OR OR - David 'Dave' Lewis, 46, Ashland, 4 September 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We have had two (?) elected sheriffs since Winters. Has anyone from the family or the press approached either of them asking for the release of the autopsy/cause of death? Has a FOIA request ever been filed?
That's an excellent question. I called JCSO and asked about getting a police, autopsy or DNA report, but I'm not his next of kin or family and the investigator said they're still not releasing ANY information on the case. I'd like to see some fresh news, new interviews and hear what's happening with the investigation itself from the LE currently handling the case. I see in the news that the Oregon State Police are having good luck solving cold and unidentified cases. I wonder if reaching out to someone there might be helpful.

That's an excellent question. I called JCSO and asked about getting a police, autopsy or DNA report, but I'm not his next of kin or family and the investigator said they're still not releasing ANY information on the case. I'd like to see some fresh news, new interviews and hear what's happening with the investigation itself from the LE currently handling the case. I see in the news that the Oregon State Police are having good luck solving cold and unidentified cases. I wonder if reaching out to someone there might be helpful.

Of course, it’s quite possible that there is something in the autopsy results that only the murderer would know, so it wouldn’t be released until an arrest or trial. It seems to me that JCSO could at least reveal what is currently happening with the investigation and perhaps even why they won’t release any information, after almost 15 years. And it’s certainly worth asking JCSO if OSP is involved and if not, contacting OSP directly.

In my experience on the Stephanie Warner case, it was helpful to contact local TV reporters from the three stations, who had done stories previously and ask for a follow-up. I set up a new email that didn’t include my name for this purpose. The family wasn’t doing anything, so I did this as a private citizen, not a WS member (which we can’t do—against the rules). One eager-beaver reporter just starting her career at KOBI was extremely helpful and we developed a personal working relationship. She got interviews with the detective in charge, and with a formerly reluctant family member, scooping the other stations, so that kept the case in front of the public. And it was a good career move for her, as she ended up at a much bigger station in another state! If you can figure out reporters who are already into investigative reporting it’s even better. Even print reporters at the Oregonian can be inspired to do some digging. Or try Curtis Hayden at the Sneak Preview. He loves that sort of stuff! It helps if you’re willing to be interviewed, but they can keep your identity anonymous. Even if you’re on camera, they can film from behind and disguise your voice.

Wow, Dave's case sounds shockingly similar to my family member's murder in 2001. He also lived in a rural area and his house burned down. Initially it was believed to be accidental but after authorities investigated, they reclassified it as a homicide. No suspects have ever been identified in his case, but my family believes it may have had something to do with his son.

Did Dave have any family members/friends who may have had access to the property? Did he keep valuables in the house?
Hi, Please accept our heartfelt sorrow and condolences to you. Few know the feeling. We hope you have friends and family who are caring and helping you. For our family, all the family has been cleared. People throwing shade, aren't real friends of your brother. Keep that in mind, as you struggle thru this. The TOMMY FOUNDATION will help you, if necessary. Peace Be With You. Keep going ...

Pssst... c_s is a VI on that thread. It also appears that c_s created it. hehe ;)

I know. That’s how I found the thread. I posted the link because I wanted her family member’s case to get some attention. Is there something I’m missing in your post @Gemmie? :-)

Oh I get it @Gemmie LOL! You thought I was telling @citizen_sleuth that there was a thread about her great uncle. So you told me she was the VI who started it. And then I told you I knew that and I was just letting others know where to find it. Whew! I’m glad I finally figured out what your post was about. Too funny!

Earlier version dated 1/15/2011 "The Murder of Dave Lewis" blog

This website was created to generate leads, find witnesses and bring attention to the horrific murder of Dave Lewis. Law enforcement has made no arrests. No one has been ruled-out.

I got a call back from JCSO yesterday.
What [IN YOUR OPINION] needs to be investigated more thoroughly on this case?
What would YOU ask investigators?

View attachment 405016

I’m so glad to hear you’ve been able to communicate with a JCSO investigator! I’d like to know if they’ve ever had a POI (person of interest). Also, who has been ruled out and on what basis? I’m sure I can come up with more after my coffee kicks in! :-)

View attachment 405016
Some questions I can think of (not sure if they will be willing or able to answer these but it's worth a shot!):

- Were any tire tracks or footprints found at the scene that could help identify a perpetrator?

- Do authorities have a POI/suspect in mind?

- How was the determination of arson made? Was there evidence an accelerant (such as gasoline or propane) was used?

- Given the condition of the cabin, were officers able to recover any physical evidence (such as DNA, fingerprints, or hair) that could be used to include/exclude suspects?

- Did police check cell tower records to see if any other devices were in the area at the time of the murders?

- Did Dave frequent any local establishments (i.e., bars, restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, etc.) where he may have run into someone who wanted to cause harm to him?

