GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a horrible nightmare for these families. He is not human he is a monster, he deserves DP.

This is a horrific nightmare for the families, and also for everyone in that community. I'm sure that no amount of training could have prepared police officers for what they witnessed inside the Herrman home and what they saw when they found the bodies inside the hollow tree.

I'm sure this has shaken the very foundation of the community. It's shattered their sense of security.

With a town that small, I'm sure everyone knows or is acquainted with with someone involved. I feel especially sorry for poor Sarah for having to live through such a horrible experience at her tender age. I'm sure she's been badly traumatized and will never forget the terror. My sympathy for all who knew and loved Tina, Kody, and Stephanie.

From that same link:

Pejsa said the family believed someone was watching them before they were killed. Several months ago, they saw a man in camouflage sitting on a stump across the street watching them, he said.

"There would be knocks at the door and people would take off," Pejsa said outside Herrmann's home.

:(

I know from experience that LE can't do anything until someone breaks a law.

But keep reporting things like this.

SIGH!!!!!!

from your link --

Pejsa, the uncle of Herrmann's former live-in boyfriend, said he was the first person allowed inside the home after investigators cleared the scene. He said he brought bottles of bleach to clean blood from the bathroom so that his nephew wouldn't have to see it.

"It was terrible," he said of the blood. "Everything led back to the bathroom."

This is awful -- the DQ mgr had to have seen something horrible & Uncle Joe had to clean it up.

I'm sick all over again w/ what MH did to those innocent people...poor Sarah and the families.

It's terrible to think of what these people have been through. :frown:

I think that post by "Hopeful" on Topix was likely accurate. I think "Hopeful" may be an extended family member or someone close to a family member. He or she could also be close to someone in LE.

http://knoxpages.com/?NewsID=8188&CatID=1

""The autopsies were conducted Friday at the Licking County Coroner’s Office.

“The most challenging and heartbreaking thing I have had to do as coroner is discuss these findings with the families of the deceased victims,” said Ogle. “The truth is often unspeakable, and I sincerely feel for their loss and commend them for their strength and dignity moving forward in this tragedy.”

The autopsy revealed no signs of sexual assault.""

There just aren't any words to describe the horror concerning these crimes.

Pejsa said the family believed someone was watching them before they were killed. Several months ago, they saw a man in camouflage sitting on a stump across the street watching them, he said.

"There would be knocks at the door and people would take off," Pejsa said outside Herrmann's home.
He said Borders couldn't say for sure if the man on the stump was Hoffman, but he thought it was him.

IMO

More from Dr.Ogle here:

On Wednesday, Nov. 10, all three were attacked with a knife and stabbed multiple times in the back and chest causing fatal exsanguination of blood from their chest cavities. Smaller non-fatal wounds were also noted. ¸

Pending further tests, there were no signs of sexual assault.

Sometime after death, the bodies were dismembered. They were then placed inside large plastic garbage bags and later lowered into the hollow of a large tree.

The location of the deaths is pending further test,." Ogle said.

http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/10/11/20/ogle-releases-preliminary-autopsy-report

(RSBM)

Snap, please, is there any way you can find a link to this changed information? I have not heard anything about Sarah having seen SS on Wednesday.

If it's true, it doesn't change anything much. It could mean that SS and TH were still alive when the kids got home, but could have been bound and helpless. Or, it could be that Sarah actually saw SS and TH deceased but held out hope that Kody was spared. Everything LE said the first few days indicated that they thought there was a chance that at least some of them were still alive. If Sarah had seen all three deceased, Sheriff Barber would not have believed otherwise. I'm so hoping that Sarah was not a witness to any of these killings.

Bless them all! :(

AntiqueGirl: I will search for the link. I was at work and couldn't post on Thurs. But I can read online news, which is how I found out they found the bodies. I believe the article said that Sarah last saw ALL involved on Wed- I don't think it specified if she saw them alive or deceased, but I would guess alive. As I've said, based on this piece of info (if it is accurate), LE's statement that the 3 were killed in the Herrmann house (not elsewhere), and LE's hope that they may find more than one in MH's house, leads me to believe that he at least separated Sarah, if not the others, from one another on that wed. I think she really didn't know what happened to the rest. I think she was blindfolded and bound, and put in her own basement, perhaps. Someone else on here showed a pix of TH's house, and said it appears to have a basement-type of structure.

I will try to find the news articles and post them to your attn.

