OH OH - William 'Bill' Comeans, 14, Columbus, 7 Jan 1980 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I am going to finish this as best I can then step back and think about it a bit while I get to some of the things I put off today. This case has held my brain in a vice grip for days. I can't even imagine what it must be like to have it haunt you for 34 years and counting. In all of this, though, there is one thing I am 100% sure of. I believe Bill knew he was loved by his family.

Jan. 7, 1980

The third and final attack on Bill remains the most perplexing of the three to me, mainly due the narrow window of opportunity. Ironically, of the three attacks, this is the one that cannot involve fabrication on Bill’s part so we know it had to happen this way! But I wonder if perhaps the window of opportunity was a little bit wider than what we have been imagining.

In post 229 (link), KatCo states that she was sharing in her friend’s family birthday celebration “after dinner time, on a school day.” Now dinner time can vary pretty widely from family to family — at least from 5 to 7:30 or 8. But maybe the clue is in one of KatCo's later posts, post 248 (link), when she says Bill and the C parents were planning to go the mall that evening. Around here in those days, malls shut down at 9 PM. At some point in the evening, it must have become clear that it was too late to make the trip, but maybe no one was paying very close attention to the clock or saw missing the mall as a big deal.

I am going to guess that Bill’s father had to start working on the car as early as 7 or 7:30 if he thought there was a chance they could still make the trip. Also, I think this presents a wide enough window (say 7:30 to 8:30) for Bill to bring his father coffee twice in that interval. The night actually sounds perfect in its normalcy up until that point -- everyone close by, doing their own thing. I’m guessing Bill didn’t mind the excuse to do nothing but sit around and wait.

Here are my thoughts at this point about how the abduction may have occurred:

• As I have said in other posts, I think one way a potential predator may been able to spirit Bill away was to surreptitiously lace Bill’s ice cream (left unattended on the porch while Bill brought his father coffee?) with valium to make him more compliant. Is this a stretch? It would be a bold move on the part of any predator, but particularly one whose reputation would be destroyed if he were caught. But it was dark, as we know. There was a waning gibbous moon that night (75% full), as Rosemadderlake has pointed out, but the moon did not rise until 10:39 PM.

• January 7 was a Monday. Around here, kids would have headed back to school after the Christmas holidays by Jan. 2. If that was the case here too, and the predator had seen Bill at school for the last five weekdays or so, maybe that broke his resolve/fed his attraction for the youth. Like an addict in need of a fix, it might make a man take unusual risks.

• I’m swinging widely here because we don’t know who this predator could be. Could it be an advisor in one of Bill’s extracurricular activities that he didn’t see that frequently? Could it be someone not from school, but who Bill had an appointment, or a chance encounter, with that day? If you can see this more clearly than I am able to at this point, please weigh in.

• In any case, I wonder if the predator had a chance that day to “invite” Bill for another visit to his home. If Bill resisted this, the predator may have threatened him. What if the threat was telling his family about their “relationship”? Would that have been enough to make Bill compliant — particularly if after he finished his ice cream he was starting to feel the effects of the valium? (My daughter, a medical resident in psychiatry, tells me it would take only 10-15 minutes for him to feel the first effects.) How would Bill have reacted if this man boldly approached him on the porch, seemingly to make good on a threat he made earlier?

• IMO, this strange abduction argues quite forcibly for a close connection to the C home on Maple Drive. The garage of a neighbor away on vacation? I do not believe this predator would have walked Bill very far — (a) because the increasing effect of the drug would have made Bill hard to manage, and (b) because of the increased opportunity for Bill to call out for help or for the two of them to be seen. Also, even if the predator used a nearby garage, how would he then get Bill’s drugged, unconscious body to the end of Buena Vista less than an hour later (assuming the abduction took place at 8:45)? I believe very strongly that these physical challenges argue for a vehicle. Would it have been possible for the attacker and Bill to slip through the neighbor’s backyard through a breach in the fence, then through a yard facing Buena Vista? Maybe, just maybe, the predator left a vehicle there.

• What happened next? Did they go to the predator’s home? Did they have TIME? Much depends on exactly where he lived. I suppose, worst case, it would only be a few minutes by car, with the destination of the man’s garage, but the risk of being seen forcing or dragging Bill from the car to the garage would have been great. Also, the choice of ligature in this attack makes me think the man used what was at hand to achieve his ends, rather than the tools in his shed. I favor a car or van as the final crime scene, but his own garage is still possible.

