Found Deceased OR - Anna 'Annie' Schmidt, 21, Columbia River Gorge, 16 Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Annie's mother has commented on Annie's page that they are looking for repellers and mountain climbers because they feel they need to check the Columbia River. Not sure how the two are related if there are cliffs around there. But its interesting mom wants to check the river. I wonder if they have received something credible.

Also Damon with the non-profit to organize things is being taken to task for making this seem like a crime scene before its time. I hate groups like his that come in and do nothing but make organization more unorganized. He is refusing anyone talking about the case because it brings on conspiracy theories. And has been actively banning people for saying he is wrong.

That why family's should let Leo do the case for a awhile. outsiders live on reputations also excitement of power tripping.. also conspiracy theories. If they work the case after some time they can write a books or do a tv movie etc etc. Non profit don't mean ,you can't make a profit .

I'm not saying they are all this way or that guy is ok. I'm saying not all of them worth their salt or worth the stress. They should let leo work the case for atleast 1 yrs before you bring in a in outsider but all in 1 week..Its not a good look. Her is mother already claiming she dead and then bring in outsider to work the case.

I do think her intention are pure and kind also of good intent for her daughter. I'm not trying to undertone. She has to be very careful because this is very common for a Insurance Fraud thing that a lot do, if her daughter is alive in this case. it wont be a good look.. I don't know if she know that. I hope they slow down and not the let moment of emotion to get the best of them in these circumstances.. Its hard but give it due process.Every Faith is about having Faith

Alot stories not adding up here which equal a 3rd party. If someone did do something to her daughter. Then they are very sloppy .. Maybe not if there rumors of her trying to car hop to California.. Like i said time will tell

I just reread the original info about this case. The police said her phone and "camping gear" were in the car. What kind of camping gear? Her roommate said that she didn't take her camping gear, so what was in the car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think in the initial media reports it said two sleeping bags were in her trunk but don't quote me on it.

[video=youtube;B4VfWfexbrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VfWfexbrs[/video]

Where are you Annie?

Did anyone else catch that her car was not actually in the Tooth Rock Trailhead parking lot? It was on the side of the road on the off ramp to I84/40 exit.

I can easily see if she did go on a hike her falling and getting hurt but it sounds like the search teams have covered all possible ground with humans, dogs both SAR dogs and recovery dogs, helicopter, and drones. I did read a comment that dogs did pick up her scent on a trail but that info hasn't been officially released.

Not trying to be morbid here but if she were in the area deceased but hidden by brush or trees, would there be an odor by now? If she drowned, wouldn't her body rise to surface by now?

So confusing. I don't feel she is on the trails. I think abducted but hope I'm wrong. It is quite disheartening though to see all the comments alleging her to definitely be deceased already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Did anyone else catch that her car was not actually in the Tooth Rock Trailhead parking lot? It was on the side of the road on the off ramp to I84/40 exit.

I can easily see if she did go on a hike her falling and getting hurt but it sounds like the search teams have covered all possible ground with humans, dogs both SAR dogs and recovery dogs, helicopter, and drones. I did read a comment that dogs did pick up her scent on a trail but that info hasn't been officially released.

Not trying to be morbid here but if she were in the area deceased but hidden by brush or trees, would there be an odor by now? If she drowned, wouldn't her body rise to surface by now?

So confusing. I don't feel she is on the trails. I think abducted but hope I'm wrong. It is quite disheartening though to see all the comments alleging her to definitely be deceased already.

From what I have read, her car was at the Tooth Rock Trailhead, which is about a half mile from Exit 40. But if it was closer to the interstate, I'm not sure that would change anything.

My gut feeling is that her body is in the area near where her car was found. Why the searchers did not find her, I don't really have an answer. But I do question how well this search was handled. I'm not really sure what was accomplished by flooding the area with hundreds of amature searchers. It shouldn't take that many people to search that area. Having that many people out there just complicates things. I read that at one point they had seven searchers get lost. Having to search for searchers didn't help matters. I also question the quality of the SAR dogs. The one picture of a SAR dog I saw did not look like a very good tracking dog.

