GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"At the vigil, Paul Manter, a friend of Hoffman's mother and stepfather said they "can't believe that their son did this." Manter attends the same church as the couple and said they had wanted to help with the searching but he advised against it."

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/nov...s-triple-murder-investigation-begi-ar-296411/

I really think his parents are likely good people with just a bad son. I fear there may be people who drive them out of the community and I really hope that isn't the case. I've seen so much support in my community, I would hate for them to turn hateful out of fear or blame.

The tree. :(

image_tree280.jpg

The bodies of Tina Herrmann, 32; her son, Kody Maynard, 11; and family friend Stephanie Sprang, 41, were found Thursday afternoon in a wooded area of the Kokosing Wildlife Preserve

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo...n-knox-county-missing-found-tree.html?sid=102

when I read the article I didn't take it that way at all (stalking)... the owner said in further down in the article that the cleaning people came in later...

fwiw
I wondered early on if either of the women had met him before, because that's a logical assumption and LE said there was no break-in. When LE said there was no indication that they had known him, I still wondered. Families don't always know of everyone in their loved ones lives, let alone casual acquaintances or "one time meets".

Now knowing that MH always signed in just before closing, that Stephanie did cleaning there, that cleaning was done after hours, AND already having read that Stephanie's family said she had told them she felt like she was being stalked...

I am convinced that MH was stalking her, and MAY even have tried to get to know her and was rebuffed. IMO, Stephanie probably "got the creeps" about him if she ever saw/talked to him, or maybe it was just that "sixth sense" of feeling stalked but not having anything to go on.

:(

Interesting that there was a fire downtown Mount Vernon on Oct. 25th of this year and destroyed the building. It was being investigated as an arson, and the building had a gym (Bodi N Balance) and a martial arts studio. I wonder where MH was that day? The fire first started in the basement. I was trying to look at various media pictures from the fire to see if MH can be spotted watching the firemen try to put it out. Makes me wonder if he was coming in late to the Body Basics gym to watch for a way to hide out and burn that building. Any locals know if the cause of the downtown fire at 201 S. Main Street was ever determined?

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/oct...-fighting-large-commercial-fire-mo-ar-270254/

I did not get the feeling they were for insulation.
Maybe I am wrong.
Doesn’t seem to me that bags of leaves would do much for insulation from a cold Ohio winter.

I'm in Ohio, about an hour SW from all of this, and there is no way those leaves would do anything for insulation. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe they are from the trees of other victims. I do not think this was his first time, unfortunately.

Being from an area similar to this case (small, quiet, "SAFE"), it just hit too close to home for me. I hate this for the families, for their community, and for the children, who know that monsters really do exist now.

From my understanding, the building fire downtown wasn't arson? Or it had no indications that it was an arson?

I'm local, and haven't heard anybody say it was being investigated as an arson. It was an old building with old electrical. It was bound to happen sooner or later. JMO.

"At the vigil, Paul Manter, a friend of Hoffman's mother and stepfather said they "can't believe that their son did this." Manter attends the same church as the couple and said they had wanted to help with the searching but he advised against it."

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/nov...s-triple-murder-investigation-begi-ar-296411/

I really think his parents are likely good people with just a bad son. I fear there may be people who drive them out of the community and I really hope that isn't the case. I've seen so much support in my community, I would hate for them to turn hateful out of fear or blame.
I agree.

FYI, for those who requested a timeline, there is one in the above article.

The complete timeline of all the details may or may not come out in the trial (if there is one).

Ronso -
Hoffman has two sibblings also? Do they live in the area too?
It will be hard for all the families involved, poor people.

Some people have even changed their last names, after a relative commits a crime like this.

No way this was random...he planned this and if he hadn't given up the bodies -- they never would have been found. Now -- WHO ELSE HAS HE DONE THIS TO?? How many other bodies are out there....

I hope I linked this right. The quote is from the article link.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo...n-knox-county-missing-found-tree.html?sid=102

The bodies were found inside a hollow tree that was nearly one mile into the woods. Investigators said the area is so densely wooded that they believe Hoffman dragged the bodies to the tree.
Detectives believe that Hoffman, an experienced tree trimmer, used harnesses to haul the bodies up to a hole at the top of the tree and dropped them down to the base, Ramos reported.

