Found Deceased OR - Anna 'Annie' Schmidt, 21, Columbia River Gorge, 16 Oct 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think it's fair to jump to conclusions about what happened to her based on the possibility she smokes weed. Weird imo

I think the weed references just shock some people because AS comes from a very LDS family and went on a mission herself. A kid who goes from being 100% devout, moves away to Portland, which is a very free-thinking, independent and "hippie" type of place (no disrespect meant to any Portlandians BTW) and shows signs of changes in personality, music and "recreational pastimes" can cause a red flag to shoot up. Again, maybe not the average kid, but LDS kids are held to a higher standard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Right? And in Oregon!
Just have to share. Just moved from Oregon to southern Idaho. Culture shock. I went from marijuana dispensaries on every corner to LDS church buildings on every corner. The two are nothing alike. It's so strange to think about getting arrested for weed here buta few hundred miles west no problem. Moving here was like stepping back in time 20 years in that regard.

But if she was using marijuana, I can see that being an internal struggle because of the word of wisdom and all. And if her family and LDS friends found out, you can bet there was an issue. I wasn't even allowed soda very much as a kid and NEVER cola. So of course now I practically mainline Pepsi. Forbidden fruit I guess.

Video of Annie Schmidt Singing

Here are a couple of links to a lovely video of Sister Schmidt singing
during the time she served the Latter Day Saints Georgia Macon Mission.

Warning: You might cry. But it's nice to see her in action
and hear what a beautiful, expressive singer she is.

Nearer My God to Thee Duet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VfWfexbrs

Watch Annie Schmidt Sing "Nearer My God to Thee" on Her LDS Mission
http://www.ldsdaily.com/world/watch-annie-schmidt-sing-nearer-my-god-to-thee-on-her-lds-mission/

How absolutely beautiful. This song always gives me goosebumps when my daughters sing it. She has a wonderful voice! It did make me cry, I sincerely hope she just needed a break and is found safe quickly!

I think the weed references just shock some people because AS comes from a very LDS family and went on a mission herself. A kid who goes from being 100% devout, moves away to Portland, which is a very free-thinking, independent and "hippie" type of place (no disrespect meant to any Portlandians BTW) and shows signs of changes in personality, music and "recreational pastimes" can cause a red flag to shoot up. Again, maybe not the average kid, but LDS kids are held to a higher standard.

Respectfully, we don't know she was 100% devout, but I'm sure she was taught to behave that way. Being "held to a higher standard" is usually not from free choice. I would imagine she began critically questioning a lot once she was on her own.

Respectfully, we don't know she was 100% devout, but I'm sure she was taught to behave that way. Being "held to a higher standard" is usually not from free choice. I would imagine she began critically questioning a lot once she was on her own.
True. Females going on missions is a bit more rare than males, and we don't know if she went because she truly wanted to or because it was expected of her (if it was I don't know I was pressured old school to just marry an "RM," which is LDS for returned missionary).
Lots to wonder about here.

I am not saying this happened to her because of pot but someone coming from a very strict lifestyle. They dont even drink caffeine because its considered a drug. I think she was strugling with something. And it was probably parents or religion. And some people might have the funds, car, house etc but still leave it all behind because its a clean break. Maybe she felt guilty taking the car because it was mom and dads car and not hers. You never know.

For those ex-LDS or even still LDS i have a question. I dont understand the religion real well. Is it frowned upon to be friends with say good people who are non-LDS? I know crazy question but I have had good friends who I thought were close but then treated me badly because it seemed like their LDS friends came first. I always felt left out kind of like an inside joke that you were left out of.

Can someone help me understand this? I recently stopped commincating with that friend because it was hurtful how she treated me. Its loke from the way she treated me she wouldnt notice anyways. We do not live in the same state by the way.

OT but just curious.

I am new to this site so I hope I am posting correctly. I have visited a few times in the past when I have been researching missing persons in our area but have always been a guest. Annie"s case really concerns me because I absolutely adore her dad's group, TPG. We saw them in concert a couple of months ago and my face hurt at the end of the night from smiling so much. The whole group just seems to be really good people. All 3 of our kids play piano so Jon, her dad is a little bit of a hero in our family. My heart is breaking for her family right now. Anyway, I am wondering, I have not seen it discussed anywhere, but do we know that her car was operational when it was found? I am wondering if she went out for a quick hike, the weather got bad and when she went back in her car maybe it did not start. If she was hunkering down in her car that was dead, someone could have taken her at that point. I know it's a long shot but is there any belief that this is an open investigation as a missing person or abduction case or does LE just close it as a hiker gone missing case? I just can't help thinking she is out there with someone. I hate the thought of it being open/close.

For those ex-LDS or even still LDS i have a question. I dont understand the religion real well. Is it frowned upon to be friends with say good people who are non-LDS? I know crazy question but I have had good friends who I thought were close but then treated me badly because it seemed like their LDS friends came first. I always felt left out kind of like an inside joke that you were left out of.