• Was murder the end goal this time? If sexual gratification was the motive, as I suspect, then I doubt it. But the combination of (a) increased risk, (b) the predator’s fear that Bill was becoming less pliant as a victim, and (c) the desperation of his sickness could have made him more impatient and aggressive. I think it’s possible that if he had not choked Bill so intensely (I remember that the coroner's report said Bill had internal injuries), he would have let Bill go like he had the last two times. On the other hand, if the predator thought Bill would break his silence, he could have set out to put a stop to that. It's impossible to guess what was in such a man's mind, but I do not for one second think Bill stood up to him.

• How quickly did the predator realize what he had done? Did he think he left Bill alive at the dead end near the tracks? Ironically, it may have been Bill’s fabrications of being left for dead in ditches after the two prior attacks that made it difficult for LE to imagine that someone had done just that to him this time.

This is not a perfect picture of possibility. I welcome the thoughts of my fellow posters on the possibilities inherent in this final event. Psychologically, the HUGE risk taken in the abduction and the short timeframe from start to finish suggest a desperate man to me. Perhaps the predator simply felt he could not risk having Bill as living proof of the heinous crimes he committed. In any case, he got lucky this night -- as he got away unseen.

I think there’s a good chance this predator moved from the neighborhood a short while after Bill’s murder. In addition to vehicle and prescription records, past real estate transactions might help reveal his identity -- if in fact he owned his home. I remember KatCo saying in post 247 (link) your mother kept a record of the license plate numbers your mother and father recorded when they went looking for the car Bill described. I sure hope you still have them and that LE gets a second chance to follow those leads.

Once again I fully apologize for the bluntness and detail of this potential portrait. I needed to see if the scenario made sense, and if it helps generate any new leads -- or helps someone else put their finger on a more sensible scenario -- it will have been worth every minute I put into it.

He never made any mention of what attackers may have said to him in either of the first two events. After the second attack, when he was missing for hours, he finally knocked on the front door, I looked out and it was him. It was wet, and possibly rainy outside that night, but his clothes were dry. I asked him and he said he had been tossed under a large bush. Theories on that aspect?
Bob, in all honesty, that sounds like the excuse of a 14-year-old who doesn't want to admit that he was indoors, because he'd then be required to tell where he was, and with whom. So he thought he could get away with a story of being attacked outdoors in a public location. He just didn't realize how obvious his dry clothes would be on a rainy night.

It's difficult for me to type that, but I'd be doing you a disservice if I wasn't honest. Regardless, it makes Bill no less a victim in my eyes. I don't believe he harmed himself. And I do believe there was an adult involved. Or to be more precise, an adult and another teenage boy.

I am reading your theories, while not always contributing, I am considering all that is being said. I appreciate your ideas, and the time spent to formulate them. You have made me consider things I had not considered before. Predator, yes I believe so. Held captive on one or all of these events, quite possibly. Did he know the perpetrator, probably. I always felt Bill was holding back for any number of reasons. I begged him over and over to tell me anything at all that he might be holding back. He never said anything beyond very general descriptions. Nothing.

Reinforces that the Perp must have had a heavy threat hanging over Bill's head.

Bob, in all honesty, that sounds like the excuse of a 14-year-old who doesn't want to admit that he was indoors, because he'd then be required to tell where he was, and with whom. So he thought he could get away with a story of being attacked outdoors in a public location. He just didn't realize how obvious his dry clothes would be on a rainy night.

It's difficult for me to type that, but I'd be doing you a disservice if I wasn't honest. Regardless, it makes Bill no less a victim in my eyes. I don't believe he harmed himself. And I do believe there was an adult involved. Or to be more precise, an adult and another teenage boy.

If an adult and another teenage boy were involved, maybe this boy (or antoher one) was used to lure BC away from his home. I don't think the adult turned up in front of a house where many persons where at home at that time.
I've been thinking how this could have been done. I do think a car was involved, must have been. Maybe a van, like the neighbour claimed later.

I've made a lot of ice cream by hand and it is very difficult to whisk something in once it is frozen. You need a lot of force to stir something in and then you have to put the mixture together again. And make it look like nothing has happened. It is very different from lacing a drink. I think this tiny part of the theory by GBMG is unlikely because of the risks and how could the perp know that the bowl of ice cream would be left on the porch? and have the valium ready? Nor could the perp could count on BC 1. returning and 2. eating the ice cream 3. while remaining outside 4. without company.

