OR OR - David 'Dave' Lewis, 46, Ashland, 4 September 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think this all goes back to Hyatt Lake Resort. Not sure the case will ever be solved, however - not unless more than one person was involved in the actual murder and arson(s) and somebody decides to talk. All Jmo
What is it about the situation at Hyatt Lake that makes you think this case is unsolvable? Is there something or someone specific you can point to?

IMO: I haven't seen anything from LE that has led me to believe these people were involved. I'm surprised the resort hasn't sued like BB and his company did to stop the ongoing slander.

MOO: All these years I've thought that aspersions were being cast towards the folks at the lake (who for sure should have been abiding by land use laws) and many others, to take the heat off of somebody closer to Dave who had a personal financial motive (his part of his parents estate.)

I'd be happy to be wrong about my own suspicions; I formed this opinion within a few weeks of his death due to extremely manipulative behavior that was exhibited towards my family and myself in person and on social media (this person asked me to lie <......> in the weeks after his death)

David's actual next of kin have never been the public face of this case. Someone inserted themselves as the spokesperson on day one and then by the end of 2009 had intimidated many if not most of Dave's closest friends and family into not speaking.

I've said all this to the investigators at JCSO.

This is based on my personal knowledge and personal experience.

ALL STATEMENTS ARE IME, IMO, MOO

EBM: for clarity and punctuation

Last edited:
IMO, MOO, IME, LMNOP:

The police are working on this. That is good, Red Clover, that you are contacting the Jackson County Sheriff's Office.
You should go there in person.

As previously stated, all of David Lewis' money went to his xwife via sons. All of David's family has been cleared.

All tips from email & phone, go directly to the authorities. The detectives will put the shiny bracelets on.

Ask for Captain Detective Snaith or Sheriff Sickler: 541-774-6800 Great men.

Last edited:
I read through the entire thread and one thing occurred to me: in order to commit two separate acts of arson, the murderer had to bring his own accelerant. So who was seen filling gas cans around the time of the murder? Who smelled of gas after coming home that night?

Two men murdered that Labor Day time 2008

Troy Dean Carney

David Edwin Lewis

Open cases, no arrests.
15 year mark approaches

Dave's body burned to 40 pounds. Beyond human recognition. His home destroyed. Not his SPIRIT

What do you know about Troy Carney and/or Dave Lewis’ murders? Rewards are being offered for information leading to the arrest of the person/person’s involved in their murders.Troy Carney’s family is offering a $2,500 reward and Dave Lewis’ family has a $20,000 reward for anyone who can provide information leading to an arrest. While the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department is the lead on these cases, ANY law enforcement officer can take your report, from ANY jurisdiction. The Jackson County Sheriff ‘s telephone number is 541-774-6800. The Ashland Police Department’s telephone number is 541-488-2211 and their anonymous tip line is 541-552-2333.

IMO MOO
I wrote as a clearer explanation for sleuths to follow and understand: there is no infringement right, as I authored it. TY.

Two men were killed sometime in the early hours before dawn on September 4, 2008 within a thirty-five mile radius in Jackson County, Oregon Nearly five years later, ( now 15) both murders remain unsolved and the friends, siblings, parents and families of Dave Lewis and Troy Carney are connected in a way that words can’t reach as both have had to find a way to keep going without any resolution, despite their grief and pain.

It’s been five years ( 15 now ) without closure, but the answers are out there somewhere.

Forty-six year old Dave Lewis lived in a cabin on the summit of Dead Indian Memorial Road just on the outskirts of Ashland. Photos taken before his murder, captured a man who seemed quick to smile and his obituary noted he was, “intense and unforgettable, a rascal and a live wire.” Dave loved fishing and spending time with his sons.
The first call came in shortly after 2:30 AM on September 4 when a passerby reported a fire on Dead Indian Memorial Road. Fire crews were dispatched and before they were finished cleaning up the site of a burnt vacation home, a second call came in, alerting officials to another fire about five miles up the road. By the time the fire crews arrived at the scene, Dave Lewis’ home was burnt to the ground and within the charred rubble, the crew discovered the body of
this father of three and friend to many. Photos from the crime scene show tall, jagged, burned columns against ash and yellow crime scene tape flapping in the breeze.

