OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Tommy died from heart conditions due to alchohol. William was Tommy's father. Stephen had 2 biological siblings and 2 half siblings. One biological sibling passed away in 2017. According to obituary Tommy is listed but Stephen was not.

Remember that the person talking to the funeral home -- considered the informant -- may not have known Steven so didn't know to include mention of him in the obituary.

My great-grandfather's birthplace is incorrect in his obit pp the sister-in-law who spoke with the funeral home gave her husband's birthplace as my great-grandfathers, she did not know the family moved between the births of the 2 brothers.

As @carbuff points out about all of find-a-grave, the information is useful but not definitive.

Hope you find/hear something before August wraps up!

Remember that the person talking to the funeral home -- considered the informant -- may not have known Steven so didn't know to include mention of him in the obituary.

My great-grandfather's birthplace is incorrect in his obit pp the sister-in-law who spoke with the funeral home gave her husband's birthplace as my great-grandfathers, she did not know the family moved between the births of the 2 brothers.

As @carbuff points out about all of find-a-grave, the information is useful but not definitive.

Hope you find/hear something before August wraps up!
Thank you. I believe my Aunt's husband didn't know she had another brother. I've learned that Find A Grave is useful but not always correct. I hope I get something by the end of the month.

Just adding some more Yearbook photos for reference…

1973 WRHS
069F2796-DD71-444C-8A8F-1605B41395D7.jpeg

1974 WRHS
BCAC1813-4A53-4ECC-8F9D-562B791A24A0.jpeg5FB2E6A1-AC3F-47B2-96CF-1D7809613C71.jpeg

1975 WRHS
8DAE8B7C-9C9C-4B4C-87D7-0E569F959B88.jpeg 41713F7E-194F-4E05-A108-A05E97DB818E.jpeg(Judging by the people standing next to him in this photo, I’d say he was on the shorter end of the height estimate - I cropped their faces out)

Possible this man??

View attachment 362599
Possible but I would think unlikely. The unidentified person speaks multiple languages. As far as we know, Steve Murphy only speaks English. Also, Steve Murphy worked in a motor pool which implies mechanical knowledge not the study of languages.

Are DNA or dental records available for this unidentified person?

I think it's unlikely, but on the other hand...

Learning new languages doesn't require a degree or even formal study if you're living around people who speak it. The education might be harder to come by but if he had been assigned to various bases around the world, he could have acquired much of it just by being around another culture. Some people just have that knack.

I also think the face is wrong--but that's not something I'm very good at.

I think it's unlikely, but on the other hand...

Learning new languages doesn't require a degree or even formal study if you're living around people who speak it. The education might be harder to come by but if he had been assigned to various bases around the world, he could have acquired much of it just by being around another culture. Some people just have that knack.

I also think the face is wrong--but that's not something I'm very good at.
I agree. What makes me think it is unlikely is the number of new languages. One or two makes sense to me for the 8 or 9 years he was in the military. We really need to know more about Steve Murphy's military service. It could answer many questions and provide solid leads to his skills and interests.

I agree. What makes me think it is unlikely is the number of new languages. One or two makes sense to me for the 8 or 9 years he was in the military. We really need to know more about Steve Murphy's military service. It could answer many questions and provide solid leads to his skills and interests.

Good point.

Though if he stayed in Europe or the Middle East after his service ended, he'd be exposed to a lot more languages and cultures there than if he came back to the states. Speaking and reading several languges is much more common there.

(When one of the Carbuff offspring was living in Germany for his job, we heard a common joke: "What do you call a person who speaks only one language? American.")

I can't see anything that points toward a match except the name and birth year/month. But nothing to conclusively rule it out, either.

Good point.

Though if he stayed in Europe or the Middle East after his service ended, he'd be exposed to a lot more languages and cultures there than if he came back to the states. Speaking and reading several languges is much more common there.

(When one of the Carbuff offspring was living in Germany for his job, we heard a common joke: "What do you call a person who speaks only one language? American.")

I can't see anything that points toward a match except the name and birth year/month. But nothing to conclusively rule it out, either.
I understand; however, there is a question as to whether or not he was ever stationed outside of the U.S. Also, most members of my family were mechanically inclined. Those that were in the military didn't learn any foreign languages that I am aware of. We really need to know where he was stationed. It seems that every possible clue goes back to the military records.

Possible this man??

View attachment 362599
DOB is off 10 years than my father . I was born August 1975. I really hope this gentleman gets his identity back. My heart breaks for the missing and unidentified.

Possible this man??

View attachment 362599
I have no clue if Stephen served in any other branch. My gut says no as he was discharged for AWOL and Misconduct. I don't know if he knew any other languages. I am currently still waiting for the Detective to acquire his service records.

I have no clue if Stephen served in any other branch. My gut says no as he was discharged for AWOL and Misconduct. I don't know if he knew any other languages. I am currently still waiting for the Detective to acquire his service records.

Now slow down, you don't have the service record yet, so you, only stories from people who don't want you to know your Dad....

Maybe your Congressional Rep will send you a much different service record. Soon!

jmho ymmv lrr

Now slow down, you don't have the service record yet, so you, only stories from people who don't want you to know your Dad....

Maybe your Congressional Rep will send you a much different service record. Soon!

jmho ymmv lrr
Very true. I am calling the Detective tomorrow to find out if she has gotten any other news. Thank you

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spamyspam
Back