Ohio: East Palestine Train Derailment, Risk of Explosion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is a lot of disinformation being disseminated via Twitter and other sources. Please check your sources and refer to what emergency services in the area are advising, not random websites.

Here's the Material Safety Data Sheet for Phosgene gas.

Last edited:

DeWine claims the air is safe and people can get by with drinking bottled water.

No offense, but he's not qualified to make that statement. Maybe the air is somewhat safe outdoors, in a couple areas around the town, but I doubt they've tested what the air is like inside people's homes or cars, businesses, where the toxic fumes were allowed to settle and seep into walls, attics, heating systems, etc.

DeWine says he's spoken to the Ohio National Guard leader who arrested the reporter. Some things never change, especially the Ohio National Guard. JMO

Last edited:

How many people get their water from the Ohio River?​

Utilities along the Ohio River are actively monitoring their water supplies.

The 981-mile long Ohio River, which flows through and borders six states, is the source of drinking water for more than five million people, according to the Ohio River Foundation.

More than 25 million people, almost 10% of the US population, live in the Ohio River Basin.

Cincinnati's water utility, for example, is collecting samples of the Ohio River and analyzing them for any "potential threat." Louisville and Evansville, Indiana, are also monitoring their intake from the Ohio River.

Kurt Rhoads, an engineering professor at Case Western Reserve University, said surface water contamination will likely only be a problem for a short period of time. But any effects on groundwater will unfold over a longer term, Rhoads said, and could present a problem for East Palestine residents with private wells.

Other parts of Ohio could also feel the consequences of groundwater contamination.

"We've put a lot of effort and money into making certain this infrastructure works. Now, people who are not on municipal supplies, they have their own wells, etc. and they're nearby, that's something different altogether," said David Stradling, director of Environmental Studies at the University of Cincinnati.

Some of the water in East Palestine eventually makes its way into the Great Miami River in southwest Ohio, Stradling said. Lying underneath the river is a massive aquifer, appropriately named the Great Miami Buried Valley Aquifer. The aquifer is the sole source of drinking water for the city of Dayton, according to the city's website. Cincinnati also draws from it.

Stradling said authorities must monitor the aquifer for chemicals from the derailment site.

"It's not extraordinarily deep. There would be pretty good interchange between surface water and aquifer," he said.

Pretty sure they're entitled to whatever they need, living that close. Call Sen. Sherrod Brown's local office and ask them where your family can get help. Call the local offices and ask for constituent services - then tell them what happened to yr family. They know about the derailment and probably want to hear from locals who need help.

Thank you so much!

In its letter to [Norfolk Southern], EPA listed the three other chemicals involved in the derailment: ethylhexyl acrylate, which can cause burning on the skin and in the eyes, coughing and shortness of breath; isobutylene, which can make people dizzy and drowsy; and ethylene glycol monobutyl ether which can cause coughing, dizziness, drowsiness, headaches, nausea, and weakness if inhaled.

Ratner told the magazine that when his family returned to the house, they immediately began to deep clean but said 'all those chemicals that burned create byproducts, like hydrochloric acid, in the form of a film that's been left on the surfaces of our homes.'

DeWine claims the air is safe and people can get by with drinking bottled water.

No offense, but he's not qualified to make that statement. Maybe the air is somewhat safe outdoors, in a couple areas around the town, but I doubt they've tested what the air is like inside people's homes or cars, businesses, where the toxic fumes were allowed to settle and seep into walls, attics, heating systems, etc.

DeWine says he's spoken to the Ohio National Guard leader who arrested the reporter. Some things never change, especially the Ohio National Guard. JMO

February 14 EPA statement

(snip) "...Since the fire went out on February 8, EPA air monitoring has not detected any levels of health concern in the community that are attributed to the train derailment. Air monitoring data was provided to state health agencies on February 8 for review prior to the state’s decision to lift the evacuation.

