OK - Athena Brownfield, 4, found deceased, Cyril, 10 Jan 2023 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Rest gently and fly with the angels, sweet Athena !

Hoping they find her remains soon and am thankful she's not in water as more evidence will be preserved.

I wish we had a crying emoji here ...it would be so appropriate for these threads !
Agreed on the crying emoji.
A sick emoji would be appropriate, too.
So were they setting up a 'neglect defense' to cover the child murder? Yes we are terribly neglectful to leave them alone but some scary stranger must have came along and kidnap her.
it looks like your guess is most likely correct. Moo
I can’t conceive of anyone- much less a parent- being so callous!
This is abhorrent and beyond!!!

So were they setting up a 'neglect defense' to cover the child murder? Yes we are terribly neglectful to leave them alone but some scary stranger must have came along and kidnap her.
Wow....could that be true? I must be the must naive person. I didn't think of that at all.

Sadly not surprised. Heartbroken.

Missing Athena Brownfield, 4, 'was beaten to death by her caregiver on Christmas - and buried near a fence at an old property where they used to live', court documents reveal

Sweet baby Jesus. <modsnip> be done with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
The expression on Athena’s little face in all of the pictures I have seen of her will forever stay with me. When I first saw the missing endangered post for her, I thought she has the saddest child face I’ve seen since Aaliyah Lunsford. Utterly heartbreaking beyond my vocabulary to see babies that young with their spirits so obviously broken already. The lack of hope.

I’m between sad, angry and physically sick to my stomach. I feel so helpless. What can we do to prevent this in the future? Is there anything at all?

The expression on Athena’s little face in all of the pictures I have seen of her will forever stay with me. When I first saw the missing endangered post for her, I thought she has the saddest child face I’ve seen since Aaliyah Lunsford. Utterly heartbreaking beyond my vocabulary to see babies that young with their spirits so obviously broken already. The lack of hope.

I’m between sad, angry and physically sick to my stomach. I feel so helpless. What can we do to prevent this in the future? Is there anything at all?
I really wish we could do something, but we can't stop evil , the Ryan McIntosh story broke my heart and showed me how evil humans could be. All we can do is be a voice so there's justice and awareness. Jmoo.

Sadly not surprised. Heartbroken.

Missing Athena Brownfield, 4, 'was beaten to death by her caregiver on Christmas - and buried near a fence at an old property where they used to live', court documents reveal

From your link, my bolding:

Ivon Adams, 36, and his estranged wife Alysia Adams, 31, had been caring for Athena and [her sister] for two years at their home in Cyril, Oklahoma.
When investigators interviewed Alysia on January 12, she revealed that Ivon beat Athena to death around midnight on Christmas, the court documents revealed, according to KSWO.

She said that Ivon beat the child and held her up by her arms. She was not moving and her eyes were barely open. He then laid her on the ground and punched her at least three more times in the chest.

Ivon then left the house on West Nebraska Avenue with her body around 1 a.m. on December 26.
Phone records reportedly showed Ivon leaving the home and traveling to Rush Springs around 4:15 a.m.
It was also claimed in the court documents that Ivon and Alysia never took the girls to the doctor for checkups or enroll them in school.

As we all knew, this case turned out just like dozens of other cases we've followed; selfish, nasty adults who are incapable of loving or caring for innocent children.

LE said the bio parents are cooperating <modsnip - not victim friendly>.

It also angers me that IA and AA were able to fly under the radar by never taking the girls to the doctor or enrolling them in school They were a bit young for school but it's telling that they never saw a doctor.

I still believe (IMO) that Ivon beat Athena to death after Alysia split with him. How could she go off on a tryst with a new man while knowing about the violence against Athena? Nasty, nasty people.

<modsnip - not victim friendly> Like I said earlier, Oklahoma isn't messing around regarding death penalty cases. Waiting to see what comes next...

All MOO

ETA: Question: What went on between 1 am and 4:15 am?

I have no contribution to this, my heart just is broken :(
Your contribution is great. Solidarity.

We came together for Athena.

We cry together.

We'll stand vigil for trial.

And one day, maybe her sister will stumble upon this thread and find a modicum of retroactive comfort to learn that complete strangers came together for her sister and cry with her now.

We're all adults and can turn to one another. Group hug. With our broken hearts.

Those little girls had no one.

And now, not even each other.

If only the monsters got struck down by lightning and the littles could live to laugh and play and grow up...

It's a sad day in my heart.

