GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if we have any thing that might tie
Mathew Hoffman to any unsolved crimes around where he lived in OH, in
small towns. (PA,OH,IND,KY,CO)
He know he likes small towns, woods, arson.
MO, this crime ws not his first murder, kidnapping event.
He served time in Colorado for arson.
Especially in the last 2 years........TIA

Noway had a post a while back in an earlier thread. There was a link to another homicide in the area that I found interesting.
I've been searching for Noway's post and can't seem to find it (I could be wrong about who posted it:waitasec:). I remember adding the location and name to my map, so I simply googled them.
Here is one of the links I found:
http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/09/12/22/davis-family-friends-searching-for-answers

Not sure if there's any connection, just throwing it out there FWIW.

it wasn't me who posted the link; I think it was Crocus.

ETA
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OH - 2 women and 2 children, Apple Valley, 11.10.2010 - 13 year old rescued

Isn't there an unsolved murder near this area from a few years ago? Jean Davis IIRC? I don't know anything about it - but came across it on the FB group page.

Found this

http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/09/12/21/victims-truck-recovered-in-licking-county

The comment was posted after MH was in custody.

Your post is the reason I asked if anyone knew of the timeframe that Catfish first posted his "look in the trees," comments, and when MH was arrested. To disqualify (or qualify) any thoughts that perhaps MH got his idea of where to hide the bodies because of what this Catfish person said.

I feel sorry for this ME......this will probably be one of the hardest cases, emotionally, she'll handle during her entire career.:(

JMHO
fran

She was just elected Coroner in the past year or two. Wouldn't want to be her, for sure :(

This might be helpful ...

If you want to bookmark someone's post, you can right click on the post number which is in the top right corner (mine above is 82) and then you're given an option to give the bookmark a name and save it in a folder.

The name defaults to the number. I usually leave the number and add who posted it and key words (82 thread 8 noway oh murder jean davis) and save it in the folder for the cases I'm following.

Makes finding it easier (trust me, I have link overload).

it wasn't me who posted the link; I think it was Crocus.

ETA
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OH - 2 women and 2 children, Apple Valley, 11.10.2010 - 13 year old rescued

Isn't there an unsolved murder near this area from a few years ago? Jean Davis IIRC? I don't know anything about it - but came across it on the FB group page.

Found this

http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/09/12/21/victims-truck-recovered-in-licking-county

YAY:woohoo:
Thank you for finding it Noway - it was driving me crazy!:crazy:

While looking I did find this brilliant post of yours though (from last Sunday):

Thinking that I'd look in the opposite direction from the house (not in direction of campus where truck was found) since he'd want them to be looking far away from where they are.

JMO
Thanks

Wow. You were right.

I have a copy of Catfish Billy's post that's still up - it's quoted by another poster.

here's the link - post 119

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/wbns/T73CJRH66IB46JCIU/p6

Really eerie how he was so right on with his idea about how creepy MH might hide a body.

Thanks! I've now copied that one too and a couple of others that might become relevant if and when this goes to trial.

I've heard from two people I know who live in the general area that a plea deal was reached with MH - telling where the bodies were in exchange for taking the death penalty off the table. If that's the case, there may be no trial. But, I've heard others point to the Ohio case of Bobby Cutts, who led LE to the body of his girlfriend and in that case the death penalty was being considered but the jury sentenced him to LWOP.

I want to answer one question everyone has been having (me included). I live very close to all of this, but am not one to go converge and gawk and I don't pass this naturally. Apple Valley Drive is the road that circles Apple Valley Lake. It can be very curvy and is winding in places (steep hills, sharp turns). King Beach Drive is at the bottom of a big hill and twist. MHs parents live at 3730 (Apple Valley Dr), after a few more twists etc

On my home from town today, I decided to loop around Apple Valley Drive and pass by "the scene". Had I headed towards home, I would have chickened out I think and not done it. As I drove around, my perspective was different. As I looked at the houses I was passing, I couldn't help to think "gosh, it could have been that house", over and over, because the truth is, many (not all, not most, but many) sit alone like sitting ducks.

I was watching the house numbers, knowing I was getting close. I did not turn down King Beach Drive to pass the house (just couldn't), but mentally noted how isolated it seemed (you can see the house from AVD). There are houses around, but not within "hearing" distance, if you know what I mean. So no one, especially with the weather being cooler and having windows closed, could have heard anything going on inside that house.

The parents house is close, but in no way close enough for MH to observe THs house from there.

Creepy drive around today.

Thanks! I've now copied that one too and a couple of others that might become relevant if and when this goes to trial.

I've heard from two people I know who live in the general area that a plea deal was reached with MH - telling where the bodies were in exchange for taking the death penalty off the table. If that's the case, there may be no trial. But, I've heard others point to the Ohio case of Bobby Cutts, who led LE to the body of his girlfriend and in that case the death penalty was being considered but the jury sentenced him to LWOP.

Bobby Cutts was a cop, and maybe the jury figured he'd get more justice in general population?