When I'm thinking of Bill, I feel so sad and so enraged that someone convinced him deep down that his parents would no longer love him if they knew just THAT about him. (Maybe there were pictures?) Would he have lived, Bill would have understood over time that this was not the case but he never got the chance.

Hugs to everybody who needs them.

Hey everyone. I put together a video/timeline of the murder and two prior attacks in the hope it keeps it fresh and spreads the word. I used all the concrete evidence from this thread for the timeline. Its up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs-7KPr4H20&feature=youtu.be

There is some error in the dialog of the video. And the sketch drawings you have posted in the video, lead us to believe those are actual, which they are not, Bill never gave a description of his attackers. I would hate for someone to be looking for those faces.

Tho the video may be very well intentioned, in all honesty, I consider it quite misleading in the goal of a truly successful outcome of this investigation.

Respectfully, I see far too many inaccuracies and information shown, which a viewer would naturally assume as highly accurate detailed fact, when in fact most of the "info pieces" are vague at best and only "approximate".

Lastly, and I'm sure the family will agree. Bill was not "alive" when he was found. The 11 PM declaration of death is a mere formality, Bill died much before 11 PM. Additionally... You do not give CPR to anyone that is alive, with any detectable pulse (even faint) or breath (however slight). You give CPR to a deceased person. I have performed it several times. I regret to say, but I have also tasted the "death vomit" for several days, as Bob did.

What if the perps threatend him with that they have his gf and would do sth to her, if he doesn't follow them inconspicuously? Maybe there was a situation like that (eventually one perp claimed the other one was "taking care of his gf", maybe both had been there and threatend to harm his family) ,which made him feel forced to "accompany" them, in order to avoid any other one harmed. IDK, it's just sth that came to my mind, while I was thinking about possible scenarios.

If this was brought up already, sorry, I'm still reading through the pages. :)

• January 7 was a Monday. Around here, kids would have headed back to school after the Christmas holidays by Jan. 2. If that was the case here too, and the predator had seen Bill at school for the last five weekdays or so, maybe that broke his resolve/fed his attraction for the youth. Like an addict in need of a fix, it might make a man take unusual risks.

Wow, GBMG! You are really on a roll and I'm right with you with this new theory. It explains a lot of the "unexplainables." I've snipped just this bit of your post to say that I believe the 7th was the first day back after Winter Break. Christmas fell on a Tuesday that year and if kids were given the typical two weeks off for break, the last day of school would have been the 21st with the 7th being the first day back.

I appreciate the time and effort in putting together the latest video. However, I too agree that the composite sketches should not be on the video as they don't exist and were never done.

Wow, GBMG! You are really on a roll and I'm right with you with this new theory. It explains a lot of the "unexplainables." I've snipped just this bit of your post to say that I believe the 7th was the first day back after Winter Break. Christmas fell on a Tuesday that year and if kids were given the typical two weeks off for break, the last day of school would have been the 21st with the 7th being the first day back.

Yes, it looks like these dates are all 'first day back' after school closing.

Sept 5 1979 – Wednesday - first day of school after Labor Day (Sept 3)
Oct 22 1979 – Monday - first day back after ‘teacher’s conference’, (3rd week Oct.)
Jan 7 1980 - Monday - first day of school after Christmas break

Here is the current school district calendar – there is no school (Friday) 3rd week Oct.
http://www.swcs.us/Home/Calendars.htm#High

Reference 1979 calendar
http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=1979&country=1

Yes, it looks like these dates are all 'first day back' after school closing.

Sept 5 1979 – Wednesday - first day of school after Labor Day (Sept 3)
Oct 22 1979 – Monday - first day back after ‘teacher’s conference’, (3rd week Oct.)
Jan 7 1980 - Monday - first day of school after Christmas break

Here is the current school district calendar – there is no school (Friday) 3rd week Oct.
http://www.swcs.us/Home/Calendars.htm#High

Reference 1979 calendar
http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=1979&country=1

Thank you both for the date info ... :)

Re the October date, I believe that's the PD day that Nero mentioned in an earlier post for the Columbus district. Same at SWCS I see (must be a state conference). I do wonder though if a three-day weekend would have the same effect as summer break and christmas holiday.

Rose, when I asked earlier whether 9/5 was the first day of school, KatCo confirmed that Ohio schools started the school year the week before labor day.

