OR OR - David 'Dave' Lewis, 46, Ashland, 4 September 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I do not know for sure but found this info. It sounds like it's basically a promise to pay, but likely not held in a special account waiting for the day someone comes forward and supplies the info.
  • An actual, valid offer must be made to create a contract of reward. The offer is merely a proposal or a conditional promise by the person offering the reward, known legally as the offerer. It is not a consummated contract until the requested action is performed. The person offering the reward can do so on any terms she wishes, and the terms must be met before the reward can be recovered.
Interesting! Thanks @Gemmie ✌️

Reward- A sum of money or other compensation offered to the public in general, or to a class of persons, for the performance of a special service. In legal terms, the person promising a reward is offering to enter into a contract with the person who performs the requested action. (West’s Encyclopedia of American Law)
  • When the reward is offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction, the return of property, the location of a missing person, or for other purposes, the person who furnishes the information is entitled to the reward. This rule applies even if, in the case of arrest, the person does nothing more than disclose the information and others make the physical capture. The informant need not become involved in the prosecution or appear as a witness at the offender’s trial to collect the reward.

Crime Stoppers does it this way:

Crime Stoppers is non-profit organization and operates on fundraisers, sponsors and donations.

If you give a good tip, the Board of Directors votes on a reward amount. It's paid to the tipper in cash through a local bank and it's all anonymous.

"We don't know their name, we don't know their number. We don't want to know."

In 2015 Crime Stoppers gave out more than $20,000 in reward money and last year they gave out more than $16,000.

This is a great policy!

On the local Medford, Oregon KTVL 10 news tonight, the Sheriff Dept. announced that it has dedicated two employees to investigate cold cases. Dave Lewis is one of the first two that will be re-investigated. Troy Carney, who was murdered the same day, is the other. Good news!

*These may be volunteers, come to think of it. They both (a man and a woman) looked close to or past retirement age and are said to have many years experience in LE. The man said they would look for anything that may have been missed and interview people in hopes they might remember something.

I found the video! KTVL CBS Channel 10 :: News - Top Stories - Cold case unit started in Jackson County
It's been 10 full years since I spoke with Woody Pollock at the JCSO in 2013. He was retired LE and seemed genuinely interested in sorting through Dave's case. He was very kind, thoughtful in his questioning and a good listener.

Earlier this year when I was in communication with Chris Adams-JCSO who had been assigned the case, he said that he wasn't terribly familiar with Dave's case, but that he had listened to my 2013 interview with Woody and he assured me he would go back through the case to familiarize himself with the timeline and characters involved. He told me that people above his pay grade had made a decision at some point not to pursue charges in the investigation.

It's a hard reality, but I don't think there's been any kind of active investigation since those 2013 interviews.

I'm curious what people think happened; who do you believe killed Dave?
- random stranger
- an acquaintance
- criminal associate
- friend
- family member
- lover

Chris Adams-JCSO who had been assigned the case, he said that he wasn't terribly familiar with Dave's case, but that he had listened to my 2013 interview with Woody and he assured me he would go back through the case to familiarize himself with the timeline and characters involved. He told me that people above his pay grade had made a decision at some point not to pursue charges in the investigation.

It's a hard reality, but I don't think there's been any kind of active investigation since those 2013 interviews.

- random stranger
- an acquaintance
- criminal associate
- friend
- family member
- lover
S&BBMFF

The 1st sentence I bolded makes me think the 2nd sentence is true, unfortunately. It makes me wonder who made that decision, and why.

I believe it to be an acquaintance with what little info I know about the case that I've gleaned from this thread. Except for the random stranger option (since you can't be a stranger and an acq, assoc, friend family or lover), I think it could be possible that it is multiple options.

S&BBMFF

The 1st sentence I bolded makes me think the 2nd sentence is true, unfortunately. It makes me wonder who made that decision, and why.

I believe it to be an acquaintance with what little info I know about the case that I've gleaned from this thread. Except for the random stranger option (since you can't be a stranger and an acq, assoc, friend family or lover), I think it could be possible that it is multiple options.
BBM

It would be Sheriff Mike Winters who made that decision not to pursue charges, if that claim is accurate. This interesting article about a review of Winters’ performance sheriff might provide an answer. He was known for his preference for “Good Ole Boys” when it came to promotions. Based on info in the second link, one could assume that preference extended to not pursuing charges in certain situations. JMO

The review further states, “Sheriff Winters neglected managerial and leadership issues core to his office, and often promoted based on a ‘Good-Ole-Boy’ network.”

Finally, the authors conclude “Sheriff Winters did not perform the functions deemed to be essential to the position he held.”

Medford, Ore. — From legal battles that cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars to allegations of abuse at the jail, Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters’ 12 years in office hasn’t been without controversy.