As of February 14, EPA has assisted with the screening of 396 homes under a voluntary screening program offered to residents, and no detections of vinyl chloride or hydrogen chloride were identified. 65 additional homes are scheduled for today. We are continuing to conduct 24/7 air-monitoring to ensure the health and safety of residents..." (end snip)

WKBN EPA releases results of East Palestine home screened for chemicals

(snip) "...The EPA says levels “above a minimal risk level are not necessarily harmful; the potential for harm depends on how high the levels were and how long the exposure lasted, along with personal traits and habits.”

Community air monitoring is also continuing and operating 24 hours a day. According to the EPA, “air monitoring since the fire went out has not detected any levels of concern in the community that can be attributed to the incident at this time."

It does say that “there have been some exceedances of PM2.5 screening values, but those are both upwind and downwind of the derailment site so likely had another cause.” ..." (end snip)

This is the information provided to us. We can choose to either believe the US EPA or believe the US EPA is lying to everyone. They have said since the beginning that they have not detected any actionable levels of chemicals in the air, and really, the US EPA has been on the ground in East Palestine since the derailment, which is somewhat encouraging (I assume that they'd monitor from a distance if they themselves had strong concerns).

On animals:

Animals Sick, Dying Following Derailment Are 'Suspect'

Summary: Ohio Dept of Natural Resources stated on Tuesday that they don't have any evidence of any nonaquatic species dying as a result of the derailment/controlled release. Columbiana County Humane Society has received reports from 20+ families with concerns over their pets as of this past Monday - reports have come from as far as 7 miles outside the evacuation zone.

MOO - at any rate, livestock are not "dying in droves," as has been reported by unofficial (read: social media, r*ddit) sources online, at least at this point. Trust me when I say that farmers (or homesteader-types, lots of those around here) would not be covering that up if it were to happen to their animals. There are enough issues involved here, I wish people didn't feel like they had to invent more for the sake of sensationalism.

Also MOO - It will be interesting, going forward, from an agricultural perspective. We're 20 miles away, upwind/upstream, but I imagine herd health will soon involve some sort of screen for toxicity within the cows. Soil sampling will have to include testing for the chemicals released. Personally, this tips the deck for me in regards to planting a garden this spring - I was already on the fence due to impending construction at our farm and expecting a baby this summer, but now I think I'll just plant a bunch of sunflowers and call it good.

In its letter to [Norfolk Southern], EPA listed the three other chemicals involved in the derailment: ethylhexyl acrylate, which can causeburning on the skin and in the eyes, coughing and shortness of breath; isobutylene, which can make people dizzy and drowsy; and ethylene glycol monobutyl ether which can cause coughing, dizziness, drowsiness, headaches, nausea, and weakness if inhaled.
All of these are also probable carcinogens, per the fact sheets at the links.

JMO, this toxic chemical disaster was so large and so close to residential areas that I don't think experts have enough information about how extensive the damage is or how long it will linger.

If Gov DeWine declares East Palestine a disaster area, the state will qualify for federal disaster relief funds to help the residents and businesses affected. That would certainly be faster than waiting for Norfolk Southern RR to do something.

Last edited:

JMO, this toxic chemical disaster was so large and so close to residential areas that I don't think experts have enough information about how extensive the damage is or how long it will linger.

If Gov DeWine declares East Palestine a disaster area, the state will qualify for federal disaster relief funds to help the residents and businesses affected. That would certainly be faster than waiting for Norfolk Southern RR to do something.
BBM
I question why that hasn't already been done.

Pretty sure they're entitled to whatever they need, living that close. Call Sen. Sherrod Brown's local office and ask them where your family can get help. Call the local offices and ask for constituent services - then tell them what happened to yr family. They know about the derailment and probably want to hear from locals who need help.

It looks like the Federal Emergency Management Agency has declined Ohio's request to assist.

It looks like the Federal Emergency Management Agency has declined Ohio's request to assist.
That surprised me but it sounds like since the homes are intact they are not eligible for FEMA assistance. I read somewhere they are now looking for help from the CDC and the dept of Health and Human services.

Did y'all see that there is another Norfolk Southern train derailment today near Detroit? I'll see if I can find a link as I heard it broadcast while in the car.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back