If there is a trial, it will probably need moved out of this county. Too much emotion involved.

Has anyone heard anything yet if there is going to be a press conference today?

Also, cannot help but thinking about it....the leaves hanging on the walls of his home, and around the edges inside, yes insulation, and what is insulation? I think he was building a nest. I am sorry if this sounds off key, but I really think that is what he was doing. Squirrels are hunter/gatherers, and the fact he had been collecting leaves for quite sometime, I think nest. I also think perhaps that is why SM may not have been sexually exploited, the nest was not complete.

I also heard when listening to Nancy Grace that he led them to the tree, now that can be taken that he verbally led them. But I remember hearing something here....

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119680&page=16

Post 387...did he take them out and show them the tree, this is not unheard of actually in past cases.

I have alot more input, but getting ready to eat lunch now.... will be back in abit...

I would of one day in the past say that cases like this are rare.
But in this day and time, they seem to be increasingly more frequent.
And in a higher degree of insanity, as well.

I believe this was well planed, I am a little surprised that MH cracked, I feel his Mother had much to do with convincing him in some way or another.

A psychopath will often fantasize of events like this for long periods of time before making them a reality.
I do not feel like this is MH’s first try at this either. Past events may not have been as dramatic but, I do not believe this is the first time he has killed.

There is a missing stepping stone somewhere in between the arson, and a triple homicide, kidnapping & dismemberment of 3 bodies. To much of a leap there, there was something in between. We just don’t know what it was, and he got away with it too! Possibly more than once! Giving him even greater confidence to pull something of this magnitude off like he did.

Psychopaths have the ability to imitate normalcy. Often getting to know their intended victims first.
Cold calculating, organized people. Often thinking everything will be just like they want it after their crime.
He would have Sarah, everyone else would be gone.
+ the ability for dismemberment = highest level of psychopath. And here we have MH!

A sociopath - Is indicative of rage killings, going postal, drive by shootings, shooting randomly at a party, things like that. But they have a lot of things in common with a psychopath.

I agree. LE should be looking into any unsolved murder cases within a radius of Knox County. I'd like to know if MH was released from prison in Colorado and went immediately to Ohio, or was there a period of months between his release from prison and going to Ohio. There may be an unsolved case there too.

Also, cannot help but thinking about it....the leaves hanging on the walls of his home, and around the edges inside, yes insulation, and what is insulation? I think he was building a nest. I am sorry if this sounds off key, but I really think that is what he was doing. Squirrels are hunter/gatherers, and the fact he had been collecting leaves for quite sometime, I think nest. I also think perhaps that is why SM may not have been sexually exploited, the nest was not complete.

I also heard when listening to Nancy Grace that he led them to the tree, now that can be taken that he verbally led them. But I remember hearing something here....

Post 387...did he take them out and show them the tree, this is not unheard of actually in past cases.

I have alot more input, but getting ready to eat lunch now.... will be back in abit...

After the news conference about recovering their remains, a reporter came on and said that Hoffman told them, he did not physically lead them. I wish I could tell you where to find it but I had 3 different channels going at the same time and don't remember which one it was.

I have heard that there will be a "media release" from the coroner/ME office.
Matthew Hoffman, gave investigators information through his attorneys that led them to the bodies in woods in central Ohio.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...oHcyFQ?docId=ed6e7941069d4f0c9a2a1abd1c7f1eb2

I think it is safe to say that MH planned this out. LE has even made statements that he had been watching the family, so he probably knew of their routine. Exactly like Joseph Duncan did to the Groene family. He also purchased that tarp and garbage bags for the purpose of doing what he did. I am still very curious as to what happened that led LE to 'know' Sarah was in that horrible basement in MH's house. I wouldn't be too surprised to hear that MH's Mother had gone over there on Saturday, and perhaps saw or heard something that tipped her off, and she made the phone call to LE. :waitasec: I feel so horrible for all of the survivors in this case - Sarah and her family, Stephanie and her family, LE and their families, the entire community that has watched this tragedy unfold in horror.

My husband was watching a program on the Discovery Channel about surveillance technology about two weeks ago and I sat down and watched part of it. The FBI has some sort of technology now that they can pick up conversations within a building just by aiming a device at the building. It was demonstrated and it's amazing! Knowing that the FBI is involved in this case, I wonder if LE had enough information (the Walmart receipt and other evidence) to pinpoint MH as the likely suspect and bring in their specialized equipment? They may have picked up MH making demands of Sarah.

Does anyone know when Catfish's first post re: hiding things up in trees vs. when MH was arrested?

I saw the posts at Topix on Wednesday night, the day before the bodies were found. At that time there were less than 80 comments. I noted the name, "Catfish Billy", but his post really didn't seem that relevant until after the bodies were found. At that time I was more interested in the commet by "Hopeful" who stated that Sarah was held, bound and gagged, in another room of the house, and heard a saw and the bathtub filling up and draining. Hopeful said that he or she had heard from some close to the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid