GUILTY OR - Brooke Wilberger, 19, Eugene, 24 May 2004 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is there anyone who thinks this guy has done this only three times in 20 years? I don't think so," KATU Crime Expert C.W. Jensen said.

I am sure this monster has many more victims, perhaps some were raped but not murdered. Le should be checking his DNA in unsolved rape/murder cases involving white, young females in multiple states.

Usher737 said:
Is there anyone who thinks this guy has done this only three times in 20 years? I don't think so," KATU Crime Expert C.W. Jensen said.

I am sure this monster has many more victims, perhaps some were raped but not murdered. Le should be checking his DNA in unsolved rape/murder cases involving white, young females in multiple states.

And not just college students. The college may have just been the draw, where he knew he would find "his" type, but may have just been for the purpose of finding them, not actually required for his fantasy.

It seems that Brooke's abduction was not planned. Since I know the area pretty well from where Brooke was abducted I noticed something interesting. He was on his way to Newport which the road you take from Corvallis is right by Reser's statdium which is right near the apartments Brookes sister and brother-in-law managed. So he probably really was on his way for the speeding ticket, got close to the college and checked it out. There he saw Brooke cleaning the lamp posts and she fit the profile of girls he liked, and he took the opportunity that presented itself. He then took off on Hwy 99 (I believe that is what it is called) the one that connects Corvallis and Rickreal and drove erratically. Brian saw him driving erratically and called 911 when his cell phone stopped working for whatever reason. From personal experience there is a LOT of deadspots in that area. When my husband called me while coming home from work in Dallas almost every time he hit near the Rickreal area he lost his call. So, it is making more and more sense.

Here is a good map showing what I was talking about.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Corvallis,+OR

Make the map the size of where you can see Oregon State University and Reser Stadium clearly as well as all the major surrounding roads.

Hwy 34 that then turns into Hwy 20 is the road you take to go to Newport. Keep going west on this road and you run into Newport. This is the road I believe he was taking. You can see this runs right next to Reser's Stadium. In fact you can see the Stadium very clearly from this road. I believe he pulled into this area while on his way to court. He saw Brooke and that no one was around, grabbed her and then look at the map again. He took one of those major yellow roads to get back to Hwy 99. Most likely he took 3rd street as it actually turns into 99. 99 goes directly through Rickreal and then at the junction you can turn left and go to Dallas or Lincoln City, turn right and go to Salem or go straight and run into McMinnville. This is where Brian saw him driving erratically.

Heiser and police have said little about what evidence they have that connects Courtney with the Wilberger case, though Courtney's connection to Wilberger's disappearance was confirmed, in part, because of a 1997 green Dodge Caravan.

Investigators have the minivan but have not revealed what was found inside or exactly why the van implicated Courtney in Wilberger's death.

On May 17, 2004, Courtney was cited for speeding in a green Dodge minivan near La Grande.

According to KGW News, the van is owned by Creative Building Management, a professional cleaning service.

Before his arrest, Courtney was employed as a cleaning crew supervisor in New Mexico, police said.

Courtney was supposed to appear in court in Lincoln County the day Wilberger disappeared.

"He apparently was travelling from Portland to Newport," Heiser said.

Courtney called the Lincoln County Circuit Court at 1:15 p.m. that day and left a message saying that he was in Corvallis on his way to Newport. He had been scheduled for arraignment on a charge of driving under the influence of intoxicants.

The Benton County grand jury that indicted Courtney on Friday, July 29, heard testimony from 16 witnesses, including Wilberger's family, investigators, FBI crime lab analysts and a physician.

FBI forensic DNA examiner Rhonda Craig testified by report before the grand jury. Craig, who works for the FBI Laboratory in Quantico, Va., has worked on cases involving crime and disasters to identify criminals and victims, according to an on-line biography

FBI DNA examiner Constance Fisher also testified by report. Fisher was a witness in the California trial of Scott Peterson, who was found guilty of murdering his wife, Laci Peterson, and their unborn child. Fisher testified about mitochondrial DNA testing in that case.

Heiser has indicated that the District Attorney's Office is ready to "pursue the case aggressively," even though Wilberger's body has not been found.

"Oregon law doesn't actually require recovery of the body of a murder victim," Heiser said.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2005/08/05/news/community/fri02.txt

Thank you SO much for all these links, updates, reports and detailed observations, Anngelique. Suberb references ~ highly appreciated. You have every detail of this case covered; kudos :)

You also sure seem to have figured out this Courtney-monster's route and beastly M.O.; Can only agree with you: seems he stumbled upon the unsuspecting Brooke en route to court (how ironic and bizarre is THAT!) That map is interesting and helps put everything into perspective (not that I even know which side of the road the uni or stadium is, lol)

Gee ... large river, too...

PolkSaladAnnie said:
Thank you SO much for all these links, updates, reports and detailed observations, Anngelique. Suberb references ~ highly appreciated. You have every detail of this case covered; kudos :)

You also sure seem to have figured out this Courtney-monster's route and beastly M.O.; Can only agree with you: seems he stumbled upon the unsuspecting Brooke en route to court (how ironic and bizarre is THAT!) That map is interesting and helps put everything into perspective (not that I even know which side of the road the uni or stadium is, lol)

Gee ... large river, too...