<snip>

More taxpayer money was spent in 2011 when an ex-sheriff’s deputy won a $200,000 lawsuit against the county after he said Winters fired him for arresting a former JCSO deputy and giving an Oregon state senator a speeding ticket.

According to our 2011 research, that lawsuit cost county taxpayers more than $479,000 alone. The money was spent on lawyer fees and the plaintiff’s award.

BBM

Last edited:
- random stranger
- an acquaintance
- criminal associate
- friend
- family member
- lover

IMO in order of likelihood, I would say…
friend
acquaintance
family member

This is just my gut feeling. I can’t support my opinion with facts.

IMO in order of likelihood, I would say…
friend
acquaintance
family member

This is just my gut feeling. I can’t support my opinion with facts.
My list in order of suspicion

Family member
Acquaintance
Friend
Criminal associate
Lover
Random Stranger

Last edited:
BBM

It would be Sheriff Mike Winters who made that decision not to pursue charges, if that claim is accurate. This interesting article about a review of Winters’ performance sheriff might provide an answer. He was known for his preference for “Good Ole Boys” when it came to promotions. Based on info in the second link, one could assume that preference extended to not pursuing charges in certain situations. JMO

The review further states, “Sheriff Winters neglected managerial and leadership issues core to his office, and often promoted based on a ‘Good-Ole-Boy’ network.”

Finally, the authors conclude “Sheriff Winters did not perform the functions deemed to be essential to the position he held.”

Medford, Ore. — From legal battles that cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars to allegations of abuse at the jail, Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters’ 12 years in office hasn’t been without controversy.

<snip>

More taxpayer money was spent in 2011 when an ex-sheriff’s deputy won a $200,000 lawsuit against the county after he said Winters fired him for arresting a former JCSO deputy and giving an Oregon state senator a speeding ticket.

According to our 2011 research, that lawsuit cost county taxpayers more than $479,000 alone. The money was spent on lawyer fees and the plaintiff’s award.

BBM
It definately makes you wonder, doesn't it? I have wondered who he meant by above his pay grade.

I'm also curious if the DA (2008-2013) could have been the one to make that call, possibly because of MW's undue influence in the interest of protecting that good ole boy network.

I know Dave considered Mike his friend but I wonder if MW wasn't more of an acquaintance interested in protecting community members that had $$$ or who he considered influential.

My list in order of suspicion

Family member
Acquaintance
Friend
Criminal associate
Lover
Random Stranger
To clarify, when I say family, I don't mean his next of kin or immediate family like his kids or exwife, and there's more than one family member (including extended family inlaws) on my short list.

I'm also curious if the DA (2008-2013) could have been the one to make that call, possibly because of MW's undue influence in the interest of protecting that good ole boy network.

That D.A.would have been Mark Huddleston. I don’t remember much about him. I just thought I’d name him for the record. Googling him he seems like a decent guy. I have a feeling the investigation never progressed past Mike Winters. In all fairness, often evidence doesn’t make it to the D.A. because there is obviously not enough to either charge or convict. I’m pretty sure that happened in Stephanie Warner’s case, even though “everyone knows” her boyfriend did it. But if you can’t prove it beyond a reasonable doubt at trial, there’s no point in proceeding. You only get one chance.

IMO, MOO

is criticizing a tombstone helpful or hopeful to solving this heinous, unbelievable crime? It seems so cruel ?

David was a son first, brother next, devoted father and friend to many ( especially Ashland)
Dave's counselor suggested/insisted: KILLED was proper and right.
Dave's attorney gave us the records. Personal.
Dead Indian Road ( as controversial the name)
is historic in that: pioneers finding deceased indians after an indian war, amongst themselves.
Back then, locations were defined by what occurred.
The Native American rock was hauled from afar.
The design by a world famous writer/artist who loved David ... surrounding him with what he lived and loved. HIS truths.
All which is followed by David's namesake on the eastern seaboard, just having birthed the great great granddaughter.
None of which solves this murder/arson/vile body burning. God forgive them. Is Criticism harsh and unnecessary?

To clarify, when I say family, I don't mean his next of kin or immediate family like his kids or exwife, and there's more than one family member (including extended family inlaws) on my short list.
His entire family ( extended) is cleared.
Beth Heckert inherited the case.
Hyatt Lake is where the death threat and, " burn you out," happened. Nearly fist to cuffs.
The law enforcement focus was there.

Crime Stoppers does it this way:

Crime Stoppers is non-profit organization and operates on fundraisers, sponsors and donations.

If you give a good tip, the Board of Directors votes on a reward amount. It's paid to the tipper in cash through a local bank and it's all anonymous.

"We don't know their name, we don't know their number. We don't want to know."

In 2015 Crime Stoppers gave out more than $20,000 in reward money and last year they gave out more than $16,000.

Crime Stoppers never offered a reward, as Winters never handled it.

