GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I remember early on, reading all kinds of accounts of MH being out in the woods all day-even kinda camping out and living in the woods around his town before he got the house.I also thought about the Colo. arson(did you listen to the local DA from out there talking about how extreme the arson was,as a cover up for a burglary?)Also,remember some friend or family member of the victim stating that they felt their home had been ransacked?Maybe MH was into creeping around people's homes and surprised the victims by being there?The whole thing doesn't make any sense(even in crazy killer,criminal world)I know MH forced sex on the 13yr. old victim, but it doesn't seem like the whole crime was a sexually motivated one.I really think he is profoundly mentally ill.

Just read the victims' statements and notice that Kody had that very day said he didn't want to go home because he was afraid he was going to be killed.

Powerful intuition?

Thank you, Kody, for leaving this legacy behind. I will forever trust my 'powerful intuitions' for the remainder of my life, even when others might scoff. They have already protected me many times, but you have put a ribbon and a bow on this gift.

Local (to Knox county) news article with photos from court proceedings
http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/11/01/06/hoffman-pleads-guilty-gets-life-in-prison

On the right side is a area with links to audio, video, and photos. I have linked some of them here.

Video from within court, of guilty pleas. Prosecutor reads half of SM's statement before video ends.
http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/11/01/06/hoffmanguilty.swf

Audio of press conference. 29 min.
http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/11/01/06/thatcher-01-06-11.swf

There are 10 photos from court that day, in the side bar.

I can't listen to the presser yet, but the comments on the Knoxpages.com (linked in my last post, above) indicates it is worth listening to.

He could of been burglarizing homes. I had said early on when they were looking for the victims, that he's probably been in and out of several homes in the area, and watched many people.
And I would of bought the burglar thing if only TH and maybe SS were killed. But to have waited for the children, and then only kidnapped one, instead of killing them all, leans me to think he had other motives for this than just burglary. It's to big of a leap from burglary to dismembering 3 bodies, hauling them 20 miles, and disposing of them in a hollow tree.
The other items found in his home (if it is true) may of just been the stepping stones we have all been discussing, since his CO. arson. Part of his escalation to this current crime.
I still don't think a burglary was all there was to the Herriman home.
But MH being a burglar? I don't doubt it for a second.
He's probably been up to no good for quite a while, likely since his release. We may never know what all he has done.

I want to mention too, in the victim statements in court - I've got to hand it to them all!

What an awesome group of people. When SS's sister told MH " You hold your head up and look at me!" (and it is said he didn't) Had it not been such a terribly sad event, the whole court room should of stood up in applause. I'm so proud of these families! The courage they have shown through all of this is just amazing. I wish I could give each one of them a hug, and tell them thank you for being such incredible examples in the face of an adversity, most of us will never know. I just don't know how they've done it. God bless them all.

Only one other burglary tied to Hoffman

http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/11/01/12/only-one-other-burglary-linked-to-hoffman

On Oct. 13, 2010, Jxxx Nxxx returned home to find his garage had been burglarized.

“I don’t remember everything that was taken,” Nxxx told the News. “My golf clubs were taken. And some of my deer hunting stuff — my bow and my deer stand were taken. There were some personal items taken from the house, some silver and sports memorabilia.”

<snip>

&#8220;Can we say he was involved in any other burglaries?&#8221; said Capt. David Shaffer of the sheriff&#8217;s office. &#8220;No. Can we say he wasn&#8217;t involved in any other burglaries? No. We don&#8217;t have any evidence. There were no other (stolen) items found in Hoffman&#8217;s residence."

Article goes on to describe why other burglaries could possibly be linked.

I tried to pin down where the one known burglary occurred, but could not find a personal residence listed under JN's name (3 properties were listed: 1 being his parents' farm, 1 being a restaurant, 1 another commercial property). JN appears to be a realtor. Not trying to sleuth him... just find out where the burglary took place (note my location). But the news article goes on to talk about the "Beam's Lake area", which they say is south of town. That is more within Hoffman's "home turf", rather than Apple Valley.

So the short of it is, one more can be proven ... probably more that couldn't be.