Yes, the Willamette is a very large river and it runs all the way to Portland and then eventually joins the Columbia. It is a beautiful river and most of our cities are built up around it. I doubt he dumped her in the river though, but he could have. I just think knowing this route like I do that he could have dumped her anywhere on the side of the road in a field, or just got off the main road a bit and can be in some forest land. Oregon is so heavily forested that it could be very hard to find a body around here. Hopefully knowing the route he took they can decide where to look next. Better yet, I hope they get him to finally tell where he disposed of the body. My guess is they might do this in exchange for the death penalty being waived. What do you guys think? A little plea bargain, we will spare your life if you tell us where Brooke is?

By the way, did you guys see he was trying to say it was a mistaken identity and they have the wrong name? LOL He is really worried now!

Anngelique said:
"Oregon law doesn't actually require recovery of the body of a murder victim," Heiser said.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2005/08/05/news/community/fri02.txt

From the link:
"Yesterday, he was contesting identity, saying that it wasn't really him," said Bernalillo County Assistant District Attorney Melanie Harper. "He was refusing to leave his cell."

The number of murder charges they have against him worries me. If each one represents a theory of how the murder occurred, that kind of says they don't know how the murder occurred, but they are going to get him anyway. Whatever evidence they have against him, must be pretty strong.

mysteriew said:
From the link:

The number of murder charges they have against him worries me. If each one represents a theory of how the murder occurred, that kind of says they don't know how the murder occurred, but they are going to get him anyway. Whatever evidence they have against him, must be pretty strong.

Remember they did not know how Laci died either and they were still able to convict Scott. I believe there is REAL DNA in that van and so they have much better evidence than the circumstancial they were using against SP.

Anngelique said:
Remember they did not know how Laci died either and they were still able to convict Scott. I believe there is REAL DNA in that van and so they have much better evidence than the circumstancial they were using against SP.

Oh they can convict without a body. But what I am afraid of is the jury saying wait a minute- you have no real idea of how she died, but you want us to convict. 2-3 scenarios looks like they have the info, just can't be sure of the details. 14 scenarios and no body..........they may not be as sure.

Thanks Anngelique for all your hard work that benefits the whole forum. :blowkiss:

I wonder why they said he was traveling from Portland to LCity when he called from Corvallis and on his way. No one would go all the way up to Portland and then track back to the coast! I think he probably took that road straight to McMinnville.

I think that as that is where he was last seen. The erratic driving has always told me she was still in the vehicle. I think she might have awakened from a blow, for instance, to the head and started screaming and bet she lunged for the steering wheel to try and make a scene to stop him.

If that is the case, wouldn't she be somewhere off that road that goes to McMinnville? Doesn't that road go through lots of fields and farms? I don't remember a lot of trees in that area. Do you have any idea Anngelique? Do you think she was still alive and in the car when it started to drive erraticly?

Scandi

scandi said:
Thanks Anngelique for all your hard work that benefits the whole forum. :blowkiss:

I wonder why they said he was traveling from Portland to LCity when he called from Corvallis and on his way. No one would go all the way up to Portland and then track back to the coast! I think he probably took that road straight to McMinnville.

I think that as that is where he was last seen. The erratic driving has always told me she was still in the vehicle. I think she might have awakened from a blow, for instance, to the head and started screaming and bet she lunged for the steering wheel to try and make a scene to stop him.

If that is the case, wouldn't she be somewhere off that road that goes to McMinnville? Doesn't that road go through lots of fields and farms? I don't remember a lot of trees in that area. Do you have any idea Anngelique? Do you think she was still alive and in the car when it started to drive erraticly?

Scandi

I know the road extremely well. There are mostly farms but there are trees along the way. You go through a couple small towns on the way, the biggest small town is Amity which you better be doing the speed limit as that little hole in the wall of a town is a speed trap. IF he turned left and headed back towards Dallas, Willamina, Grand Rhonde, Lincoln City, well then you get into some extremely heavy forest. I think that's why the authorities were asking where that green van has been. If someone saw it that could help determine which direction to look. Turning left on 22 would be truly the hardest place to find her. There are so many BLM roads and logging roads and just flat out thick forest. I wonder if she could have been alive too and started a struggle. Why else would he draw attention to himself with driving erratically and speeding? But he also could have had the adrenaline pumping and drove erratically.

I was raised in my early years in Willamina, teen years in Dallas and currently live in Salem. Like I have mentioned before I used to run a single copy newspaper route for the Statesman Journal. I was in charge of Dallas, Rickreal, Monmouth, and Independence. My exhusband was a Regional District Manager for the Statesman Journal and he was over Corvallis, Albany, Philomath and all those towns that are out in that area. That is why I know this area well. I may not know the names of each and every road but I have traveled even the back farm roads and the country forest roads. I just wish we knew in which direction he went from Rickreal.

scandi said:
Just trying to get my bearings here as I like to try to see it all on a map. I've been back through the press releases and can't see any mention of McMinnville - is it the quickest route to his family's home in Beaverton? And I can't find Rickreal on the maps - where should I be looking? Is it another suburb of Portland?