I was just reading the Pray for Maynard Kids FB - and they're all talking about a fake FB page for SM that punk trolls made w/ *advertiser censored* & SM's pics. :(

I wish there were laws against this carp....I do not believe our founding fathers' idea of free speech included this kind of garbage. :censored:

I think there was truth to it because to 'hear' a saw suggests a power tool. To dismember a body (and he did 3) with a hand tool would take far too long (and would be messier since it would be hard to do that in the bathtub and the sheriff wouldn't have hoped to find more than 1 person).

MH had no power at his home so this likely occurred within earshot of the remaining victim at her home before both she and the bodies were moved.

The amount of planning and forethought that went into this is astounding. he is one sick son of a gun.

Good point! I had forgotten about the lack of electricity at MH's house.

Yes.............I agree about the amount of planning that went into this. He had all his "tools" with him. I only wish that Tina or Stephanie had a gun or something to defend themselves with. Our daughters carry pepper spray on their keychains. Pepper spray might have bought them some time to call 911 and/or escape the house.

Found one article. Still looking for the one that says Sarah last saw the other three on Wed. I remember wondering about that, cause initial reports said she didn't see SS. Will try to hunt that one down, and the one re: the bus arriving home at TH house at 4:30. In the meantime, I have bolded the in the text of the article following the link:

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/nov/18/41/bodies-missing-boy-women-found-ar-295449/

MOUNT VERNON, Ohio --

Eight days after being reported missing, the bodies of a boy and two women have been found in a hollow tree in Knox County Thursday.

The bodies were found in the area of Yankee Street and Waterford Road northwest of Fredericktown, sources told NBC 4 Thursday.

Knox County Sheriff David Barber said at a news conference, "Today this investigation took a major turn. We have the discovered and recovered the remains of Kody Maynard, Stephanie Sprang and Tina Herrmann. The discovery of these bodies was as the result of information provided by Matthew Hoffman. The bodies were located in a wooded area inside garbage bags in a hollow tree off of Yankee Street, which is west of Fredericktown in Knox County. Mr. Hoffman remains in jail on a kidnapping charge."

When asked how the victims died, Barber said he couldn't answer the question and that it would be for the coroner to determine.

Barber said information obtained from Hoffman early Thursday led investigators to the location of the victims' remains. Barber said the general area had been searched before, but not the specific location of the hollow tree.

Barber said the victims' families were notified Thursday morning that remains had been found and later Thursday afternoon, they were notified that the remains were positively identified.

The sheriff added that crews cut part of the hollow tree in order to recover the bodies with sensitivity and dignity for the victims and the victims' families.

Barber said, "This is a homicide investigation now. What will happen next is the homicide investigation continues and as the investigation progresses, it will be turned over to Knox County Prosecutor John Thatcher's office."

Thatcher said he would not say if there was a confession or the content of any confession obtained from Hoffman.

Hoffman remains on suicide watch at the Knox County Jail on a $1 million bond. Thatcher told NBC 4 that additional charges may be filed and that a hearing is scheduled for Tuesday at 2:30 p.m.

Barber said there was no indication that anyone other than Hoffman was involved in the case.

Barber said the bodies were in the custody of Knox County Coroner Jennifer Ogle and were being taken to the Licking County Coroner's office.

Tina Herrmann, 32, her 10-year-old son, Kody, and Herrman's friend, 41-year-old Stephanie Sprang were reported missing Nov. 10.

Also reported missing was Herrmann's 13-year-old daughter, Sarah Maynard, who was found Sunday in the basement of a home on Columbus Street in Mount Vernon.

The resident of the home, 30-year-old Matthew J. Hoffman, is in custody and charged with kidnapping.

Maynard was found bound and gagged and was taken to an area hospital. By Monday afternoon, she was released from the hospital and reunited with relatives.

Herrmann, her children and Sprang disappeared Wednesday from Herrmann's home in nearby Howard. Barber has said blood indicating an injury had been found in Herrmann's home, where Sprang's vehicle was in the driveway.

Authorities said they believe Sarah Maynard, had been "under the control" of Hoffman since Nov. 10, when she and her brother last attended school, the sheriff said.

Barber said he felt it was safe to say that the deaths of Herrmann, Kody Maynard and Sprang occurred in the Herrmann home.

At one point during the conference, Barber became emotional, saying Sarah is his hero. He added that Sarah was present at the time of the three murders.

Michael Sprang, Stephanie's son, says in this video he's not "angry" & has "no hate towards anybody". He's waiting for LE to obtain all the evidence & for the entire story (did anyone know MH?) to be found out. I'm not sure how they'll ever know the answer to that now.