Can someone help me understand this? I recently stopped commincating with that friend because it was hurtful how she treated me. Its loke from the way she treated me she wouldnt notice anyways. We do not live in the same state by the way.

OT but just curious.
Not a stupid question at all. In my experience the non LDS kids were definitely treated differently than the LDS kids, by kids and sometimes parents. My parents, especially my dad, were/are very devout. I knew soon after entering kindergarten that I was supposed to convert my non LDS friends. I was definitely pressured to invite them to church activities but also keep them at arm's length, as to not be influenced by them. The influence was only to go one way. Again, though, I grew up in a devout household "behind the Mormon curtain," which just means in the super concentrated (funny how my phone really wanted me to say "consecrated" there) LDS population. But I was an early questioner and quit going as soon as I was allowed. Even sent in the official resignation paperwork during a certain past election, because those numbers you hear about how many church members they have include people who were baptized but not active for years, decades, like me, and I am not cool with that.
Every LDS family is different, though, so I can only speak to my experience and perspective.

Not a stupid question at all. In my experience the non LDS kids were definitely treated differently than the LDS kids, by kids and sometimes parents. My parents, especially my dad, were/are very devout. I knew soon after entering kindergarten that I was supposed to convert my non LDS friends. I was definitely pressured to invite them to church activities but also keep them at arm's length, as to not be influenced by them. The influence was only to go one way. Again, though, I grew up in a devout household "behind the Mormon curtain," which just means in the super concentrated (funny how my phone really wanted me to say "consecrated" there) LDS population. But I was an early questioner and quit going as soon as I was allowed. Even sent in the official resignation paperwork during a certain past election, because those numbers you hear about how many church members they have include people who were baptized but not active for years, decades, like me, and I am not cool with that.
Every LDS family is different, though, so I can only speak to my experience and perspective.

Thank you for sharing and your perspective. That does help. My friend and I were friends during our adult life but still what you said makes sense.

Thank you

True. Females going on missions is a bit more rare than males, and we don't know if she went because she truly wanted to or because it was expected of her (if it was I don't know I was pressured old school to just marry an "RM," which is LDS for returned missionary).
Lots to wonder about here.

It's actually not that rare at all anymore for females to go on missions. In fact, since they lowered the age, it's pretty common and it definitely is a choice. I really can't Imagine someone forcing their children to go on a mission because it would compromise the whole purpose of the mission.

OT but just curious.

I'm not sure that this is the proper place to discuss this but I will say that it is NOT frowned upon in the LDS church to be friends with non-members. In fact, it would be the opposite. I'm afraid you've just had the misfortune of knowing some mean girls. Although LDS people seem like they are squeaky clean, there are idiots in the bunch just like there are in other religions. However, people with LIKE beliefs seem to hang around together. It's only natural. I grew up in a heavily-populated Mormon city in California. Most of my friends were LDS. I didn't drink or smoke, so I didn't hang around with people that did. There are not many LDS kids in my city now, so my kids had very few LDS friends. I think it just depends on geography and good upbringing.

I am new to this site so I hope I am posting correctly. I have visited a few times in the past when I have been researching missing persons in our area but have always been a guest. Annie"s case really concerns me because I absolutely adore her dad's group, TPG. We saw them in concert a couple of months ago and my face hurt at the end of the night from smiling so much. The whole group just seems to be really good people. All 3 of our kids play piano so Jon, her dad is a little bit of a hero in our family. My heart is breaking for her family right now. Anyway, I am wondering, I have not seen it discussed anywhere, but do we know that her car was operational when it was found? I am wondering if she went out for a quick hike, the weather got bad and when she went back in her car maybe it did not start. If she was hunkering down in her car that was dead, someone could have taken her at that point. I know it's a long shot but is there any belief that this is an open investigation as a missing person or abduction case or does LE just close it as a hiker gone missing case? I just can't help thinking she is out there with someone. I hate the thought of it being open/close.

Welcome. Glad you decided join WS.

You raise good points about the car. I don't know the answer and hopefully it was checked out.

It's actually not that rare at all anymore for females to go on missions. In fact, since they lowered the age, it's pretty common and it definitely is a choice. I really can't Imagine someone forcing their children to go on a mission because it would compromise the whole purpose of the mission.

I'm not sure that this is the proper place to discuss this but I will say that it is NOT frowned upon in the LDS church to be friends with non-members. In fact, it would be the opposite. I'm afraid you've just had the misfortune of knowing some mean girls. Although LDS people seem like they are squeaky clean, there are idiots in the bunch just like there are in other religions. However, people with LIKE beliefs seem to hang around together. It's only natural. I grew up in a heavily-populated Mormon city in California. Most of my friends were LDS. I didn't drink or smoke, so I didn't hang around with people that did. There are not many LDS kids in my city now, so my kids had very few LDS friends. I think it just depends on geography and good upbringing.

