OK OK - Julie Mitchell, 34, Oklahoma City, 2 Nov 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Slain OKC woman’s kin are cooperating, police say

The husband and stepsons of Julie Mitchell, an Oklahoma City woman found beaten to death in her home Nov. 2, have been asked by police to provide DNA samples. A friend of husband Teddy Mitchell was also asked to provide a sample, a friend of the family said Tuesday.
---
Larry Cassil, an Oklahoma City attorney and friend of the victim’s husband, Teddy Mitchell, 56, said Mitchell has been back to the house only once and doesn’t intend to return ever again.

Cassil said $10,000 was stolen from a safe in the closet where Julie Mitchell’s body was found.

Teddy Mitchell provided the DNA police requested, and his three sons also agreed to give samples but haven’t yet because they have been out of town, Cassil said. Police also asked for a DNA sample from one of Teddy Mitchell’s friends, Cassil said
---
The autopsy has not been completed, a medical examiner’s spokeswoman said Tuesday.
---
more at
http://newsok.com/slain-womans-kin-are-cooperating-friend-says/article/3519678

And with OK's "troubled" medical examiner's office, that autopsy may never get done.

Bolded by me.

Am I the only one that thinks this is kind of pressing? You can get your DNA taken somewhere else and shipped.

My hinky meter has gone off a few times, but this really did it.

$50,000 Reward Put Up For Arrest In Julie Mitchell Case
---
OKLAHOMA CITY -- A group known only as Friends of Julie Mitchell is offering $50,000 to anyone who can tell police who killed the metro mother.
---
http://www.koco.com/news/26049696/detail.html

Not sure how to read the phrase "a group known only as...." Could be indicative of sides being chosen, friends of JM v. etc. etc., here.

Slain Oklahoma City woman's husband wants police to return money, computers

Teddy Mitchell, 56, specifically wants back his computer, his wife's computer and cell phone, and the contents of his wife's bank safety deposit box.

His attorney, Chris Harper, told an Oklahoma County judge in a petition that the box contained “an unknown amount of cash.” The attorney said the victim, Julie Mitchell, was killed “by an unknown intruder.”

Julie Mitchell, 34, was found dead Nov. 2. Her body was in a closet of Teddy Mitchell's $359,000 house in northwest Oklahoma City. She had been beaten to death, authorities said. Her 1-year-old daughter, London, was in a pool of blood next to the body. The girl was not harmed.

The attorney told the judge Teddy Mitchell needs his computer back for business reasons. Police have said Teddy Mitchell is a sports bookie.

the rest at link above

Julie Mitchell's Autopsy Report Details Revealed

The autopsy report said Mitchell died from blunt force trauma to the head.

According to the report, Mitchell suffered serious brain damage, a broken jaw and cracked ribs.
---
According to an Oklahoma City police incident report, Mitchell’s stepson found her dead in the home.

The stepson told police that Mitchell had shot herself.
More, with video, at link above

Homicide victim Julie Mitchell was severely beaten, suffering "extensive" injuries to her head, skull and face, her autopsy report reveals.
---
Mitchell, 34, was found dead in her husband's Oklahoma City home Nov. 2. Her probable cause of death is recorded as multiple blunt force trauma to the head. Her manner of death is listed as a homicide.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-hom...article/3536030?custom_click=headlines_widget

Hi friends,
I'm joining this discussion because this case is so disturbing to me. I do not know the victim or her family, but feel like she was one of us...the good girls. Here are a few things that bother me about this case. The stepson calling 911 saying "he thought his Mom committed suicide". First off, him calling her Mom( I know that has already been discussed) but it doesn't sit right, secondly how does he know she committed suicide? Was it the 9 cuts on her face, broken nose & jaw or shattered skull? It bothered me that the paramedics were the ones to carry the baby covered in blood outside. Wouldn't your natural reaction be to hold that child?? I think I read the time of death to be 10:23 P.M. That would mean that he didn't find her until ...I'm guessing here 11:00 or so. Was it normal for the stepson to come see his stepmom without his Dad being home at 11:00? The last thing that I will say is that this does not seem like your average home invasion. The way she was brutally attacked seemed more of a crime of passion. Give me your thoughts please.

Hi friends,
I'm joining this discussion because this case is so disturbing to me. I do not know the victim or her family, but feel like she was one of us...the good girls. Here are a few things that bother me about this case. The stepson calling 911 saying "he thought his Mom committed suicide". First off, him calling her Mom( I know that has already been discussed) but it doesn't sit right, secondly how does he know she committed suicide? Was it the 9 cuts on her face, broken nose & jaw or shattered skull? It bothered me that the paramedics were the ones to carry the baby covered in blood outside. Wouldn't your natural reaction be to hold that child?? I think I read the time of death to be 10:23 P.M. That would mean that he didn't find her until ...I'm guessing here 11:00 or so. Was it normal for the stepson to come see his stepmom without his Dad being home at 11:00? The last thing that I will say is that this does not seem like your average home invasion. The way she was brutally attacked seemed more of a crime of passion. Give me your thoughts please.
sorry, I guess we don't know time of death. 911 call was @10:23 which is still late to me.

sorry, I guess we don't know time of death. 911 call was @10:23 which is still late to me.

