OK - Twin toddler girls die in hot car after family member forgets to drop them off at daycare - Sep 8, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My heart goes out to this family.

I wonder if the relative dropped one of the parents at work using the vehicle and then, instead of driving to the daycare, forgot and just drove the car home. Possibly a new routine or change in routine?

People think this can't happen to them, but maybe this is one of those cases that show it actually could happen in any family that doesn't utilize all of the tips recommended to prevent it. It sounds like this relative loved the babies very much, and no one thought they could forget to drop them off. So sad.

I don't understand how this keeps happening. Those poor little kids. Hope the caregiver is charged.
Does this happen more than it used to? Or do we just hear about it more?

I certainly hope the caregiver's actions that day are thoroughly investigated and then the caregiver charged if appropriate. The family believing/saying it was an accident is not enough for me. JMO

My heart goes out to this family.

I wonder if the relative dropped one of the parents at work using the vehicle and then, instead of driving to the daycare, forgot and just drove the car home. Possibly a new routine or change in routine?

People think this can't happen to them, but maybe this is one of those cases that show it actually could happen in any family that doesn't utilize all of the tips recommended to prevent it. It sounds like this relative loved the babies very much, and no one thought they could forget to drop them off. So sad.
Who forgets there's two other human beings in the vehicle with you, TWO dependent and helpless toddlers? Tips recommended to prevent you forgetting that fact...IMO, have a working brain.

Who forgets there's two other human beings in the vehicle with you, TWO dependent and helpless toddlers? Tips recommended to prevent you forgetting that fact...IMO, have a working brain.
Yep. We say that. But studies show “good parents “ do this too. Lots of stories about bad parents too, of course. But just Google it…school principals, dentists, nurse practitioners, veterinarians, etc. Not just drunk caregivers. Loving parents do it. I don’t really get it either, but it’s a “thing” for sure.

One day, hopefully all vehicles will have alerts on seats (many do now) and these unintended situations won’t happen anymore. In the meantime, our babies will continue to die.

Does this happen more than it used to? Or do we just hear about it more?

I certainly hope the caregiver's actions that day are thoroughly investigated and then the caregiver charged if appropriate. The family believing/saying it was an accident is not enough for me. JMO
It looks like a combination of factors- it happens more relative to the early 90s, but that appears to be because in the late 90's there was a push for babies to never be put in the front seat of a car. From 1995-1998 there was a sudden spike in child deaths from airbags, which appears to have motivated the pivot to having babies in the back seat and decreasing the airbag deaths, but in turn this did increase hot car deaths.
(Though, it looks like child car deaths overall have increased from 1995 onwards; I think it's hard to say whether or not it actually happened more, or if something about the record-keeping or reporting process changed.)
It looks like 2020 and 2021 were a drop from the deadliest years of 2018 and 2019, but there are rarely years in which hot car deaths in the US number less than 30.
Data from https://www.kidsandcars.org/document_center/download/hot-cars/Child-Hot-Car-Deaths-Data-Analysis.pdf

It looks like a combination of factors- it happens more relative to the early 90s, but that appears to be because in the late 90's there was a push for babies to never be put in the front seat of a car. From 1995-1998 there was a sudden spike in child deaths from airbags, which appears to have motivated the pivot to having babies in the back seat and decreasing the airbag deaths, but in turn this did increase hot car deaths.
(Though, it looks like child car deaths overall have increased from 1995 onwards; I think it's hard to say whether or not it actually happened more, or if something about the record-keeping or reporting process changed.)
It looks like 2020 and 2021 were a drop from the deadliest years of 2018 and 2019, but there are rarely years in which hot car deaths in the US number less than 30.
Data from https://www.kidsandcars.org/document_center/download/hot-cars/Child-Hot-Car-Deaths-Data-Analysis.pdf
Wonder if the 2020 drop was Covid related. Also assume school shootings decreased in 2020 too.

Yep. We say that. But studies show “good parents “ do this too. Lots of stories about bad parents too, of course. But just Google it…school principals, dentists, nurse practitioners, veterinarians, etc. Not just drunk caregivers. Loving parents do it. I don’t really get it either, but it’s a “thing” for sure.

One day, hopefully all vehicles will have alerts on seats (many do now) and these unintended situations won’t happen anymore. In the meantime, our babies will continue to die.
Sorry, I will never get it. I guess I'm just not as forgiving. It's not in the realm of a mishap for me, MO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back