Later the sheriff’s office would speculate that Lewis’ killer crept quietly up the mountain road to his cabin, used accelerant to ignite the fire and then slipped away into the dark shadows of the wilderness before being discovered. Investigators found Lewis was killed before the fire was started and it is not clear whether he was killed inside his home or at a separate location. While fire erases clues from a crime scene, it does not erase memories for those who bear witness and investigators know that there were traces and clues left behind.

TROY CARNEY
In his mid-forties, Troy Carney was by all accounts an adventurer. “He was a free spirit,” his mom, Linda Wood said in an email. “He enjoyed the adventures that life had to offer.” Carney traveled the country, often finding day laborer work at truck stops, loading and unloading cargo. He was between jobs, so after spending time with old friends in Medford,Carney telephoned his mom to update her on his plans. He was [going to] “camp out while waiting to get more work on another truck,” she said. That was the last time his mother heard his voice.
Before his death, the last time anyone remembers seeing Carney was on September 1 when a surveillance tape at the Pilot Truck Stop caught him walking away from the building. The Pilot was a place he’d been showing up regularly to eat, use the phones and earn a few dollars doing quick, odd jobs for the truckers. Described as a “likable guy”, Carney was quick to help others. His mother stated,“Troy was killed by someone he had met just a couple day’s before, someone he trusted as a friend and it has to be someone that was camped very near to him cause he would never tell anyone where he was camped, said it was safer that way. That person knew he was supposed to leave town that next morning and he would not have left without saying goodbye to a friend.”
Carney was camping along the edge of the Bear Creek Greenway, a normally tranquil path that follows the creek for a 17 mile stretch from Ashland to Central Point. It is a place that many transients call home and the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office makes semi-annual sweeps and had just rousted campers a few weeks before the murders. Carney might have pitched camp near the Pilot Truck Stop, expecting to catch some quick work and a ride back East, but he never got that chance. Sometime between when he was last seen and on the afternoon of September 4, when a passerby found his body inside his sleeping bag, a killer walked the greenway path. There was no sign of a struggle as Carney was shot in his head while sleeping. Other campers nearby must have heard that shot echo through the darkness of the evening. While investigators have talked to
eople who were in the area, they have not been able to root out answers.

The killer did not rob Carney and police have been unable to identify a clear motive for his killing. “Troy was not a drug user,” his mother said. Autopsy results did not find any trace of drugs or alcohol in his system at the time of his death.

Then in the early morning of September 14, someone set fire to the crime scene and a flames ravaged the area. The rough terrain and wildness of the Greenway prevented firefighters from being able to arrive quickly at the scene. The arsonist was never found.

In 2010, the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department released a statement which says that “through the course of the investigation, an evidentiary link between the two homicides was discovered.” They have not released any information and there is no new information available on either case.
In June 2012, “Fishhook Dave’s” memorial stone was placed against the edge of the bike path along the Greenway and Mountain View Cemetery in Ashland. Standing next to it, one notices the growing birch tree nearby and a spectacular view of the rolling hills off in the distance. The face of a wolf and an eagle’s feather envelopes the words “Beloved son, brother, father, and friend David Edwin Lewis, Aged 46, Born December 23 Wilmington Delaware, Killed September 4, 2008 Dead Indian Road, Ashland Oregon. The most loving man on the mountain. He said it the way it was and it was the way he said.” There is an uneasiness there at the edge of the cemetery where the red winged blackbirds come to rest on the top of the fence, on what should be a sacred and peaceful place, as the community still waits for answers.

IMO MOO JMO
PLEASE direct all information to detectives and law enforcement. Thank you so much.

Please remember our missing and murdered this Labor Day weekend, those who, "died or disappeared at the hand of another," any not listed, our apologies, our hearts are with you

troy carney
garren beller
david grubbs
jessica starr bethany
stephanie warner
william huey huson
kyron horman
roger johansen
koni berry
dennis cole
baby stevie crawford

david edwin lewis

Thank you to all first responders and detectives Those who seek justice for others

WE SEEK JUSTICE BECAUSE VICTIMS CAN NOT

♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️❤️♥️

Arrests should be made in this heinous, vile, killing and body burning. 15 years psychos are free. Justice Deserved.

