OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't know if public bulletin boards are still available. Back in 2002, when my grandmother died, I decided to try to find her youngest daughter (DD). She left the family after an argument with my grandmother. No one had heard from her in over a decade. DD had hiked all over the U.S. and Mexico so there was no hint of where she had gone. I found a public bulletin board for locating people and posted on it. Within hours, I received an email asking if I knew her SS number, date of birth, and where she was born. All I knew was her date of birth (I was one day off) and where she was raised (not where she was born). Within 24 hours, I received another email with her address and phone number. The person who helped me called himself Mr. Keane locater of lost persons.

I found out he was in the Marine Corps from June 1975 to February 1984 with discharge of AWOL and misconduct. Leaving with E2 and not progressing.

"Married June 2 1975 to in Tulsa. His uncle hadn't heard from him since about 1976. When my mother filed for divorce she had to put it in the newspaper as he couldn't be located, 1980 in the Tulsa Tribune, July 18,25, August 1, 8 publication."

Something seems off there. If he was married prior to, or just after boot camp, and then still serving in 1980, he shouldn't have been hard for her to find.

"Married June 2 1975 to in Tulsa. His uncle hadn't heard from him since about 1976. When my mother filed for divorce she had to put it in the newspaper as he couldn't be located, 1980 in the Tulsa Tribune, July 18,25, August 1, 8 publication."

Something seems off there. If he was married prior to, or just after boot camp, and then still serving in 1980, he shouldn't have been hard for her to find.
Thats what I thought as well. I got a copy of the divorce papers.

I don't know if public bulletin boards are still available. Back in 2002, when my grandmother died, I decided to try to find her youngest daughter (DD). She left the family after an argument with my grandmother. No one had heard from her in over a decade. DD had hiked all over the U.S. and Mexico so there was no hint of where she had gone. I found a public bulletin board for locating people and posted on it. Within hours, I received an email asking if I knew her SS number, date of birth, and where she was born. All I knew was her date of birth (I was one day off) and where she was raised (not where she was born). Within 24 hours, I received another email with her address and phone number. The person who helped me called himself Mr. Keane locater of lost persons.
I havent heard of public bulletin boards. Would i just search for them or can you give me a link? Thank you

Doing it via newspaper publication doesn't necessarily mean he was really missing. When I gave my eldest up to be adopted by my husband and me (don't ask...), I probably could have located her father, who had never been in her life, but besides the delay, it would have involved serving papers and incurring other expenses we didn't have the money for. Publishing a notice in several local papers for a few consecutive weeks was the other option and that's the one we took.

Doing it via newspaper publication doesn't necessarily mean he was really missing. When I gave my eldest up to be adopted by my husband and me (don't ask...), I probably could have located her father, who had never been in her life, but besides the delay, it would have involved serving papers and incurring other expenses we didn't have the money for. Publishing a notice in several local papers for a few consecutive weeks was the other option and that's the one we took.
It makes perfect sense to me to put it in the paper instead of arguing with him over it.

I was born in 1970 and raised to believe my father was the man who has the same last name as me. After my mother's death, cleaning and boxing her apartment up I came to her journals. Long story short,, I found out that I had a biological father and the reason I had my Dad's last name was because I had been adopted by him in 1974. According to my Aunt, mom's sister, the same thing was done in order to be adopted. My bio was in TDCJ so my mom knew how to contact him but to avoid any issues she had an ad ran in a newspaper too. Instead of the local city newspaper though, my mom went a couple of towns over, same county, and had the notice published there in case any of my bio father's family members could have seen the local newspaper.

My brother married right after basic training in the Air Force in 1972. They separated just days later. The marriage was annulled, or they divorced. When she tried to find him again, the Air Force wouldn't give her his location or even let her send him a message.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l