That said, the proximity to a recent return is an interesting commonality.

Thank you both for the date info ... :)

Re the October date, I believe that's the PD day that Nero mentioned in an earlier post for the Columbus district. Same at SWCS I see (must be a state conference). I do wonder though if a three-day weekend would have the same effect as summer break and christmas holiday.

Rose, when I asked earlier whether 9/5 was the first day of school, KatCo confirmed that Ohio schools started the school year the week before labor day.

That said, the proximity to a recent return is an interesting commonality.

Thanks GBMG- I should have double checked with the current calendar. So, if the first event happened a week after school began - someone could have staked out the lockers.

It makes me wonder if something was happening at school as well.

Hey. No probs. I removed that video now. In hindsight, your 100% correct about those errors too! Its ok, there was minimal views on it, probably just you guys from my above post. Its completely removed and i deleted it from my hard drive too.

Murkmanz, Once again, you are obviously talented at putting together video, and I appreciate your work. I do appreciate you working with us all. Thank you.

Wow, a lot of new theories have come up in the couple of days I've been away and I feel some of them are VERY likely. You've come up with some things that never even occurred to me and they make a lot of sense.

First of all, the one attacker theory. Makes way more sense than two people in cahoots together and two people keeping a secret. Plus, two people stalking a young man through the neighborhood would be way more noticeable than one.

The incidents taking place indoors somewhere. This could have been an adult on his paper route, or a teacher/authority figure. They may have invited him in, offered him a soda laced with the valium, then carried out some type of molestation involving choking. This would have been the first encounter, and I am not at all convinced Bill was a willing participant in any way, which may have led to him feeling shame, embarrassed, and dirty, and wanting to cover up the details of what actually happened. For instance, if he went into a trusted adult's home by invitation, he may have felt gullible afterwards and blamed himself, which would lead to possibly hiding the truth. This would explain the lie detector test showing deception.
Keeping silent out of shame or fear makes a lot of sense. Shame, especially if he had nothing but "straight" sexual feelings but had been molested by a male. I was a high school student in the 80s and in my small town nobody would have "come out" much less admitted to being the victim of a homosexual encounter, especially if you were not homosexual. Also, it had not occurred to me that Bill may have written the locker notes himself. If he did, it could have been a way of diverting people's thoughts of him being singled out in particular, by threatening others with the same treatment. Another theory on the locker notes would be if Bill's attacker was a teacher or member of the school staff, who would have regular access to lockers before and after school and during school events when he would not have been observed slipping the notes in.

The second incident may have taken place at the same location as the first, with Bill being shamed or forced into the situation. The person could have threatened Bill's family for example, or held something else over his head. At Bill's age, the simple threat of saying you were going to tell he entered into the activities consensually would probably be enough to keep him quiet. Also, if the incident took place in someone's home, it explains why Bill's clothing wasn't wet even though it had rained, and the lack of evidence of a struggle at the scene.

On the third attack, I am leaning toward this person intending to kill Bill. Let's say the person was employed by the school, for example. Maybe Bill told him he intended to tell the truth about what was happening, regardless of this person's threats. So now this person needs to silence him. He could have come to Bill's house and threatened him somehow, even pulled a knife or gun and threatened to go inside and kill Bill's family if he didn't get in the car with him. How does he then administer the valium? Well, I'm iffy on this one. If valium had been part of the regular procedure the first two times, maybe it was an accepted part of the assault in that Bill was willing to take it to make the experience less traumatic. He may have known the two previous choking incidents were sexual in nature and not intended to kill him, so I think it's unlikely he expected to be killed in this third attack. He may have taken the valium voluntarily all three times for whatever reason. Or, if the person who killed him had access to medical supplies, he may have injected Bill somehow. Then I think this time he intentionally killed Bill, either in his car or at the scene where Bill was found. I believe he knew Bill was dead when he left him there.

So, in light of all the great new theories you guys have come up with, I think you may be hot on the trail to an answer. One adult attacker whom Bill knew, or at least had seen around, who possibly threatened Bill or held something over his head, had access to valium in either pill or injectable form, and may or may not have owned an aqua car. I would be looking hard at teachers, school staff, authority figures, and grown males on Bill's paper route. It would be good to know if any teachers or school staff suddenly quit or transferred to another location or whether any male in the general neighborhood suddenly moved away. After all these years I'm not sure how easy it would be to find all this out, or whether the perpetrator is even still alive, but I think all of you are doing a great job and I definitely believe this is somehow solvable even after all these years.