If I was in charge of a search like that I would block off the area and only allow professional searchers in. I would use a lot of drones to search from the air, and I would get some high quality Bloodhounds there to to try and pick up her scent. But all of that is too late now. I hope they found some clues in her car. Because that might be the best hope for finding her now.

It's reported here:

Snipped...
...Her car was found Thursday on the side of the road near the Tooth Rock trailhead near the Bonneville dam exit off of Interstate 84.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2016/10/rope_crews_rappell_gorge_cliff.html

:thinking:

ETA: Right handside of page 2 shows the area, just an observation it seems there is an actual parking lot at Toothrock trailhead, fwiw - why didn't she use it?...maybe it is closed this time of year??? :confused: :dunno:
http://oregonstateparks.org/ckFiles/files/HCRH_BikeMaps.pdf

From what I have read, her car was at the Tooth Rock Trailhead, which is about a half mile from Exit 40. But if it was closer to the interstate, I'm not sure that would change anything.

My gut feeling is that her body is in the area near where her car was found. Why the searchers did not find her, I don't really have an answer. But I do question how well this search was handled. I'm not really sure what was accomplished by flooding the area with hundreds of amature searchers. It shouldn't take that many people to search that area. Having that many people out there just complicates things. I read that at one point they had seven searchers get lost. Having to search for searchers didn't help matters. I also question the quality of the SAR dogs. The one picture of a SAR dog I saw did not look like a very good tracking dog.

If I was in charge of a search like that I would block off the area and only allow professional searchers in. I would use a lot of drones to search from the air, and I would get some high quality Bloodhounds there to to try and pick up her scent. But all of that is too late now. I hope they found some clues in her car. Because that might be the best hope for finding her now.

I agree, she could still be there not far from the trail. From what I saw of the amateur searchers they were only walking on the trails, not venturing off of them to search.

So is there any way to know if they are still investigating? I did see the detective's email address on Annie's Facebook if anyone has tips.

The car was found on the side of the exit 40 off ramp. This might seem like an unusual spot, but this image, taken from google maps, shows 5 vehicles parked in that exact location. So obviously this is a common place for hikers to park.
attachment.php

Attachments

• annie_schmidt_car.jpg
    annie_schmidt_car.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 303
Could the reason for the family being so sure Annie is deceased and searches being called off be that they found a note? Maybe in the car, on her phone, or in her room?

Could the reason for the family being so sure Annie is deceased and searches being called off be that they found a note? Maybe in the car, on her phone, or in her room?

It definitely wouldn't be the first time the family was aware of a note but it wasn't made public.

I'm not very familiar with the LDS, would a Mormon be saying she is in Heaven if they think she committed suicide?
IMO, her mom said that because of how bad the weather had been and she knew Annie didn't have her gear with her.

Annie's mother has commented on Annie's page that they are looking for repellers and mountain climbers because they feel they need to check the Columbia River. Not sure how the two are related if there are cliffs around there. But its interesting mom wants to check the river. I wonder if they have received something credible.

Also Damon with the non-profit to organize things is being taken to task for making this seem like a crime scene before its time. I hate groups like his that come in and do nothing but make organization more unorganized. He is refusing anyone talking about the case because it brings on conspiracy theories. And has been actively banning people for saying he is wrong.

I've been actively checking Annie's fb page & the search page every day hoping for good news just like everyone else. But ever since Damon took over the search page it seems like it's become HIS page. The page was fine before. Deleting comments that others may find helpful & banning those that don't obey him is not helping anything. Keep the focus on Finding Annie <3 <3 <3

It definitely wouldn't be the first time the family was aware of a note but it wasn't made public.

Was there a note from another time? Or do you mean there was a note in this case no one has heard about?

Also, I noticed her Mom commented yesterday that they feel like they need to check the water in the Columbia River at this point. I wonder if that's just standard procedure or if there is info that is pointing them that direction.

Such a sad situation & I hope & pray they can find her <3 <3 <3

I'm not very familiar with the LDS, would a Mormon be saying she is in Heaven if they think she committed suicide?
IMO, her mom said that because of how bad the weather had been and she knew Annie didn't have her gear with her.

