OR - David Durham sought in shooting of Lincoln City PD officer, 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n..._victim_news_conference_to_begin_shortly.html

Update on Lincoln City shooting victim

10 a.m.: Dodds' daughter, Meghan, and doctor arrive. She says he dad is better and can communicate with her by turning his head and squeezing her hand.
"I'm really proud of him," she says.

She says her mother has been there as well as some friends.

"Just a big thank you," she says for all the support.

......................................snip................................

Doctors says one more operation is planned and that Dodds will return to "full-functioning status."

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My mom has a healer dog and I love her so much. Healers are special dogs. I was worried about his dog being killed or hurt. I am happy that "Huckleberry" has been found. I hope it's leg is healing and that it finds a warm and loving home.

Huckleberry is fortunate indeed as he finds himself needing a home in Oregon. That will not be a problem, I can assure you. Many comments were made under the Oregonian article by Heeler keepers about how devoted these dogs are. The point was made that the dog probably tried to follow Durham but he went over a fence. There's also the possibility that Durham has enough empathy to separate from the dog knowing that the dog could be harmed. The irony is that the dog could have helped police locate the man.

I wouldn't be surprised, in the least, to hear that Huckleberry is already in a loving foster home--one devoted to Heelers. Huckleberry probably really misses Durham but it's likely that he knew something was terribly amiss with his master.

From Fran's link above, I just had to snip what, to me, amounts to a miracle:

"Dr. William Long speaks about the system that has been in place to handle trauma cases in rural Oregon. Dodds was bleeding from a vein in his pelvis and lost 10 liters of blood. He praises the medics who assessed the situation and called ahead for the helicopter. He said Dodds was operated on within two hours of his injury. "Everything came together," he said.

Dr. Seth Izenberg: He injured his iliac vein and had multiple bowel injuries. "Everybody worked perfectly to save this guy's life. I was just the guy with the knife," the surgeon says. There were at least two shots, the surgeon says.

Dodds has had three surgeries so far. Doctors say one more operation is planned and that Dodds will return to "full-functioning status."

"To be shot in the line of duty, that's a big deal," Izenberg says. Doctors thought he would do well almost from the beginning.

"His brain function will probably be better than mine," Dr. Izenberg joked of Dodds. "He's made significant improvement." Izenberg said. "I do not expect limb loss."

Izenberg credits Dodds' overall health as key in his recovery...."

Just the guys with the knife, huh? Man, doctors can be miracle workers, can't they? The trauma guys are amazing. Just when you're almost resigned to certain death or permanent serious disability, they announce something like this. Just like Gabby Giffords. Strong spirits, strong bodies, and great doctors.

I was so impressed with Officer Dodds' daughter. She's only a teen and yet so mature and centered. I'm certain he must be proud of that young woman.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...e_goes_national_tonight_on_americas_most.html

Search for David Durham scaled back; case goes on 'America's Most Wanted' tonight

"The search for accused cop shooter David Durham goes national tonight as a segment on &#8220;America&#8217;s Most Wanted,&#8221; locally on FOX (KPTV 12).

Lt. Jerry Palmer of the Lincoln City Police Department said he and Lincoln County dispatchers will begin fielding expected phone tips after the segment first airs on the East Coast at 9 p.m. EST, 6 p.m. PST, and later in the evening when the show airs on the West Coast at 9 p.m. PST.

Durham, 43, of Northwest Portland, has been on the run since Sunday night after police said he gunned down Lincoln City police officer, Steven Dodds, 45, during a traffic stop on U.S. 101 just south of the city line. Dodds remains in serious condition at Legacy Emanuel Hospital after three surgeries to repair massive belly wounds, but is expected to recover...."

and

"....JF (a local store clerk), like many others, has his theory about just where Durham is, was, or may be. He thinks Durham, after taking shots at sport crabber, AS, near the inlet to Alsea Bay late Sunday night, walked and swam across the inlet and escaped the noose that law enforcement attempted to tighten around him.

