OK OK - Sharon Marshall, 20, multiple aliases, OKC, 1990 - ID'd as Suzanne Sevakis - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have any suggestions of what to look for in MI? I have looked at a lot of websites, but don't have a subscription to archives. From what I can remember, The Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News were the big newspapers around at the time, but I don't know how far back they go online. ....

The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press go WAY back, but on line stories probably only go as far back as the 1980's or 90's. You might need to be a paid subscriber to get into their archives, but maybe not - Each online newspaper is different in that regard.

The Flint Journal is another main newspaper, and Lansing's State Journal is another.

There are also a large number of (Michigan) County newspapers which used to be weekly papers, but now come out several times a week. Many of those papers are published now by the Gannett Corporation.

Richard, thank you for your input about the newspapers. After the holiday, I am going to try the library and see what I can find there. (Do they still keep things on microfische? Or am I way outdated?) Maybe there are other publications from the counties that came out daily in the early 70's that can be accessed at the library.

I had a thought, what if the little girl was never reported missing because the mother went missing?
I have been checking doe network and a couple cases I found that could be related are,
656dfin
2032dfwa

Its a possibility. FDF was in prison from 1963-1972 but the mother could have disapeared on her own accord due to pregnancy and maybe came across FDF a few years later while prostituting or living on the street. I know this could be far fetched but something just sets off bells when I keep reading about how he said he got this child. Also I have not seen any note that this has been looked into before.

This has definitely been considered a possibility...I really don't think anything is "far fetched" in this case!

Here are the full links to the 2 cases you mentioned above:

Laura Lee Asynithe Flink missing since February 21, 1969 from Aberdeen, Grays Harbor County, Washington
http://doenetwork.org/cases/2032dfwa.html

Ann Miller missing since July 2, 1966 from Indiana Dunes State Park, Indiana
http://doenetwork.org/cases/656dfin.html

There were also some theories about these two girls:

Karen Lynn Tompkins missing since August 18, 1961 from Torrance, Los Angeles County, California
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1003dfca.html

Anne Marie Burr missing since August 13, 1961 from Tacoma, Pierce County, Washington
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1670dfwa.html

That possibly one of them was abducted by Floyd and eventually became Sharon's mother. There are posts about this in the previous threads on Websleuths.

Richard, thank you for your input about the newspapers. After the holiday, I am going to try the library and see what I can find there. (Do they still keep things on microfische? Or am I way outdated?) Maybe there are other publications from the counties that came out daily in the early 70's that can be accessed at the library.

I have a subscription to the newspaper archives at http://www.newspaperarchive.com, and there are Michigan papers on there dating back to the turn of the last century (1900). Nothing from Detroit, but other cities in Michigan. Not sure about the Detroit Free Press website...says their obituaries only go back to 2001, not sure about other articles. Libraries do still have microfiche for the older papers - I went to a local library recently and looked up some papers from the 1960s.

Gina, thanks for the links and for answering my library question.

You're welcome, Boyz Mum!

Has anyone ever seen this case? Looks like another possibility for Sharon's mother:

Ruth Egnoski was 18 when she disappeared in 1966. Private investigators hired by the family said she took a bus from Delavan (Wisconsin) to Chicago, but they lost her trail there.

http://www.theweekextra.com/news/0807/081007missing.html
(about 2/3 down the page)

Ruth's father worked as an elementary school custodian. So did Floyd. Hmm...

I believe I read that DNA had ruled out Jennifer Klein. Good thought, though!

At one time I had a link for Matt Bierbecks site but now I can't find it. There is a list on his forum of the girls that DNA has ruled out. If anyone knows the link, could you please post it? TYIA.

he used to have a fourm up on his website but when clicking it i get the 401 error message

Is it possible to get a list of females who died from heroin overdoes via the Cook county coroner during the appropriate time periods or would that be private information?

I suppose if Floyd's story was true, it should be possible to go through that list and verify which woman bore children...... and account for those kids, though a lot of work.

Just thinking out loud.......

I have a list of possible matches that have been ruled out. See the myspace page in my sig (the "identifysharonmarshall" one). I made a separate blog post for it.

March 6, 2007 - Tuesday
Possible matches that have been eliminated
Here I will keep track of people who have been eliminated as possible matches for Sharon. This will help new sleuthers to avoid spending time on leads that have already been followed up on.
The following people are NOT Sharon Marshall:
Cynthia Sumpter
Anna Waters
Jennifer Klein
Cheryl Hanson
Sheri Lynn Johnson
Janice Pockett

updates will be added as they become available.

----

Oh yeah, I just checked Matt Birkbeck's forum (also linked off my page) and it seems to be down.

I had a thought, what if the little girl was never reported missing because the mother went missing?
I have been checking doe network and a couple cases I found that could be related are,
656dfin
2032dfwa

Its a possibility. FDF was in prison from 1963-1972 but the mother could have disapeared on her own accord due to pregnancy and maybe came across FDF a few years later while prostituting or living on the street. I know this could be far fetched but something just sets off bells when I keep reading about how he said he got this child. Also I have not seen any note that this has been looked into before.

Sleuther,
Brilliant minds think alike (my mom used to say that:D ). I still think there's a remote possibility that Karen Lynn Tompkins may have been FDF's first victim and Sharon's mother. Karen would have been around 17 if Sharon is the age we believe she is. I started a thread for Karen Lynn Tompkins here on WS. Here is a snip from my intro-post #1 that lists the background of the case:

NOTE:
FDF was released from a CA correctional facility the SAME MONTH that Karen Lynn Tompkins went missing. The crime for which he was incarcerated was commited close to Karen's hometown.
I contacted the Dept of Corrections to get an exact release date but they would not provide a date.

(snip)
Some WS posters speculate that Karen Lynn Tompkins was possibly abducted and held captive for several years by Franklin Delano Floyd. Floyd is a convicted murderer, a pedophile and kidnapper. He allegedly kidnapped a girl, 4 or 5 yrs old in 1974 and raised her as his daughter, later married her and finally killed her. Pics of her (and other females) were found, showing he molested her from childhood until her death.

It is unknown how he got possession of her. Her real identity is unknown. Floyd used aliases for her throughout her life. She is known as Sharon Marshall, Suzanne Davis and Tonya Tadlock. See the Sharon Marshall thread for all the details-the case is mind-boggling.

An article in the Daily Breeze archives stated LAPD has reopened the case at the insistance of Karen's sister, Lori Buck. Some of the evidence, including the reports were not in the evidence boxes, however there were flash cards I tried to contact someone in LAPD Cold Case Unit to no avail, however I was able to speak to a wonderful detective at the Torrance PD.

The detective is reviewing the case to find if Karen Tompkins is possibly Sharon Marshall's mother. She would have been in her late teens when "Sharon" was born. With Floyd's history of sexual abuse, and possible ties to a group of ex-cons accused of abducting another family, killing the mother and selling the kids, it is possible that Karen may have been dealt the same fate.

Ironically, Chloe Gilmore, one of the 1st lady detectives on LAPD was assigned to Karen's case in 1961. She has a daughter named Sharon Marshall.

What about Jennifer Klein? Just ran across her picture, and I see lots of similarity between her and the picture of Floyd & Sharon when she was really little. Jennifer was abducted in 1974 from a campground in Utah.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/klein_jennifer.html

Has she been ruled out? I don't follow this case too closely, so sorry if you guys have already discussed this.

Thoughts?

EDITED TO ADD: Oh, duh...I just saw the post above stating that Sharon was NOT Jennifer Klein. Sorry.

What about Jennifer Klein? Just ran across her picture, and I see lots of similarity between her and the picture of Floyd & Sharon when she was really little. Jennifer was abducted in 1974 from a campground in Utah.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/klein_jennifer.html

Has she been ruled out? I don't follow this case too closely, so sorry if you guys have already discussed this.