It could have been he was trying to get in touch with her for a long time, got concerned, and then went over to the house at that late hour.

No news for a month...What is going on??? Any locals? Julie Mitchell deserves justice.

This was personal, not professional, jmo.

A reminder of her injuries from 1/28/11

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20110128_12_0_OKLAHO194952

a broken nose, a broken jaw, a shattered skull, a broken rib and 25 large cuts to her scalp, an autopsy report shows.

Four teeth were missing. She had a cut on her tongue, cuts to her chin and cuts to her lips. She had nine cuts and 12 bruises on her face. A bone inside her mouth was broken. She had abrasions on her chest and seven bruises on her right hand.

and if this wasn't bad enough, her 1-year-old daughter was in a pool of blood next to the body in the closet, but unharmed.

First, I'm amazed there has been nothing new. Second, it bugs the living daylights out of me that news articles refer to her being found in her husband's home. They were married, she lived there, that makes it HER home as well.

New second letter describes mother's murder
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Wednesday afternoon News Channel 4 received a new anonymous letter from an author who claims to have detailed knowledge about the murder of an Edmond mother.

Julie Mitchell was found beaten to death in her Edmond home last November; her baby daughter was found unharmed nearby.

More than four months later, there are still no arrests.

Now a new letter that implicates Julie's husband has been delivered to our newsroom.
---
It states that people are afraid to come forward with information about the murder of Julie Mitchell because they fear for their safety.

One line in the letter reads, "Also, people have mentioned that even if they did know something, they would not want to live the rest of their life in the witness protection program."

The letter then goes on to state supposed details about the crime.
---

more at KFOR link above

Unless they provide detailed info that is not available to the public, I'd assume LE thinks the letter writer is just a whack job.

A second station, KOCO, also received the letter.

News9 reports:
---
Oklahoma City Police Capt. Patrick Stewart said he was aware of the letters, but he will not disclose the contents. Homicide detectives retrieved the letters Wednesday from the media outlets.
---
This is not the first time the media has been sent anonymous letters regarding Mitchell's death.

Shortly after Mitchell's murder, a letter was located in a drainage ditch in northeast Oklahoma City, and another letter was located behind a utility pole. Whoever wrote those letters then called television stations and told reporters where to find them.

Police said those letters contained crucial information to the case.

http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=14219988

short video at KOCO link above

I have conflicting thoughts about this. On one hand, I don't believe the newpaper or TV station would publicize any letter they consider a hoax as that would give undue publicity to the hoax-ist (if that's not a word it should be!). At the same time, if the letters are legit and contain "crucial info"' wouldn't publicizing them compromise the investigation and put the sender at risk? This is very intriguing.

Breaking News

Teddy Mitchell Among 6 Subpoenaed To Grand Jury
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Eyewitness News 5 has learned that six people -- including the husband and three stepsons of a woman found dead in northwest Oklahoma City last November -- have been subpoenaed to testify before a grand jury.

An attorney for Teddy Mitchell told Eyewitness News 5 that it is not known to what the subpoenas pertain. Two of the people subpoenaed are not biologically related to Mitchell.
---

the rest at link above

Legal Analyst Looks Into Mitchell Grand Jury
Teddy Mitchell, 5 Others Called To Testify

---
"It's almost something out of a John Grisham book, where the media's given these letters," [legal analyst David] Slane said.

The letters propose a murder scenario and allegations for why the Mitchell case hasn't moved forward.

"We know there's someone trying to give information to authorities. I think we can glean from the letters from the news media there are some witnesses out there who want to come forward who are scared," Slane said.

"My understanding is they may be scared for their own safety because if they reveal the information, they may be the next person to get murdered," he added.
---

much more, including information about the special grand jury, at link above

Slain Oklahoma City woman's husband faces FBI inquiry; grand jury helps again
The FBI has begun a probe into illegal gambling accusations surrounding an Oklahoma City man whose wife was brutally beaten to death, The Oklahoman has learned.
---
The grand jury heard Wednesday from two of the victim's stepsons, Nick Mitchell and Dryden Mitchell. Each testified about two hours. Grand jury testimony is not open to the public.
Others weren't so immediately helpful:
Another friend [of Teddy Mitchell], Edmond insurance agent Michael Thomas, spent only a few minutes before the grand jury and refused to cooperate.
---
“There's no inference that you can draw as to a person's guilt based on their invocation of the Fifth Amendment,” [Thomas's lawyer, Josh] Welch said. “We hope that his status may change, and he may answer questions and cooperate.”
Much more at Daily Oklahoman link above.

Federal grand jury involved in Oklahoma gambling inquiry
Witnesses who know Teddy Mitchell have been subpoenaed to testify this week before the grand jury. Mitchell has not been subpoenaed and has not received a target letter from federal prosecutors, his attorney said.
---
Oklahoma City police, meanwhile, continue to investigate Julie Mitchell's death. A state multicounty grand jury has been helping in the homicide investigation. The state grand jury meets again next week.
---
Lengthy article about the federal grand jury and allegations of gambling at newsok.com link above; media is covering the two stories - Julie Mitchell's murder, and the Teddy Mitchell gambling investigation - as if perhaps the two are connected, though this is officially the story of two grand juries at the moment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindyW1974
Back