- Where in the cabin was the body found (i.e., on the bed, inside the front door, etc.)?

- Was anyone staying in the summer cabin on the property at the time? Did Dave allow friends/family to stay there? Was there any evidence that someone had stayed in the summer cabin recently?

I'm deferring to our family VI. :)

Huh?

I couldn't possibly come up with as good of questions to ask than our family VI (Sleuth2010) so I'm deferring to whatever she comes up with. :)

Thank you for explaining your comment @Gemmie, but I hope you aren’t saying that the rest of us might not have good questions. :-) @citizen_sleuth came up with a very good list IMO. I look forward to the list of questions Sleuth2010 would like answered. These lists help organize our thoughts.
JMO

Huh?

Thank you for explaining your comment @Gemmie, but I hope you aren’t saying that the rest of us might not have good questions. :) @citizen_sleuth came up with a very good list IMO. I look forward to the list of questions Sleuth2010 would like answered. These lists help organize our thoughts.
JMO
That was my intention, to get a sense of what we would ask if given the opportunity. There's good crossover in the questions and it gets us thinking. I have a million questions but they might not be the same ones that YOU would ask.
✌️

Here's some [but not all!] of the questions I've asked.

Do you think there is any evidence that could be retested using technology that's now available?

Are there criminology students available for internships to help sort the information, go back over evidence or help work the case?

Any chance OSP would have additional resources available to help with the case?
✌️

I hope you aren’t saying that the rest of us might not have good questions.
Snipped for focus.

No, I am not saying that anyone else might not have good questions, I was talking solely about myself. *I* wouldn't have good questions and I would love to see what a family member, who knows a whole heck of a lot more about this case than I do (and apparently you all know a lot more than me as well), comes up with. Everyone's Q's are valid and other people's points of views get people to come up with more ideas. I simply wanted to see what Sleuth2010 came up with.

I'm sorry that my post came across negatively to anyone. I'm a little bewildered about that, actually.

Some questions I can think of (not sure if they will be willing or able to answer these but it's worth a shot!):

- Were any tire tracks or footprints found at the scene that could help identify a perpetrator?

- Do authorities have a POI/suspect in mind?

- How was the determination of arson made? Was there evidence an accelerant (such as gasoline or propane) was used?

- Given the condition of the cabin, were officers able to recover any physical evidence (such as DNA, fingerprints, or hair) that could be used to include/exclude suspects?

- Did police check cell tower records to see if any other devices were in the area at the time of the murders?

- Did Dave frequent any local establishments (i.e., bars, restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, etc.) where he may have run into someone who wanted to cause harm to him?

- Where in the cabin was the body found (i.e., on the bed, inside the front door, etc.)?

- Was anyone staying in the summer cabin on the property at the time? Did Dave allow friends/family to stay there? Was there any evidence that someone had stayed in the summer cabin recently?
Every single one of these are excellent questions!

One clarification, is that the two cabins that burned were about 5 miles apart, one was Dave's at the summit [12801] and the other was a vacation cabin [18196] down the road. It's a good question; was anyone staying there, or hanging around that second cabin.

Every single one of these are excellent questions!

One clarification, is that the two cabins that burned were about 5 miles apart, one was Dave's at the summit [12801] and the other was a vacation cabin [18196] down the road. It's a good question; was anyone staying there, or hanging around that second cabin.
I know that vacation cabins/homes are common targets for break-ins and squatters, especially if doors/windows are kept unlocked. I've even read of cases where vacant, remote properties have been turned into meth labs or stash houses -- I wonder if maybe someone set up shop in the vacation cabin thinking it was abandoned and ended up in a confrontation with Dave. That could also explain why the vacation cabin was also destroyed, too.

Snipped for focus.

No, I am not saying that anyone else might not have good questions, I was talking solely about myself. *I* wouldn't have good questions and I would love to see what a family member, who knows a whole heck of a lot more about this case than I do (and apparently you all know a lot more than me as well), comes up with. Everyone's Q's are valid and other people's points of views get people to come up with more ideas. I simply wanted to see what Sleuth2010 came up with.

I'm sorry that my post came across negatively to anyone. I'm a little bewildered about that, actually.

Thanks @Gemmie. Apologies for misunderstanding your words or tone...again. The word “defer” threw me off, as it can have several meanings/nuances. It’s all good. :-) I agree that the specific questions @Sleuth2010 would ask the LE investigator (or likely has asked) would be very instructive.

Another question I have is if Sleuth2010 can say if they have any kind of current dialog with the investigator or is someone else representing the family in having contact with LE? IMO It’s very important for family to stay closely involved with the investigation. I realize LE isn’t going to share details, but it’s more to let LE know the family is still watching and waiting. And of course, it’s always possible that the family blog sort of closed that door. If so, perhaps a conversation can be renewed.
JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Best Online Jewellery Mar
Back