Omaha double murder

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been sitting here going over this in my head. Just some random questions..

If you were Shirlee and an unknown adult came to the door asking for Tom, would you call him upstairs? I can't say that I would have. I'd have wanted to know who he was, and even then, I'd have asked him to return later....when the parents were home. This leads me to believe once the door was open, the perp pushed his way in.

Has it ever been determined, or released, who is thought to have been killed first? I'd imagine, Shirlee would have tried her hardest to protect Tom if she were able.

Did anyone see the perp leave? If so, how much time did he spend inside the home?

This case is perplexing. I hope justice will be served for Tom and Shirlee.

I thought Shirlee was killed first and Tom may have come upstairs when he heard the commotion. I still have a hard time thinking Tom was the target unless he was killed to hurt the parents.

I am just speculating here but I feel the perp knew enough about Tom's schedule and arrived at a time when he knew his parent's would not be home. I'm just thinking about a child who logs in at the same time after school each day like clockwork. Then says to other players after an hour or so, I gotta log off and go do homework before my dad (or mom) gets home from work. Then logs on again later in the evening before bedtime.

The perp may have not expected Shirlee to be there.

If Tom was expecting a 'friend' he may have requested Shirlee stay late because he knew his parent's didn't allow him to open the door or receive visitors without an adult presentand he could have felt threatened or dread. JMO but I'm sure that Tom had rules from Mom and Dad to follow. The perp may not have expected Shirlee's presence. Also why would Tom not have scheduled it for later when his Dad had returned from work?

I think the perp was after something small, like a zip drive, like snick suggested. Something that wouldn't be missed by the Hunter's because they were unaware he had it in the first place.

All MOO.

wm

I have a hard time believing Tom and Shirlee were killed over a video game or cheat codes, but stranger things have happened.

In my mind this boils down to a few issues; If the knives were from the home, lacks premeditation and shows a situation escalated within the home, I find this scenario unlikely. Knives were not from the home, shows premeditation and could indicate the murders were a professional hit. IMO, after reading the interview with CH, I think the knives were NOT from the home. I always find myself back at Creighton University or looking to revenge on a parent for the motive in this case ...

Snipped from the interview with Claire Hunter;
"The killer left behind bloody knives, Claire Hunter said. But police told the Hunters that they found little other physical evidence."
What we don't hear is whether or not any of the killer's DNA was found on those knives. Would LE or family say if it DNA was found? If this was not a professional hit, how would they NOT find DNA on the knives? Viciously stabbing to death two people and not a single nick? No fingerprints, no DNA under the victims fingernails? Smacks of a professional hit to me.

I have a hard time believing Tom and Shirlee were killed over a video game or cheat codes, but stranger things have happened.

In my mind this boils down to a few issues; If the knives were from the home, lacks premeditation and shows a situation escalated within the home, I find this scenario unlikely. Knives were not from the home, shows premeditation and could indicate the murders were a professional hit. IMO, after reading the interview with CH, I think the knives were NOT from the home. I always find myself back at Creighton University or looking to revenge on a parent for the motive in this case ...

Snipped from the interview with Claire Hunter;
"The killer left behind bloody knives, Claire Hunter said. But police told the Hunters that they found little other physical evidence."
What we don't hear is whether or not any of the killer's DNA was found on those knives. Would LE or family say if it DNA was found? If this was not a professional hit, how would they NOT find DNA on the knives? Viciously stabbing to death two people and not a single nick? No fingerprints, no DNA under the victims fingernails? Smacks of a professional hit to me.

If the man in the topcoat carrying the briefcase or satchel was the killer and came prepared with the knives, he probably would have been smart enough to wear gloves as well. The reason I think Tom answered the door is because of the half eaten sandwich on the dining room table. He would have been nearest the door and, as a teenager, I doubt that he would have had any reservations about opening the door. Shirley was probably in the back part of the house (kitchen maybe) and heard the commotion, came forward in the house and was killed in the hallway.

I don't think the killer was after Shirlee. Unfortunately, I think she was just as the wrong place at the wrong time. If she had been the target, it would have been much easier to nab her as she was leaving the Hunter home or follow her to her home.

In my gut, I don't feel like a computer game was at the bottom of this. They could have broken into the house when no one was home and stolen the computer and Gaming Box. I feel like someone's reputation and/or career was on the line.

Thanks for the link Knox! Very interesting. Do you feel that these murders are connected to Creighton? I feel like there is a connection. My speculation regarding the video game is that the perp was using the game as a way to 'track' Tom or perhaps used the game as a front to bribe him in exchange for something. My hunch is that 'something' has a connection to Creighton.

MOO

Thanks WM! I had not thought about the online video gaming being used as a tool to track Tom or perhaps more likely his IP addy. I am weak on how tracking is done, can a specific address be found or just a IP provider and a generalized area? Maybe someone can pick up the ball on this one and educate us.

