Found Deceased OK - Mark Chastain, Billy Chastain, Mike Sparks, Alex Stevens, Okmulgee, 9 Oct 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are correct. In theory, a bicycle cart can hold hundreds, or thousands of dollars in scrap metal and catalytic converters.

And now, the possible practical aspects:

- Does the owner of the scrap yard remove the frequently stolen catalytic converters from the cars immediately upon purchasing them?

- Would an automotive scrap yard have a lot of high dollar metal parts (brass, bronze copper) already cut out of what they came in and lying around for easy load up by thieves into carts?

In the end, the practical profits maybe very different than the theoretical profits.
There would hardly be any brass or bronze car parts in a scrap yard. Maybe some fittings but that would be about the extent of it. Copper would be found in wiring harnesses but most of the time those are left in the cars because of what it takes to remove them.

The cats would be the easiest quickest most valuable parts to steal.

Nothing about this makes sense. I've never lived anywhere where salvage yards were open at night. Makes no sense to ride bikes all over to go to salvage yards. You're going to a salvage yard either to buy or sell something, so why not take a car or truck? There has to be a backstory to this and I'm thinking its illegal activity.

If something went down at the scrapyard resulting in four dudes gettin’ iced, why bother loading them up in a vehicle and risk getting evidence all over the place? Why not leave them in the scrapyard? Only makes sense to dump the bodies if its riskier to leave them where they are then to transport them.

I still think accidental drowning is a possibility here, unless some evidence has come out recently that would rule that out.
If an accidental drowning were the case. I would expect to find their bikes nearby, as well as the two phones. Neither have been found according to LE.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that they rode the bikes so they could sneak up on someone. If they were planning to meet someone (likely not for good reasons) but wanted to catch the person off guard instead, the bikes would prevent the sound of the car, headlights, pulling up to the meeting spot, etc. But the plan likely went very wrong.

Nothing about this makes sense. I've never lived anywhere where salvage yards were open at night. Makes no sense to ride bikes all over to go to salvage yards. You're going to a salvage yard either to buy or sell something, so why not take a car or truck? There has to be a backstory to this and I'm thinking its illegal activity.

They could have made a prior appointment with the owner/manager to meet there. Way back when I was picking up parts for my dad's shop, he'd usually arrange the pickup time and sometimes it was Sunday night so he could get started first thing Monday.

Agreed. The killers may not even still be in town. If they haven't made positive identification yet, I can't think of any reason other than they were dismembered or mutilated.

If the killer(s) not local, then the chances of locating them are slim. That is, if the killer(s) slid into town for the sole purpose of assassinating four men, it's not likely they'll be detected by normal means. Like thieves, these killers slip thru the night.

Forensics and tech must be strong. I'm confused over which os the four men had a cell ph. BC had a cell ph bc his wife, JC, spoke to him on his. Where was its last ping?

Why didn't all of the guys take their cell phones along? Are there more cell phones that weren't left at home? I'd appreciate a tag, if you know. TIA

There would hardly be any brass or bronze car parts in a scrap yard. Maybe some fittings but that would be about the extent of it. Copper would be found in wiring harnesses but most of the time those are left in the cars because of what it takes to remove them.

The cats would be the easiest quickest most valuable parts to steal.
I am thinking that scrap yard owners routinely take those out immediately after the car is brought to the scrapyard.

I agree about the lack of high dollar metals such as bronze or brass in an auto scrapyard and that any copper would be time consuming and hard to get.

In the end, the possible theft of scrapyard materials via bicycle cart(s) may well make economic sense only in a lower income area such as rural Oklahoma.

I think you are correct. In theory, a bicycle cart can hold hundreds, or thousands of dollars in scrap metal and catalytic converters.

And now, the possible practical aspects:

- Does the owner of the scrap yard remove the frequently stolen catalytic converters from the cars immediately upon purchasing them?

- Would an automotive scrap yard have a lot of high dollar metal parts (brass, bronze copper) already cut out of what they came in and lying around for easy load up by thieves into carts?