I honestly don't understand how he can feel this way re: the murder of his mom. It's not the first time I've heard something similar from a victim's family member. I'll never understand it tho. Hopefully, someone can help explain it to me?

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo...nox-county-missing-family-mourns.html?sid=102

5:20 mark

I have to run out for a while but I wanted to say a few things. I'm sorry if this has already been posted about, but I didn't see it, that I recall.

Anyway, did anyone notice in one of the news releases the little dog was found with the victims in the tree? :(

Also, about the unsolved murder in Mt. Vernon, from Dec 20, 2009.........again I don't know if anyone else mentioned any of this. It may seem off-topic, but it COULD be related to the one accused of this crime......

Anyway, from Sept '09 to Dec '09, there was a string of burglaries in the Mt. Vernon area, specifically in the Bladensburg/Martinsburg, area.
http://www.mountvernonnews.com/blog...-martinsburg-area-burglaries-remain-unsolved/

I don't know if they've ever been solved. But then on 12/20/09, in the Bladensburg area, there was a murder, as mentioned earlier, of Jean Davis. She was a kindly retired lady, single, raised in the house she resided in. When she had retired, she took up various hobbies and such, including woodworking.

She was found murdered outside her home on 12/21/09, one bullet to the head. The case, I believe is NOT solved. This occurred just minutes, I believe, from the accused's house where SM was located. Someone that lives in that area could probably be more clear than I.
http://www.mountvernonnews.com/loca...ice-investigating-death-on-dennis-church-road

Jean Davis lived at 24941 Dennis Church Road and the perp in this present case lived at 49 Columbus Road.
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OH - 2 women and 2 children, Apple Valley - 13 year old rescued - Media Links

One similarity in the two cases is, the victim's, (Jean Davis,) vehicle was missing when she was found murdered. It was located shortly after in Licking County.
http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/09/12/21/victims-truck-recovered-in-licking-county

I'm confident if there is a link, LE will find it. It's the same LE spokesman for both this case and Jean Davis murder. "Barker"

Just thought it interesting.
JMHO
fran

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6013462/sarah_maynard_is_epitome_of_bravery.html?cat=17

This says Stephanie last seen on Tuesday; Tina and Kody on Wednesday.

According to investigators, the first time Sarah Maynard saw Matthew Hoffman was on Wednesday inside the King Beach Drive home and she was with her mother, Tina Herrmann, and her brother Kody Maynard. That was also the last day and place Sarah saw her mother and brother.

Barber stated that it may have been Tuesday that Sarah last saw Stephanie Sprang.

Michael Sprang, Stephanie's son, says in this video he's not "angry" & has "no hate towards anybody". He's waiting for LE to obtain all the evidence & for the entire story (did anyone know MH?) to be found out. I'm not sure how they'll ever know the answer to that now.

I honestly don't understand how he can feel this way re: the murder of his mom. Hopefully, someone can explain it to me?

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo...nox-county-missing-family-mourns.html?sid=102

5:20 mark
BBM
Stephanie was a good Mom.

I hated learning the cause of death, somehow it makes this worse, if possible. I hate knowing that there are people who could do this and we can't tell who they are and can't always avoid them, even if we are minding our own business.

As much as I would never want anyone like this to get "off" on an insanity plea, I can't stand to think a person like this is NOT insane either. I do think he is insane but not under the legal definition. But his mental status may be the thing that keeps him from pleading guilty outright and sparing everyone a trial...it probably is the only defense, however lame. I wish he would just admit his crimes and be locked up without parole like John Garnder in California.

Am just feeling sick and horrifed today and so sad for this small town. But it could be any small town, that is what is so scary.

Full press release from the Coroner:

The preliminary autopsies are complete for Tina Herrmann, Stephanie Sprang and Kody Maynard.

The most challenging and heartbreaking thing I have had to do as coroner is discuss these findings with the families of the deceased victims. The truth is often unspeakable, and I sincerely feel for their loss and commend them for their strength and dignity moving forward in this tragedy.

On November 18 (Thursday) , 2010 at approximately 3:30 p.m. the bodies of Kody Maynard (11), Stephanie Sprang (41), and Tina Herrmann (31) were discovered on the Kokosing Lake State Wildlife Area in Knox County, Ohio. The bodies were carefully removed from a hollow tree by investigators where they had been placed inside large plastic garbage bags.