That's a scary thought though, someone tracking him though the gaming. Remember how the perp seemed to be unsure of which house he was looking for? That could fit nicely with a possible Creighton connection. I wish we knew whether his computer was a laptop or desktop. If it was a laptop, chances are he brought it with him on days he went to work with Dad? Or your thought of a thumbdrive would fit too, maybe he downloaded data and put it on his computer at home. Someone suspected he had information and they used video gaming to get his IP addy and then hacked into his computer and found said info? Remember the big science fair at his school? Maybe Tom innocently came across something at Creighton and thought he could use the info for his project at school.

I am getting off on a farfetched tangent I know. I mean what could possibly be so important? Research data, improper medical trials, trafficking of human body parts? As I said, pretty farfetched.

What if one of the foreign medical students was selling drugs out of Creighton and Tom found about it?

Thanks WM! I had not thought about the online video gaming being used as a tool to track Tom or perhaps more likely his IP addy. I am weak on how tracking is done, can a specific address be found or just a IP provider and a generalized area? Maybe someone can pick up the ball on this one and educate us.

That's a scary thought though, someone tracking him though the gaming. Remember how the perp seemed to be unsure of which house he was looking for? That could fit nicely with a possible Creighton connection. I wish we knew whether his computer was a laptop or desktop. If it was a laptop, chances are he brought it with him on days he went to work with Dad? Or your thought of a thumbdrive would fit too, maybe he downloaded data and put it on his computer at home. Someone suspected he had information and they used video gaming to get his IP addy and then hacked into his computer and found said info? Remember the big science fair at his school? Maybe Tom innocently came across something at Creighton and thought he could use the info for his project at school.

I am getting off on a farfetched tangent I know. I mean what could possibly be so important? Research data, improper medical trials, trafficking of human body parts? As I said, pretty farfetched.

Not as farfetched as you might think Knox. I was watching a documentary on NatGeo channel yesterday about the Russian mob,(which we have discussed here). One thing really stood out to me as notable.

Many new Russian immigrants entered the US after the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, IIRC. This new influx caused a new generation of Russian mobsters in the US. Out with the old in with the new!

These new mobsters preferred to commit white collar crimes as opposed to violent crimes. One of the crimes was bribing a man who owed them money. The man's wife worked for medicare and the RM forgave the debt in exchange for medicare files which included personal info on individuals!

I would imagine Creighton's records would be desirable for a criminal. IMO, perps and predators are much more sophisticated these days in their quest for information on victims.

I'm just throwing out different ideas here. Not always necessarily my opinion but feel we should examine all avenues.

wm

OT sort of but I wondered if anyone else saw this story.....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,570870,00.html?test=latestnews

This Dr. taught plastic surgery at Tulane University's medical center. He was stabbed and then his home was set afire. Very disturbing and sad.

Could it be connected? I have no doubt organized crime has tried to infilitrate university medical centers through the means of employees/students. Not sure if it's related to the Omaha case, but just a general theory on my end.

Could it be connected? I have no doubt organized crime has tried to infilitrate university medical centers through the means of employees/students. Not sure if it's related to the Omaha case, but just a general theory on my end.

I think there could be a possibility due to the similarities. IF there is RM involvement in this case, it may take years to solve. According to the documentary, snitches are rare and it is difficult to infiltrate the 'brigade', although it has happened.

Prolly just coincidence but one never knows.

MOO

wm

I think there could be a possibility due to the similarities. IF there is RM involvement in this case, it may take years to solve. According to the documentary, snitches are rare and it is difficult to infiltrate the 'brigade', although it has happened.

Prolly just coincidence but one never knows.

MOO

wm

Yes, I'm sure it would be extraordinarily complex to look into. I'm sure someone could write a book on it.

OT sort of but I wondered if anyone else saw this story.....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,570870,00.html?test=latestnews

This Dr. taught plastic surgery at Tulane University's medical center. He was stabbed and then his home was set afire. Very disturbing and sad.

There is a thread about this murder on websleuths/news

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91018"]LA- New Orleans Plastic Surgeon found stabbed to death in his home 10/31/09 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

What if one of the foreign medical students was selling drugs out of Creighton and Tom found about it?

YellowDog, I think this is a possibility. It seems many here feel there is a Creighton connection. I felt stronger about this after reading the history of Jesuits. I had a link to the article at one time and will try and locate it for those who may not have read it.

wm

Maybe Tom uncovered something the Jesuits themselves were doing that was either illegal, unethical or scandalous.

One assumption that has been made all along is that the attacker struck without knowing Shirlee was in the house that day. I got a thought the other day- what if the opposite was true? Maybe he waited until she was there.
I'm sure Tom had been told by his parents not to go to the door or let in anyone while home alone. I have been told that Shirlee had a habit of leaving the kitchen door unlocked while working there so she could go in and out easily for supplies, etc. It would be a whole lot easier for the perp to slip in that door rather than go to the front. Also while in the kitchen he could have taken knives off the counter.
If this were a contract killing it would then follow that the originator was someone who would have known this pattern of behavior. In other words, a family member or close family 'friend'. Or someone who would be in a position to get this sort of information from someone in the family.
I sometimes think the solution to this thing lies somewhere close to home. Also that the Hunters know more than they are letting on or even are telling LE. Perhaps out of fear for their other sons maybe?

Interesting thoughts Snick, hmmnn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members