Thoughts?

EDITED TO ADD: Oh, duh...I just saw the post above stating that Sharon was NOT Jennifer Klein. Sorry.

Yes, I quoted my own post...
Can anyone tell me how or why Jennifer Klein was ruled out? Is there a link to this? I find it even MORE interesting knowing that Floyd was in Utah in 1974. Jennifer was kidnapped in Utah in 1974. And the similiarity in looks to Sharon are strikingly eerie.

Links? Do we truly know she was ruled out for a fact?

Jennifer Klein was ruled out via DNA testing, according to the book "A Beautiful Child." I think I need to put this in my sig...LOL

ETA - LE did take notice of the Utah connection, and in the book Matt describes Jennifer Klein as the "first and most promising lead". But DNA testing came back negative in Dec. 2004. The testing was handled by the California Department of Justice Lab. This is on pages 281-282 of "A Beautiful Child."

Jennifer Klein was ruled out via DNA testing, according to the book "A Beautiful Child." I think I need to put this in my sig...LOL

ETA - LE did take notice of the Utah connection, and in the book Matt describes Jennifer Klein as the "first and most promising lead". But DNA testing came back negative in Dec. 2004. The testing was handled by the California Department of Justice Lab. This is on pages 281-282 of "A Beautiful Child."

Thank you, Gina. Sorry.

I am going to buy A Beautiful Child.

i was checking out the petition i started about maybe 2 years ago to see how many signatures were present about 8something one post stuck out at me number 7 something " I think sharon marshall may be from detroit michigan in McComb co which is in warren michigan did they do baby foot prints in the sixties" i dont have access to the email addys they used to sign the petition didnt at one time floyd go by the name warren?/ im not sure if the website keeps a reccord of them. maybe this would be worth looking into warren mi theory

i live in warren michigan and my mom works at one of the hospitals here (there are two) and has since the late sixties. she tells me she definitely remembers babies being footprinted then. i also have access to the detroit news and free press archives but i have no idea where to begin to look (i read this thread from time to time but am not up to date on all the different theories)

Thank you, Gina. Sorry.

I am going to buy A Beautiful Child.

No problem, a lot of people ask this question - understandably because there is quite a resemblance there! Also the Utah connection...

I added a bit more info about Jennifer Klein to my blog. This question does come up quite a bit so maybe that will help :)
(I still wonder if Jennifer's disappearance has some connection to Floyd)

That's cool that you're going to buy "A Beautiful Child". It's a very heartbreaking but very intriguing story.

O.k. Someone sent me a message on myspace stating that they found a discussion about David Dial on Websleuths and they personally knew him and said that he had even murdered someone. They said they could read @ Websleuths but could not post. I will post it but not sure it is legitimate because one former poster who could be doing this as a scam. Of all things this persons Myspace hat is Mary Jane and said they are from Georgia. Again, I am skeptical because no proof to me that they actually knew him. You can come to your own conclusions.
myspace.com/greatatlantapotfest
Date:Sep 5, 2007 8:20 PM Flag as Spam or Report Abuse [ ? ]
Subject: Saw You At WebsleuthBody: I was doing a websearch on people I knew back during the late 60's and 70's. One of the people I was trying to find info on (out of curiosity) was David Dial.

The search took me to Websleuth where I read with interest the comments about David Dial. I tried to join so that I could post but for some reason I can log-in but I can't post or reply.

I saw a link to your myspace and thought I'd just contact you to give you some more info. I knew David well back in the 60's and 70's. He lived alone with his little mother in Newnan, Ga.. His father was deceased but he had a brother who lived in Cobb County. When you searched David's name in the Ga. Correctional Database you only got a portion of his arrest record. He was arrested in a couple of other states as well, one was for murder.

He was even arrested for a few crimes in Georgia that weren't listed which is no surprise to me as David was well-connected to large crime syndicates and was able to pay off law enforcement. He was addicted to heroin when I knew him and yes, he did have a daughter who was born around 1969 if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025