Scorpion said:
Just trying to get my bearings here as I like to try to see it all on a map. I've been back through the press releases and can't see any mention of McMinnville - is it the quickest route to his family's home in Beaverton? And I can't find Rickreal on the maps - where should I be looking? Is it another suburb of Portland?

There has not been any mention of McMinnville that I know of. But let me find a better map to get your bearings. Be right back.

Anngelique said:
There has not been any mention of McMinnville that I know of. But let me find a better map to get your bearings. Be right back.
Thanks - have now been on Topozone and followed the route through McMinnville and it does seem to go straight to the Beaverton side of Portland. Might well be something in it. But of course an absolutely huge area to go over if she is there. And he probably knows it all well. Just hope someone's memory gets jogged on the green van but sadly it may well not have looked too out of place at the time. Must admit, I always look for underground stuff or waterbodies when I'm studying maps on the assumption that someone wanting to get rid of a body would want to do their best to get it as far out of the way as possilbe, but if as you say it's densely wooded it's just going to add to the problem. In that event, it could be like some of the cases that have been coming through recently when hunters eventually trip over remains.

Okay, here is a map courtesy of the wineries in the Willamette Valley. :D

It shows everything that you would want to see.

Look for Corvallis, that is where Brooke was abducted. Rickreal is a straight shot from Corvallis on Hwy 99, you run into McMinnville if you continue straight on 99. If you turn left on Hwy 22 off of 99 you go towards the Ocean Beaches. This is the heavily wooded area I spoke about. If you turn right on Hwy 22 off of 99 you head into Salem. (where I live). Portland is a good hour and a half from Rickreal. McMinnville might be less than an hour from the Portland suburbs. I hope this helps.

PS when you locate Corvallis you will see Hwy 26 that goes straight to Newport. I believe Courtney's original plan was to take this road to court.

map-small_2005.jpg

Anngelique said:
Okay, here is a map courtesy of the wineries in the Willamette Valley. :D

It shows everything that you would want to see.
Yes, thanks - that's very helpful: helps me get to grips with the layout. Seems that even though the police know where the call was made from they're no further forward in finding Brooke. Shame the caller doesn't seem to have come forward with any other information. It's just incredible this could happen in broad daylight. Thank goodness one girl got away otherwise LE might never have been the wiser.

Here is where I got McMinnville and where he was by Rickreal at that junction. It5 was one of your posts Anngelique up high on this page:

"Most likely he took 3rd street as it actually turns into 99. 99 goes directly through Rickreal and then at the junction you can turn left and go to Dallas or Lincoln City, turn right and go to Salem or go straight and run into McMinnville. This is where Brian saw him driving erratically. Anngelina

Has there been any other written news today on the case. Just got home anam PPeeeDood! LOL

Scandi

scandi said:
Here is where I got McMinnville and where he was by Rickreal at that junction. It5 was one of your posts Anngelique up high on this page:

"Most likely he took 3rd street as it actually turns into 99. 99 goes directly through Rickreal and then at the junction you can turn left and go to Dallas or Lincoln City, turn right and go to Salem or go straight and run into McMinnville. This is where Brian saw him driving erratically. Anngelina

Has there been any other written news today on the case. Just got home anam PPeeeDood! LOL

Scandi

Ahh, I just meant you can go straight and run into McMinnville. He was seen near Rickreall which is at the junction of Highways 99 and 22. Sorry if I misled you. :blushing:

Well I guess when I read what you wrote I got the feeling she did something to make him drive a bit crazy which made someone notice the car it was near Rickreall. Thank goodness. And since you had mentioned McM I guess I assumed he would go straight ahead.

He probably gave her a swift blow to knock her out then, and I think he would want to do what he wanted with her and get her out of his car as soon as possible, don't you think? Now I'm not looking at the map, but if you cut from Rickreall to the coast wouldn't you encounter a more winding roadway and lots of trees, with gravel roads taking off and - gee I wonder if there are any little parks around? Like the little one by Sheridan on the S side of the Hwy.

Do you think he would bury her - he didn't know the area that I know of and he probably didn't have a shovel with him. He evidently didn't clean up the van very well. He probably has one of those careless personalities. The gal down south he had with him was naked when she ran out into the street to find help. Maybe Natalees clothes were in that van with her blood on them. And if there was evidence with luminol that there was a lot of blood thqat would be one way LE would be able to say she was dead for sure.

I'm sorry I'm rambling here - gees! LOL You get the mind trying to picture what could have happened and the next thing is that everything starts to pop out!

Scandi

EDIT: Well I got thinking. He didn't show up in court so maybe he didn't head for the coast. He had to get her out of the car and he had some trouble near Rickreall. Anngelique, is there anything around that area with a sign to it he might see that he would go to to put her - like a small park or a winery or something like that. A bridge? A river or pond? I don't think he went too far from R before he left her behind. He probably headed to Portland then since he didn't go to Newport. Anything unusual on that road from R to P where you could hide a body?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bumped41075
Back