Yikes!

I can honestly say - I'm not so sure I'd want that stuff back after MH had it in his possession!
It would give me the creeps..............

Beams Lake area is a very nice area. I had a friend that lived back in there.

And not a hard area to get to on foot from his residence.

I actually knew about this burglary weeks ago due to an inside source... and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more. I'm just glad the creep is behind bars for good.

I trust the young survivor who believes Hoffman did not act alone, and as such, I'm still sleuthing.

I found a few interesting things.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1011/16/cnr.07.html
In the above transcript, there is an interview with Ron Fowler, Hoffman's neighbor.

So, you were not aware of his arson conviction from back in Colorado? He never --
FOWLER: No. He told us --
BALDWIN: -- came out and talked about that?
FOWLER: -- it was a robbery gone bad, is what he told us.
BALDWIN: A robbery -- a robbery gone bad.
FOWLER: Yes.​

Very similar to his public defender's statement on his behalf.

Malek said Hoffman did not single out one person or family and attributed the violence to "a random burglary that went terribly, terribly wrong."​
Source: http://www.portclintonnewsherald.co...an-Slayings-resulted-from-burglary-gone-wrong

Also found this piece where a serial killer expert, in talking about Hoffman, says,
Was this a stalking incident? How did he connect with this family? How did he pick his next victim, because the victims are picked. It's not just a random event.
Source: http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=159071

Whether he's a serial killer or not, I agree that it was not a random event.

Also, Kody's father weighs in:
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=120520578016202&id=1838071705

{mod snip}

[this is a public Facebook post, as I am not "friends" with Mr. Maynard -- he has posted this for everyone to see]

You know, I know who he is referring to. I don't know for sure, it just seems so obvious to me, having followed the Topix posts early on. LM posted on Day 1 (used his real name), rather than coming one hour to help in the search for his kids. As time went on, the names became disguised. Then GB and/or his family members showed up. There were accusations flung on both sides. The first televised interview LM did, he was throwing out accusations towards GB, even before he knew who did this. That didn't settle well with me (hinky meter, if you will). So while everyone was mostly pointing to GB as the most likely suspect, I looked in the direction of the man with the biggest mouth. I don't think he will let go of this. I think he just wants to be right.

I live very close to where this happened. The explanation that no one else was involved makes sense to me, especially knowing that he used the bike trail and a bike. Yes, it doesn't seem that burglary was on his mind that day. With LM I can agree. But playing devils advocate, what if the plan was to hide the things in the woods (if you know the terrain, very easy to do) and come and get them later. Or MH's motive wasn't burglary. He's not admitting any other motive. I've always wondered if one of the women ticked him off somehow (rejection), but we'll never ever know for sure. And it doesn't matter, because he is LOCKED UP.

I'm just putting out another viewpoint about "Mr. Maynard". And if Dad can't get off his bandwagon, I don't think SM will either. Throwing accusations towards GB is uncalled for. They couldn't afford their mortgage! How could he hire someone to do that?
MOO

p.s. They found belongings to another burglary victim in his home, and he's suspected in others (posted about it above). Burglary was his "thing", even in Colorado. Was this a "random" burglary? I doubt it. Not in the sense that he was just driving around and thought "oh, let me try there". He planned it, thus not "random". If you could see how that house sit in the neighborhood, you could see how he could have picked it out as a "easy" mark though. Again, MOO.

My personal opinion only -
I don't think MH was hired by anyone. He doesn't seem to be that kind of killer.
It is possible that more may come out about MH sometime in the future, he would seem to be quite a study on psychosis. Someone in the learning field may get to question him at sometime, as has been done with many killers in the past. He has all the ear marks of a psychopath living in his own mind.
I just don't think he has a coherent enough connection with the real world to have plotted or been involved in a murder for hire. And if it had been such, I would have expected all of them to have been murdered. And he possibly would of gone through with the arson of the home as well.