Attachments

• DEL eagles.jpg
    DEL eagles.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 5
IMO, MOO, IME, LMNOP:

The police are working on this. That is good, Red Clover, that you are contacting the Jackson County Sheriff's Office.
You should go there in person.

As previously stated, all of David Lewis' money went to his xwife via sons. All of David's family has been cleared.

All tips from email & phone, go directly to the authorities. The detectives will put the shiny bracelets on.

Ask for Captain Detective Snaith or Sheriff Sickler: 541-774-6800 Great men.
Thanks for taking the time to respond Sleuth2010. I have, in fact, been to the Jackson County Sheriff's Office in person, but thank you, it's an interesting suggestion.

Since January 2023 I have been in touch with Chris Adams, a medical examiner with the JCSO and the person handling Dave's case. He is not as familiar with David's life or the case as you or I, but he was working his way through the case file last I communicated with him.

My understanding from those communications is that, at this point, noone has been eliminated as a potential suspect.

In my correspondence, I made him aware of the yellow flagging you posted about in February 2023, that you said marked Conde Creek road on the day of Dave's murder.

✌️

Attachments

• YELLOW FLAG Conde creek Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 2.47.08 PM.png
    YELLOW FLAG Conde creek Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 2.47.08 PM.png
    416.2 KB · Views: 13
I read through the entire thread and one thing occurred to me: in order to commit two separate acts of arson, the murderer had to bring his own accelerant. So who was seen filling gas cans around the time of the murder? Who smelled of gas after coming home that night?
The fires on Dead Indian Memorial Road were in very rural locations where it's not uncommon to have outdoor vehicles, chainsaws, and kerosene lanterns. Dave was a known welder so he had acetylene tanks as well as multiple vehicles (jeep, pickup, work truck, motorcycles , etc) on the property. I remember seeing an old fashioned oil can under a tree behind where the cabin was on that day of the memorial 9/14/2008, the same day Troy's camp in Central Point had been burned.

Here's the other side. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a headstone with a "killed" date. I find it a little strange someone chose to word it that way. It's also interesting that he's listed as son and brother before father. I know being a father was THE single most important thing in his life. I've often wondered what Dave would think of all the symbolism. I think he'd like the art, the picture of the mountain, the lake, and the wolf and feather he had tattoos of. I do love the picture that was chosen, that's how I'll always remember him.

1695680214582.png

It's been Dead Indian Memorial Road since 1993. Who decided to use the old name? (Maybe someone who hadn't lived in the area since before 1993?)
Maybe due to space on the headstone to leave 'Memorial' out? And I too have never seen Killed on a headstone, nor a street name on one for that matter.

Maybe due to space on the headstone to leave 'Memorial' out? And I too have never seen Killed on a headstone, nor a street name on one for that matter.
Thank you for validating my observation @Gemmie
It's possible that space was the issue but there are some that were never happy with the name change.
I've seen headstones inscribed with birth-death dates or born-died w/date-place but never born in X town-killed on X road.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how rewards work? If it's posted that there's a $20,000 reward leading to arrest and conviction, is that held in a bank account or in a trust fund (in this case for 15 years) or with LE, or is it up to the family or whoever offered it to make good at the time of conviction after the arrest has been made?

Attachments

• IMG_8317.jpeg
    IMG_8317.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how rewards work? If it's posted that there's a $20,000 reward leading to arrest and conviction, is that held in a bank accounts or trust fund (in this case for 15 years) or with LE, or is it up to the family or whoever offered it to make good at the time of conviction after the arrest has been made?
I do not know for sure but found this info. It sounds like it's basically a promise to pay, but likely not held in a special account waiting for the day someone comes forward and supplies the info.
  • An actual, valid offer must be made to create a contract of reward. The offer is merely a proposal or a conditional promise by the person offering the reward, known legally as the offerer. It is not a consummated contract until the requested action is performed. The person offering the reward can do so on any terms she wishes, and the terms must be met before the reward can be recovered.

Crime Stoppers does it this way:

Crime Stoppers is non-profit organization and operates on fundraisers, sponsors and donations.

If you give a good tip, the Board of Directors votes on a reward amount. It's paid to the tipper in cash through a local bank and it's all anonymous.

"We don't know their name, we don't know their number. We don't want to know."

In 2015 Crime Stoppers gave out more than $20,000 in reward money and last year they gave out more than $16,000.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody
Back