<modsnip> Law enforcement works out from where the victim was last seen, who with, threats, money issues ( 20 million at Hyatt Lake , " down the drain," Mail Tribune article) lovers, *advertiser censored*'s, motive & ability to kill, former employers, neighbors, etc. etc.
All of David's family, inlaws, and outlaws have been cleared. This sickening crime was not his brother, sisters, cousins, Uncles or family.

IMO MOO, <modsnip: making accusations against other WS members>

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this all goes back to Hyatt Lake Resort. Not sure the case will ever be solved, however - not unless more than one person was involved in the actual murder and arson(s) and somebody decides to talk. All Jmo
Then sheriff Winter's ( now *advertiser censored*) stated:
these things take time, they are not solved overnight.
We were told by State Troopers ( multiple) that is not how law enforcement reacts. They usually stand with family, do multiple TV interviews, make the general public aware to lock doors, keep community watch, report suspicious activity, report anything which seems out of place. Michael did none of these.
His record, friendship with the victim, friendship with the people/persons of interest, and lack of pursuit and the following odd behaviors, lead some to believe the crime was not professionally being pursued.
IMO, MOO
Justice Denied

<modsnip> All of David's family, inlaws, and outlaws have been cleared. This sickening crime was not his brother, sisters, cousins, Uncles or family. <modsnip>
IMO MOO BBM
Again, I have been told, specifically and repeatedly, that absolutely noone has been cleared, maybe you have been told something different.

<modsnip: quoted post was snipped> I have spoken to JCSO about what I know about Dave's relationship to JH, as well as what I know about his BIL, DF and that he expected one of his siblings "to just show up" in relation to their demands for a share of his inheritance money.

IMO- Just because this person didn't actually get that money in the end doesn't relieve them of suspicion in this case.

<modsnip: quoted post was snipped>

IMO- I can't imagine a practicing counselor in good standing suggesting using the word KILLED on a headstone. EVER. It's disrespectful to the memory of the individual at the very least.

Noone I've asked has ever seen a memorial worded that way. Someone deliberately chose the words "KILLED" and DEAD INDIAN ROAD (it had been Dead Indian Memorial road for 15 years before Dave's untimely passing)

<modsnip: quoted post was snipped>

P E A C E
*Edited by me to include additional information
✌️

Attachments

• Yellow tape:Page's burial marker.png
    Yellow tape:Page's burial marker.png
    307.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
Crime Stoppers never offered a reward, as Winters never handled it.
I asked a question about how reward funds work and @Gemmie responded with a few examples of how rewards are handled.

We were not discussing whether Crime Stoppers was offering a reward in Dave's case.

After 15 years, I seriously doubt there's any reward actually available at all. I guess we'll see. They arrest people after decades all the time.

His entire family ( extended) is cleared.
Beth Heckert inherited the case.
Hyatt Lake is where the death threat and, " burn you out," happened. Nearly fist to cuffs.
The law enforcement focus was there.
@Sleuth2010 Can you expand on the exact scenario involving this threat? Was this on 9/3-9/4, or over Labor Day weekend? Who specifically made the threat?

All I've ever heard are vague rumors and what David told me about the situation himself. I know Dave didn't approve of McN's actions but I've not been convinced he followed Dave home and murdered him. How could he have anticipated whether David would say something or not?

IF McN indeed lost $20 million, it was not on Dave, there were multiple neighbors of Hyatt Lake Resort that filed against the resort with the county. I genuinely don't see Dave getting involved with land use zoning compliance committees no matter how much it irritated him.

To me, IMO- the one sibling's demand for a share of his inheritance and the threat of "just showing up" seemed, to me, more of a threat. He was genuinely concerned about an actual & (somewhat) unexpected confrontation.

IMO- I don't think LE was ever particularly focused on anyone, I've never seen a suspect or POI named.

IMO- I think the person that demanded the inheritance has made themselves out to be some kind of friend to LE.

All IMO & MOO

P E A C E

✌️

Two men were killed sometime in the early hours before dawn on September 4, 2008
BBM
Troy Carney's mother, Linda stated he must have died on the night of 9/1 or before 4 am on 9/2 as she tried calling him around 6 am on 9/2/2008.

Post in thread 'OR - Troy Carney, 44, Central Point, 4 Sept 2008'
OR - OR - Troy Carney, 44, Central Point, 4 Sept 2008

Post in thread 'OR - Troy Carney, 44, Central Point, 4 Sept 2008'
OR - OR - Troy Carney, 44, Central Point, 4 Sept 2008

I read through the entire thread and one thing occurred to me: in order to commit two separate acts of arson, the murderer had to bring his own accelerant. So who was seen filling gas cans around the time of the murder? Who smelled of gas after coming home that night?
IMO MOO
back on earth one and those who are truly interested in logic, facts, good law enforcement, awesome detectives, those with information. TY for this intelligent & logical thought.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody
Back