to be foreclosed on).

When Tina didn't show up for work that afternoon , a wellness check was requested. LEO goes to her home 2 times that evening, finds lights on, Tina's F150pickup there - but no one answers his knock on the door.

Sarah & Kody went to school on Wednesday.

A DQ co-worker. still concerned on Thursday, goes to the house, finds blood & then calls LE...Tina's boyfriend, who didn't come home Wed. nite, meets LE at the house that afternoon - LE goes into the house & comes out saying they need search warrants. Stephanie's Jeep is reported to be at the house but Tina's truck is not, and is found later a few miles down the road near Kenyon College. (We find out days later that Hoffman was sitting in his car, parked in the area of Tina's pickup & LE approached him, got his info, etc. and let him go).

Sarah & Kody were not at school on Thursday.

Now LE is looking for Tina, Sarah, Kody, and Stephanie - as well as Tanner the miniature Pinscher and are concerned due to the "unusual" amount of blood in the house, which they attribute to "an injury".

On Sunday morning, Sarah is rescued from Hoffman's basement and Hoffman is arrested for kidnapping.

The search intensifies for the other 3 and LE wasn't optimistic they would be found alive.

LE recovered the bodies of Tina, Kody & Stephanie on Thursday, Nov.18th after Hoffman, via his atty, told LE where the bodies could be found.

[bbm]

Thanks for this. It has been a confusing week.

I think LE connected the dots & had him under surveillance. He could've been on their radar and if/when they traced the Walmart receipts to him, a judge signed off on a search warrant for his home & they were able to find S.

I think it's possible MH may have been sincere in telling his mother he was glad they caught him so Sarah could go free. He's also on suicide watch. I think it's possible he could be mentally disturbed, but not a sociopath - able to appreciate the gravity of his acts once he had committed them.

It's possible he "came back" after having a mental break, but knew he would not be able to release Sarah without having the whole story come out. With the LE intervention, the "problem" was solved for him.

It's also possible he developed a fondness for Sarah. It doesn't appear she was sexually assaulted, based on the current charges against him. She also appeared to be treated well for a hostage/kidnapping scenario - he did keep her fed, and she was not bound and gagged the entire time. She needed minimal treatment at the hospital. He may genuinely have been happy that she was able to return to her family and he wasn't "forced" to kill her.

In no way am I excusing his actions, or trying to minimize the horror of Sarah's experience. However, I do think that it is possible that MH was sincere in his statements. He may be a very mentally disturbed person, rather than a calculated sociopath. :twocents:

RSBM

My guess is that they analyzed the blood at Tina's house and they got a match for Tina, Stephanie and Kody but not Sarah. And that the receipt brought them to MH's house.

I am strongly beginning to think Matthew Hoffman called LE himself!

Yes, I read all of that, too.

The neighbor (DD) also said that he would often walk down the trail with trashbags, sometimes coming back with them and sometimes not. A local posted that there's a dumpster near the park. So I decided he was probably leaving his house with a bag of trash to leave in that dumpster, and then sometimes coming back with a bag of leaves.

:eek:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...010/11/19/a-tragic-ending-in-knox-county.html

Hoffman, who spent six years in a Colorado prison for setting a fire that caused more than $2 million in damage to a condominium complex there, is being held in jail unless he can come up with a $1 million cash-only bond. He's under a suicide watch after threatening to hurt himself.

Hoffman's public defender, Bruce Malek, declined to comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mommysbabies24