The note that read '
Bill has 3 months to live. Ps. Make the most of it'

That was sent around Sept/November? So, who ever wrote those notes carried out their promise in January, 3 months later..

That could suggest that the two previous assaults were not intended to kill.

Now, the first assault was definitely at night time. His would be killer/s had to have been following him. They waited until he took a shortcut into the wooded secluded area where they pounced on him. He/they came 'equipped' with an inner tube and plastic bag. So obvious pre meditation and planning.
They brazenly left a note
He was warned
Who exactly was that note intended for? The police? What was the purpose of that note? Because they didnt kill him... That sick note would make sense to be left there beside a dead Bill because it would definitely be found. But Bill survived and left.
The attackers also left their 'strangulation' tools at the scene (Inner tube, Bag) I know forensics was not very advanced back then, but, surely the attackers would know that leaving the weapons could incriminate them. Are they plain stupid unorginized kids? Or were they wearing gloves to avoid finger prints. Or was it an highly organized adult who knew how to avoid detection regarding Forensics.
Were the attacker/s someone Bill would deliver newspaper's too daily? Thus giving them the advantage of knowing when they could follow and attack him?

The second attack. Again, Bill was on his paper route. Again, he claims he was attacked from behind by two unknown assailants. This time however, he is not in a secluded area like attack number 1. This time, there was no 'note' left behind nor was the weapon (Rope) This leads me to believe the scene Bill claims to have been attacked at, was not the actual crime scene of the strangulation/serious assault.

He was strangled unconscious and was 'somewhere' for 5-6 hours. If its true that the attackers came in a car, it makes sense they would kidnap him by way of car and take him away. Thus leaving his clothes dry on that rainy/wet evening.
It does sound to me, that with this assault Bill was not being entirely truthful. As already pointed out, that exact location Bill claims to have been accosted, it would be very risky for the attackers to try to strangle him on the spot in plain view of surrounding houses.
It's seems more likely they kidnapped him, perhaps they got out and wrapped the rope around his neck and dragged him into the car. That kinda scenario would for sure need at least 'two' assailants.
If so, then where did they keep him??? At what point did they strangle him unconscious? (He had to have been able to give a description at this point)
According to their 'notes' he was not to be killed until the 3 months mark.

The final attack/murder. It had nothing to do with his paper round. Maybe they (attackers) realised over the 7 weeks that Bill was no longer delivering papers and out of frustration/determination they came for him where they knew he would be, at home.

Like the first attack, Bill is found in a secluded area, also, the weapons are left at the scene. The knife, and the weapon used for strangulation, the scarf. Again, how brazen can the killers get?? To leave a knife at the scene?? Also this 'beer bottle' that is mentioned in one of the newspaper articles, did they really drink that beer and leave that there too? Or is that a red herring? This attack/murder does seem to match up with the first attack.

Attack 2 does not fit the criteria as described by Bill and that is obviously why he failed to impress with the Polygraph.

On a side not, im very interested to see what Forensics make of the 'Bodily fluids' found on the scarf and whether the Knife bore any finger prints.

Sorry, i might be going around in circles now, apologies if im irritating anyone. I havent been able to stop thinking about Bill and his family for weeks.

Dogperson - I like your theory. It would also fit with an older boy giving a menacing stare. Maybe that was the older boy who was (would be) the accomplice. It was a "you'd better keep my secret stare".

The biggest hole I can poke in that theory is sexual predators tend to pick out boys who are looking for a male role model, sometimes referred to as "throwaway kids". They groom them before taking advantage of them. Bill had just promoted from junior high to high school. I don't know that a teacher or coach would have had time to do the necessary grooming. Plus, it sounds like Bill had a strong family. He does not fit the typcial profile.

How can someone attack three times but be completely invisible to us all. No one is that good, are they? If this is solved are we going to say, it was right there looking us in the face and we missed it all these years?

Like opening a twitter account for Bill. Twitter's been around for awhile and all of a sudden Katco sees it as an opportunity, and it is.

Ice cream was partially eaten in the house, put in freezer to go get sister, and never returned for it. It was not eaten outside. (to answer previous question)

Just thinking out loud here.

Some of the theories presented are certainly reasonable and possible. Nothing yet to take them beyond theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aqfina2000