In the end, the practical profits maybe very different than the theoretical profits.
Another practical aspect: hauling the weight of thousands of dollars worth of CC's in a bicycle cart. A lot of folks wouldn't be up to the torture of pedaling a heavy load on a cart.

This article may have already been posted, sorry. In my opinion, someone took the victim's cell phone from the Okmulgee salvage yard and went to the gas station, the victim was not on video there. It hasn't been disclosed who was at the gas station when the phone pinged there. Someone then took the cell phone to the other salvage yard, in Henryetta, directly south of Okmulgee, and said oh sh** and turned it off. Did this person take the bodies to the river before or after going to the 2nd salvage yard? The phone makes it look like the bodies were taken to the river after the killer returned to Okmulgee.

Maybe not to them?
That is if there was no protection of the salvage yard by the owner. If the owner is running this business it will not be open for just anyone to get inside. How much would the 4 have gotten, I think there was only one trailer. Tools would be needed also to take off parts. So if they have one trailer its kind of challenging. I mean how much could they get between the four of them its not worth it to even try. Where would they take the parts they wouldn't be able to do it here in town if they have scrap metal that's been take off then why wouldn't the other owners think its their parts. Plus the families have said its not like them to be out that late.

From the above linked article,
"Billy Chastain, 30; Mark Chastain, 32; Mike Sparks, 32; and Alex Stevens, 29, met up Sunday evening. They left Billy’s house around 8 p.m. on bicycles “pulling trailers,” (Police Chief) Prentice said".
Trailers, plural.
Looking at a map, it seems that the ride to the salvage yard, via S Madison Ave., was 1.3 miles of flat paved streets. Map estimate 7 minute ride.
Thinking what the purpose of the trailers is, if they were taking something there, didn't at least one of them have a car to take something there? And why would all 4 need to go? If no car is available, why do bikes at night? Why do 4 need to go and all met up at Billy's house first? Therefore the trailers are for something, and after dark for concealment. Maybe the auto salvage place removed the CATs, so thinking of other auto parts, they could have been working on cars at their houses. Just remembered, my brothers called this shopping at "Midnight AutoSupply".
If they're getting something to sell, head and tail light assemblies are good. Maybe they needed seats. Maybe this wasn't the first trip.
You don't need a lot of tools to remove these and even silent hand tools, drivers, sockets, etc will do.

If something went down at the scrapyard resulting in four dudes gettin’ iced, why bother loading them up in a vehicle and risk getting evidence all over the place? Why not leave them in the scrapyard? Only makes sense to dump the bodies if its riskier to leave them where they are then to transport them.

I still think accidental drowning is a possibility here, unless some evidence has come out recently that would rule that out.
In the press conference with the police chief upthread at post 128, he said that the water at the bridge is not deep.

From the above linked article,
"Billy Chastain, 30; Mark Chastain, 32; Mike Sparks, 32; and Alex Stevens, 29, met up Sunday evening. They left Billy’s house around 8 p.m. on bicycles “pulling trailers,” (Police Chief) Prentice said".
Trailers, plural.
Looking at a map, it seems that the ride to the salvage yard, via S Madison Ave., was 1.3 miles of flat paved streets. Map estimate 7 minute ride.
Thinking what the purpose of the trailers is, if they were taking something there, didn't at least one of them have a car to take something there? And why would all 4 need to go? If no car is available, why do bikes at night? Why do 4 need to go and all met up at Billy's house first? Therefore the trailers are for something, and after dark for concealment. Maybe the auto salvage place removed the CATs, so thinking of other auto parts, they could have been working on cars at their houses. Just remembered, my brothers called this shopping at "Midnight AutoSupply".
If they're getting something to sell, head and tail light assemblies are good. Maybe they needed seats. Maybe this wasn't the first trip.
You don't need a lot of tools to remove these and even silent hand tools, drivers, sockets, etc will do.
Well, first of all the trailers could be for children to sit in. We don't know what kind of trailers he was referring to. Secondly if you are referring to the larger ones then it would be weighted down so it would be heavy for them to go the total distance supposedly that they did and come back home along with the parts and tools. Plus it wasn't one slavage yard it was 3 different ones in different areas so ya lugging them. All 4 were friends so meeting up at one's home is not suspicious. Going for an evening bike ride is not a big deal with friends. Maybe they just wanted a change of scenery or they could be just letting off steam after the week. How do we know all four had trailers? Once it was said that it was only one trailer as opposed to multiple. So which is it?

