GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As a local, I'm just too stunned to comment right now. Have to let this sink in and process.

But I'm glad things are being released (hopefully a bit more), so that the community can also process and start to heal. Facts are always better than speculation imo.

May the victims rest in peace, and SM overcome this tragedy.

more disturbing details from this heartless killer.

And I don't buy his story that he was there to only commit a burglary either...his statements do seem to be self-serving.

Knox County killer: 'I did not know a single one of them'
Matthew Hoffman's confession details triple murder, kidnapping

Monday, February 7, 2011 03:26 PM
BY ALLISON MANNING AND HOLLY ZACHARIAH

MOUNT VERNON, Ohio - To save his own life, Matthew Hoffman promised to tell authorities every excruciating detail of how and why he killed three unsuspecting people in November and why he kidnapped a teenage girl.
His four-page confession available for the first time today doesn't make sense of a seemingly senseless crime, but it does offer the first public peek into the mind of an out-of-work ex-con who went from burglar to mass murderer in a matter of hours.
But the bulk of his confession is about the four days he spent at his own home on Columbus Road near downown Mount Vernon with the 13-year-old girl he kidnapped - how he let her play Wii video games, how they watched the Iron Man movies together, how he gave her a copy of the novel Treasure Island to pass the time.

He wrote that he cooked her hamburgers, slept with his arm around her and, in his own twisted mind, appears to believe he showed her some compassion.

much more here

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/02/07/Knox-County-murders.html

p.s. This article also answers the "how did they know for sure that SM was in that house on Sunday" question.

Footprints outside the Herrmann house led investigators to believe that someone, a woman or girl with a size 7.5 shoe, had left the house alive with an attacker.

Was she still?

image-hoffman-walmart-280.jpg

Video from Walmart surveillance cameras showed Hoffman purchasing items he used to conceal the bodies.

hoffmanwalmart02.jpg

Shortly after the slayings, Hoffman said that he drove to nearby Gambier, where he went to collect gas cans from his vehicle and use them to burn down Herrmann's house.

According to Hoffman, a sheriff's deputy almost immediately pulled up and asked for his driver's license and reason for being there. At that point, Hoffman said that he could not burn down Herrmann's house and returned to his home where he built a campfire outside his house, drank a bottle of wine and burned his shoes.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo...thew-hoffman-slayings-confession.html?sid=102

I am not buying the burglary gone bad, either. You don't watch a house overnight just to burglarize it unless you know there is something there that you want. I think what he wanted was the girl. He is a liar and I can't understand why the prosecutor believes him.

It said that they surprised him when he only had been there an hour. AN HOUR????!!! He had no car, slept in the woods, it doesn't take that long to grab stuff you're stealing and go. I'm calling BS on this as well.

But, be that as it may, he's not getting out of prison and they aren't coming back to life. Sad, sad, sad.

In the confession linked above, he said he "used garbage bags from within the house."

But don't these videos contradict this? Right?

I've read that he began by using the trash bags in the house, but they were too small and thin so he purchased heavy-duty ones at Wal-Mart.

The confession was just chilling, and makes me feel even worse for SM....she really did think her family was alive and she'd see them again. Imagine the pain.

Following the timeline, and knowing about the wellness checks - he *almost* got by with burning the house. Going back to get gas cans where TH's truck was parked, is what put him on LE's radar. He was there to go back and burn the house after dark. Had it not been for the DQ manager discovering the "scene", he could still be walking around free *shivers*

more disturbing details from this heartless killer.

And I don't buy his story that he was there to only commit a burglary either...his statements do seem to be self-serving.

Knox County killer: 'I did not know a single one of them'
Matthew Hoffman's confession details triple murder, kidnapping

Monday, February 7, 2011 03:26 PM
BY ALLISON MANNING AND HOLLY ZACHARIAH

MOUNT VERNON, Ohio - To save his own life, Matthew Hoffman promised to tell authorities every excruciating detail of how and why he killed three unsuspecting people in November and why he kidnapped a teenage girl.
His four-page confession available for the first time today doesn't make sense of a seemingly senseless crime, but it does offer the first public peek into the mind of an out-of-work ex-con who went from burglar to mass murderer in a matter of hours.
But the bulk of his confession is about the four days he spent at his own home on Columbus Road near downown Mount Vernon with the 13-year-old girl he kidnapped - how he let her play Wii video games, how they watched the Iron Man movies together, how he gave her a copy of the novel Treasure Island to pass the time.

He wrote that he cooked her hamburgers, slept with his arm around her and, in his own twisted mind, appears to believe he showed her some compassion.

much more here

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/02/07/Knox-County-murders.html

Looking at what he said and in reference to the rape, he is a strange mix.

Looks like a cross between a power rapist and a power reassurance rapist. But both are usually nonfatal.
http://www1.csbsju.edu/uspp/CrimPsych/cpsg-5.htm

I do believe that he sat in the woods and watched the home. And I believe he was making plans at that time. What to do if this happened and what to do if that happened...... It would only make sense that he would consider what he would do if someone came back to the home while he was there. So I don't believe he reacted totally out of surprise.

Says he watched the home, he entered the home and was there for an hour before the women came home. (I thought most burglars were anxious to get in and out, to reduce chances of detection.) I have to wonder what he was waiting on. Was he waiting on the girl to come home? He mentioned being excited about being in the home alone. I also wonder how much fantasy was incorporated in this burglary? Did he fantasize about being there with his own 'fantasy' family? Did the girl get incorporated into that fantasy?

Looking at what he said and in reference to the rape, he is a strange mix.

Looks like a cross between a power rapist and a power reassurance rapist. But both are usually nonfatal.
http://www1.csbsju.edu/uspp/CrimPsych/cpsg-5.htm

I do believe that he sat in the woods and watched the home. And I believe he was making plans at that time. What to do if this happened and what to do if that happened...... It would only make sense that he would consider what he would do if someone came back to the home while he was there. So I don't believe he reacted totally out of surprise.

Says he watched the home, he entered the home and was there for an hour before the women came home. (I thought most burglars were anxious to get in and out, to reduce chances of detection.) I have to wonder what he was waiting on. Was he waiting on the girl to come home? He mentioned being excited about being in the home alone. I also wonder how much fantasy was incorporated in this burglary? Did he fantasize about being there with his own 'fantasy' family? Did the girl get incorporated into that fantasy?

First and foremost, he is a psychopath and anything he says will be wrapped around his distorted and evil view of the world. I think the "robbery" was his excuse and not his true motive. He had plenty of time to get out and certainly did not have to encounter the children. His "couldn't bring himself to kill her" didn't extend to the equally young and vulnerable little boy that he had no trouble murdering. I am sure he thinks he was being quite magnanimous feeding the little girl and sparing her life and is blind to the horror and abuse he inflicted on her. I think the girl was the target. Sick, sick man. Sad for this family to have caught the attention of a madman.

First and foremost, he is a psychopath and anything he says will be wrapped around his distorted and evil view of the world. I think the "robbery" was his excuse and not his true motive. He had plenty of time to get out and certainly did not have to encounter the children. His "couldn't bring himself to kill her" didn't extend to the equally young and vulnerable little boy that he had no trouble murdering. I am sure he thinks he was being quite magnanimous feeding the little girl and sparing her life and is blind to the horror and abuse he inflicted on her. I think the girl was the target. Sick, sick man. Sad for this family to have caught the attention of a madman.

Yeah he is sick. He strongly reminds me of Duncan.

But I think his words describe how he sees himself.... He sees himself as a 'lover' not a fighter. But realistically he isn't either. He didn't have a girlfriend so he wasn't a lover. And he fought unarmed women and children, so I wouldn't call him a true fighter.

Obviously he isn't realistic, as he doesn't mention the girl having any fear, why he had to restrain her, any attempts she may have made to protect or defend herself. He also doesn't mention the intimidation factor just in the fact that she had to have been aware that he had murdered at least some of her family even if she really didn't see the murders. There had to have been sounds, blood, and wrapped remains that he carried out of the house that would have told her bad things had happened.

But it is interesting that he describes himself as being like a power rapist, but even in his own story it contained elements of the power reassurance rapist.
And yeah, I don't think he was completely there for a burglary. But I do think that is what he told himself if that makes any sense.

The squirrels and all those leaves on the floor and in bags must have freaked the police out...they would have sent me backing out the door!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back