I had to leave here last night, it was to horrifying for me to stay. These poor people. I couldn't sleep.

Then I remembered the Dennis Rader case, BTK, and how he subdued the Otero family. The father Joseph Otero, 38yo was physically fit and was a excellent boxer. Mrs Otero had extensive training in Judo as well as the children. This monster separated this family into different rooms. He brought cord and hoods, tape and wire cutters into the house. LE said this case was brilliantly planned and orchestrated crime which required surveillance, perfect timing, and the ability to subdue a group of people who were normally more than capable to defending themselves.

I think this is what happen in this case.

I agree! Gosh, the BTK killer still creeps me out so much! *shudder* Everyone should keep their doors locked during the day when they are home alone.

My husband and I were recalling Cary Stayner, too, the guy who was able to get into a hotel room with a woman and two teenage girls in Yosemite and overpower them. He also killed a fourth woman and I believe buried her in the woods.

He was a nature nut too, loving to go out and spy on people in Yosemite. He was also obsessed with Bigfoot, so he and Squirrel-Boy might have something in common.

Wikipedia for Cary Stayner

Yosemite Murders
Cary Stayner's Mental State

Also - I would love to see more pictures of Kody. All I've seen is the one. And was he 11 or 10?? I've seen both. I'm a single mom with 3 kids, 19, 17 and 9. This is just heartbreaking.

I have so many questions and I want answers now!! Am I the only one like this?? I keep refreshing this thread every 5 minutes!!

And I thought I would also mention, the “suicide gown”???
I know that is what has been called by all, even LE.

But to me it looks as if it is protection from someone ELSE hurting him!
He isn’t going to commit suicide while hand cuffed in custody! And they likely have a guard at his cell too, or with in very close proximity IF he is suicidal.

Looks to me like they don’t want him getting killed in transport. Many times you will see a prisoner even in bullet proof vests, to protect them from the public, not themselves.

I have wondered if reporting he was suicidal and the resulting suicide gown weren't a type of pressure to make him uncomfortable? They are (obviously) nude under the gown, they have breakaway straps, seems like one would feel more vulnerable like that.

Also, on suicide watch I think you may be under lights, 24/7? For a loner like that it must be at least slightly unnerving?

And in one of the pics someone mentioned at the video hearing he looked like he may have a black eye? One can only hope...

think it was this pic

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view&current=hoffmansuicidesmock.jpg

Also - I would love to see more pictures of Kody. All I've seen is the one. And was he 11 or 10?? I've seen both. I'm a single mom with 3 kids, 19, 17 and 9. This is just heartbreaking.

I have so many questions and I want answers now!! Am I the only one like this?? I keep refreshing this thread every 5 minutes!!

I know the exact feeling SaliorMoon.
With a investigation, a trial, and conviction phase, we may be waiting a long time for the answers we are looking for.

And out of respect to the family, many questions may never be answered.
I'm still in shock over this, it is so senseless.

No way this was random...he planned this and if he hadn't given up the bodies -- they never would have been found. Now -- WHO ELSE HAS HE DONE THIS TO?? How many other bodies are out there....

I hope I linked this right. The quote is from the article link.

The bodies were found inside a hollow tree that was nearly one mile into the woods. Investigators said the area is so densely wooded that they believe Hoffman dragged the bodies to the tree.
Detectives believe that Hoffman, an experienced tree trimmer, used harnesses to haul the bodies up to a hole at the top of the tree and dropped them down to the base, Ramos reported.

That sure took alot of unnecessary effort, dontcha think? Makes me question any ulterior motives re: why he started working out again in October after laying off the gym for the summer. :waitasec:

That sure took alot of unnecessary effort, dontcha think? Makes me question any ulterior motives re: why he started working out again in October after laying off the gym for the summer. :waitasec:

Well - I can tell you this - those bodies would have never been found. And why did he lay out of the gym during the summer? What the heck was he doing then??

He reminds me of Joseph Duncan in ways - he camped in the woods to stay off radar. And what he put Shasta through -- unspeakable.

I want hear more from the ex gf, although we probably won't. I have commented on both facebook pages, I am wearing a purple shirt today - I wish there was more I could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mommysbabies24