On whose part? Do we know? I don't think so, assumptions are one thing. What if someone robbed them? So ya illegal acivity on the other's part not on the victims IMO.

Maybe they just wanted a change of scenery or they could be just letting off steam after the week
Have you seen the scenery at the salvage yard? The route to get there is within their town. LE said the cell phone location was within the yard.
Plus it wasn't one slavage yard it was 3 different ones in different areas so ya lugging them
There are only 2 yards involved in this case. The first one in town, where the phone was shown to be.
After some time, the victim's phone was taken (or phone and hidden body) to the gas station.
The victims were not at the gas station, just one of their phones, probably with the killer.
Then the phone was taken 6.2 miles to the 2nd salvage yard and was turned off. I haven't seen anything saying the victims ever went to a 2nd or 3rd yard.

Having towed 2 children in bike trailers, and dogs and picnic supplies, on flat pavement, the load is only noticed when you start from a stop. Once you are moving, the load weight is carried on the trailer's tires. In my opinion, a grown man would have no trouble carrying a load, especially since these trailers are not usually very large. Certainly large enough for smaller car parts.

There is no information saying that the victims took a loaded trailer anywhere or ever rode back home or to another location that night.
They only had the same short distance to return home from the Okmulgee yard.

Murdering 4 men for some used bikes and pocket money doesn't sound plausible to me. Their phones don't show them by the river, why would the bike stealer load up the bikes and the bodies, only to take them to the river?

Last edited:
Have you seen the scenery at the salvage yard? The route to get there is within their town. LE said the cell phone location was within the yard.

There are only 2 yards involved in this case. The first one in town, where the phone was shown to be.
After some time, the victim's phone was taken (or phone and hidden body) to the gas station.
The victims were not at the gas station, just one of their phones, probably with the killer.
Then the phone was taken 6.2 miles to the 2nd salvage yard and was turned off. I haven't seen anything saying the victims ever went to a 2nd or 3rd yard.

Having towed 2 children in bike trailers, and dogs and picnic supplies, on flat pavement, the load is only noticed when you start from a stop. Once you are moving, the load weight is carried on the trailer's tires. In my opinion, a grown man would have no trouble carrying a load, especially since these trailers are not usually very large. Certainly large enough for smaller car parts.

There is no information saying that the victims took a loaded trailer anywhere or ever rode back home or to another location that night.
They only had the same short distance to return home from the Okmulgee yard.

Murdering 4 men for some used bikes and pocket money doesn't sound plausible to me. Their phones don't show them by the river, why would the bike stealer load up the bikes and the bodies, only to take them to the river?
I think one of the published timelines said they were at the 1st salvage yard for about 3 hours.

I wonder if it was just the phones that were there, and the men had already been knocked out, or tied up or taken, or whatever befell them?

Otherwise, what would they be doing there for 3 hours?

There is no information saying that the victims took a loaded trailer anywhere or ever rode back home or to another location that night, unless I missed something?
I am not talking about the child trailers. They are light so no dispute there. But lugging the other types of heavier trailers is what I mean. Yes it was 2 salvage yards not three my bad. But still lugging those trailers with the parts to 2 yards then back home its going to be lugging not an easy bike stroll. It may not seem plausable but it can happen unless otherwise said by LE I have no reason to see these 4 men but anything than victims as statements given by thier families suggest. We often think that in a male murder victim he can look after himself so its ok for him to be out on a secluded rural road with nothing around. But its not so simple look at what happened to the family of four in California that were kidnapped at gunpoint. See we are shocked that two men were kidnapped at gunpoint regardless of motive as in their case. So why can't the same apply to these four men. We haven't heard anything untoward about these four men. IMO I don't think they were anywhere near the salvage yards when what happened to them happened. They were on a rural road (minding their own business) with nothing around as I said earlier so anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro