OR OR - David 'Dave' Lewis, 46, Ashland, 4 September 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
(Link requires a subscription)

Have we ever gotten a definitive statement about whether the two cases are linked or not. I’ve heard it both ways over the years.
Hmm. I can click right on it, no problem, no subscription required. Weird.

I've also heard both that yes, there is a connection and no, there is not. I'm team yes there is a connection.

Unsolved So. Oregon: From the Ashes​

Posted byNewsroom StaffAugust 26, 2020
Last Updated: August 26, 2020

MEDFORD, Ore. –“In this case we have some strong persons of interest. But we just don’t have enough to make a strong criminal case,” said Cpt. Tim Snaith, Jackson Co. Sheriff’s Office.
Two shocking crimes miles apart yet connected.
“I spent many agonizing months investigating this case,” said Cpt. Snaith.
Captain Snaith of the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office won’t disclose the link, but confirms it’s there.
“We investigated both cases very thoroughly and looked for all the similarities and connections. People connections, things connections,” he said.

<modsnip for 10% copyright rule>

Attachments

• dave hands of love.jpg
    dave hands of love.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:

Now 14.6 years - - -

Today Marks the 6th Anniversary for Two Unsolved Murders

In the early morning hours of September 4th, 2008, two separate structure fires were reported on Dead Indian Memorial Road. The first was a seasonal cabin, located at 18196 Dead Indian Memorial Road. The entire cabin burned and the cause of the fire was determined to be Arson.

Within an hour of the first reported fire, a second fire was reported at 12801 Dead Indian Memorial Road, the residence of David Lewis, 46. David Lewis’ remains were found within the burned structure and further investigation revealed that Lewis died as a result of homicidal violence. The cause of the fire to Lewis’ residence was also determined to be Arson.

Later that same day, Troy Dean Carney, 44, was found deceased in his campsite on the Bear Creek Greenway. Investigators determined that Carney died as a result of being shot with a firearm.

Initially during the investigation, detectives believed there was a link between the two murders. However, after extensive forensic tests it is believed the two cases are not linked.

The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office Cold Case team continues to investigate both murders. Both cases are still considered active investigations. Anyone with any information about either murder can call the Jackson County Tip Link at 541-774-8333

edited for ws rules & brevity*

Last edited:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver

<modsnip: broken link> David E. Lewis, 46, was found dead Sept. 4 in the burned remains of a cabin he had rented for decades on Dead Indian Memorial Road. An autopsy confirmed that he was killed before the fire was set with accelerants, Fogarty said.

Investigators suspect someone who knew Lewis had ventured up the long driveway to his secluded mountaintop cabin, then had come inside and killed him. Detectives aren't disclosing how Lewis died. They also note that the total destruction of the cabin has eliminated much evidence.

Lewis was a longtime area resident, known for protecting the land and helping neighbors, his family said.

"We've talked to a lot of people," Fogarty said, listing friends, family, neighbors, people Lewis did work for, teens partying at a nearby quarry and bow hunters stopped in the area the night before Lewis' death.

"There's no business deal or personal relationship gone bad that we can see," Fogarty said. "There's no clear motive."

I found this photo of Dave online recently.
He always had such a great smile

I emailed the Jackson County Sheriff's Department again last week. I hope the lack of response means they are looking into the information I was able to send over.

If you have any information on this case, please call Jackson County Sheriff's Department

Jackson County Cold Case Team (541) 774-6800.

If you wish to remain anonymous, you can call the JCSO Tip Line at (541) 774-8333.

Attachments

• IMG_8641.jpeg
    IMG_8641.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 10

I emailed the Jackson County Sheriff's Department again last week. I hope the lack of response means they are looking into the information I was able to send over.

If you have any information on this case, please call Jackson County Sheriff's Department

If you wish to remain anonymous, you can call the JCSO Tip Line at (541) 774-8333.

Dave does have a great smile. It's very warm, open, and genuine looking. :) Thanks for sharing.

I hope his boys inherited his smile! I’m so glad you continue to follow up with JCSO @Red Clover. Keep up the good work.

Oh, I'm thinking they have inherited Dave's smile. It would be hard to imagine otherwise. :) Shine on, boys!

And as Lilibet said... +1 on being glad you continue to follow up with JSCO. :)
I hope his boys inherited his smile! I’m so glad you continue to follow up with JCSO @Red Clover. Keep up the good work.
Thanks you two! All three of his boys resemble him in some way for sure. I wish he was here to see them grown, mature, and to see and know his grandchildren.

I'll keep poking the JCSO and encourage them to take the case seriously. Hopefully they're going back through the evidence, and the interviews and (fingers crossed) gathering new evidence and conducting new interviews.

✌️

I have been thinking quite abit about David these last few months. I have had some nagging questions all these years and I have to tell you I STILL think it's the money; specifically the checks from his mother's death and the distribution of the property his parents owned in Delaware. Who benefited? Dead men don't cash checks. Was that money ever accounted for and distributed to his next of kin; his boys, or was it left in the pot to be divided between the remaining three siblings? Dave's eldest sibling passed in 2014, and had no children, so then who inherited their share?
I'm telling you.
FOLLOW. THE. MONEY.

✌️

Attachments

• IMG_8317.jpeg
    IMG_8317.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 7
David's home & all belongings.
Did you take these pictures of the cabin's remains @Sleuth2010 ?
I have not seen any of them in the media, but there are a few on this early version of this site. There's no photo attribution, that's why I ask.
*Edited for grammar

Last edited:
One of the first news stories

KDRV Channel 12
By Andrea Pettes & Emily Wood
September 4, 2008

The log cabin's owners say there was nothing that could have started the fire from the inside of the cabin. The building did not have electricity, and no one had used the stove. They say they don't have insurance on the building.
"The two fires were basically minutes apart, and so things just look odd, that they came in that way," says Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters... "A lot of interviews that will be conducted in the area....and we're bringing in the resources to get that done."

I have been thinking quite abit about David these last few months. I have had some nagging questions all these years and I have to tell you I STILL think it's the money; specifically the checks from his mother's death and the distribution of the property his parents owned in Delaware. Who benefited? Dead men don't cash checks. Was that money ever accounted for and distributed to his next of kin; his boys, or was it left in the pot to be divided between the remaining three siblings? Dave's eldest sibling passed in 2014, and had no children, so then who inherited their share?
I'm telling you.
FOLLOW. THE. MONEY.

✌️
David's money went to his xwife and sons.
Follow the money...20 million @Hyatt lake.
Dave's lake.

Were Dave's next of kin able to account for all of his motorcycles and dirtbikes after his death?

Was Conde Creek road marked with yellow tape by the killer on 9/3-9/4/2008?

Conde Creek Road is off Dead Indian Memorial Road between the two arson sites; David's driveway (12801) and Keno Access Road (18196)
There are roads that can be traversed by motorcycle, motorbike, hiking & camping, jeeps, etc. Right spot-on the facts.
Just after the cattle-guard on the left hand side, CONDE CREEK "road," yellow tape marked it their sickophant cowardly day.

David's money went to his xwife and sons.
Follow the money...20 million @Hyatt lake.
Dave's lake.
How does the 20 million resort relate to Dave? He wasn't invested in the resort as far as I know. Sure he knew they weren't playing by the rules and they fired him over petty nonsense but what evidence is there that he was murdered based on what he knew? What they were doing with the resort wasn't a well kept secret. I'm genuinely asking. Is there any actual evidence that you know of that BMc
murdered Dave?

Newswatch 12 KDRV
By Andrea Calcagno
September 5, 2008

Very little is left at the properties, both located off Dead Indian Memorial Road. On Friday investigators covered the land surrounding what's left of the home located on the 12,000 block of Dead Indian Road. Investigators say of the eight people working the crime-scene, each has a different theory about what happened

Newswatch 12 KDRV
By Andrea Calcagno
September 5, 2008

From the article:
“Very little is left at the properties, both located off Dead Indian Memorial Road. On Friday investigators covered the land surrounding what's left of the home located on the 12,000 block of Dead Indian Road. Investigators say of the eight people working the crime-scene, each has a different theory about what happened”

I’d love to know the different theories the eight people working the crime scene had!

It seems that if we follow the money it leads in two theoretical directions:

1) Dave had money and possibly possessions someone wanted. Did he have a will? Was there probate? Did someone circumvent the will by taking what they wanted from Dave the night he was killed? (Oh shucks it was lost in the fire)

2) Dave was interfering somehow in the development plans for Hyatt Lake and had to be stopped. But what could Dave do to stop it? Did he have some influence on the commissioners denying more expansion? Could he have threatened to destroy what had been built illegally? Would he?

What other theories did the investigators have?

Last edited:
From the article:
“Very little is left at the properties, both located off Dead Indian Memorial Road. On Friday investigators covered the land surrounding what's left of the home located on the 12,000 block of Dead Indian Road. Investigators say of the eight people working the crime-scene, each has a different theory about what happened”

I’d love to know the different theories the eight people working the crime scene had!
Ohhh me tooooo!!! Id love to go through those case notes.
It seems that if we follow the money it leads in two directions:

1) Dave had money and possibly possessions someone wanted. Did he have a will? Was there probate? Did someone circumvent the will by taking what they wanted from Dave the night he was killed? (Oh shucks it was lost in the fire)
MOO-This is my supposition-MOO Someone traveled to 12801 DIMR specifically to confront Dave and take what they believed they were entitled to that night. IMO It was planned and well executed leaving almost no evidence.

I don't know if he had a will, if he did, it could have been in the cabin. I guess he could have had something filed with a lawyer or it's possible he could've not done that yet as he was only 46. I'm sure his next of kin knows.

Either way anyone that knew him would know EVERYTHING would go to his sons. That was the whole thing about not sharing his inheritance when he was asked, he had HIS OWN CHILDREN to be concerned about.

In the end EVERYTHING (unless it was in a bank) was destroyed, so there's no legacy of his art or his tools or of anything besides the vehicles. IMO I find that to have been extremely personal and vengeful on someone's part; to leave nothing of him behind. MOO-It feels like jealousy to me-MOO

AFAIK and from what @Sleuth2010 posted above, any known money he possessed at his time of death (that IMO MOO wasn't stolen or destroyed by fire) went to his kids (one son was still a minor, so his mother, Dave's exwife JF would have been legally responsible)

...but that doesn't answer my questions about the inheritances...

Did someone benefit financially from Dave's death?
Did they inherit more than they would have had Dave lived?
Unless those checks were taken they burned in the fire. Were they ever reconciled?
2) Dave was interfering somehow in the development plans for Hyatt Lake and had to be stopped. But what could Dave do to stop it? Did he have some influence on the commissioners denying more expansion? Could he have threatened to destroy what had been built illegally? Would he?
That's the 20 million dollar question, isn't it?

I don't think Dave had any actual influence over anything that could affect what BMc was doing.
They were definitely building illegally, and Dave had been employed directly to build these (we now know) illegal structures.

IMO His ace in the hole was that he knew the sheriff MW because he lived on the mountain too and it's a small community.

David did say to me that he would/could tell MW the nitty gritty details of BMc misdeeds at the resort (specifically illegal buildings encroaching on federal property) I don't know that he actually did, but I think he thought that might have an impact if it came down to it but IMO I really doubt MW cared, he knew about the encroachment after the fact for sure and never acted personally AFAIK.

Any action taken against the resort or preventing further development happened by concerned citizens and neighbors going through the legitimate Jackson county commissioner land use process after Dave's death.

I haven't heard of other citizens being harassed or harmed as a result of holding this company accountable, so why would they want to harm Dave who was a regular patron of the resort and was just MAD that they had fired him for petty reasons?

Petty reason: He told me that they accused him of stealing returnable cans from a shed/outbuilding- he was shocked and hurt by the accusations, besides not needing the few dollars from cans, it was insulting after all the work he'd put in on the property.

He had no reason to actually report them but IMO he had a right to be angry and to voice his opinion about what was happening at Hyatt Lake Resort and even to THREATEN to report them.

However, there was no benefit to Dave for reporting them, no upside. There was also no financial benefit to the Resort if Dave was no longer present. They had the county's approval. IMO Dave wasn't a threat.

Like I said, it was not a secret that they were placing and selling manufactured "cabins" in the resort, they got the county's initial approval for the development; it was approved as an RV campground and Dave had nothing to do with that process, he was a builder.

I just don't see it myself. I understand others have their points of views and that's valid too. None of us know what happened except Dave and his killer and Dave's gone. He can't fight his battles anymore.

What other theories did the investigators have?
I would love to know!!

Excellent questions! Thank you @Lilibet ✌️

IF Troy was killed because he could potentially identify someone who had traveled to the Rogue Valley area and used the Pilot Truck Stop in Central Point around Labor Day weekend in 2008, AND this someone were intent on confronting Dave at his home; they could have used this route to avoid being seen going through Medford or Ashland or on any major highways. MOO

Note: One person at the memorial told me they were camping on Soda Creek.

A big thank you to @Sleuth2010 for the tip about Conde Creek Road being flagged with yellow tape that day/night.

ETA I'm not sure the map I made is working properly. My apologies if not.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thundercoyote
Back