JMO

In what way? They're clearly just horrible people.
Yeah, you’re right. Just Horrible people is the answer to the issue that isn’t adding up for me.
I’m all the way vexed at how one could watch another human (especially an innocent child) be beaten to death and then not run straight to authorities. That’s problem #1 for me. Add on top of that the witness to the murder is kin to the victim AND a mother to 4 children her own self= Problem 1 is bigger.
Now I’m supposed to believe that this witness to child murder abandons a bunch more kids (her OWN included) with the perpetrator?! This is problem #2 for me. Add to that, she’s off to party with a boyfriend? Bigger problem #2 It’s really unbelievable to me.
Then she initially tried to lie about this when LE contacted her?!
If all of this is true, I’m not even sure these animals are human. Horrible entities. MOO

I’m starting to think I have lived too long and seen too much

"A" = ATHENA BROWNFIELD, age 4 (originally reported as 3), wearing pink butterfly sweater and pink pants, may have limited verbal skills [3]
"5yoSis" = Athena's older sister, found wandering neighborhood on T Jan 10

AA = ALYSIA ADAMS - 32-year-old caregiver of Athena and 5yo sister, arrested Jan 12 for child neglect; estranged from husband IA, 4 children together; cousin of A's mother [18] - FB1 / FB2 / TikTok
IA = IVON ADAMS - caregiver of Athena and 5yo sister, arrested Jan 12 in Phoenix, AZ as 'fugitive from justice'; estranged husband of AA, 4 children together - FB

MAP: View attachment 395550

-------------------------------------------------

~2021 ("at least a year" [17]; "a year and a half ago" [18]; "approximately 1.5 to 2 years" [19])
A and 5yoSis entrusted into care of AA and IA

Su DEC 25
~12PM - [according to AA's Jan 12 confession] IA beat A to death [19]

M DEC 26
~1AM = [according to AA's Jan 12 confession] IA left with A's body, said he buried her near fence at old residence in Rush Springs and placed a broken branch over the burial site [19]
4:15AM to 5:30AM - phone records show IA traveling to Rush Springs [19]

T DEC 27

W DEC 28

Th DEC 29

F DEC 30

Sa DEC 31

Su JAN 1

M JAN 2

T JAN 3

W JAN 4

Th JAN 5

F JAN 6

updated presumed date of disappearance [6]

Sa JAN 7
  • initial presumed date of disappearance [2] - cf F JAN 6
  • AA enjoys weekend getaway with new boyfriend BD in Oklahoma City (1hr from residence) [13*]

Su JAN 8
AA enjoys weekend getaway with new boyfriend BD in Oklahoma City [13*]

M JAN 9
A's 5yo sister found by OSBI agent? [2@1:45] - cf T JAN 10

T JAN 10 - REPORTED MISSING

• 2PM - A reported missing from 225 W Nebraska Ave [1] when 5yo sister found unattended near home by mail carrier [2] who reported to Cyril police [6]; 5yo did not require medical care and is now in protective custody [3@0:45]; 5yoSis stated that she was home alone and tired of being alone [19]
  • during phone call with LE, AA asked where A was [19]
  • PM - OSBI posts press release asking for public's help in finding A [1]
  • 5PM - Search including helicopters, 250 searchers [2@1:00]
  • 9PM - residence marked off with crime tape [6], executing search warrant as part of "standard procedure" [3]
W JAN 11
  • FBI confirmed to be assisting on case, though not on location [6]
  • 7:30AM - prayer vigil held at First Baptist Church [3]
  • LE held press conference [3] - transcripts by @Allabouttrial HERE
    • "collecting items that could be relevant" [3@0:35]
    • checking land, waterways/ponds/sonar [3@3:00]
  • 4PM - search (including vacant houses, waterways, search dogs, drones, etc) concluded [4]
  • PM - Estranged paternal grandmother spoke to media [5]
Th JAN 12 - ARRESTS
  • AM - trash pickup halted until cleared by OSBI [7]
  • PM - Caregiver Alysia Adams arrested on two counts of child neglect [8], Suburban seized from home [10vid1@0:55]
    View attachment 395124
  • AA interviewed, confessed to LE that IA had beaten A to death on Dec 25 [19]
  • [TIME?] - Caregiver Ivon Adams arrested in Phoenix, AZ under 'fugitive from justice' charge [9] - arrest papers
F JAN 13
  • $1000 reward offered by searchers [10vid1@1:00]
  • LE searched near family's former home near Rush Springs, OK [11]
  • IA in Maricopa County (AZ) Court - waived extradition hearing [12]
Sa JAN 14
  • heavy LE presence searching at creek reservoir in Grady County (where IA has connections) with boats, dive team [14]
  • PM - vigil held for A at City Hall[15]
Su JAN 15
  • AM - LE revisited residence [16]
M JAN 16
  • LE stated that this is now considered a "recovery operation" [17]