A Mormon's belief of heaven is too broad a subject to discuss here. Lol. However, Mormons believe that suicide is a sin, equal to that of taking someone else's life. Man did not create himself; God did, so therefore he has no right to destroy that which he had nothing to do with creating. However, having said that, only our Heavenly Father knows what is truly in our hearts and minds. Therefore, if someone is suffering to the extent that they feel that suicide is their only option, we believe that He will take into consideration the person's mental state, genetic and chemical makeup, intellectual capacity, the teachings they have received and their health, before passing judgement on that person and their salvation. In order to keep this strictly about finding Annie and not necessarily about her's or her family's beliefs, I invite you to visit www.LDS.org, where you can search for all of the information you like. [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I am just wondering who is Damon that is mentioned above and who is Leo that is referenced? I noticed last night that after I posted a comforting msg on the Piano Guys fb post that someone replied to me, asking if any psychics had been contacted to see if they could feel where Annie was. I was falling asleep as the msg came through so I kind of was in a daze and in disbelief that someone was adding this reply to my comment. I was afraid that everyone was going to jump my case for this person suggesting this but when I refreshed my page to see if there were any other replies that reply was totally gone like either she or someone else deleted it. I do think it is a valid question and I was wondering it myself. Usually when there is a missing person case there are more details that come out but with Annie there is no news at all.

So I might be the last to figure this out but there is a Find Annie Schmidt fb page and it looks like people are still searching. I get the impression that they went public calling off the search because they had too many inexperienced hikers looking, (7 lost rescuers at one point). I found there who Damon is. They stated they are focusing on the 2 miles around where her car was found based on information from the sheriff office. I do feel better that they are still searching but still no news of any other sort of investigating. I am still holding out hope that she is out there somewhere, on the trail or elsewhere.

So I might be the last to figure this out but there is a Find Annie Schmidt fb page and it looks like people are still searching. I get the impression that they went public calling off the search because they had too many inexperienced hikers looking, (7 lost rescuers at one point). I found there who Damon is. They stated they are focusing on the 2 miles around where her car was found based on information from the sheriff office. I do feel better that they are still searching but still no news of any other sort of investigating. I am still holding out hope that she is out there somewhere, on the trail or elsewhere.

They need to call in a professional SAR group.

The car was found on the side of the exit 40 off ramp. This might seem like an unusual spot, but this image, taken from google maps, shows 5 vehicles parked in that exact location. So obviously this is a common place for hikers to park.
attachment.php
Thank you for this! It does appear to be a normal parking spot, I assume trying to avoid paying for a pass. However, where she parked is much closer to Wachella Falls trailhead and not Toothrock. How far apart are they in respect of each trailhead to car?

I don't think any searchers have followed water trails like Tanner Creek, Eagle Creek, etc. If she got hurt or lost, she may have made it near water off trail or on trail but in the group they said each area listed has been searched at least four times.

The Tooth Rock Trailhead parking lot is about 1/3 mile to the NE. According to OregonHikers.com, there is no overnight parking allowed. If one wanted to stay overnight that would be a reason to park elsewhere.

Regarding suicide and religion: the reason suicide is highly frowned upon among many religions is that a person who commits the serious sin of suicide cannot confess that sin and have it removed from their soul. So not only are they committing a serious sin, but they carry it with them forever, and it generally does, therefore, prevent them from going to heaven.

I think at this point this case does seem like one of misadventure. Suicide or foul play can not be ruled out, though. I wish we had more solid information. For example: did she have her hiking gear with her, or not? We have reports she didn't have it with her, other reports she wanted to try out her new gear, and yet other reports her new gear had not arrived yet. Which is it?

There are also reports the last cell phone ping was from the Tooth Rock Trailhead, which is 1/3 mile from where the car was found. Are these reports accurate, or are they generalizing? Did the last ping come from where the car was parked, or not? I don't think the pings actually contain GPS data, they only give the nearest cell tower, but who knows? She could have had some GPS tracking turned on.

There were early reports that the police did not suspect foul play, and did not think Annie was suicidal. These reports were not properly sourced, though, so I'm not sure if the police actually said that or not.

The reporting on this case has been extremely unreliable... I feel like we actually know almost nothing...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marjulius
Back