OK OK - Julie Mitchell, 34, Oklahoma City, 2 Nov 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Whether he typically called her "mom" or "stepmom" is irrelevant,

I don't think anything is irrelevant when it comes to trying to find a suspect for a murder. Typically 911 calls are reviewed for details.

Attorney provides new details in Oklahoma City woman's death

Read more: http://newsok.com/attorney-provides...ty-womans-death/article/3513627#ixzz153dEVMg0

"A large amount of cash was stolen from a safe in a closet of an upscale home in northwest Oklahoma City where a woman was found beaten to death, an attorney and friend of her husband told The Oklahoman on Thursday evening."

"Julie Mitchell was found in front of a safe in a closet of their home."

More information included in the article.

Read more: http://newsok.com/attorney-provides...ty-womans-death/article/3513627#ixzz153dEVMg0

"A large amount of cash was stolen from a safe in a closet of an upscale home in northwest Oklahoma City where a woman was found beaten to death, an attorney and friend of her husband told The Oklahoman on Thursday evening."

"Julie Mitchell was found in front of a safe in a closet of their home."

More information included in the article.

This is the first time I've read the anonymous letter implicates Teddy. From all media accounts, especially your link above, he doesn't come across as having anything to do with it (but then again, Scott Peterson didn't either in the beginning). It seems like either 2 scenarios: 1 - some type of associate of Teddy's who knew he kept a lot of cash at home; 2 - a murder for hire scenario made to look like a home invasion.

In scenario 1, she most likely knew who they were (could even be a family member or close friend) or could identify them. Scenario 2 seems unlikely at this point, but can't be ruled out.

I'm thankful the child wasn't killed. It seems often in these types of cases the kid is killed as well, even when they're too young to identify anyone. Regardless, Julie appeared to be a well loved, beautiful, and very happy woman. Such a sad situation.

I wonder if the location of the safe was common knowledge...how anyone knew it even existed. That should narrow down the investigation a bit I would think.

Here is the friend/attorney front and center providing new details through the media while I thought the police were asking for full cooperation NOT to release details. And steering any potential suspicion and speculation away from his friend.

He certainly isn't saying who or what could be involved. As a matter of fact, I don't see anywhere where he says anything about what a horrible crime this was and that the perpetrator needs to be brought to justice.

Also I am wondering about something he said. "The stepson immediately picked up the baby and ran outside the home and called police." It was reported in the news that "paramedics carried Julie Mitchell's 13-month-old child out of the house covered in blood." Could the stepson have taken the baby back into the house after initially taking her out when reporting the crime or is there a discrepancy in the stories?

Teddy's "friend" who is an attorney and is speaking up for the family but who is not "representing" Teddy, sure is one smooth talker. I wonder if his buddies call him Ex-lax?

Something that strikes me as odd is that the 30 year old stepson calls 911 and says "Mom shot herself." I find it HIGHLY unlikely a 30 year old man is going to refer to a 34 year old as his "stepmom" or "mom." I have a relationship like that in my family - and the guy is referred to as his name - not as a parent or step parent because we are so close in age. I am suspicious about this.

I agree 100%!! I'm married to an older man and he has 3 grown children from a previous marriage. NONE of them call me mom nor have they ever said "hey so and so this is my step-mom ... they all call me by my first name.

Every family is different. I know one family where the couple married in their upper 60's and the fortysomething son calls his new stepmother "Mom." It's just what he finds respectful.

There is a difference when the step parent is closer in age with the stepchild.

I wonder if the location of the safe was common knowledge...how anyone knew it even existed. That should narrow down the investigation a bit I would think.

This sort of reminds me of the Billings case. Word got out that the Billings had money in their home.

I am sure many people thought the same about this family.

Word travels so it could be someone they knew or someone that knew someone that mentioned it but the family didn't know them.

IMO

I agree 100%!! I'm married to an older man and he has 3 grown children from a previous marriage. NONE of them call me mom nor have they ever said "hey so and so this is my step-mom ... they all call me by my first name.