[1] OSBI FB post - Jan 10
[2] Authorities, Community Search for Missing 4-Year-Old w VIDEO - NewsOn6 - Jan 11
[3] Search continues for missing 4-Year-Old w PRESSER VIDEO & TRANSCRIPT - KOCO - Jan 11
[4] OSBI completes grid search - ABC7 - Jan 11
[5] Grandmother of missing 4-year-old - ABC7 - Jan 11
[6] Latest on search for Athena - ABC7 - Jan 11
[7] Cyril halts all trash pick-up - ABC7 - Jan 12
[8] Arrest made as search for missing - KFOR - Jan 12
[9] Second caregiver arrested - KSWO - Jan 13
[10] Second caregiver arrested w VIDEOs - KOCO - Jan 13
[11] Investigators searching for missing 4-year-old - News9 - Jan 13
[12] Ivon Adams, caretaker of Athena Brownfield - KSWO - Jan 13
[13*] Missing Athena Brownfield's TikTok Obsessed Caregiver - DailyMail [*TABLOID] - Jan 13
[14] Heavy police presence at creek reservoir - KSWO - Jan 14
[15] Cyril community holds vigil - KFOR - Jan 14
[16] OSBI investigators revisit home - KFOR - Jan 15
[17] OBSI: Search for 4-year-old - KOAM - Jan 16
[18] Family of Missing 4-year-old - KWTV - Jan 16
[19] Court Docs: Athena Brownfield Killed on Christmas - KSWO - Jan 17

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

MOOs
Absolutely infuriating but sadly not too far from what I expected had happened.

I do not, however, believe for a second that AA's hands are clean here. Your husband beats a 4-year-old child to death on Christmas and you don't immediately grab the rest of the kids, get someplace safe, and call the police? That she would just go on with life as usual -- and leave her children and the victim's sister in the man's care again -- speaks volumes to me.

What happened in that three-hour gap of time between when AA claimed IA left with A's body and when his phone records actually show him leaving? IMO, that, and the condition of A's body I think are going to be damning evidence against both of them.

It's also horrifying to realize how long it would have taken anyone to even realize A was gone if AA and IA had not left 5yoSis by herself. It was already over two weeks between her death and when she was reported missing; how much longer before someone else would have noticed had it not been for that mail carrier finding 5yoSis?

The 5-year-old sister of Athena allegedly told the postal worker that she was “weary of being alone” after spending time alone at home, according to the arrest warrant affidavit.
Agents of the OSBI placed Alyssa Adams in custody after receiving two separate reports of child neglect.
Alysia Adams told the police in the affidavit that she knew Athena was dead.

How can Alysia, a mother herself, witness such a horrific murder then go on with her life as if everything's rosy? He's toast but I hope Alysia pays for her inaction too. MOO

As for the Mom, is there such a thing as multiple counts of child endangerment? Going off for the weekend and allowing the man who took a child's life to caretake 5 others (including 4 of your own) blows my mind. And if she had information about where Athena was being buried, she is complicit. I hope her charges are commensurate with what I think her accountability should be. IMO of course.

This is horrifying. And she knew, then left her children with him so she could go off on a dirty weekend with some guy she just met?.

I have many words, none of which I am allowed to use here.

Sleep well little Athena, you deserved so,so much better. X
I’m going to be sick. <modsnip - not victim friendly> Right after Christmas? <modsnip>

:mad: :mad: :mad:

CYRIL, Okla. (KSWO) - Newly released court documents shed new light into the murder of Athena Brownfield.

In the court documents charging Ivon Adams with first degree murder and child neglect, officials lay out the timeline and more details about what happened to the 4-year-old.

According to the paperwork, after Athena’s sister was found in Cyril, she was interviewed by authorities and told them she had been home alone and was tired of being alone.

View attachment 395937
From your link:

"[Sister] reported she called Alysia "mom" and "Aly" and called Alysia's husband, Ivon Adams, "Dad" and "Uncle Ivon."

Makes me sick. :mad:

Nothing can be done for poor Athena but what everyone who is able can do is get licensed to be foster parents! It is FREE and you receive lots of training in how to help these kids. You can register to just be an “emergency” or “respite” foster family. That means you don’t commit to the long term care of a child but you are able to help in an emergency or for short term stays (weekends, holidays) when other foster families may need some help.

I try to bring this up whenever I can because even if it’s not something you can do now, once you are licensed, you can always jump in if you meet a child in your life that needs help. Someone in the neighborhood, at your child or grandchild’s school, etc. The more foster families there are, the quicker the system can move to get kids to safety.

And if you can’t for any number of very valid reasons, look into your own state’s requirements and share with people in your life whenever the opportunity arises. People don’t realize there are so many ways to help that’s short of permanent adoption or long term foster care. There’s also training to be a CASA.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back