Thank you for your answer. I grew up in an area with a large LDS population (Oregon) and never got the feeling they were avoiding us non-LDS kids.

And thanks to the magic of Facebook I still call some of them friends today. :)

AS has only been living in Oregon since July. That would seem that she knows the summer weather but wouldn't be familiar with the fall weather. Does it rain more in the fall? I've read where someone said the weather was really bad that weekend. What if she went up to scope out a place for her trip with mom, got too deep in and it started raining? She tried to get back, slipped and fell? Regardless what happened, I wish I had the strength (and testimony) of her parents. They are just pillars of strength. Her mom released a statement after cancelling the search and although in NO way am I saying they are not grieving, it was so poignant, comforting and loving, it just really touched me.

AS has only been living in Oregon since July. That would seem that she knows the summer weather but wouldn't be familiar with the fall weather. Does it rain more in the fall? I've read where someone said the weather was really bad that weekend. What if she went up to scope out a place for her trip with mom, got too deep in and it started raining? She tried to get back, slipped and fell? Regardless what happened, I wish I had the strength (and testimony) of her parents. They are just pillars of strength. Her mom released a statement after cancelling the search and although in NO way am I saying they are not grieving, it was so poignant, comforting and loving, it just really touched me.

Yes if it was the weekend of our bad storm we had hurricane force winds. Not as bad as florida but still strong wind gusts that came in from the coast. Normally strong winds come in from eastern Oregon and meet with the winds from the coast. But this tike they came in from the coast. also we always have Columbus Day storms which are high wind and rain. We are very rainy now and the gorge can be dangerous because of fallen trees and slippery rocks and slopes. Also lots of water so streams were like rivers and we have mud slides. its possibly to hike in the gorge but like the guy who fell to his death last weekend across the river its not always safe.

As per the Find Annie fb group, the photo she posted on her Twitter was a picture a friend sent to her and the friend and the picture location is in California. So that gives no leads other than she or someone on her phone tweeted that at 2:25 pm. The Snapchat she sent out was of a picture of her in the woods with no identifying information. A family friend who has been searching did confirm to me that her phone WAS in her car. It makes no absolute sense that she would hike out into the woods and then go back to her car to leave her phone there and then go back to hike further. She had to have gone back to her car to take her phone there and something happened likely there since we also know the car was broke into and ransacked.

The other lost hiker was found because he had his phone with him and the phone gave them his location. Annie's phone lead them to her car but not Annie.

At this point we have potentially:
1. Lost, injured, or death by accident somewhere on the trails.
2. Death by accident on purpose/suicide, likely somewhere the trails.
3. Disappeared on purpose.
4. Abducted.

I'm leaning towards #4 because:
1. Roommate's stories do not add up and seem fishy.
2. Annie lived in Portland but last debits to her card were in Beaverton. Out of the way/route from Portland to Toothrock Trailhead. Doesn't fit into the story that we know of unless maybe her church was in Beaverton?
3. Annie's phone was in her car.
4. Her car was found broken into and ransacked but phone not taken.
5. She took no supplies for a planned hike, i.e. no backpack, no boots.
6. Weather was windy and rainy, not great hiking weather. Had lots of flooding and slippery slopes from previous bad storms on Saturday.

Anything I missed?

I'm happy to hear others had different experiences than I.
:)
I hope today is the day we find some news about Annie, hopefully good news.

As per the Find Annie fb group, the photo she posted on her Twitter was a picture a friend sent to her and the friend and the picture location is in California. So that gives no leads other than she or someone on her phone tweeted that at 2:25 pm. The Snapchat she sent out was of a picture of her in the woods with no identifying information. A family friend who has been searching did confirm to me that her phone WAS in her car. It makes no absolute sense that she would hike out into the woods and then go back to her car to leave her phone there and then go back to hike further. She had to have gone back to her car to take her phone there and something happened likely there since we also know the car was broke into and ransacked.

The other lost hiker was found because he had his phone with him and the phone gave them his location. Annie's phone lead them to her car but not Annie.

At this point we have potentially:
1. Lost, injured, or death by accident somewhere on the trails.
2. Death by accident on purpose/suicide, likely somewhere the trails.
3. Disappeared on purpose.
4. Abducted.

I'm leaning towards #4 because:
1. Roommate's stories do not add up and seem fishy.
2. Annie lived in Portland but last debits to her card were in Beaverton. Out of the way/route from Portland to Toothrock Trailhead. Doesn't fit into the story that we know of unless maybe her church was in Beaverton?
3. Annie's phone was in her car.
4. Her car was found broken into and ransacked but phone not taken.
5. She took no supplies for a planned hike, i.e. no backpack, no boots.
6. Weather was windy and rainy, not great hiking weather. Had lots of flooding and slippery slopes from previous bad storms on Saturday.

Anything I missed?

Nope you covered it all. I am leaning towards 3 or 4 myself.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back