I think it is just an individual choice made by the siblings.

I know some that are older that do call their younger stepmother or stepdad...mom or dad.

I think it would be decided on how close they feel to the step parent.

How long had this couple been together?

IMO

I still can't get over the fact that this poor victim understood how important being a MOM is.
Justice in this sad case is so deserved, and can't be swift enough.
So many questions, don't let this one go cold.

Prayers...and Answers....
For those that care for justice.
So Sorry for those innocent ones, left behind.

Has the anonymous letter been posted anywhere?

D.A. David Prater: Mitchell Documents Can't Be Sealed

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma City police detectives have asked prosecutors and the courts to seal information in the slaying of Julie Mitchell, but Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater said that’s not a legal option.

"We can't. We told them, 'Legally, we can't,'" Prater said. "The medical examiners' reports are public information when they're put in a final form."
---
"People start to pay attention to those cases because they say, 'Wait a minute. That lady is just like me,'" Prater said. "This isn't someone in a bar, drug activity, gang activity or putting themselves in harm's way. This is someone who's in their own home."
---
Police said detectives have interviewed "multiple people" in the case and have taken DNA samples from each person they've questioned.
--

more at
http://www.koco.com/news/25912631/detail.html

The main point of contention here is the medical examiner's report.

OK LE, stonewalling as usual: no transparency here
Authorities Mum On Mitchell Death Details

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Nearly a month after Julie Mitchell was found dead in her northwest Oklahoma City home, police are working to find a suspect, and authorities are staying mum on the details of the investigation.

The district clerk denied Eyewitness News 5 requests for the search warrant into Mitchell’s home and the Medical Examiner’s Office hasn’t released records related to Mitchell’s death, which was ruled a homicide.

"The fact that this investigation seems to be taking a while, to unfold, it really isn't, so this isn't unusual at all,” said Oklahoma District Attorney David Prater.
---
"You wouldn't want specific details released on the crime scene or injuries to the victim's body, how they occurred, locations, things like that,” Prater said. “If it would harm the investigation, I believe in this case -- this particular case -- I believe that it would."
---

and more, at
http://www.koco.com/news/25959353/detail.html

In OK, this sort of thing usually translates to, "We are failing totally at solving this case."

That does sound like a lot of excuse-making...

Slain OKC woman’s kin are cooperating, police say

The husband and stepsons of Julie Mitchell, an Oklahoma City woman found beaten to death in her home Nov. 2, have been asked by police to provide DNA samples. A friend of husband Teddy Mitchell was also asked to provide a sample, a friend of the family said Tuesday.
---
Larry Cassil, an Oklahoma City attorney and friend of the victim’s husband, Teddy Mitchell, 56, said Mitchell has been back to the house only once and doesn’t intend to return ever again.

Cassil said $10,000 was stolen from a safe in the closet where Julie Mitchell’s body was found.

Teddy Mitchell provided the DNA police requested, and his three sons also agreed to give samples but haven’t yet because they have been out of town, Cassil said. Police also asked for a DNA sample from one of Teddy Mitchell’s friends, Cassil said
---
The autopsy has not been completed, a medical examiner’s spokeswoman said Tuesday.
---
more at
http://newsok.com/slain-womans-kin-are-cooperating-friend-says/article/3519678

And with OK's "troubled" medical examiner's office, that autopsy may never get done.

Expert: Unseal Mitchell Autopsy
---
"It does come down to the public's right to know this information," said Oklahoma State University professor Joey Senat. He is also a member of the board of Oklahoma Freedom of Information.

He said the autopsy should not be withheld.

"To say that it might interfere with the prosecution, I know, sounds good when you say it to the public," Senat said. "But on the flip side, it could also help us know that they're not doing their job."

When Sibley was asked to cite an exemption for why the autopsy should not be released, he declined.

"If the ME's office cannot cite a specific exemption in the statute that says this record's not public, then they have to release it," Senat said. "They have to follow the law like the rest of us."
---
the rest, at
http://www.koco.com/news/26003147/detail.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member