I just will never believe it was a burglary gone wrong.
I think it was more of an evolving psychotic fantasy in his own mind, and he had been watching the home for a while. And it built up to this. It could have started with a rejection issue like you said Ckay. Or an obsession with SM. Or both!
It was not random. Nor just a burglary.
JMHO

My personal opinion only -
I don't think MH was hired by anyone. He doesn't seem to be that kind of killer.
It is possible that more may come out about MH sometime in the future, he would seem to be quite a study on psychosis. Someone in the learning field may get to question him at sometime, as has been done with many killers in the past. He has all the ear marks of a psychopath living in his own mind.
I just don't think he has a coherent enough connection with the real world to have plotted or been involved in a murder for hire. And if it had been such, I would have expected all of them to have been murdered. And he possibly would of gone through with the arson of the home as well.

I just will never believe it was a burglary gone wrong.
I think it was more of an evolving psychotic fantasy in his own mind, and he had been watching the home for a while. And it built up to this. It could have started with a rejection issue like you said Ckay. Or an obsession with SM. Or both!
It was not random. Nor just a burglary.
JMHO

Great post!! ITA!!

Thank you Rhyme
But as I said it is my opinion only. I am not disputing anything the family said. As I do not know any of them, and am 1800 + miles away from the crime.
They know more than I. But MH pretty much falls into a "classic" category. Based on that, I would assume, he acted alone, and acted on his own fantasies. Much the same as Dahmer or any of the other killers that have this type of mental instability. They live in their own world.
And while they are all different, they have basic things in common. MH shows all of this with big waving red flags. It is a shame these things cannot be identified until after the fact. All psychopaths aren't killers but the one's that do go that far, are usually way out on another planet, and totally unpredictable.
Again, prayers and best wishes to the families always. Terrible terrible tragedy. Simply unthinkable.

It's a shame really.
People in positions of study, have tried over and over and over again to pin point it. Both physically & mentally. And while you get the "markers" there is still no positive answer.
Some do totally loose it and some don't , and no one knows why or when. The best that can be done is to identify "potential". But until there is a crime or murder, there isn't much to do.
It isn't illegal to be nuts. Much the same with the tragedy in Tucson lately. While many people knew there was significant problems going on. The end result was a shock.
Hopefully someday there will be an answer.

I didn't know that he had pled guilty and been sentenced already. For that, I am very glad. Death penalty - it would have taken forever and millions of dollars. I feel almost certain that the victims would not have been found if he didn't tell them where they were. Without a doubt. Burglary gone wrong?? That I'm not so sure about. He was after something else, or someone else.

And LE did say that they knew SM was in his house. Still not sure how they knew unless they had been listening for a minute or so.

He's locked up, and hopefully there weren't others before this. I'm not sure about that either. Did he come with a chain saw?? Still more questions...

more disturbing details from this heartless killer.

And I don't buy his story that he was there to only commit a burglary either...his statements do seem to be self-serving.

Knox County killer: 'I did not know a single one of them'
Matthew Hoffman's confession details triple murder, kidnapping

Monday, February 7, 2011 03:26 PM
BY ALLISON MANNING AND HOLLY ZACHARIAH

MOUNT VERNON, Ohio - To save his own life, Matthew Hoffman promised to tell authorities every excruciating detail of how and why he killed three unsuspecting people in November and why he kidnapped a teenage girl.
His four-page confession available for the first time today doesn't make sense of a seemingly senseless crime, but it does offer the first public peek into the mind of an out-of-work ex-con who went from burglar to mass murderer in a matter of hours.
But the bulk of his confession is about the four days he spent at his own home on Columbus Road near downown Mount Vernon with the 13-year-old girl he kidnapped - how he let her play Wii video games, how they watched the Iron Man movies together, how he gave her a copy of the novel Treasure Island to pass the time.

He wrote that he cooked her hamburgers, slept with his arm around her and, in his own twisted mind, appears to believe he showed her some compassion.

much more here

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/02/07/Knox-County-murders.html

Texas Mist - thank you for alerting us to these new details.

There are just no words - disgust and I don't believe him. I just pray that the wee little survivor can find a way to take her power back and make a life where joy can once again exist. That would be the best justice for her mom, brother and friend.
Prayers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back