&#8220;On a slack tide, the water out there is not that deep,&#8217;&#8217; JF said. &#8220;I think he got out of here as soon as he could.&#8221;

more at link

Also, remember how I commented upthread about the photo from the convenience store. One could plainly see Durham's beret and clothing but there was no long hair visible. I wondered if he'd tucked it up under his beret. There was an interview the other day with the last person to see Durham before the shooting, the clerk at the store:

http://www.kptv.com/news/26644652/detail.html

"....E says he didn&#8217;t see any weapons on him but says Durham was anxious and appeared to be on a mission. &#8220;This guy is very, very edgy. Again, that was one of the first impressions. He was on edge, very quick, very nervous,&#8221; he says. &#8220;I&#8217;ve seen it too many times in my life. This guy is not going to hesitate.&#8221;

A flier of Durham posted around town shows him with long hair, which is how police are describing him. But E says there&#8217;s no way Durham tucked all his hair under the beret. He believes Durham was clean shaven with short hair...."

more at link

I wonder if Officer Dodds has been able to answer any questions yet about the appearance of Durham? If the man's hair was cut short, he would have a very different appearance, IMO, and LE needs to offer an artist's rendering of that possibility.

Amazing how everything is so interconnected, isn't it? A tiny bit of good in the midst of so much sadness. I read this morning that the spot on AMW was only 8 seconds so I'm pleased that the tips are coming in. I'm still very concerned that Durham made a swim for it. If he got out of the "ring" of LEOs, he could be anywhere. But where's the SUV?

Does anyone suspect that the upgraded search for Kyron today, in Portland, has anything at all to do with Durham?

I saw it on AMW but it was the picture of him with his long hair down. IIRC he was wearing his hair under a beret that night and those changes can really make someone look different. I wish they had shown both pictures.

redsky--If you'll look upthread at my Post #25, you'll see that the last person to see Durham before the shooting described him as having short hair. The man said that there was no way he could have tucked his long hair up under that beret. I don't know quite what to think.

redsky--If you'll look upthread at my Post #25, you'll see that the last person to see Durham before the shooting described him as having short hair. The man said that there was no way he could have tucked his long hair up under that beret. I don't know quite what to think.

Thanks Miss. I missed that somehow. I wish they had at least said that on AMW. But at least it's some publicity and maybe there will be some tips from outside of the immediate area.

Amazing how everything is so interconnected, isn't it? A tiny bit of good in the midst of so much sadness. I read this morning that the spot on AMW was only 8 seconds so I'm pleased that the tips are coming in. I'm still very concerned that Durham made a swim for it. If he got out of the "ring" of LEOs, he could be anywhere. But where's the SUV?

Does anyone suspect that the upgraded search for Kyron today, in Portland, has anything at all to do with Durham?

I don't know if the upgraded search for Kyron had anything to do with this suspect, but I'm a little unnerved about the {coincidences} in the two cases.

According to the below article, David Durham started acting different during the early part of June of last year. Kyron disappeared in the early part of June last year.

The suspect in the officer shooting in Lincoln City, has a home on Suavie Island. The heaviest search for Kyron was on Suavie Island and the suspect's home is within the perimeters of the Kyron Horman search area on Suavie Island.

I've seen some people opine under some news articles that could be why he didn't want to be arrested and ran, because he COULD be involved in Kyron's disappearance.

It's also been said, can't remember where? he was involved in printing. I think there's some type of correlation with one of the removed person's in the Kyron case, who was also involved with printing. :confused:

It'll be interesting to see IF they do end up connected.

JMHO
fran

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n..._to_turn_himself_in_to_police_peacefully.html
But about six or seven months ago, David Durham sustained a shoulder injury and started taking pain medication that had been prescribed by a doctor, his brother said.

Yes, David Durham has been employed at a print shop for many years. He's also an avid landscaper, per numerous reports. Wasn't the man approached about a "hit" in Portland (connected with Kyron's family) also a landscaper?

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/114651479.html

Ore. family pleads with suspected shooter to turn himself in

"...David Durham works at Willamette Print and Blueprint in Northwest Portland...."

more at link (also a photo of David's older brother, with whom he shares a resemblance, IMO. It's terrible to compare a man with the shooter but the brother's appearance could be helpful in showing the public what David might look like with short hair.)

I am so curious as to who prescribed this medication for Durham. Southern Washington and the Portland area have had a number of recent scandals involving pain clinics who have over-medicated their patients without appropriate supervision. I believe a couple have recently been shut down.

Just thinking out of the box for a moment. Could the medication have been cannabis? Medical marijuana cards are quite common in Oregon and pain is one of the medical issues covered. We've seen a number of totally out of character incidents of violence committed by men who have been using pot or have just stopped (Daniel Butts, the man who killed the Ranier, OR police chief).

Medical grade cannabis is contraindicated for anyone with psychosis as it can greatly exacerbate the symptoms. The THC is far higher than the typical pot available on the street. Being that a MM card holder can grow their own or identify a grower, they would have pretty much unlimited pot to treat their pain as they saw fit. Oregon is quite generous as to allowances. And obviously, this same medical grade/high THC pot is also available on the street--just for much higher prices.

Just a thought. We desperately need some medical studies on the appropriate use of cannabis as a medication, IMO. I've seen it work wonders for people with MS or pain but I think that there's so much more we need to learn.

This is the story I was thinking of:

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-cou...ractice_alleging_excessive_amounts_of_op.html

Four plaintiffs accuse Vancouver [WA] pain clinic of medical malpractice, alleging 'excessive amounts' of opiates prescribed

"Four plaintiffs have filed a wrongful death and medical malpractice lawsuit against a Vancouver pain clinic, alleging it prescribed excessive amounts of drugs that caused multiple overdose deaths and addictions....."

and

"....Agents from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration raided the clinic after they received numerous complaints that it was prescribing extremely high doses of opiates. Washington's Department of Health also was investigating the nurse practitioners after receiving numerous complaints.

The clinic had prescribed oxycodone to a Gresham man who was sentenced in Multnomah County for selling the drug to teenagers across the river in Oregon...."

and

"....Calls to the Payette Clinic have not been returned. The voicemail for clinic's phone number now says KB and co-owner SC run Walnut Grove Medical and Mental Health, at 300 W 39th St. Their website says: "new name. same providers. same great care...."

more at link

I believe there have been other investigations against other clinics, also. And note that this clinic is in Vancouver, right across the bridge from Oregon. The article states that they prescribed for both patients from WA and OR. David's home was 20 miles away.

God Bless Officer Dodds. Hoping his next operation goes well and he's back home with his family very soon.

Izzy, as far as that shoulder injury and aliens and pain medication. I'm no expert, but I can't for the life of me think of any opiate that would cause that much of a change in a personality. There has to be a combination of something, and probably a prior "hidden" issue.

The only way I can see a seemingly everyday Joe let alone a valiant one point blank shoot a police officer and it has to do with opiates is if he was out of them and sick and needed to get more or he was holding.

Just me, but I'd even say that medical weed would have you more apt to be paranoid.

Hoping they find him quickly. If he was on pain medication still by this time if he had none on him he kicked already. Depending on how much he was taking he could have gotten fairly sick wherever he was.

But where's that SUV? I hope he doesn't hightail it out of Oregon like Paul Winklebleck did after assaulting the two young ladies. Sometimes, It's really shocking how the perps can slip through the tightest net.

After thinking through my earlier post all day, I'd have to say that if Durham was a pot smoker, no doubt he'd been one for a long time. High grade pot is easy to come by in Oregon and he was known as an avid gardener. One rarely see psychosis rear it's ugly head in middle age. No, the meds probably were in pill form. But why wasn't he under a doctor's care, if these meds were prescribed by a doctor? Why weren't those pills being counted? The man didn't live on the streets. He had a home, job and family. His behavior was changing and surely more people than just his brother and girlfriend noticed.

So many questions.

Has anyone looked through the search, vigil, Wall of Hope pictures from the past 6 months, to see if DAD is in any of them?

Wondergirl, I'm confused. What photos are you speaking of? I don't know that much about Kyron's case. I see that there's a Wall of Hope in place for him at Skyline but where would one look at photos? Thanks. If there's something to be researched, I'll be happy to do it.

Missizzy, I was looking on the Kyron FB Group at some pictures and it struck me that maybe any pictures on news sites etc. should be looked at to see if DAD was in any of them? If he is any way connected to Kyron's case, which is pure speculation (based on geography and certain other coincidences), then perhaps it might be useful to look?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
username_not_found
Back