The preliminary autopsy results conducted at the Licking County Coroner's Office indicate:

"On Wednesday November 10th, all three were attacked with a knife and stabbed multiple times in the back and chest causing fatal exsanguination of blood from their chest cavities. Smaller non-fatal wounds were also noted. Pending further tests, there were no signs of sexual assault. Sometime after death, the bodies were dismembered. They were then placed inside large plastic garbage bags and later lowered into the hollow of a large tree. The location of the deaths is pending further tests."

Our entire community has been wounded in this tragedy and words can't describe the sorrow felt by all. However, I have seen this community rise up and challenge itself to greatness since the beginning of this ordeal. Although I am biased, Knox County is one of the warmest, kindest, and most beautiful communities I have ever witnessed, and I firmly believe that no one person can ever steal that away from us.

The final coroner’s report from the Knox Coroner's Office will be completed once the full forensic autopsy report is completed by Dr. Jeff Lee of the Licking County Coroner’s Office - with much appreciation. This usually takes six to eight weeks. I would also like to thank all of law enforcement for their incredible and heroic work on this case. The story of Sarah Maynard's rescue will forever be remembered as an example of extraordinary detective work and bravery. They deserve our continued support and admiration. Our community and the grieving families should know that the Knox County Coroner’s Office will be working diligently to ensure justice is served and the deceased are treated with dignity and respect.

No further information regarding this case will be released at this time.

Dr. J.F. Ogle

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2010/nov/20/knox-county-victims-stabbed-dismembered-ar-297803/

When did he start eatting squirrels? While his girl friend still lived with him? When was he fired from his job?

His boss wasn't impressed with his tree skills. And he had his own equipment! I find that odd - for a person that's been in prison for years to buy his own tree climbing equipment.

He obviously practiced on the squirrels to hone his butchering skills.

Associated Content isn't MSM...it's written by contributors around the country, many of them who aren't reporters. I don't think the article can be considered reliable, as it's taking other articles and interpreting them.

And it says SS "may have been" seen by SM Tuesday. That doesn't mean 100 percent Tuesday. There have been conflicting reports when SS was last seen *in general.*

Besides -- while it has been stated by investigators that SM was in the house when the crime happened, that does not necessarily mean that she saw SS. Nobody has said what specifically happened in the house, and where everybody was when things happened. I don't even want to speculate on what this means, as it makes me sick to think about it.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6013462/sarah_maynard_is_epitome_of_bravery.html?cat=17

This says Stephanie last seen on Tuesday; Tina and Kody on Wednesday.

According to investigators, the first time Sarah Maynard saw Matthew Hoffman was on Wednesday inside the King Beach Drive home and she was with her mother, Tina Herrmann, and her brother Kody Maynard. That was also the last day and place Sarah saw her mother and brother.

Barber stated that it may have been Tuesday that Sarah last saw Stephanie Sprang.

Stephanie was a good Mom.

Her son also said that & I should've included it in my post. Sorry!

ETA..Now the video is gone (local weather replaced it) but a few of his quotes are there towards the bottom of the article.

I still think that if we knew -- or could find out -- when the last time anyone heard the dog barking might be of help to establishing a timeline. Because the houses seem rather far apart (as per a poster above), that might not be a reliable gauge. But it strikes me as something that could be quite a clue, if known.

I hated learning the cause of death, somehow it makes this worse, if possible. I hate knowing that there are people who could do this and we can't tell who they are and can't always avoid them, even if we are minding our own business.

As much as I would never want anyone like this to get "off" on an insanity plea, I can't stand to think a person like this is NOT insane either. I do think he is insane but not under the legal definition. But his mental status may be the thing that keeps him from pleading guilty outright and sparing everyone a trial...it probably is the only defense, however lame. I wish he would just admit his crimes and be locked up without parole like John Garnder in California.

Am just feeling sick and horrifed today and so sad for this small town. But it could be any small town, that is what is so scary.

BBM -

That's what always gets me, too about these heinous evil crimes...vics aren't engaged in risky behaviour, at home - minding their own business, or doing normal things like jogging or walking to school....and little kids - oh, that one really gets me. :(

ETA: and I've been thinking as long as I stayed home I would be 'safe'...so much for that after reading an article where Pat Brown said (FWIW) that home is a greater danger than in public....(this was in context to a story about sexual assaults, but still....)

How a human could ever begin to plan & carryout something so horrible is beyond my comprehension...and how MH could even read a book in his cell is mind boggling....how can he concentrate to read a book? I just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper